PDA

View Full Version : Right angle splits

CarpeDM
February 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I've recently stumbled upon a section of hair that has several right angle splits. Is there any way to "unbend" them? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and trim them off? TIA

MermaidTresses
February 27th, 2012, 11:10 AM
ahhhhh! I see those from time to time, too! I just cut them as I can't fathom that they'll straighten out eventually or lay nicely. I think they'll just end up splitting in time.

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I typically trim them off unless I think it may not be a split but just a bend in the hair that's causing this. If it's just a hair bend, I re-wet the hair and the bend goes away. Sometimes we can sit funny against our hair and cause it to bend in unfamiliar ways.

heidi w.

CarpeDM
February 27th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I typically trim them off unless I think it may not be a split but just a bend in the hair that's causing this. If it's just a hair bend, I re-wet the hair and the bend goes away. Sometimes we can sit funny against our hair and cause it to bend in unfamiliar ways.

heidi w.

When I deep oil the ends, they seem to settle down, but they also seem to keep resurfacing, I wonder what is causing them?

Amber_Maiden
February 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Definitely cut them off. If you don't they will just eventually split.

Anje
February 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I get little kinks in my hair like that if it's too dry. Moisture treatments seem to reduce them and make my hair less prone to them.

my2cats1
February 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Does it only happen in a certain section of hair? Could it be that you are rubbing the ends of your hair against a purse strap, seatbelt, or the back of your chair?

Zhennni(:
February 27th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I get them too :( I get them when I put my hair in a bun or do anything that involves tucking the ends in :( I have no idea why

CarpeDM
February 28th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Does it only happen in a certain section of hair? Could it be that you are rubbing the ends of your hair against a purse strap, seatbelt, or the back of your chair?

It does seem to be happening in one specific area. I normally wear my hair up so I'm not sure what could be causing it.

CarpeDM
February 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I get little kinks in my hair like that if it's too dry. Moisture treatments seem to reduce them and make my hair less prone to them.

My ends are really dry as I have not had a trim in almost 9 months, so I keep oiling and oiling but I have to wonder is this normal with longer hair? constant oiling due to persistent dry ends...

Anje
February 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM
My ends are really dry as I have not had a trim in almost 9 months, so I keep oiling and oiling but I have to wonder is this normal with longer hair? constant oiling due to persistent dry ends...
Oiling doesn't always fix dryness. It can help, and I think it helps some people more than others, but I don't think it's the only solution.

If you haven't clarified in ages, I'd suggest you start with that. Buildup can contribute to dryness a lot, and many unsaturated oils like to build up. I like SMTs for moisture treatments, but even letting your ends have a nice long soak in conditioner will probably help.

DarkAlice
February 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM
oiling usually seals in moisture unless im mistaken, so would misting your hair with water til damp then oiling ensure proper moisturization?

CarpeDM
February 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure, but I'm using tons of conditioner and oil to keep the dryness at bay, I've tried to clarify in the past but that only makes it much worse and the dryness is awful! It might just be time for a trim, in the past that ususally eliminates the dryness and my ends are soft again...

DarkAlice
February 28th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm using tons of conditioner and oil to keep the dryness at bay, I've tried to clarify in the past but that only makes it much worse and the dryness is awful! It might just be time for a trim, in the past that ususally eliminates the dryness and my ends are soft again...

i would try wetting your hair thoroughly and just applying a oil to seal such as coconut oil and see if it helps, u only need a scrape of the fingernail worth anymore then that and its grease haven