PDA

View Full Version : hair klutz accomplishment

berr
July 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Confessionz of a hair klutz:

My hair is tailbone length and I never could braid it while growing it unless I put a hair tie in it. Well, work almost demands my hair be braided, I'm tired of putting it up only to get stray bits caught on things because I'm always in so much of a hurry. (no moving parts really, I just snag my hair a lot)

The elastics, gentle as I found them, no metal bits, encouraged my nape hair to tangle and break.

I finally managed to start braiding without an elastic. It took putting this stuff in at my nape so I could get good separations and smoothed together wet hair that was easier to sort behind me. http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_STY-ORG106.htm

Has anyone else had any experience with this stuff? I'm trying to go without cones and I finally found that page for the ingredients and one certainly says cone. Can someone tell me if this stuff will cause further damage? At the moment, it seems to be helping. My hair feels really good when I take the braid out.

Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Anje
July 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I don't think the stuff is going to cause damage, but both of the first ingredients are 'cones (Cyclomethicone, Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane), so you are at risk of the stuff building up if you don't shampoo it out regularly. It also has some protein, which your hair may or may not like long-term.

One of the main concerns with 'cones is that they create a watertight seal around hair. That can mean that they'll seal moisture (water) in or out. They also make hair feel quite slippery and often nice, without actually improving condition in and of themselves. However, if the slip they add prevents breakage and you don't end up with dryness, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't keep using this product if it works for you. If your hair starts behaving strangely, clarify and moisturize. Then you should be able to continue use.

tomm
July 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
One of the main concerns with 'cones is that they create a watertight seal around hair. That can mean that they'll seal moisture (water) in or out.
Actually, 'cones do not prevent water from entering/leaving the hair shaft (if you apply 'cones on wet hair, the hair eventually will dry). What is true is that they are most effective than most conditioning ingredients at slowing the rate at which water does enter/leave.

Both of the 'cones in the Organix serum are cyclomethicones - which means that they are made of of relatively small molecules with a ring-like structure (as compared with dimethicone, for instance, which is made up of very large, linear chains). They basically will evaporate over time at room temperature; and residual film is easily removed by COing or washing. Interestingly, some people find that the evaporation process will cause the layers of the hair cuticle to lift, which is exactly what you don't want to happen. Read this article on silicones (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones), and this one on cyclomethicones (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curly-q-a/curlchemist-cyclomethicones-a-different-category-of-silicones), both by CurlChemist for more information.

As for whether you should continure using the serum - I agree with Anje. If your hair is not showing any negative effects, and if it helps, then I would keep using it.

I hope this helps.

berr
July 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM
Thank you for the info...

My next question: Would pure jojoba oil give me the same type of effect?

My problem it seems is getting the hair smooth enough to braid. I'm sure with LOTS more practice I might be able to braid my hair wet WITHOUT this assistance. Once I get the braid far enough down to toss it over my shoulder I have no trouble wth the rest of the braid. I can then comb and smooth any wild hairs.

After being so frustrated for years trying to braid the back I'm so pleased that this has left my hair smooth enough to handle the length without it clumping or separating It still isn't REAL neat with a few stray bits at the nape. I can braid other peoples hair just fine. Even french braid, I just cant seem to do my own. (sniffles)

Nevermore
July 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM
I find that heavy oiling works better than braiding wet, wet hair (on me) is "grabby" which is good for buns, but it makes it harder to braid. Heavily oiled hair (heavily oiled=hair that you couldn't wear down because it would look like you hadn't washed for quite awhile) is smooth and the oil I use, vit e+soybean+coconut makes my hair stick-together-y, which is different than grabby, it's easier to separate for the braiding, the shorter pieces lay down with the others and it stays smooth.

So yes, using enough oil can probably give you the same or better effect, though I can't comment specifically on jojoba.

ps: filling in your hair type would be very helpful with this, I'm sure people will start asking soon.