PDA

View Full Version : Trim Splits With Nail Clippers?

rakueru
February 26th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Is it okay to trim slit ends with nail clippers? I've been doing it a lot lately since I don't have hair scissors that are sharp. I tried to look it up here, but couldn't find anything, but then, impatience tends to get the better of me. Thanks. :)

Bunnysaur
February 26th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I would just spring for hair scissors. Nail clippers are sharp, but they might be a little hard to wield in your hair.

Miss Catrina
February 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I guess it depends on the scissors. The nail scissors I have laying around can't even cut nails (it bends them), so I couldn't imagine doing it. But if yours are adequately sharp, I don't see a real issue. Probably better than leaving the splits there.

Sillage
February 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/K8hBg.jpg

rakueru
February 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Well... The ones I've been using are pretty old, but I do have a sharp pair. I really should go to those, if any. xD

Miss Catrina
February 26th, 2012, 08:03 PM
You can definitely get hair scissors cheaply at places like Wal-mart, Meijer, Kroger, etc. They tend to cost 10 bucks or less and are with all the other hair goodies. They feel terrible to me now since I've been using $200+ professional shears, but it's got to be better than nail scissors. :p

Savahead
February 26th, 2012, 08:08 PM
To me it seems like a bad idea as they cut by force (compressing until what is in them breaks) rather than sharpness, like scissors or a blade.

Also, it is probably very uncomfortable and difficult to maneuver accurately.

Kyla
February 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM
It's probably not the best idea, honestly. Use either sharp normal scissors, or hair scissors preferably.

mzBANGBANG
February 26th, 2012, 08:22 PM
My impression is that it wouldn't smooth the end of the hair the way a pair of nice sharp scissors would. The blades of the scissors slide next to each other to make the cut while the blades on nail clippers chomp together. I'd be afraid of pointlessly losing length because I wasn't getting a clean cut, but I'm sure it depends on the clippers. I know if I used the ones in my house I would be doing more damage definitely!

jeanniet
February 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't. The blade would be more likely to crush/cut the ends of hair, and you want a nice, clean cut. If the end is crushed, then it's more likely to split again. But if you have a microscope, you could try clipping a shed hair and looking at it magnified to see if it looks shredded. I have a microscope, but I'm too chicken to put my hair under it. :p

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 08:34 PM

Hahahaha I love this

rakueru
February 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM

This is FUNNY! :spitting:

rakueru
February 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM
My impression is that it wouldn't smooth the end of the hair the way a pair of nice sharp scissors would. The blades of the scissors slide next to each other to make the cut while the blades on nail clippers chomp together. I'd be afraid of pointlessly losing length because I wasn't getting a clean cut, but I'm sure it depends on the clippers. I know if I used the ones in my house I would be doing more damage definitely!

Actually, I've been getting a cleaner cut with the nail clippers than I have been with the scissors I own. That's how crappy the scissors are. >.<

rakueru
February 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't. The blade would be more likely to crush/cut the ends of hair, and you want a nice, clean cut. If the end is crushed, then it's more likely to split again. But if you have a microscope, you could try clipping a shed hair and looking at it magnified to see if it looks shredded. I have a microscope, but I'm too chicken to put my hair under it. :p

That sounds cool, but I don't have a microscope or magnifying glass. I'd probably be too chicken to put my hair under one, too. xD

NymphSpirit
February 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM

hahahah, that was my reaction too! I don't think it's very good for your hair :o

Amber_Maiden
February 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't. Not sharp enough and would probably later result in a new split.

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
For the price of a Starbucks drink, you can just about buy a nice pair of scissors. Put the nail clippers down, for Heaven's Sake!! (you're shredding your hair ends.)

heidi w.

rakueru
February 27th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Man, it's hard to learn that I'm doing the wrong thing! :doh: However, I'm 16 years old, without a job, without money, and without a parent willing to spend money on "trivial" things. I'll stop with the nail clippers, but I don't really have a lot of options. Are regular scissors ok? I've seen several posts stating vehemently that they're terrible, so I don't know what to do. :(

Zefyra
February 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hair scissors are the best. I understand about parents though... Perhaps, if its something you believe, try to convince them how much money you would save on trimming your own hair, with nice/decent scissors, over having to go to the salon instead? Parents like reasonable arguments. Sound reasoning and the like. Or save up whatever money you happen to come by (offer to clean the couch and keep all the change you find or something :D) until you have enough to buy a pair, and just try to prevent any new splits in the mean time....

silverjen
February 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Pre-LHC, I trimmed my split ends with nail clippers. I kept on getting more and more and more splits, but only in the areas I had already trimmed. They were definitely splitting my hair! It's better not to trim splits at all, than to trim with nail clippers, in my experience.

I think you could probably find decent hair scissors for $10 or so. They would be fine as long as they got used on hair only.

jeanniet
February 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Man, it's hard to learn that I'm doing the wrong thing! :doh: However, I'm 16 years old, without a job, without money, and without a parent willing to spend money on "trivial" things. I'll stop with the nail clippers, but I don't really have a lot of options. Are regular scissors ok? I've seen several posts stating vehemently that they're terrible, so I don't know what to do. :(
Do your parents pay for your hair cuts? You could tell them that a $10 pair of scissors would mean visiting a salon less often.

On another note, maybe there are ways for you to earn money. Can you do any odd jobs for your parents, grandparents, neighbors, etc.? Babysitting, maybe? I hate to see teenagers without a way to pay for things. We don't buy our kids things like iPods, XBox, etc., but my 15 year old has ways to earn money, by working for his grandparents (yard work), mowing for us (it's an acre of high weed mowing, so tough work), and things like that. You can't learn to be responsible with money if you don't have any!

Sillage
February 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM

That's a very difficult position to be in Rakueru. Would a $6.74 pair of cuticle scissors (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=31559&productId=31559&navAction=jump&navCount=3) be out of the question?