PDA

View Full Version : Jojoba oil as a heat protectant?

iloveyourstory
February 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I've stopped using silicones entirely but I'm having one issue...what to do for a heat protectant? I used to use the spray ones full of silicones, the aveda serum, and the CHI serum. Now that I'm without all of those products, what do I use? I don't use heat that often, but can I use jojoba oil? I've read that you need to use silicone based products because it coats the hair and protects it better. What do you think? :bull:

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Try Agan oil mixed with jojoba

HylianGirl
February 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM
hm.. I'm no expert, but... wouldn't oils+heat fry your hair?

SoulOfTheSea
February 26th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I've done this before, and let me tell you, the results weren't great. First off, it made my hair smell terrible. Second, it made my hair all lank and it didn't look shiny at all. I wouldn't do it if I were you, just out of personal experience. (I did this on my high school graduation in June! Eeek!)

Mopolop
February 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I tried various oils when straightening, I didn't get good results from any of them. :(

longhairedleah
February 27th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I never use silicones either, but if on the rare occasions that I use heat on my hair I use as much as possible! I like Moroccan Oil because it doesn't make my hair greasy and I can use a ton of product! BioSilk is also good, but I prefer the Moroccan Oil (it's a brand, not just argan oil)

My hair is pretty weak as it is I think, I don't want to risk any heat damage!!

rock007junkie
February 27th, 2012, 09:35 AM
The one oil I keep reading around that it's very effective as a heat protectant is grapeseed oil.

Sammich
February 27th, 2012, 09:41 AM
hm.. I'm no expert, but... wouldn't oils+heat fry your hair?

I was going to post this.

Yeah.
Oils and heat = doom

Try oil on your skin in the sun. Youch, I've done that before!

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm not certain that all oil, no matter the type, is the best idea when applying heat. What happens to oil when you heat it? If you cook, you know. Frankly, I am unaware of anything truly protective of the hair when applying heat. Such as these serums they sell for flat ironing. Based on my observation of hair's overall health as a result of such practices doesn't convince me overly that the serum or agent applied as a protectant really worked.

heidi w.

Anje
February 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
If I were you, I'd use a silicone heat-protectant when I used heat, and then not use them the rest of the time. I'm under the impression that they do reduce the amount of damage that using a hot appliance causes, but your hair will do better in the long run if you simply eliminate heat styling.

What's your reasoning for eliminating silicone? I know my hair does better without it, but that's hardly a universal fact. If you don't have problems deriving from silicone use, there's no reason to avoid it, since it does cut down on tangles and therefore damage.

chou
February 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Oils are heat conductors. Silicones are plasticky insulators and I imagine they work something like the rubber coating on electrical wires. Using oils on your hair with anything that gets above the boiling point could be even more damaging than using nothing at all.
Silicones aren't necessarily bad for your hair, go back to using them if you know that you use heat regularly and they worked for you before.

DarkAlice
February 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM
any kinda oil and direct heat is going to be scary...and it could be a fire hazard your hair might burst into flame..well depends on how hot the straightener or hair dryer get haha

Shermie Girl
February 27th, 2012, 12:04 PM
No, jojoba oil will not protect your hair from heat. Heat+oil= cooking/frying. This is true for food or hair.

missoj
February 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I use Naked Style Heat Protectant it's silicone free. The entire Naked Style range is free from sulphates, parabens or petrochemicals and are 97% natural. This is the first product I've used from their range and so far I like it. It's a bit heavy but I noticed on my own hair that it makes it helps my hair get straight faster (when I blow dry my hair). I'm not sure about its availability where you are, I found it after a few months of searching as it's only available through one company where I'm from and only at selected stores.

ErinLeigh
June 10th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I just read shea butter is a good heat protectant, one that can rival silicones.
Does anyone have experience blow drying and using shea? I am considering trying a shea/grapeseed mix or a shea/jojoba mix.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 11th, 2014, 12:12 AM
As far as i know, nothing can protect hair from heat. If it did, it would also not style the hair.

If you have to use heat, use it on dry clean hair only. It damages hair more if hair's damp or oiled. You can (and should!) use oils afterwards though.