PDA

View Full Version : I'm Really Sensitive About It (pic)

Vanille_
February 26th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I'm too embarrassed to wear my hair in anything that shows my scalp. One person made a comment a long time ago, "You are going bald!" and now I get really sensitive about it. I was wondering if this is normal for dark haired folks or if I really do just look silly. Would castor oil help? Are there ways to hide how white my scalp is but still be able to do styles like this? Does it have to do with how I'm parting it?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/DSC020121-1.jpg

Avital88
February 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
im sorry, but the one who told you that has to go get his/her eyes checked!
Nothing wrong with your part,its just the dark hair, i have the same

holothuroidea
February 26th, 2012, 06:38 PM
*audible gasp*

You hair is GORGEOUS!! The color and the shine. :D

The scalp thing is silly, someone was just trying to make you feel bad. Don't let them. Your scalp to hair ratio is perfectly normal.

Chetanlaiho
February 26th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Honestly it looks fine to me, you can see that you definitely still have lots of (very pretty) hair, I quite envy your thickness ^_^

Vanille_
February 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
But on TV, sometimes I see girls with dark hair and I don't see their scalp. They either have a lot of hair or there is some secret to parting. I know sometimes it's just a lot of teasing.

Lipbalmbabe
You have great hair! I don't see any balding, but I have had luck with castor oil to grow my hair in thinner spots.

misspurdy06
Your part is normal. If it still bothers you, try a zig zag part. It always works for me.

roxee
I have dark hair and my scalp looks exactly the same, scalps all look white because hair protects the skin and dark hair has most contrast with the scalp. In no way do you look like your going bald

Bunnysaur
What?! You have beautiful hair, and I can't see a single thing wrong with your scalp.

Slightly OT: My brother has had a bald spot on the back of his head since he was about 10. We used to tease him that he was slowly turning into a monk.

manderly
February 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM
There is nothing wrong with your hair - that's what a part looks like ;) That person is nuts and you have nothing to be concerned about.

Long_hair_bear
February 26th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I have very dark brown hair and have the same looking part, so if you're going bald, so am I and we can freak out together. :D

elbow chic
February 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I'm with everyone else, whoever said that should have her eyeballs/head examined. You do have a lot of skin/hair contrast and it's beautiful.

princessp
February 26th, 2012, 06:48 PM
What everyone else said, your hair is so pretty I have no idea what this person was talking about. :eye: It's gorgeous. :flower:

holothuroidea
February 26th, 2012, 06:48 PM
But on TV, sometimes I see girls with dark hair and I don't see their scalp. They either have a lot of hair or there is some secret to parting. I know sometimes it's just a lot of teasing.

This just made me think about those QVC infomercials with Joan Rivers and her "Great Hair Day." :laugh:

"On TV" isn't a great way to gauge what's normal and what's not.

annamoonfairy
February 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Your hair is beautiful and your scalp looks normal. I think the person was justa hater and being mean.

Isilme
February 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Your hair and scalp looks fantastic. I love the contrast between the dark brown hair and the dark red!

Sillage
February 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Your hair is beautiful and your scalp looks normal. I think the person was justa hater and being mean.

This has to be it because there is no way you look like you're going bald. What a strange comment for anyone to make.

Babs1039
February 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Oh my goodness, you are not going bald at all. I just can't believe someone would have the audacity to make such a comment to you. I have dark hair as well. I get the same look when I part my hair and my hair is relatively thick. It is probably more noticeable like mine because of the contrasting colors. I mean what do they want you to do? Tan your scalp (which I don't recommend what so ever!!!) I wouldn't be ashamed at all to wear my hair parted like that. It's really cute!

And please don't allow someone else control the feelings you have about yourself...it took me a long time to learn to truly not care what other people think about me. It's your opinion that matters most, because after all you are the one who has to live with your own thoughts about yourself. Don't ever give someone that kind of power over you! ;)

Sammich
February 26th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Jealous people like to make the jealousee(lol) feel bad.

Mesmerise
February 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Honestly, I get where you're coming from. No, your hair looks just fine to me BUT I'm also aware that all it takes is one insensitive comment from someone to make you intensely paranoid about one of your features!

You have plenty of thick hair, so there's no way you're going bald... but parts can highlight your scalp. To me, I'd think nothing of it if I saw someone with a part like yours. I would notice how thick your pigtails are though :D.

So, I think the moral of the story is not to listen to other people? I know it's tough... because if someone notices something we will pay more attention to it as well, and start to worry. But the fact is 99.9% of people won't think anything of it.

lillikins
February 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Whoever told you that was either blind or just being snarky. It looks great.

PixxieStix
February 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Looks a lot like my part. *shrugs*

Vanille_
February 26th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I'm probably just being paranoid. Thanks everyone! I should stop worrying what people think so much. I mean, it's just a part. Most people aren't probably even paying attention to my hair. One of the downsides of being obsessed with hair, I think everyone must be as obsessed as me and will surely notice any flaw I have.

Miss Catrina
February 26th, 2012, 07:09 PM
It looks like a pretty typical parting to me.

kwaniesiam
February 26th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Same boat, dyed black hair super pale skin = part a mile wide. It gets worse when my medium-light brown roots come in and my hair is thin to begin with. I just live with it.

lostchyld
February 26th, 2012, 07:19 PM
That looks exactly like my pigtail part. I have dark brown hair and super fair skin. It's normal for the part to look like that and I don't know any way to make it contrast less without looking really bad.

Whoever said that about your hair doesn't know what they're talking about.

CurlyCap
February 26th, 2012, 07:31 PM
It looks like a normal part for a person with fine/medium hair.

As aghast as people with light hair may be, we can't all be blondes. :D And contrast is going to happen!

Mrs. K
February 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Your part looks normal. Just the way dark hair contrasts with your scalp. At times when I don't want my scalp to be so noticable, I dab some dark brown eye shadow on my part to make it less noticable. I also use brown eye shadow to color my roots along my part.

alyanna
February 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Can't believe what people blurt out sometimes!

Your hair looks lovely and quite thick. Don't even think twice about it.

Amber_Maiden
February 26th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Seriously- nothing is wring your part! You do not look like you are balding, you look normal! And your hair is beautiful!!!

vendethiel
February 26th, 2012, 07:54 PM

I have dark hair and pale skin, so my part is very light in comparison to my hair. The girls you see on TV are probably wearing wigs. Wigs don't allow you to part your hair to show the scalp (especially not in the way natural hair allows). Sometimes you can see the scalp under a thin layer of semi-transparent material, but oftentimes you cannot see it at all. So, take comfort in the fact that you have your hair and it is beautiful.

Miss Catrina
February 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Honestly, I get where you're coming from. No, your hair looks just fine to me BUT I'm also aware that all it takes is one insensitive comment from someone to make you intensely paranoid about one of your features!

You have plenty of thick hair, so there's no way you're going bald... but parts can highlight your scalp. To me, I'd think nothing of it if I saw someone with a part like yours. I would notice how thick your pigtails are though :D.

So, I think the moral of the story is not to listen to other people? I know it's tough... because if someone notices something we will pay more attention to it as well, and start to worry. But the fact is 99.9% of people won't think anything of it.

I agree, I totally understand why a comment like that would freak you out. I was always happy with my hair - until one day when my friend touched and said "OMG, your hair is so thin!" ...And that led to the first time I got it cut really short.

Reality of the situation is, my hair isn't "thin" at all, it's fine, but not remarkably so at all. I see people with far less hair density and thickness than me every week now that I'm a cos. student, and I'm better off with "thin" hair than long, thick hair brushed so forcefully you could hear the snapping and breaking from across the room, which is what my friend had.

Listening to people is such a mistake. :p

elfgirl
February 26th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Your part looks normal to me! And your hair's colour and texture are beautiful! :)

Unicorn
February 26th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Your parting looks standard to me... Maybe this person was just teasing? teasing along the lines of "look there's a spider on you back", taking pleasure in watching you contort lookng to the spider... People are strange, but you parting really is standard, nothing to worry about.

Unicorn

B-L
February 27th, 2012, 12:35 AM
You have the same part like me.. and I never even tought about it beeing too noticable :hmm: I don't see anything wrong with you hair! It's beautiful and the person that said those things must be jealous!

But I know how you feel.. Someone once told me that my babyhair around my forehead is really ugly and it stuck in my head for a long tim.. I've learned to live with it and I don't care anymore...

Shepherdess
February 27th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Your hair is beautiful! People say hurtful things sometime and it was not true what they told you.

kitten1986
February 27th, 2012, 02:14 AM
OMG your hair is stunning! And your part is completely normal, I have dark hair and my scalp is white as snow underneath, so dont be embarrassed at all!

infinity_girl
February 27th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Your hair looks totally normal (and lovely and shiny) to me. Perhaps the person who said that was trying to dent your confidence (or was jealous)? Honestly, your hair is absolutely normal and perfect!

Druella
February 27th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I think your scalp looks totally normal, it looks just the same as mine, and no one has ever said a thing about it, so don't worry.

But your hair color... it's awesome! I love how your roots are darker and the length is beautiful dark red, the contrast looks super good.

Tota
February 27th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Your part is totally normal. You have a very healthy head of hair. It's just the contrast between your fair skin and dark hair that makes it look a bit more visible. On TV hair is styled, teased etc ... the extent of things they do to TV hair is beyond the normal person's comprehension :) Don't worry about it.

Nera
February 27th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I guess lot of dark haired gurls have got thick hair, thatīs why their scalp might show less? Anyways, it looks perfect to me. And your hair also looks really nice!

Nera
February 27th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Wow I totally just woke up and wanted to type curls and girls at the same time. (: go me.

LocustSpawning
February 27th, 2012, 04:11 AM
My part is white and shows quite noticeably against my black hair too, no need to worry! Looks very lovely and shiny.

Cjatje
February 27th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I have dark hair and my scalp looks exactly the same, scalps all look white because hair protects the skin and dark hair has most contrast with the scalp. In no way do you look like your going bald
indeed! it's totally normal!

Toadstool
February 27th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I've got thick dark hair naturally and a white scalp, and yours looks like mine. Looks perfectly normal, and i have to say your hair looks lovely in those pigtails!

Honestwitness
February 27th, 2012, 04:56 AM
My hair is mostly white and my scalp shows through my part as light PINK, which makes me very self-conscious about wearing two braids or any style with a part all the way down my head. So, I feel your pain.

I like the suggestion about brown eye shadow. I had thought of using cocoa powder for you ladies with dark hair. But for us folks with light hair, perhaps a bit of corn starch or white eye shadow would work. I have pics of Helen Mirren where I couldn't see any pink in her part. I believe she must do some kind of camoflage.

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Its the dark hair you have makes your skin look white. There is nothing wrong with you or your hair.

VikingVampChick
February 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM

This. I'm the same way - pale, naturally dark hair - suprised the henna shows up at all, actually. It's just the coloring. That person needs glasses. :p to them :)

Hiriel
February 27th, 2012, 07:06 AM

It might be that their part is less neat and "severe"? I like doing my parts straight and neat, like yours is in that picture, I imagine that if you really want less scalp to show, you could part your hair a little more loosely? Not that I think you need it, I think your hair looks good :)

Madora
February 27th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Nothing wrong with your part, Vanille! Your hair and scalp look healthy and you've nothing to worry about.

There are some styles where you can still braid and hide a center part ...just a matter of swapping strands from right to left and vice versa.

Whoever made that comment is a moron.

lostchyld
February 27th, 2012, 07:32 AM
It might be that their part is less neat and "severe"? I like doing my parts straight and neat, like yours is in that picture, I imagine that if you really want less scalp to show, you could part your hair a little more loosely? Not that I think you need it, I think your hair looks good :)

I do messy or zigzag parts for pigtails. For one, I like the zigzag part best in the first place, and second, it hides the scalp. I don't mind the contrast, but lately, I've had trouble with flaky scalp issues that I just prefer to cover. On the other hand, I rarely do anything that requires a part down the back of my head because I still look 12 when I wear pigtails. I'm 27.

CarpeDM
February 27th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Oh I have heard this one before! Several hair stylists have told me I'm going bald too. Lovely right, just what you want to hear when you go to a salon for some "me time". I just don't have a lot of hair and I never have, so I just ignore the comments since I am so used to hearing them and think whatever!

PsycheOrigami
February 27th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Your part looks normal for your skin tone, so it's possible the person was teasing/being rude. I have dark hair as well, but since I'm almost always in the sun and Filipino, my scalp is less noticeable. Maybe that could be why you don't notice parts on the people you referred to in your other post?

blondyhead
February 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM
:agape:

Your hair is beautiful, who ever told you that is clearly jealous of what you have, take no notice of what that stupid person said :) If people don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothing at all!

lapushka
February 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM
There's nothing wrong with your part, looks normal to me. Let people talk! There's always gonna be something!

Be proud of your hair! :)

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Your part looks completely normal to me. Kids' hair volume IS thicker than say a 22 year old. That also IS normal.

Whoever said that and caused you to be sensitive about it is an idiot and knows nothing about hair! This is something you really shouldn't be bothered about or sensitive about. You're entirely in the range of normal.

All Systems Go!

heidi w.

MonaMayfair
February 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Your hair looks lovely in the photo.

Maybe the person who made the comment wasn't used to seeing hair divided in two like that (or just wasn't very observant when they did see it) but it was still a rude thing to say.
Possibly they thought they were being funny? (I would have been upset if someone said that to me too!)

Vanille_
February 27th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Thank you everyone for the support. I feel so much better about it. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to wear a part like this in public, but I'm not feeling nearly as bad about it. I love you guys so much :)

Anje
February 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Your hair and scalp look totally normal to me.

And I'll add a vote for the fact that a lot of what you see on TV is wigs. And all of it is fake, done with an army of stylists. It's a shame that the people commenting may be so involved with what's on TV that they don't know what real hair looks like any longer.

sazzie88
February 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I think it looks absolutely fine but if you are concerned I think you can get a scalp spray that matches your hair colour! I don't think you need it but if you are conscious it's worth a try.

I am very concerned as the hair behind my ears starts very far back and makes it look like I have huge ears from behind!

longhairedlady
February 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM
your part is normal to me! Thats what my part looks like. :D

Babs1039
February 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Your hair and scalp look totally normal to me.

And I'll add a vote for the fact that a lot of what you see on TV is wigs. And all of it is fake, done with an army of stylists. It's a shame that the people commenting may be so involved with what's on TV that they don't know what real hair looks like any longer.

Preach on! It's along the same lines of little girls (and boys) now having more and more body "issues" due to the "fake" bodies they now see plastered on television along with the Photoshopped/airbrushed images in magazines/billboards. Even now I hear people who reference the small waists that women used to have in the Victorian era...what they fail to realize is that these women used corsets that formed their waist, they couldn't eat and barely breathe while wearing them, and sometimes broke their ribs (on purpose or inadvertently) in order to get those tiny waists. I'm loving the more natural looking actresses that are being accepted in Hollywood like, Octavia Spencer and Melissa McCarthy! :)

Tia2010
February 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I agree with everyone else. It looks normal to me. I have dark hair and pale skin, so my scalp stands out too :)

I did see something on QVC (i think)... Joan Rivers had a product specifically designed to blend your scalp in with your hair. It looked like eyeshadow but supposedly worked differently... It hid her scalp and she talked about a lot of people in Hollywood use this type of thing. I guess thats why theirs looks hidden.

Shermie Girl
February 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Your hair and part are perfectly fine and the person who said that to you has rocks in their frakking head. It is perfectly normal to have a bit of show through when you have dark hair and a light scalp and it doesn't mean that your hair is thinning or that you have bald patches. Even if you did, it isn't that person's job to point it out to you and make you feel bad and self conscious. How rude of them.

Tisiloves
March 4th, 2012, 01:32 AM
My parting looks exactly like that and I'm a long way from balding.