PDA

View Full Version : combing hair while wet?

xcrunr2go
February 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I'm able to wear my hair in a bob now but when I get out of the shower I usually like to comb it into place......is this bad?

misspurdy06
February 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Yes. When your hair is wet it is swollen and weak. Combing won't yank it out from the root but it will stretch it, make it thin or break it off all together.

spidermom
February 26th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Maybe that's my problem! Because I don't see a problem with combing...otherwise my hair would dry in a knotted mess. It's much easier to comb it out while wet with conditioner (which I then rinse out).

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I detangle when my hair is wet also..but do it with a wide tooth comb and in small, thin sections, working from the ends up the strands, until I reach the roots.

This does take time but it's the only way I can get rid of any snarls. Waiting to detangle when my hair is dry is hair suicide for me.

Miss Catrina
February 26th, 2012, 05:11 PM
If it was "bad", you'd be able to tell. If you're being gentle and using a wide-toothed comb you're probably fine. If you're feeling a lot of resistance and whatnot there might be a problem, but it doesn't sound like you are... so don't worry about it.

Sillage
February 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I always comb my hair when it's wet/damp to distribute what ever leave in and oils I'm using. Hope it's not doing too much damage.

CherrySilver
February 26th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I always comb my hair wet while in the shower (after rinsing thru conditioner, of course). I make sure to have it detangled before I even get into the shower. Just section into two parts, one over each shoulder and comb thru. Been doing this for umpteen years and my hair has not gotten damaged because of it. BTW, I do this just about every day.

rowie
February 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I usually finger comb my hair thoroughly before I use a wooden comb when my hair is wet.

LiveYourDreams
February 26th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I always comb (never brush) my hair when wet otherwise it would be super tangled and frizzy! I would probably do more damage combing it when dry then I do when it's wet. But I have always heard that it's very bad for your hair.

Beckstar
February 26th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I have to comb my hair when it's wet or I'm not able to comb it at all. I don't just comb without product though. I use some kind of leave in like Aragon oil or some other conditioner like Mane and Tail (I water it down a bit) and then I section my hair into 6 sections. I start comb from the bottom, then the middle and then at my roots. I can't go top to bottom because it pulls down too many loose hairs and they tangle together.

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I always comb my hair wet while in the shower (after rinsing thru conditioner, of course). I make sure to have it detangled before I even get into the shower. Just section into two parts, one over each shoulder and comb thru. Been doing this for umpteen years and my hair has not gotten damaged because of it. BTW, I do this just about every day.

Ah, another "sectioner in the shower"! Good for you! Really works, doesn't it?!!

rowie
February 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Ah, another "sectioner in the shower"! Good for you! Really works, doesn't it?!!

I'll definitely try this when I reach BSL in the near future. :p

annamoonfairy
February 26th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I only use a wide tooth pick on my wet hair.

HylianGirl
February 26th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I detangle my hair before shower, and then figercomb it when I have conditioner on, and then comb it again when I leave the shower when my hair is wet with a wide toothed comb, though it rarely has any strong tangles at this point because I make sure to be gentle. I do that because I avoid combing my hair while it's dry so that I can keep my curls, that means that once it's dry, I only fingercomb it, and comb it again only before shower, as I oil it, to distribute the oil =) So I'd say, as long as you're gentle, and don't force your hair, it probably will be fine =)

Long_hair_bear
February 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I can't comb my hair wet, even gently. When I do, I can feel my hair stretch. Eeekkkk!

rock007junkie
February 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I think that as long as your hair is coated with conditioner it sholdn't be that bad.

Pinkster8
February 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I always comb my hair wet, but never without putting my leave-in conditioner in first. After that I spritz it with conditioner-water and divide in half, then start at the bottom and slowly work my way up. If I didn't comb when wet my hair would be stringy and tangled, not good :)

holothuroidea
February 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM
My hair is short, too, and I know what you mean about putting your hair into place after the shower. If your hair doesn't have tangles (detangle in the shower with conditioner in your hair) and you are gentle, it is probably fine. You might want to try using your fingers a couple times and see if you can get it to work that way but if not, just use the comb and don't worry too much.

There is a thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405) for people with short hair. It's a very long thread so just go to the last page. :D

Bunnysaur
February 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I usually detangle my hair as part of washing out my conditioner in the shower. But my hair is fairly short (at least by LHC standards!) so I'm not sure how long it'll work for people with longer hair.

Babs1039
February 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I detangle when my hair is wet also..but do it with a wide tooth comb and in small, thin sections, working from the ends up the strands, until I reach the roots.

This does take time but it's the only way I can get rid of any snarls. Waiting to detangle when my hair is dry is hair suicide for me.

Same here!!! If I wait until my hair is dry I cannot get a comb through it without breaking my hair to pieces. When I comb while wet I do it from the bottom up in sort of a rolling motion. I spray in some leave in conditioner/detangler and when I hit any snags I pull the comb out and start from the bottom again and work the hair very gently until the knots are all gone. Then I don't comb again until it dries.

BrightEyes
February 26th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I also comb my hair in the shower when it has conditioner in it. Then after gently wrapping it in a microfiber towel for a few minutes I put a little leave-in conditioner through the ends and gently comb it again starting at the ends and working up. If I'm gentle and take my time I have no problems. It's when I am in a hurry and impatient that I hear that awful snapping sound:(.

battles
February 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I comb in the shower with conditioner, and then I have to fix it when I get out of the shower because it looks ridiculous. :D I haven't noticed any damage.

Amber_Maiden
February 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I think it is bad for hair, as it is at it's weaker state then and can break very easily.

Pierre
February 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I comb in the shower, in two sections, but I hadn't thought of them as sections but parts. I don't use condish, but I don't use poo either, so my hair is still oiled when I comb. I do it once every five days or so, putting the shed hairs on the shower wall.

Cowgirl16
February 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM

Ditto.

I spray some detangler in and pretty much comb the same way Madora does.
I tried not combing before my hair was dry once.

blondie9912
February 26th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Yes. When your hair is wet it is swollen and weak. Combing won't yank it out from the root but it will stretch it, make it thin or break it off all together.

I think that's rather extreme. Combing your hair starting at the ends and gradually working your way upwards shouldn't damage it at al, especially if it's coated with conditioner

HappyHair87
February 26th, 2012, 09:44 PM
If it works for you and not causing any damage i don't think its bad. I HAVE to comb my hair when wet...ONLY!! Unless i have straightened it. Dry combing isn't for everybody.

Macaroni
February 26th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Thankfully, my hair is straight as a stick and it never tangles except a little at the nape of my neck when I wear it down.

Before showering, I comb while it's dry with a wide toothed comb, co wash, dry and then comb again.

Shepherdess
February 26th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I usually always brush my hair after I take showers, but recently I found out it isn't good to do that. So I am going to try and start using a wide tooth comb to untangle. I'm afraid it won't be easy for me since my hair is so curly and long.

ludwig20
February 26th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Waiting to detangle my hair once it's dry doesn't work for me. I gently comb (using my wide-tooth plastic comb) from the ends up.

SoulOfTheSea
February 26th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I like to comb my hair when it's about 90% dry, and then I put in some serum or coconut oil, and then braid it. Result? Smooth and shiny hair in the morning. :)

I find combing easy to do at this damp stage, and it doesn't break my hair.

DarkAlice
February 27th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I comb to distribute conditioner through-out my hair but I may just comb at the end of the wash to minimize handling and mechanical damage. Does anyone use a tangle-teezer to brush when wet after shampoo/co? Usually i let a towel soak up 50% of the water then comb with a tangle teezer gentley, i dont hear any hairs snapping and when I reach a tangle i undo it with my fingers...hope i'm not damaging it but it dries nice and straight.

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I wait until my hair is half dry before I comb while its wet I spray on the detangler and allow it to work. I work the kinks and knots out with my fingers when its wet.

Shebelina
February 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I comb to distribute conditioner through-out my hair but I may just comb at the end of the wash to minimize handling and mechanical damage. Does anyone use a tangle-teezer to brush when wet after shampoo/co? Usually i let a towel soak up 50% of the water then comb with a tangle teezer gentley, i dont hear any hairs snapping and when I reach a tangle i undo it with my fingers...hope i'm not damaging it but it dries nice and straight.

I've just started using my Tangle Teezer on damp hair, I haven't found any damage from it. I'm impressed, I never used to be able to get a comb through wet hair. Before it was painful and I could hear, and feel, hairs stretching and snapping.

Aveyronnaise
February 27th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I am also a wet comber. After starting LHC methods my hair has been getting wavier and wavier , so if I comb when my hair is soaking up the conditioner. I haven't really had any hair issues from this at all.
It actually seems to distribute the conditioner better through my dense hair and prevents tangling after my hair is dry.

Shesta
February 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Recently I also started detangling wet hair cause it better preserves my wave pattern. After I soak my hair with conditioner I add more of it between the teeth of my tangle teezer and then detangle starting from the ends. Then I wash the conditioner out (maybe not completely), squeeze the excess water and allow it to air dry.

chou
February 27th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I always comb while wet with a wide-toothed comb. I can't comb dry because it would turn my waves into a horrible poof!
I would guess that if you use caution and don't force the comb through there wouldn't be anything wrong with wet combing. My friend has waist-length 3a hair and she can ONLY comb while her hair is sopping wet and coated in conditioner in the shower and her hair is in great shape.

Annalouise
February 27th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I vote no. Don't comb the hair when wet. I lose more hair that way. I wait until its almost dry, or dry, then comb it and I don't lose hair that way.

ladyshep
February 27th, 2012, 09:33 AM
As others have said, yes, the hair is at it's weakest when wet, so take care not to rip at it.

elbow chic
February 27th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I used to but don't anymore. Even when I try to be very gentle I can feel it ripping and streeetching! Now I detangle before getting in the shower, shower it without "piling" it all over my head, and then just let it dry as it lies.

I detangle again once it is completely dry.

It's probably fine if you are very careful and use lots of conditioner tho.

uptosomeone
February 27th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I comb my hair when it's wet because a)it gets the tangles out, and b) it works so much better for my hair. If I leave it to dry au natural it gets terribly snarly and when I do comb it it looks weird. Is it bad? I've heard yes. However, on my hair it seems to be okay. :)

Diamond.Eyes
February 27th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I have never detangled my hair when it's dry. I apply a light coat of coconut oil, the leave-in I feel like using that day, then detangle my hair with my TT when it is about 60-70% wet. I never brush my hair while it is soaking wet :bigeyes:.

Kiwiwi
February 28th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I have more breakage when I brush dry (even if I'm not wearing my curls, which is most of the time).
I also have more breakage when I comb, with a (wide toothed) comb. Even with conditioner in my hair.

I need to use a brush at all times (I use the Tangle Teezer).
I brush my hair dry before my shower.
Then I brush my hair wet/damp after my shower (squeezed water out with a t-shirt)
Part my hair in two, on each side. Take one side. Finger comb a tiny bit. Then start brushing from the ends to the roots slowly. Repeat on the other side. Add oil. Brush oil through hair. Bring sides together. Put in updo :)

So, yeah. Even though hair is more fragile when wet. Other options are worse for me, it seems. I've been doing this my whole life and my hair is doing fine and is full :)

But I don't have much tangles/knots as it is. Because it's always up or in a braid (or two). I can brush just fine. Combing though... no. Not for me. Brushing, yes :) Combing, no :)

EtherealDoll
February 28th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I detangle my hair when it's wet but with a wide-toothed comb. It's very difficult to detangle it when it's dry and it breaks more.

hototogisu
February 28th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Wait, combing when wet is bad?? I always always always comb my hair after I get out of the shower with a seamless wide toothed comb. I've never noticed any breakage from this.

lostchyld
February 28th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Jumping in here, but I barely comb at all. Where my hair is at right now, and probably in the future, I can detangle with my fingers. If I comb, even with a wide tooth comb, when wet or damp, regardless of potential damage, I break the formation of my curls and even if I scrunch again while it's dripping, I don't get that back until I wash again. If the curls don't form, I wear a frizzball on my head, even if I do something that straightens my hair. I have to let it curl before it do anything.

Carolyn
February 28th, 2012, 05:16 AM
I can't imagine NOT combing my hair after I wash it. I do it with a wide tooth comb started from the bottom up. I do it carefully and never just rip through it. If I run into a huge snarl, I break it up with my fingers and then finish combing. Wide tooth combs are not all equal. I've tried lots of them and I think there is definitely big differences in quality. My favorite is a Mebco detangling comb that I buy at Sallys. I have several just in case something happens to one. I've only broken one but I'm afraid the comb will disappear and I won't be able to get another one. I think I would do more harm to my hair by not combing it out after a wash. It would dry in tangles that would be impossible to get out. I hardly ever hear hairs snapping when I'm wet combing as I always do it slowly and carefully.

Mayflower
February 28th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I never comb my hair when it's wet. I thoroughly detangle my hair before I wash it, let it airdry for 85%, blowdry the rest and then fingercomb and brush. Then I make the lenghts a tiny bit damp and bun it so I have nice curls the next morning.
I never get huge tangles, even when I don't use conditioner.

Covet
February 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
If it works for you and not causing any damage i don't think its bad. I HAVE to comb my hair when wet...ONLY!! Unless i have straightened it. Dry combing isn't for everybody.

^^^ this. I think that if it works for you, then go for it. My hair is very curly and I am only able to comb it when it is soaked in conditioner, working from the tips up to the roots. I don't comb it when it's dry at all and I have started using oils to (I think) mimic the oil distribution that brushing would give me.

heidi w.
February 28th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Misspurdy: You almost have it right. It's just a word choice situation to convey the more exact information.

When hair is fully wet, not merely damp, but fully wet, the hair strands are swollen to capacity with water in circumference and in length. If you detangle while the hair is sopping wet, there's no further stretch the hair is capable of. And then if you comb or brush the hair while sopping wet one risks creating damage by breaking the hair off as the hair has no further elasticity or stretch capacity.

It's better to wait a little bit for the hair to dry, and become merely damp and then detangle then, at intervals. Don't aim to pristinely detangle right off the bat, but the first couple of detangles are merely to un-clump the ropey strands of hair to separate the hairs so that they have more air around them and can dry faster. Do the detangling in layers as hair becomes drier and yet further drier.

When it's damp this means that the water contained in the hair has dried and thus the length has coiled back up a bit (especially for curlier hair types) and then the hair once again has its elasticity (or stretch) back.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 28th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I'm able to wear my hair in a bob now but when I get out of the shower I usually like to comb it into place......is this bad?

The habits you form now affect over time the resulting look of longer hair because the newish hair you currently possess will eventually become the older hair in length.

I believe you're using a comb, and detangling from the bottom up -- not top down -- right? AND you're using conditioner, right?

These are some very basics for detangling hair at any length. You might consider waiting a bit til the hair is merely damp as opposed to sopping wet, though.

Also, as this thread demonstrates, there're all kinds of ways that people detangle that works for them. Every head of hair is unique and requires a slight tweak of difference for management. That's important to understand when considering ideas that people post for hair care.

heidi w.

constancev18
February 28th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I avoid combing at all costs (haven't combed this year yet) but I do finger comb while my hair is wet & loaded w. product. This is the best way for me to detangle and maintain length. :)

elfgirl
February 28th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I comb my hair with a wide tooth comb and detangle before washing it. After rinsing the conditioner, I squeeze the excess out with a towel, part my hair around my shoulders, and usually finger comb it from the end of the strands up to the roots. I've found it works better when I finger comb then when I use an actual comb.

kidari
February 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I think when your hair is a shorter length it's fine. I used to comb out my hair in the shower while the water ran through it. Now that it's longer I don't comb in the shower anymore. I wrap it in a microfiber turban for a while then I shake it out by headbanging and spray a generous amount of leave-in conditioner before very gently combing it out with a wide-toothed comb, slowly working from the bottom up. If I wait until my hair is fully dry before combing it out it would probably cause more damage and my hair would be a nightmare to work with.

I forgot to mention that I always carefully brush my hair out completely before washing. This minimizes tangles while washing and there is less shed in the drain since it gets caught in the brush instead.

xcrunr2go
March 17th, 2012, 06:28 AM
As an experiment, lately I've been leaving my hair alone after showering except finger combing it & applying product. I've noticed an increase in volume! I won'tbecombibg wet anymore!

Alienor
March 17th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I always comb my hair with a wide teeth horn comb after the shower, not inside. But it is still wet, and for me it's better not to wait too much otherwise my hair would be too messy:). I do that way to avoid damage too.

Shesta
March 17th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Combing it wet when socked in conditioner seems to be ok for me hair. If I do it on dry hair my waves turn all into frizz. Awful.

naturally yours
March 17th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I comb hair wet with conditioner only. I havent experiece any issues. If I were to comb my hair dry I would get severe breakage.

heidi w.
March 17th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Lots of people have to comb hair while wet. I think it's important to differentiate if the hair is completely sopping wet versus combing the hair when it's damp.

heidi w.

savannahfaery
January 23rd, 2018, 02:16 PM
I use a Wet brush on my fine, waist-length hair after washing it... I am very careful as to not cause any damage. If I don't take care of it while it is wet, then the next day, no matter what, it will have frizz and knots that tie themselves together and stick up throughout the next day, even a minute after brushing them out! I haven't seen any damage from the Wet brush. :):flower:

lapushka
January 23rd, 2018, 04:49 PM
I use a Wet brush on my fine, waist-length hair after washing it... I am very careful as to not cause any damage. If I don't take care of it while it is wet, then the next day, no matter what, it will have frizz and knots that tie themselves together and stick up throughout the next day, even a minute after brushing them out! I haven't seen any damage from the Wet brush. :):flower:

I use a WB dupe as well; I think it is an amazing invention. Doesn't tug or pull at my scalp as my WT combs used to do. I use it on damp hair, hair that's come out the towel, and before I apply my styling products.

RedStripe
January 23rd, 2018, 04:55 PM
I don't comb while wet, but I finger-comb after applying oil for a leave-in.

gustavonut
January 28th, 2018, 12:42 PM
I’ve started using a wet brush on my hair after having my hair in a soft t shirt to dry for a bit (it’s still damp but not dripping) and it has been working beautifully.

Groovy Granny
January 28th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I use a Vented Wet Brush in the shower to distribute my conditioner, then to detangle before putting it in a turban.'
When I take the turban out I use a wide tooth shower comb by Conair, add my leave ins and then wet brush it again.
My fine wispy silver has no splits or damage and very few tangles (1 or 2...if any).
IMHO it is safe :shrug:

lapushka
January 28th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Wet Brush (dupe) here too, and I *love* that thing for detangling damp (out of the towel) hair. Loooove it! To bits. :D Doesn't tug or pull at the scalp when my comb used to do that when I had tangles, this one just glides over and gets the knots out without pain.

WillOTree
January 29th, 2018, 10:59 AM
I brush while wet. When my hair is healthy I don't need detangler, and I work from the bottom up with no problems with gnarly tangles or splits. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones?

Zindell
January 30th, 2018, 04:05 AM
I've just started using my Tangle Teezer on damp hair, I haven't found any damage from it. I'm impressed, I never used to be able to get a comb through wet hair. Before it was painful and I could hear, and feel, hairs stretching and snapping.

This is what I do too. I gently brush with a Tangle Teezer after shower. My hair would look like a messy nest if I did not. I haven't seen any damage from this procedure. :o

Joyful Mystery
January 30th, 2018, 09:49 AM
On wash days, I comb when my hair is damp. Non-wash days I have to keep my comb wet (using the faucet) combing from the bottom and working my way up.

My hair prefers combs that have denser teeth.

Celtic Morla
January 30th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I comb when wet but only with a metal comb and very gently, otherwise I tend to find that awful mat in the back, it's probably the only time I comb my hair anymore I usually just use my boar brush

wannabe-rusalka
January 30th, 2018, 08:49 PM
I have to comb when wet because once my hair dries its stuck the way it is- even though it seems to be a LHC sin. I comb very gently with my wide tooth wooden comb pretty soon after I get out of the shower and put oils in it. Its usually soaking wet when I do this since I don't like towel drying/clothe drying at all since it makes me a dry little frizz ball. I find that I lose less hair this way and I usually have no tangles- I also wont disrupt my wave pattern by doing it this way.

Ligeia Noire
January 30th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Always combed when wet. *Shivers* just thinking about letting it dry without combing...

yahirwaO.o
January 30th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Well the original person who started this thread had a bob. I also have a bob and can get away with combing it wet, when my hair was longer it was a nightmare to do it tho.

For now its ok for me and when you have relatively short hair isn't that bad. It was also depends on the personīs texture, I've seen people that hair gets tangled as fast as an empty wallet on a college night out! ha ha ha

embee
January 31st, 2018, 04:54 AM
With long hair I always found it imperative to comb out while it was drying from a wash or rinse. Otherwise ... it could take scissors to untangle. I always started at the scalp and would carefully comb down a *couple of inches*. then I'd go to the ends and begin carefully combing and untangling them and work my way back up to the scalp.

My wash routine did not involve much scrubbing or rubbing my scalp, so there was very little tangle at the top.

chomsky
January 31st, 2018, 05:47 AM
No amount of money could persuade me to comb and detangle my hair dry. Nope.

I detangle my hair when its caked in conditioner, and use a Denman brush to distribute product when I'm styling. I mostly root-to-end (gasp), because my ends don't tangle, just the roots after a good shampooing. So I move the tangles down, much like embee, then go end-to-root. My hair is wet in both of these instances and I have very little breakage/splits, my main "damage" is fairy/single strand knots. When I've tried to dry-comb, I got A LOT of snapping, breaking and tugging, because my curls were already "set" and trying to separate them after that is hell.

YMMV, if it's damaging, stop. Do what works for you.

luvlonghair75
January 31st, 2018, 09:53 AM
I wait until mine is almost dry before combing. I also take my time, no rushing through, ripping strands apart. It's paid off!

ShahMat
January 31st, 2018, 01:27 PM
Everyone is different I think, but personally I comb when it's wet, otherwise my hair would dry into a matted mess
As long as I am gentle and work on sections, I see no hair snapping/breaking

RadioactiveLily
January 31st, 2018, 05:12 PM
I comb in the shower to distribute my conditioner on the latter part of my CWC. I have a couple sections of hair that look stretched though, so those who don't comb their conditioner, how do you make sure it's well-distributed in your hair? I've tried finger combing, but my hair tangles much worse that way and I end up with handfuls of shed hair. TBH, even the wide-toothed comb doesn't feel that gentle. My wetbrush works well on wet or dry hair, but I think it would be hard to clean if I took it in the shower with me.