PDA

View Full Version : Do you post hair photos on facebook, etc?

owlathena
February 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I've recently started posting pictures of / talking about hair stuff on facebook. Just like, a pretty braid and my hennaed hair in the sun. Once I posted an article about buns on my friend's wall. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Does anyone else's hair obsession ever cross over into the non-longhair world? And how do your IRL friends react?

lostchyld
February 26th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Aside from forays into Ravelry.com groups, not really. I have posted hair photos that I want my family to see, but I keep the bulk of my obsession quiet. They can live in denial about my hair goals for a little longer. Once I'm past waist length I might start posting hair shots on facebook a little more. Until then, it'll be random stuff. Probably the day I hit BSL, my status will read, "BSL today! YAY!" Which none of my friends will understand.

annamoonfairy
February 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I post pictures on facebook. I do have my folders set to who can see what so that helps.

honeyblonde
February 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I am tempted to, but I only share my hair obsession with family...lol.

PrairieRose
February 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM
A friend on facebook was complaining about her hair, so I suggested a horn comb. She of course did not have any idea what it was and made a joke of it. I was expecting it would not go over well anyhow, so I wasn't surprised.:p

Ligeia_13
February 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Well, I don't have a facebook. But if I did, I wouldn't post photos of my achieved buns or length updates. It would most likely lead to people believing I'm a shallow, vain person :/

Although, if I were particularly proud of my hair, I might have just one length shot in a whole album of "me" photos.

xoerincolleen
February 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Nope. Sometimes I'll post a link to a hair tutorial or a pretty style on a friend's wall, but that's it.

lostchyld
February 26th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I generally worry more about my family understanding the depth of my obsession than about friends thinking I'm vain and shallow. I'm only friends with people who know me IRL and I'm even selective of which IRL friends get to be facebook friends, so no one is going to judge. I'm just holding out for the day when I post a shot of my hair down and it's classic or longer. Around mid back, I'm going to wear it up anytime I'm around family and friends and not post length shots. Sure, there's a huge difference in bun size between mid-back and classic, but most of my friends are distance friendships and my family is good at denial. It'll be awesome.

LocustSpawning
February 26th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I did once but didn't really get much of a response (which I expected really, but it still made me a bit sad!) 'cause hair care is one of my main hobbies. I guess it can be hard to understand why we care so much about it if most don't...

PixxieStix
February 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I have a few hair shots mixed in with everything else, more of my first henna than anything else. I'm gonna try to keep it under wraps for the most part until a few years from now when I'll have some REALLY impressive hair to show! The few IRL people who know of my hair obsession are either supportive or were like 'Okay...' and disregarded it.

MonaLisa
February 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I was thinking about this...but for a long time..before I found LHC I considered my love for long hair..an obsession, something...vain and superficial and I couldn't really share it with anyone..
So I don't know...I might try :)

Covet
February 26th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'd only start talking about my hair on facebook if someone else started the topic and asked for my advice or opinon. I don't have many friends obsessed with hair length (apart from two) and they don't even use facebook :doh: so I don't see the point in talking about hair on there or posting pics because most people wouldn't care.

However, I think I will start uploading hair photos onto there in a private album because I'd like to document my hair growth and have an easy place to keep track of my pictures. Like PixxieStix said, I think I will wait a few years until my hair is longggg and then post a pic of it that friends can see. Apart from that, I don't think people would really appreciate it. So for now I'll keep my hair obsession to LHC ;).

misspurdy06
February 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
None of my friends or family are interested so I don't bother.

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I don't, but my hair is only bsl nothing special

battles
February 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Facebook creeps me out and I no longer post any pictures. :p

ETA: I occasionally send a cute hairstyle tutorial to longer haired friends, but even they aren't as interested as I am.

elbow chic
February 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM
only if it's something my mom would find amusing, like when I colored it pink. I try not to bore them all with stuff like "omg, I'm almost at waist!" because... well, that's just too weird for anywhere but here. ;)

Diamond.Eyes
February 26th, 2012, 05:56 PM
A lot of my friends ask how I got my hair to grow and what moisture treatments I use, and when I tell them they act pretty confused and treat me like an oddity. So I am pretty reluctant to share such things with them anymore. I don't know many people IRL who are as hair obsessed as me, except maybe my friends at school. I also rarely post hair pics on Facebook either. I think I posted the one in my Sig pic just to show my friend how long it was because she asked. Maybe I'll post a pic on Facebook when I reach my goal length?

Avital88
February 26th, 2012, 05:59 PM
no i actually never do,i have one picture of the back ofmy hair online but i made sure it never was in the newsfeed..i dont even know if anyone saw it..

rock007junkie
February 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I'm tempted to but I wouldn't dare. My hair obsession is my secret. What I do sometimes is post picture in which my hair looks pretty and long but that are necessarily length shots.

Long_hair_bear
February 26th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I do sometimes when I learn a new updo, but usually, no.

Babs1039
February 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I do have one set of my first henna and I had a lot of comments on the set. One in particular was "I've never seen so many pictures of someone's hair, lol!" Mostly I got compliments and questions on how to henna. Every once in a while my friends will comment on my length progress on regular pics I post. Sometimes I will post an interesting style, but not too many hair only pictures anymore. Not too many people know I'm trying to grow it extra loooooong. Just today my uncle asked me how much longer I plan on growing it. My response was "until I decide to cut it." i.e. not for quite a while :p

I do however have a flickr stream that I am starting to post more hair pictures to. At least there someone has to be searching for hairstyles in order to come across the pics and I don't feel so strange sharing my obsession on that site. Plus I can share my other obsession, taking interesting pics of nature! So many to upload...so little time.

cocoahair
February 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM
No, I never have but I would take a picture to show my friends if I colored it or something just to show them.

Vanille_
February 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM
If I dye it a crazy color from Manic Panic, I will. But that's it. I don't want people knowing how crazy I am about this hobby.

Amber_Maiden
February 26th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I don't. It's ok for here, but I don't want too many people to know I'm growing my hair long.

dwell_in_safety
February 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Nope. I've had one discussion with a male friend, oddly enough, on Facebook that lasted roughly an hour about nothing other than my hair routine and its merits as opposed to what I was doing before. He was VERY interested. I have no idea how we got on the topic.

Pinkster8
February 28th, 2012, 04:40 PM
No, I'd like to but my friends might think I'm obsessed, which I am :)

kellinaturalmom
February 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM
No, most people think you have a strange obsession if you talk about your hair too much... I have to stop myself from boring people with my hair talk sometimes!

SunlightShines
February 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I did post one but it was mixed in with a bunch of other older photos. Only one of my friends was interested. Him & his wife used to own a hair salon so it's a topic he's very interested in.