PDA

View Full Version : Natural Shampoo/Conditioner?

icallitbliss
February 26th, 2012, 12:54 PM
When I first buzzed my hair, I swore that I would only use "good" products on it. So I ended up buying this Avalon Organics stuff (I think it was the lavender), and both the shampoo and conditioner made my brand new virgin hair DRY as hell!

Since then I've been too afraid to use any natural stuff on my hair. So can anyone recommend me some shampoo/conditioners that would still be moisturizing?

As for my hair type, I'd say it's semi-oily/dry. It varies.

iloveyourstory
February 26th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I use the Giovanni 50/50 sulfate-free shampoo, the flow up with an apple cider vinegar rinse. My hair looks amazing!

longcurlygirl<3
February 26th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I like shea moisture coconut hubicious? It is good and not drying. Try to look into shampoo bars, we have a thread on it too. And maybe start on oiling for dry hair? EVOO and coconut are good starters even though jojoba is good but more expensive.

Kelikea
February 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
you could try using the co-wash-co method with what you already have or CO only.

Kat Girl
February 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I use wen and I love it!

LocustSpawning
February 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I like the Faith in Nature shampoo's, not as drying as some others I've tried. As for conditioners, I fully recommend Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose!

PixxieStix
February 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Have you taken a look at Toadstool Soaps? (http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps) She has rave reviews about her products, and she makes them up by hand for each person, so it's fresh, and you can read the ingredients on the list. :)

ravenheather
February 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I would say read labels. Some "natural" products have an awful lot of preservatives and other harmful ingredients. I'm using chagrin valley shampoo bars and acv. And coconut oil for a deep treatment.

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Any trader joes products

misspurdy06
February 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
If you have to use shampoo for whatever crazy reason try Nexxus Dualiste Intense Hydration it's the best I've ever tried in my life.

TeaEarlGreyHot
February 27th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Have you taken a look at Toadstool Soaps? (http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps) She has rave reviews about her products, and she makes them up by hand for each person, so it's fresh, and you can read the ingredients on the list. :)

I JUST placed an order from Toadstool on Friday and the owner is SO nice and said she does make each bottle individually. It already shipped out today! So, even though I can't attest to how it works the customer service is great. My daughter can't wait to try out the yummy flavors we picked out.

chou
February 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Oooh, Toadstool shampoo is the best!! I have had serious problems with natural, sls-free shampoos still being too drying despite their claims of gentleness but the Toadstool stuff works amazingly for me. And the fragrances! Mmm. You might need the occasional acv rinse with this shampoo as it is soap-based. I use this stuff twice a week and have not had any residue problems, however. Perhaps because there is already lemon in the formula.
In my trials of natural shampoos, though, some of my favorites were Kiss my Face anytime shampoo and Queen Helene royal curl shampoo. It was just crazy to me how shampoos from brands like Everyday Shea, Jason, and Trader Joe's which specifically advertised themselves as being non-stripping turned my hair into straw more than some sls shampoos could! I think there's a lot of bad product formulation and greenwashing (saying sls-free but using nearly as harsh detergents like coco-betaine) going on with these products.
Happy hunting!