PDA

View Full Version : Can't get oil out of hair!~

iloveyourstory
February 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
It never fails, I can't seem to get any oil out of my hair that I put in. My favorite oils are jojaba and cocunut oil. Cocunut oil is the worst to get out! After trying mutliple times with my sulfate-free Giovanni clarifying shampoos, I end up using my harsh sulfate Suave shampoo that always gets it out. The thing is, isn't the sulfate shampoo stripping what the oil is putting into the hair? It's kinda counteractive. I need advice on how to get it out, because I don't know how :( I don't typically use conditioner because it weighs my fine hair down. Any advice is appreciated!! :doh:

CastaDiva
February 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
When I have oiled my hair, I always put a lot of conditioner on, let it sit for about 30 minutes, apply a little water, gently massage as you would do when you shampoo, then rinse and shampoo or co as usual. This method always works for me:)

Eta: I didn't read your post carefully enough. I see that you typically don't use conditioner, so the method I suggested may not be something you want to try. Hopefully, someone else can offer suggestions on how to get the oil out without the use of a conditioner.

rock007junkie
February 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I read somewhere (and actually tried this out myself) that conditioner is actually more effective than shampoo at getting rid of oil. Since you don't like using conditioners I would also suggest shampoo bars which are equally as effective ( like Bobeam's on Etsy). I oil heavily before washing and I havent used a commercial shampoo for a year. Hope that helps

lostchyld
February 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
There's a tutorial on the boards about using conditioner to get the oil out. It worked pretty well for me when I tried it, but I think I needed a little more conditioner because I had just a little oiliness the next day. It came all the way out with my next cowash.

Here's the link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=222)

Sillage
February 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Maybe heavy oilings aren't for you? Don't feel like you ought to be doing something just because it's popular here :)

iloveyourstory
February 26th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the advice...I might try the suave conditioner thing again. We have hard water here In Houston so we'll see. :)

Sillage
February 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hard water? Have you tried a chelating shampoo?

sarahramen
February 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Another vote on the conditioner, it always works for me:)

Zefyra
February 26th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Definitely on the conditioner. I have really fine hair too. When I do a heavy oiling (rarely) I find the only thing that really gets it out well is conditioner. But I do it a bit differently I think. I wet my hair and apply a moderate amount of conditioner at the start of my shower and then go about other showerly duties. When thats done I take whatever shampoo I have on hand and, without rinsing the conditioner (just slightly re-wetting my hair) I wash my scalp and squeeze it through the ends. The I rinse thoroughly with warm water, then again with cold water. I find that my hair feels both clean and moisturized without any excess conditioner in my hair so its not weighed down or greasy at all. Ive found this method really effective and its no more difficult than the "normal" wash, condition routine.

spidermom
February 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Conditioner removes my heavy oilings.
We have soft water, though.

Alaia
February 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Another extremely fine haired person chiming in!

Conditioner works very well for me. Usually the thinner more liquid ones work the best, and cone free seems to work better than with cones for me too.

Deborah
February 27th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Maybe your hair is like mine, and just doesn't need oil added to it. Many on this list have dry, damaged, porous, colored, blow dried, split or otherwise damaged hair. If your hair is not like that, you probably just don't need any oil.

sfgirl
February 27th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I try to use only a small amount of oil a day because I have trouble getting it out. I try just to get a fingernail worth of coconut oil. :) I've always had trouble getting product out. Before LHC I would use masks and it always took 2-3 shampoos to get them out.

gracenotes
February 27th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Perhaps try using conditioner, but dilute it heavily with water? This might be helpful in getting out the oil without stripping it and without weighing your hair down. Also, since you have hard water, you might try using a vinegar rinse as a final rinse. A lot of people here use ACV, but you can use other kinds of vinegar as well. Just dilute it about a tablespoon of vinegar to cup of water and pour it over your hair when you're done washing. The vinegar smell dissipates very quickly, and it seems to help with hard water-related hair issues. It won't get the oil out, of course, but it might be nice to try after your chosen method of washing.

DarkAlice
February 27th, 2012, 06:52 AM
i'm the opposite, i can't seem to get oil to stay in my hair when washing, even has a pre-poo application... maybe you have really soft water?

hisprincess
February 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM
How much oil are you putting in? I almost gave up on oiling because I couldn't get it out (my hair is super fine too), but I finally realized that I had been putting a ridiculous amount of oil on my hair. Now I stick to 2 teaspoons and its fine. I also cover the oil with conditioner, shampoo it out, and then put more conditioner on. Since you aren't a big fan of conditioner, you could do the shampoo as the last step.

mz_butterfly
February 27th, 2012, 07:17 PM
There were 2 times in my life that I had really oily hair. Once from vaseline and once from baby oil. The only thing that finally removed it was dawn dish washing liquid.

I know it's harsh and it dried my hair out a little bit, but it did remove the greasiness. I think I used less than a half a teaspoon.

Silverbrumby
February 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
thank you thank you. I had no idea how to remove the oil. will try the conditioning method.

Cocoa_Crema
February 27th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I recently just started realizing that I don't need to oil that often. For awhile I was oiling practically every day, then down to every other day, and now down to once a week. My hair was getting very weighed down and starting to look stringy.

I'm going to try experimenting oiling once a month, and using lighter moisturizers on my hair that wash out much easier. I'm interested in trying the baby oil. :)

BTW, not long ago I had my hair straightened at the salon and I could smell the heat cooking out the coconut oil. Coconut oil must penetrate very deeply.

Perhaps you should only oil every once and awhile. Just get the ends as well.

iloveyourstory
March 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
How much oil are you putting in? I almost gave up on oiling because I couldn't get it out (my hair is super fine too), but I finally realized that I had been putting a ridiculous amount of oil on my hair. Now I stick to 2 teaspoons and its fine. I also cover the oil with conditioner, shampoo it out, and then put more conditioner on. Since you aren't a big fan of conditioner, you could do the shampoo as the last step.

Thanks for the help everyone!! You are right, I'm putting in way too much oil for my fine hair. I've scaled back and that seems to help. It just sucks that sulfate shampoos are the only thing that can get heavy oiling out.

ratgirldjh
March 15th, 2012, 06:58 PM
You could also try using less oil.

When I use the 'proper' amount of oil for my hair it is easy to get out. When I use too much I have a hard time. Start with less and then add more if you need it. IMO hair doesn't need to be 'wet' with oil just make sure a little gets everywhere. If it all soaks in you can add more.

A heavy oiling for me is like 1 teaspoon warmed up for my shoulder length hair - this comes out either with a couple of poo bar washings.

When I used to use like a tablespoon or more it would take me much harsher measures to remove the oil.

But as others have said conditioner works better than shampoo - but if you want to use shampoo try diluting the shampoo and pouring it on your pre-oiled hair before getting your hair wet. I've done this in the past and it worked better than using shampoo straight on wet hair for me.

pepperminttea
March 15th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Conditioner removes my heavy oilings.
We have soft water, though.

Same here, but we have hard water. :) OP, you could try doing the conditioner method to remove the oil and just use your sulphate-free shampoo afterwards (as you would normally)? I would think that would stop the conditioner from weighing your hair down.

turtlelover
March 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I drench my hair in VO5 conditioner when I CO, and that takes out all my oils w/ no issue. I agree that it seems to work better than shampoo for that purpose.

PrairieRose
March 15th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I always have trouble getting coconut oil out of my hair. Jojoba and Camellia oil work better for me.

Amber_Maiden
March 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM
When I oil, I use a tiny bit of shampoo and then use conditioner twice. Always gets it out- no matter what type- for me.

heidi w.
March 16th, 2012, 12:58 PM
It never fails, I can't seem to get any oil out of my hair that I put in. My favorite oils are jojaba and cocunut oil. Cocunut oil is the worst to get out! After trying mutliple times with my sulfate-free Giovanni clarifying shampoos, I end up using my harsh sulfate Suave shampoo that always gets it out. The thing is, isn't the sulfate shampoo stripping what the oil is putting into the hair? It's kinda counteractive. I need advice on how to get it out, because I don't know how :( I don't typically use conditioner because it weighs my fine hair down. Any advice is appreciated!! :doh:

First, it may be that you're using too much oil?

I recently posted a youtube video regarding how to oil one's hair and BBB their hair. I showed how little oil I used which in fact was more than I actually use because the coconut oil that I had had softened from being carried around til I could find someone to hold the camera for me while I made the video. I normally use less than that video reveals that I used.

When we clarify, we strip everything off thesurface of the hair. That's what clarifying actually means. Pre-oiling may not usually be a big help. It's what is done AFTER clarifying that matters -- that is using a conditioner to replace what's been removed, and perhaps the use of a leave-in or oiling the hair situation.

I highly advocate that you find a conditioner to use on your hair every time you wash your hair. I use Biolage's Conditioning Balm, and have been using it for decades.

Here's the link to my youtube video, in case it might be helpful to you.

http://youtu.be/hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

pepperminttea
March 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I use Biolage's Conditioning Balm, and have been using it for decades.

It's times like this I really wish I knew what your hair type was like Heidi. I tried the balm three times and even when used in very small quantities after clarifying, it was too much. I ended up with stringy, weighed down hair and wondered if my F/M texture was to blame, because my hair certainly needed the moisture. I did use the reformulated version though (ingredients here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78162)) so who knows. :undecided

TiffanieJean
March 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I have the same problem. Jojoba Oil alone doesn't seem to cause a whole lot of problems, but as soon as I add in a thicker oil (like Castor) it's hard to get it all out... Giovanni doesn't seem to work very well, but when I use Nioxin it does. Nioxin is sulfate free and a clarifier, but I have to shampoo 2x so I feel like it removes too much of what I just put into my hair?

I'll be watchign this post for some good answeres!!!

TooShort
March 16th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Definitely on the conditioner. I have really fine hair too. When I do a heavy oiling (rarely) I find the only thing that really gets it out well is conditioner. But I do it a bit differently I think. I wet my hair and apply a moderate amount of conditioner at the start of my shower and then go about other showerly duties. When thats done I take whatever shampoo I have on hand and, without rinsing the conditioner (just slightly re-wetting my hair) I wash my scalp and squeeze it through the ends. The I rinse thoroughly with warm water, then again with cold water. I find that my hair feels both clean and moisturized without any excess conditioner in my hair so its not weighed down or greasy at all. Ive found this method really effective and its no more difficult than the "normal" wash, condition routine.

This seems to work very well for me as well..

heidi w.
March 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM
It's times like this I really wish I knew what your hair type was like Heidi. I tried the balm three times and even when used in very small quantities after clarifying, it was too much. I ended up with stringy, weighed down hair and wondered if my F/M texture was to blame, because my hair certainly needed the moisture. I did use the reformulated version though (ingredients here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78162)) so who knows. :undecided

I definitely have stick straight hair that is quite fine yet a fair amount of volume, even though I've lost some volume because of my age (I'm now about to be 52). The above posted video in another post in this thread, a few posts up from this one, has a video of mine that you can see my hair in action, if you like.

I do not possess a single coil, curl, bend or anything wavy.

heidi w.

Sillage
March 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
After trying mutliple times with my sulfate-free Giovanni clarifying shampoos, I end up using my harsh sulfate Suave shampoo that always gets it out. The thing is, isn't the sulfate shampoo stripping what the oil is putting into the hair? It's kinda counteractive.

I do a very heavy pre oiling with coconut once a week when I wash with my sulfate containing dandruff shampoo. I can still feel the coconut oil in my hair after I shampoo... the change in texture is very apparent. I don't know weather this is do to the amount of oil I use or the shampoo, but I certainly see benefits. :flower: