PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have genetically "bad" hair?

infinity_girl
February 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I have been looking after my hair since approx May of 2011 (started taking MSM with the intention of growing my hair). I joined the forum in September of 2011. I have not cut my hair (except for S&D in about 2 years). I have stopped using a hairdryer (not that I used it much anyway), I have started doing henna's, stopped using SLS in my shampoo, tried loads of different products, brought a wooden comb and a tangle teezer, bought loads of different oils - coconut, jojoba, EVOO, castor oil etc.

However, my hair is still totally awful. Even the 6 or so inches of new growth is just what I would describe as "bad" hair. It is dry, frizzy, oily in places, uneven, not curly or straight, different lengths, different thicknesses and just never looks nice. It sits flat on my head and puffy on the sides.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if I am just destined to have bad hair. I feel really miserable as this was going to be one treat to myself (to grow my hair long) but I don't know if it will be possible.

It is almost at BSL now but just looks dry, frizzy and scraggly.

I wash it approx ever 3-4 days. At the moment I am using a Jason Vitamin E shampoo and condition but I have tried various different conditions, some with cones and some without.

I am taking MSM, biotin, flax seed oil and a b-complex vitamin.

I am not sure if the tangle teezer is actually causing more splits and frizziness even though it is supposed to be ok for curly hair.

I am wondering if I just have genetically bad hair and nothing I can do will change that?

Can anyone relate/advise. I feel really deflated about my hair - boo :(.

HappyHair87
February 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM
You might wanna put down the Tangle Teezer....that thing is NOT for everybody. A lot of ppl with type 3/4 hair have issues with that thing causing more harm than good. I hated how it sounded like the thing was ripping my hair so i stopped using it.

DancingQueen
February 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I know how you feel, I have been wondering the same about my hair. I don't think you have genetically bad hair, but I would stop using the Tangle Teezer. When I used it, I found that I had much more damage in my hair, and it ruined a lot of my hair. I am sure it is great for people with straight hair, but not so sure about us curly girls.

If your hair is very dry, try oiling it. It does get better, and it takes a lot of the frizz as well. About the frizz problems, curly hair is generally more frizzy than straight.

I can't say if this will work for your hair, but I find that the best routine for my hair is was every 3 days, and use products especially for frizzy hair. If I go longer without washing, my hair gets even more frizzy. Some people can manage without cones, but I need them to avoid tangles, that will cause more breakage.

I hope you will find what works for you, just keep on trying. Good luck with it. ;)

Edit: I just viewed your profile, and I don't think your hair looks that bad, it actually looks really nice, especially in the first pics.

gypsymoth
February 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
You might wanna put down the Tangle Teezer....that thing is NOT for everybody. A lot of ppl with type 3/4 hair have issues with that thing causing more harm than good. I hated how it sounded like the thing was ripping my hair so i stopped using it.

Seconded! I use my Tangle Teezer for smoothing updos, but for actual detangling? Not for me, thanks!

infinity_girl, how do you dry your hair? I found that drying my hair with a t-shirt using the plopping method instead of a regular towel helped the appearance of my hair a lot. Also, have you tried a couple drops of baby oil on damp hair? I've been using baby oil for a couple weeks and my hair loves it. Do you use any sorts of leave-ins?

Your hair is not hopeless!

infinity_girl
February 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Seconded! I use my Tangle Teezer for smoothing updos, but for actual detangling? Not for me, thanks!

infinity_girl, how do you dry your hair? I found that drying my hair with a t-shirt using the plopping method instead of a regular towel helped the appearance of my hair a lot. Also, have you tried a couple drops of baby oil on damp hair? I've been using baby oil for a couple weeks and my hair loves it. Do you use any sorts of leave-ins?

Your hair is not hopeless!

I normally just leave it to air dry and use the towel for the initial excess drops but hardly use the towel at all (around my shoulders).

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's a question of having "bad" hair..it boils down to how you handle it.

Generally speaking, your hair should only be washed when it needs it.

Since your hair is of a curly nature, I would definitely avoid a brush of any sort, including the Tangle Teaser. Use a wide tooth comb and detangle gently, working from the ends up to the scalp.

What you might want to consider is clarifying your hair, then conditioning, then using mineral oil to keep the hair moisturized.

Here is Ktani's article on using mineral oil for moisture:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Some people just have hair that refuses to fall into a certain category -- some hairs behave normally while others on other parts of the head are very different.

Sometimes you just need to adjust the way you treat these different sections. Wearing your hair in updos is a great way to incorporate all the hair and have it protected as well. When hair is left down, the chances for damage are more pronounced, not to mention the fact of being reminded that it doesn't look as nice as you'd prefer.

ktani
February 26th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I have been looking after my hair since approx May of 2011 (started taking MSM with the intention of growing my hair). I joined the forum in September of 2011. I have not cut my hair (except for S&D in about 2 years). I have stopped using a hairdryer (not that I used it much anyway), I have started doing henna's, stopped using SLS in my shampoo, tried loads of different products, brought a wooden comb and a tangle teezer, bought loads of different oils - coconut, jojoba, EVOO, castor oil etc.

However, my hair is still totally awful. Even the 6 or so inches of new growth is just what I would describe as "bad" hair. It is dry, frizzy, oily in places, uneven, not curly or straight, different lengths, different thicknesses and just never looks nice. It sits flat on my head and puffy on the sides.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if I am just destined to have bad hair. I feel really miserable as this was going to be one treat to myself (to grow my hair long) but I don't know if it will be possible.

It is almost at BSL now but just looks dry, frizzy and scraggly.

I wash it approx ever 3-4 days. At the moment I am using a Jason Vitamin E shampoo and condition but I have tried various different conditions, some with cones and some without.

I am taking MSM, biotin, flax seed oil and a b-complex vitamin.

I am not sure if the tangle teezer is actually causing more splits and frizziness even though it is supposed to be ok for curly hair.

I am wondering if I just have genetically bad hair and nothing I can do will change that?

Can anyone relate/advise. I feel really deflated about my hair - boo :(.

It is in answer to your question and no, I do not think yours qualifies. I speak from experience as mine is no prize in that area. However, you can learn to make the most of yours.

Henna contains both resins and mucilage that gradually wash out between applications. There are recipes in henna threads to help make the hair less tangly and dry after doing henna and washing it out.

The tangle teezer can only do so much. It is also about what is on the hair.

If you have been doing a lot of product experimenting, you may need to clarify your hair. Then with fine hair, again from experience, as mine is mostly fine, the less product you use, the better the hair can look.

Good luck! Been there - fully recovered and more.

88Marisa
February 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Your hair sounds (and looks) a lot like mine and my struggles to have nicer hair. Since you are a curly head, I recommend checking out the Conditioner Only method and use a deep conditioner in addition to whatever you use to actually wash your hair. Your hair is frizzy because it wants moisture, and even occasional shampooing might be drying it out too much. Also find a nice light gel to put in your hair afterwards, my personal favorite is Kinky-Curly.

In a nutshell, look into the Curly Girl methods of care, which means washing with conditioner only and then using a heavier conditioner (possibly using it as a leave-in), then while the hair is still soaking wet, only finger comb to detangle and add your gel. Then use a microfiber towel or tshirt to "plop" the hair for awhile (basically letting the curls form and set without frizz), then finishing up with air drying or using a diffuser and blowdryer.

The Curly Girl method worked pretty well for me, but I found it to be higher maintenance than I enjoyed and I had inconsistent results. I now am on a Water-only routine and am very happy with the condition of my hair. I do think it's a great method for 3a hair, especially if you don't mind wearing it wavy and not curly all the time. However, it does take awhile to transition (with plenty of bad hair days along the way) and I recommend trying a Conditioner only routine for awhile first if you're interested in trying it. But a huge decrease in frizz and much softer, less greasy hair are some of the benefits I've seen on this routine.

kitten1986
February 26th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Yes it is definitely possible to have genetic bad hair there are a number of genes from mum and dad that contribute to your hair. There are some well known ones such as the "wooly hair" gene and a few others that are documented to cause "problems". What is your parents hair like? These genetic conditions are VERY rare so it is highly unlikely you have a genetic hair issue unless you can trace it back through generations of your family.

Mu suggestion is that you try something different for your hair that is not in your normal routine and try not to get down about it. Keep trying until you find something that works for you. Good luck!

jeanniet
February 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The Tangle Teezer may not be for you, but I wouldn't put all the blame on that. I don't get damage from using one, and neither does GRU, so it's hard to say.

Have you tried CO at all? Or CWC? How often do you clarify? Do you have hard water? Ever tried ACV rinses? It sounds to me like your hair may either need a lot more moisture (and less shampoo), or your water is hard and causing buildup. One thing you can do is to dilute your shampoo. You may find that you can get away with using very little shampoo if it's diluted, because it's easier to distribute through the hair. I would try that first, then follow with a ACV rinse (about a tablespoon in a half gallon of water), and see if you notice any difference.

Another suggestion I have is if you want to drop the TT, get one of the wide-toothed detanglers from Hairsense. Those are great combs for curly/thick hair, because the teeth are so widely spaced. I can't use the standard detangling combs; the teeth are too close together and pull my hair too much.

infinity_girl
February 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM
The Tangle Teezer may not be for you, but I wouldn't put all the blame on that. I don't get damage from using one, and neither does GRU, so it's hard to say.

Have you tried CO at all? Or CWC? How often do you clarify? Do you have hard water? Ever tried ACV rinses? It sounds to me like your hair may either need a lot more moisture (and less shampoo), or your water is hard and causing buildup. One thing you can do is to dilute your shampoo. You may find that you can get away with using very little shampoo if it's diluted, because it's easier to distribute through the hair. I would try that first, then follow with a ACV rinse (about a tablespoon in a half gallon of water), and see if you notice any difference.

Another suggestion I have is if you want to drop the TT, get one of the wide-toothed detanglers from Hairsense. Those are great combs for curly/thick hair, because the teeth are so widely spaced. I can't use the standard detangling combs; the teeth are too close together and pull my hair too much.

I have tried doing conditioner only washes with some success but my hair felt a bit "greasy". I have done a couple of ACV washes as I live in London which is apparently hard water. I clarify ever couple of months I guess. I have a wooden comb from The Body Shop that I will use and stop using the TT. I will try a different conditioner and try conditioner only again as I think my hair was a little better (if a bit greasy). Thanks!

Mesmerise
February 26th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Well I do think it is possible to have genetically "bad" hair, but I also think that it's possible to make your hair the best it can be for YOU. I think we're deluding ourselves if we think EVERYONE can have amazingly beautiful hair that just does the right thing. My hair will always be weird because of its uneven wave/curl pattern (it ranges from a 1b/1c to probably 2c/3a on different regions of my head, so WEIRD), but I also know that when the damage has grown out it will be MY best hair and it will look okay.

However, I think it's gonna take more than a few months to see a difference, if the length is damaged. I haven't done anything damaging to my hair in just over a year now, and the length is still horribly frizzy and awful. I have come to terms with the fact that that hair won't improve ever... it will just have to grow out (my goal hair is gonna take at least 4 years to achieve).

All you can do is keep experimenting with products etc. and find out what works best for your hair, and persevere with your growth. Ultimately your hair WILL look better than it does now, but it may never be "perfect".

HappyHair87
February 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Yes it is definitely possible to have genetic bad hair there are a number of genes from mum and dad that contribute to your hair. There are some well known ones such as the "wooly hair" gene and a few others that are documented to cause "problems". What is your parents hair like? These genetic conditions are VERY rare so it is highly unlikely you have a genetic hair issue unless you can trace it back through generations of your family.

Mu suggestion is that you try something different for your hair that is not in your normal routine and try not to get down about it. Keep trying until you find something that works for you. Good luck!

What exactly do you mean when you say "wooly hair gene" :confused:

Knittycat
February 26th, 2012, 10:26 PM
It's a genetic disorder. Here's a yahoo article (http://voices.yahoo.com/woolly-hair-gene-discovered-1036601.html), and here is a clinical abstract (http://www.orpha.net/data/patho/GB/uk-woollyhair.pdf). The yahoo article is brief, the clinical abstract goes into greater depth. Apparently there is also a heart defect that is associated with this genetic disorder.

infinity_girl
February 27th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Just wanted to say that I did another ACV wash last night and OMG, my hair feels so soft and tangle free this morning. I can't believe that a lot of the problem can be caused by build up! Thank you all your wise girlies!

spidermom
February 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
You've gotten a lot of good advice already. I wanted to throw in another vote for CWC with diluted shampoo. That routine has given me consistently better results than CO did. Also, I do a pre-wash coconut oiling to my length only, which the conditioner in CWC gets out.

The only complaint you made that I haven't seen addressed is "many lengths". I want to reassure you that we all have that, although it shows up more in some hair types (like mine). Every day you shed out old hairs and grow in new ones, so you're always going to have multiple lengths of hair, even if you keep the ends trimmed blunt.

chou
February 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
You don't have bad hair, you have curly hair which is AMAZING hair to have! You may just have to experiment with routines and products to get your at its healthiest.
I agree with the advice the other posters have given, I just have one thing to add:
This may not apply to you, but do any of your current hair products contain protein? I have coarse, unruly wavy hair that cannot tolerate protein and get unevenly curly, stick straight in some areas, frizzy, tangled and dull when it gets too much. Perhaps we have similar hair and your hair would benefit from experimenting going without protein? It might be worth a shot. Even when my hair is at its best, though, my waves still have a halo of frizz on them and some might say it's "messy" looking. I call it "romantic." Frizz is not a sign of bad hair condition or genes, it's just a fact of life.

spidermom
February 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
P.S. - I looked at your album, and your hair looked it's prettiest (to me) uncombed.

Finger-combing a little gel or other product through damp hair is a good way to get clumping and smoother curl/wave formation.

Kiwiwi
February 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I really suggest The Curly Girl Method.
I've had a lifetime of hating my hair, not knowing how to take care of it. Now I have the most beautiful, bouncy, soft curls. Give it a shot :-)

Katleen
February 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I do think it is possible, but obviously you are taking very good care of your hair!
My daughter has bad hair, just like her dad, and just like my mother in law... My hairdresser told me to take care of it the best we could, and that would help, but it will take her a lot longer to grow her hair, as she has a lot of breakage.
SMT's work wonders on her, and we don't use a blowdryer unless she has to go outside in the freezing cold.

I just read you have curly hair, and that's me :)
Always thought I had bad hair, until I found LHC, guess what? I don't have bad hair, I have wavy hair! Just needed to find the right way to handle it, and now I even have good hair!

Amber_Maiden
February 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I noticed you've only been a member since September, so about 6 months. You really have to give your hair more time, and to see the effects of what you are doing to help it. Give yourself a year- then you should see some results. Patience.

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 12:49 PM
While there is absolutely unwieldy hair that some possess, you, based on yoru Avatar photo, are not one of these people. There are all kinds of hair problems that can occur genetically such as forms of alopecia, where hair on the entire body is missing, or one can be born with too much hair all over the body--as examples of extreme conditions genetically. I believe a TV show is about to showcase this, a guy wih too much hair all over. I saw it advertised. But you yourself are not in this category. The trick is to find what works for you.

First, I would recommend you detangle with a wide-toothed comb, not the Tangle Teezer.

Second, you might have good results somewhat from Conditioner Only hair washing as a curly gal. I recommend you read Lorraine Massey who is an officionado of curly gals in the hair styling industry. She began the conditioner only hair wash movement, and it seems to work for curly coiled hair. This hair requires much more moisture, and not so much on the shampoo sulfate-based hair washing products. She wrote Curly Girl book and Curly Girl handbook as a followup to Curly Girl - her first book. She runs the online site and salon Devachan Salon. She has low- and no-poo shampoos that she sells. She has different Conditioner Only hair wash instructions for lower or way more curly hair, the curliest being Black people's hair, for example. I would say you could Condition Only hair wash the length and use a tiny bit of shampoo on the scalp skin related hair.

Curly haired people commonly need to oil and detangle the hair while it's a bit wet, such as this method. Coat the hair in conditioner, then using a wide-toothed comb re-dip the comb over&over in a vat of conditioner and comb through the hair while still in the shower to detangle the coiled locks of hair.

Learning how to wash your hair with a method that you can do successfully will help well. Based on your confession of having dry hair, it seems you are in somewhat dire need of conditioner.

Curly hair should never be brushed, and some cases, not even combed, apparently. Some do best with mere finger-combing. Curly haired people tend to form coils of locks, hair coiled together to create a curly hair hairlock. When this hair is brushed, and sometimes even combed, these coiled hair strands are then separated and a poof problem can result. You might fare better with even "picking" your hair much like a Black person might, for example. I hope you know what I mean by using a PIck to detangle the hair.

For your hair, I would refrain from applying oils to scalp skin and related hair. This can definitely be contributing to the kind of greasiness on top and the length being dry. This is by far the most common issue that longer haired people have.

I recommend sleeping on a satin, sateen or polyester pillowcase so that hair can slide during the night. I recommend you find ways to wear your hair up as this protects hair from weather, from being caught, from tangling. (As it gets longer these habits really begin to matter.)

All is not lost. Don't give up yet. You just need to find a good routine that works for you.

Also, all my hairdresser friends have advised me that henna can kind of block the uptake of conditioner. Apparently there exist different kinds of henna that don't do this. But I'm not overly knowledgeable regarding henna. But it's something to look out for.

I wish you the very best. Try to find an LHC Hair Twin and copy their routine. That will likely help you a fair amount, too.

heidi w.

KwaveT
February 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I don't know why everybody things the tangle teezer is all that. I use a tangle teezer just not to detangle. I use a wide tooth comb first. I keep the tangle teezer away from my ends in back of my hair since they flip up and curl. Curlies entire head is that way. I don't even think people with straight hair should be using the teezer to detangle first. Tangles should be dealt with by your fingers and comb first.

Kinkycurlygurl
February 28th, 2012, 09:20 PM
You might check out the the water and sebum threads. I've had really great hair days since I started working the sebum down to the ends of my hair.