PDA

View Full Version : Half up half down...

sazzie88
February 26th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Hi I would very much appreciate sharing any styles you use as the half up half down look.

I keep getting damage at the front of my hair ( I know I need to start doing protect styles but sometimes feel uncomfortable with all my hair up) I thought that this would benefit my ends a lot.

Is there any styles you particularly love/ find easy?

Pictures/ tutorials are very welcome too :)

Thank you

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Sazzie88, whatever style you find, I'd be very careful about not pulling the front hair back too tightly. If your hair is already damaged in the front, putting too much pressure on those strands might lead to more damage.

About the only half up I can think of would be a half up with a Flexi 8..but be careful not to draw back the hair too tightly when putting it in the Flexi 8.

Sillage
February 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I used to HAAAAATE half up half down styles until I started watching Korean dramas. They've got some gorgeously done styles that have made me a total convert!

sazzie88
February 26th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Sazzie88, whatever style you find, I'd be very careful about not pulling the front hair back too tightly. If your hair is already damaged in the front, putting too much pressure on those strands might lead to more damage.

About the only half up I can think of would be a half up with a Flexi 8..but be careful not to draw back the hair too tightly when putting it in the Flexi 8.

It's annoying because the back ends are perfect not one split in sight but the front is a nightmare. Is it a common occurrence with my length hair? I might just try clipping the front out of the way if you think tying it up might cause more damage :)

Bedhead
February 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I've been thinking of doing a herring bone braid with a side part, kind of twisting on my scalp, and letting it flow into the rest. I have yet to learn how to though, so I can't give you a tutorial. But a braid could be gentle enough and is definitely protective.

I also like to take multiple colourful mini hair clips, or just pins, when I'm looking for something more discrete, and clip the front and top back in layers.

And then there's the mini bun(s) held with a nice stick.

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
It's annoying because the back ends are perfect not one split in sight but the front is a nightmare. Is it a common occurrence with my length hair? I might just try clipping the front out of the way if you think tying it up might cause more damage :)

It's hard to say why the front of your hair is suffering. Hairs along the very front of the head are much more delicate than hairs located elsewhere.

I don't think it would be a common occurence with the length of your hair. The damage might be due to loss of moisture. Here is a link to Ktani's article on moisture solutions:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

There are also 2 other mineral oil discussions elsewhere.

If you haven't already, perhaps you could look into using a silk pillowcase cover to protect your hair at night.

If my hair was having problems as you describe, then I'd avoid doing anything with it that might put stress on the strands.

If you need to pin it up to keep it from getting into your eyes, then try and do it loosely..so the hair is not taut..and never, ever, use crossed bobby pins ("X"). This puts too much pressure on your strands.

Lastly, you might want to make sure that the shampoos/conditioners you're using are hair friendly.

I assume you are not using anything made of plastic on your hair (including any type of brush). Plastic is murder on hair because the heat made by the plastic.

sazzie88
February 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
If you need to pin it up to keep it from getting into your eyes, then try and do it loosely..so the hair is not taut..and never, ever, use crossed bobby pins ("X"). This puts too much pressure on your strands.

Eeek! I have been doing this when I pin the sides back to keep it secure as one just slides out! Thank you for pointing it out I will stop doing this. Thank you for the link I will have a look and take notes :)

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Eeek! I have been doing this when I pin the sides back to keep it secure as one just slides out! Thank you for pointing it out I will stop doing this. Thank you for the link I will have a look and take notes :)

sazzie88, you might want to look into these (I found mine at Target):

http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Comfort-flex-Updo-Barrette-Colors/product-reviews/B003XS25JA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I actually bought two sizes. What I like about them is that they're all one piece and very easy to open and close.

sazzie88
February 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
sazzie88, you might want to look into these (I found mine at Target):

http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Comfort-flex-Updo-Barrette-Colors/product-reviews/B003XS25JA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I actually bought two sizes. What I like about them is that they're all one piece and very easy to open and close.

Thanks madora I am going to bu gone of those and also the clever clip that I saw on that page too! :)

dulce
February 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I like to use a small fork for a half up in a bun,no elastics and it doesn't pull back tightly.

lunalocks
February 26th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I have used short spin pins for a half up bun. The bun does not need to be tight. I am scared to use anything else, at this point, as in the past I have had breakage with covered elastics and plastic clips.

sazzie88
February 26th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Thank you for all your great ideas :)

LocustSpawning
February 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I love half up styles. The only one that looks good on me though is the top half of my hair put back, twisted and held with a mini claw clip. Creates volume on the back without any damage and it holds well. :)

annamoonfairy
February 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I tried growing my bangs out and they got to my chest and I just could not style anymore so I wear long side swept bangs even when my hair is up.

BrightEyes
February 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I often wear a half up, either simply pulled back and held with an xs flexi-8 clip or I make a twisty-bun-thing and secure it with a small fork or short sticks. I love GrahToe Studio's micro mini forks, they are the perfect size for halfups:)

Vanilla
February 26th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Arrow has a great half up style in her profile. It's a rope braid using half the hair. Very pretty!

sazzie88
February 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Ooh I'll check the rope braid, thank you for all your suggestions

dulce
February 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I also like to do a half up in a bun,with a fakkare only,no elastics.

dulce
February 27th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Another easy half up I do is to gently pull sides and top back in a pony with hands,[no elastics] and just braid your pony and finish with a cloth elastic.There is no pull on your top or side hair.