PDA

View Full Version : Is your hair up or down when going to church,or other religious service?

ReadHeadGirl
February 26th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I get to wear a bonnet (mennonite) of this type
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=6630316

and my hair is always in a braided bun .

Do you have to cover hair while in church or no ? and hairstyle must be modest or it doesn't matter ?

lostchyld
February 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
The churches I go to, on the occasions I go to church, don't care what your hair looks like, they're just happy to see you. I just wear my hair the same as I wear it every other day of the week.

misspriss
February 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM
It's usually up, but that's because it is usually up 99% of the time.

I noticed yesterday that I was the only woman for like six rows of people with my hair up though, so a lot of people wear it down too.

Snippety
February 26th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I don't attend any religious services but I wanted to say I love that bonnet. It's amazing ! :)

ReadHeadGirl
February 26th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I don't attend any religious services but I wanted to say I love that bonnet. It's amazing ! :)

Thank you,but praise the Lord ! this is a bonnet (mine is dark blue actually,but same model) for girls that are not married . Married women have different type of bonnets.

misspriss
February 26th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Thank you,but praise the Lord ! this is a bonnet (mine is dark blue actually,but same model) for girls that are not married . Married women have different type of bonnets.

Oh cool. I'm married, so I tried to look at ones for married women, but I couldn't find good examples. Are they highly different? Or slight differences?

I may start wearing a headcovering, but it would probably be just a thin or lace handkerchief or scarf. It is acceptable to cover where I go, but most people don't nowdays.

ReadHeadGirl
February 26th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Oh cool. I'm married, so I tried to look at ones for married women, but I couldn't find good examples. Are they highly different? Or slight differences?

I may start wearing a headcovering, but it would probably be just a thin or lace handkerchief or scarf. It is acceptable to cover where I go, but most people don't nowdays.

For married women they look something like this
http://www.plainlydressed.com/cart/prodimages/PikerBonnet1.jpg

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Before the rules were changed, Roman Catholics had to wear a hat or veil or scarf on their heads.

Now, anything goes and you rarely see hats or scarves..except in winter.

Sillage
February 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't go to any religious service that required me to have my hair covered. Something about that really rubs me the wrong way.

misspriss
February 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Ah Cool! They aren't a lot different, just a little different, from what I can tell. Anyway, really awesome.

bumblebums
February 26th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I am an atheist and don't go to church, but if I did, I would have to wear a kerchief to cover all the hair. That's the requirement of the denomination I officially belong to.

I am surprised that the Mennonite-style bonnets actually show hair--isn't that the point of wearing a bonnet, to cover hair up?

freecelt
February 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I don't cover my head when I go to church. I wear my hair down sometimes as it's one of the places where it seams "safe" ie it doesn't get in the way.

Aeris
February 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I'm not currently active in my church (LDS), but when I did go, it was always down. Mainly just because I wanted to look as pretty as possible for any handsome young gentlemen that were there that day. :p From what I remember, most of the other girls wore their hair down, as well. This was in the singles ward though, so it was all young people who were looking to find someone to marry. When I was in a family ward, it was about 50/50.

pepperminttea
February 26th, 2012, 11:40 AM
On the very rare occasion I go; up. Candles!

Alix
February 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I usually crown braid my hair for church.

dwell_in_safety
February 26th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I wear my hair up when I do sporadically attend church, but that's because it's always up anymore. :p In the past it varied.

iloveyourstory
February 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Well I'm Baptist and they are pretty lax, you can even wear jeans to service. I wear my hair both ways at Church, depending on if I was partying the night before. Haha

Unzadi
February 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I'm nondenominational and go to a house church, so my hair is what it is and nobody cares either way. As long as I show up, they're happy to see me.

Cupofmilk
February 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I always wear my hair up. Interestly it is considered rude to wear a hat in my church by some of the memebers. I am CofE and I hope I won't offend but some of the old guard have quite set views.

Othala
February 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I have attended an Anglican church in recent years and have always worn my hair down and uncovered.

longcurlygirl<3
February 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I where my hair down when I go to church because I love it down only for then. I usually then just braid it in a ponytail. My hair is up like 5-6 days so only once a week I where it out or unless I am air-drying.

annamoonfairy
February 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM
75% of the time I wear it up to church : )

longcurlygirl<3
February 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM

That's a nice bonnet though, must protect the hair on sunny days :D what religion are you by the way?

summerjade
February 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I am Baptist and go to church 3 times a week and usuallly wear my hair down. They don't mind how I wear my hair, just being there is what counts.

<3OnHerSleeve
February 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I currently usually wear it up to church, also it's an old tradition in the Catholic church for women to have their heads 'covered' but it is not mandatory (comes from 1 Cor) but I like to sometimes observe the old custom although it is not necessary to the faith to do so. I do want to wear my hair down for more special occassions and I consider church to be one such occasion where one makes themselves look their best.

And I too am loving the bonnet!!!

Fairlight63
February 26th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I go to the Evangelical Free Church and they don't care how you wear your hair. You see all kind of hairdo's there, but most are short & no hair coverings on.
I sometimes wear mine down but usually its up, depending on how it is wanting to behave that day.

ReadHeadGirl
February 26th, 2012, 03:52 PM
That's a nice bonnet though, must protect the hair on sunny days :D what religion are you by the way?

You are kind :) ! yes,those are outdoor bonnets,and we also have regular prayer bonnet like this
http://quakerjane.com/images/plain_dress/caps/eastern1.jpg

Here you can find out more about Mennonite Christians:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservative_Mennonites

we dress plain and modest http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QqmzNB8OhUo/S9iB5u7-DQI/AAAAAAAAAJM/MGGjPlpwVPA/s1600/mennonite.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6460615515_294bcbeabe_z.jpg

lostchyld
February 26th, 2012, 03:57 PM
You are kind :) ! yes,those are outdoor bonnets,and we also have regular prayer bonnet like this
http://quakerjane.com/images/plain_dress/caps/eastern1.jpg

Here you can find out more about Mennonite Christians:
http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservative_Mennonites

we dress plain and modest http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QqmzNB8OhUo/S9iB5u7-DQI/AAAAAAAAAJM/MGGjPlpwVPA/s1600/mennonite.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6460615515_294bcbeabe_z.jpg

It's weird, but I'd probably do well with that, but I can't reconcile what I believe with even more open Christian structures beyond a general agreement that Christ is my way. It's reconcile my friend's beliefs with mine or the church's. I can't compromise both ways and I can't believe that the young man who saved my life and sanity isn't going to a heaven just because he believes something different than what I do.

ReadHeadGirl
February 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I usually crown braid my hair for church.

Beautiful !! :)

Maktub
February 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I always wear mine up and covered mine when praying :)

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I do not attend any church on a regular basis. But I do find myself in church at various points in time. Years ago I had a very weird thing happen in church when I wore my hair down. I was visiting and getting to know some guy who was interested in long hair and he took me to his then church, which seemed to me to be a yelling competition in actuality. I had NEVER in my life been to such a wackadoo church situation where anyone in attendance could stand up and supposedly "preach". And the lead guy was all into "sin" and whatnot and berating the audience that the new church wasn't being built because of their sin. Good Lord! And then out of nowhere some wackadoo lady that had spent the sermon time boo-hooing in the background (it was WEIRD, I'm tellin' ya) approached me, yet I couldn't see her, and she came and tried to hug and give me a kiss. It turned into a slight tumble and an utter fiasco. I think the lady was trying to be nice and had certain ideas about "purity" and long hair and all that kind of wackadooness. Anyway, I managed to extricate myself and then I finally insisted on being taken home. I'd had enough.

My friend has finally seen the light of day and left that church. He was very defensive at the time. I told him he was being abused by this church psychologically. They were filling his head with crazy stuff.

He finally figured it out for himself. I felt bad for him, but people believe what they believe. It can take time for awareness to build.

So, now whenever I go to church, I ALWAYS wear my hair up. Always!

heidi w.

ReadHeadGirl
February 27th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I always wear mine up and covered mine when praying :)

So do I . Praise God !

herdaughter77
February 27th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I love the bonnets!
I don't particularly go to a church on Sundays, but my family get's together with friends down the street on Sundays (unless either of us is gone that day) and talk about various issues and topics. I wear my hair in a twist bun or, if I took a shower that day, I wear it down, because if I don't, it will be wet until I let it down and it will stay gross and greasy. :P

When my family was with the German Baptists and, later, the Mennonites, I can remember my mom and my older sister wearing head coverings, but I was too young by the time we left them, so I never wore them. The prayer bonnet is very familiar to me, since we know friends that wear them on a regular basis.

racrane
February 27th, 2012, 04:06 PM
No, we aren't required to. I do, however, like to look nice when I go. A lot of people don't care how they look, but I think it's good to look nice. :) That usually includes putting my hair up.

ReadHeadGirl
February 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I love the bonnets!
I don't particularly go to a church on Sundays, but my family get's together with friends down the street on Sundays (unless either of us is gone that day) and talk about various issues and topics. I wear my hair in a twist bun or, if I took a shower that day, I wear it down, because if I don't, it will be wet until I let it down and it will stay gross and greasy. :P

When my family was with the German Baptists and, later, the Mennonites, I can remember my mom and my older sister wearing head coverings, but I was too young by the time we left them, so I never wore them. The prayer bonnet is very familiar to me, since we know friends that wear them on a regular basis.

That is nice to know, may the Lord bless you :)

Quetiepi
February 27th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I always wear my hair down, even to church. Sometimes I pull it to the front, if someone with a toddler sits behind me. They think it's pretty & have a hard time not grabbing!
I always get compliments on my hair at church. I am currently the only one there with waist length hair
I have enjoyed reading this thread, thank you for beginning it!

UP Lisa
February 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM
It's generally up like it always is, but this past Sunday I actually had it in a half-up. The church really doesn't care, as long as it's nothing too "wild".

Grillz
February 28th, 2012, 08:46 AM
A girl sat in front of me in church a couple weeks ago with the most beautiful shade of purple mohawk that perfectly matched her sweater. I definitely found it distracting (I just couldn't keep my eyes off of that shade of purple) so I probably didn't focus as much as I normally do. For the most part, everybody wears their hair whichever way goes best with their outfit or the weather or whatever.

BrightEyes
February 28th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I usually wear my hair down and curled on Sundays. I feel like I look my best when my hair is down.

Anje
February 28th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Grew up in the Ev. Free church, now I'm Episcopalian. My hair's usually bunned or braided for church because it's usually bunned or braided in general. There are no rules, though. Either church would have happily accepted me with a 3-foot spiked green mohawk, too.

Shepherdess
February 28th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I believe in covering my head whenever praying, and I always cover my head when going places or at church.

I'm so thrilled to see other ladies here who do so! ! ! :)

bedazzlecat
February 28th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'm Pagan and the way I was taught is to unbind my hair when I'm in circle, a common Neopagan consecrated space for religious ritual. It was said to inhibit the energy flow to have your hair tied, twisted, or braided, unless you were binding something to yourself. Other Pagans practice differently, of course.

Purdy Bear
February 28th, 2012, 12:43 PM
In some Spiritualist churches they dont like hats but in others they are fine. With me I dont have any hair so usually wear a scarf or a beanie of some sort. Its not layed down anywhere its just the church people who get hupity.

MermaidTresses
February 28th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I almost always wear my hair up--- if it's down, I find myself messing with it too much and becoming distracted. I'm also youth director, so I am constantly chasing kids around which makes for some pretty decent tangles!

Caldonia Sun
February 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I just cut back to SL, so it's down. But when it was APL to BSL, I always wore it up. Most all of the older women at church have very short hair. I never see anyone with an updo unless it's a teen just throwing it back with a jaw clip. The church I used to attend had many women that covered their hair for modesty. I got a chuckle from a few of the younger women who covered their hair, yet had on VERY short skirts. I think they missed the point of covering. :)

Vintagecoilylocks
February 28th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Alot of the ladies in my church cover their heads. The hair is down or up. I have noticed that the ones who cover generally have longer hair. Just my observation. Most of the woman will dress modestly and in skirts or dresses. A few parishes will not allow pants on woman. And require a head covered. My daughters and I always where our heads covered and in buns. My youngest sometimes will wear her braids down. I have at times wore a single braid.

When attending most of our monastaries for services one must have their head covered and dress modestly. Many require skirts or dresses.

Pierre
February 28th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Always up, since I'm a man. I take κομη to mean long hair loose, since if it just meant long hair at all, that would be at odds with Samuel. Paul himself was apparently a Nazirite at least once. But mine is usually up anyway.

jeanniet
February 29th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Up, but that's how I always wear it. My church doesn't have a dress standard (for hair or otherwise, that is).

DaniVerde
February 29th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Alot of the ladies in my church cover their heads. The hair is down or up. I have noticed that the ones who cover generally have longer hair. Just my observation. Most of the woman will dress modestly and in skirts or dresses. A few parishes will not allow pants on woman. And require a head covered. My daughters and I always where our heads covered and in buns. My youngest sometimes will wear her braids down. I have at times wore a single braid.

When attending most of our monastaries for services one must have their head covered and dress modestly. Many require skirts or dresses.

May I ask what religion you follow? I find these things very interesting! :)

DaniVerde
February 29th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Oh, I can't edit my posts yet, sorry:

Just to answer the question: I wear my hair down, but I'm just a SL-shortie, so it's not a distraction. And no head-covering, unless it's a special day. I'm Roman Catholic.

poodlemom
February 29th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Mine is mostly up, but it doesn't matter how we wear it. Our ladies wear their hair neatly done, up or down, but uncut.

poodlemom
February 29th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I can't edit my posts yet, either. I'm apostolic. Our ladies don't wear pants, we dress modestly. For a man to leave his hair uncut dishonors his head (God), and for a woman to cut her hair dishonors her head (husband). God gave us (ladies) our hair FOR a covering.

StormVixen
February 29th, 2012, 05:35 AM
My hair is Wild and Free when I'm having a Religious* moment, usually out in the wilds somewhere, sitting, standing or lying down quietly.

*I wouldn't really call it a religion, more like personal beliefs.

wandlimb
February 29th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I'm pagan and I don't do anything particular with my hair. I just tie it up if I'm near candles or it's windy.

Braidmaid
February 29th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks so much for starting this thread, I’ve enjoyed everyone’s input. I attend a non-denominational church, which doesn’t have any particular custom regarding hair or headcovering. After seeking for myself, and studying I Corinthians 11, I decided for myself that I would cover when praying, and also that I would grow my hair for His glory. I don’t have to cover, or have long hair, I choose too.
I usually like to wear my hair down at church, although it is getting quite long; almost knee-length. I’ll probably start wearing it up soon.
Because of my hairlength, and covering, I often get questions regarding why I do it. I then humbly respond why, and I share my faith. It has been a tremendous blessing to me.
By the way, I have always admired Mennonites, your gentleness and simplicity are an incredible example to the rest of us.
God bless!

TheBluffs
February 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I usually go to my parents church, as I really have no choice at the moment, but when I do I always wear my hair up. My mum has asked me plenty of times to wear it down, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.

Shepherdess
February 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks so much for starting this thread, I’ve enjoyed everyone’s input. I attend a non-denominational church, which doesn’t have any particular custom regarding hair or headcovering. After seeking for myself, and studying I Corinthians 11, I decided for myself that I would cover when praying, and also that I would grow my hair for His glory. I don’t have to cover, or have long hair, I choose too.
I usually like to wear my hair down at church, although it is getting quite long; almost knee-length. I’ll probably start wearing it up soon.
Because of my hairlength, and covering, I often get questions regarding why I do it. I then humbly respond why, and I share my faith. It has been a tremendous blessing to me.
By the way, I have always admired Mennonites, your gentleness and simplicity are an incredible example to the rest of us.
God bless!

Same here! We do it because it's our choice, never have been influenced by a church that way. We started after reading 1 Corinthians also! ! ! :)

Hairizona
February 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
The purpose of having hair is to receive communication from CREATION; therefore when I sit in CREATION's "Kyrk", which is outside in nature, my head is uncovered and my hair is free and flowing.........

ReadHeadGirl
February 29th, 2012, 03:04 PM
God bless!

You are right about covering hair ! May the Lord guide you and keep you strong in faith ! Your hair must be so beautiful !! :)

ReadHeadGirl
March 1st, 2012, 08:04 AM
I love the bonnets!

In our community, girls that are not married ,younger and older when wearing bonnets like everyday ,we can wear different colors (blue, brown ) we wear the braids down the back, but when we go to the house of prayer we must have our hair up gathered in a bun and covered by a bigger bonnet ,which is black.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13025462@N08/2442535669/

Amber_Maiden
March 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM
It was usually down, but now I wear my hair up most of the time, so now it's always up.

Vintagecoilylocks
March 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
May I ask what religion you follow? I find these things very interesting! :)

Eastern Orthodox. I attend a Carpatho Russian parish but visit the Russian Parishes also. We have visited the Greek monastaries. The Russian monastary requires a skirt, dress and head covering. Some of their parishes also require skirts/dresses and head covering. Then their is the Orthodox Church of America and you see coverings at the parish at the monastary seminary but not so much in their parishes. Their are some that have a large population of Ethiopians and they do cover. I have visited Antiochian Orthodox churches and it varies within the parish. I like to get around and meet the faithful of all the different rites.
We are of one belief but traditions and customs vary with the rites. Worldliness influence is something all struggle with.

I guess I should clarify. It is the Holy Eastern Orthodox Church of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

sonng
March 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Omg.. the bonnet is so cute!!!

MandyBeth
March 1st, 2012, 09:53 PM
Covered, more as I tend to be near candles, and with my lightweight fly away prone hair being allowed near open flame equals hair flambe. J has her hair up, but she always does.

Neneka
March 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM
This thread is very interesting and I love those bonnets! :)

I was in a protestant church (evangelical lutheran). The only rule I remember is that men do not wear a hat in a church. Women can wear a hat if it belongs to the outfit. I haven't been there much. I mostly visit the church when there is a wedding or confirmation and I am no longer a member.

Shesta
March 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM
If I'm in a church (Christian orthodox) I'm wearing hair up mostly because of practical reasons - I don't want it to get on fire by the occasional candle. I've seen this happening to other people.

jackie75
March 2nd, 2012, 04:04 AM
I'm non-denominational and wear my hair up or down. I just love reading about Mennonite and old order Amish. I really wish sometimes I grew up in those types of communities, and still ponder throwing away this modern lifestyle and moving my family to Pennsylvania. :) I feel like I was born in the wrong century...but I believe our Lord is sovereign, so I try hard to trust in Him!

God bless you...what a beautiful head covering!

Kinkycurlygurl
March 2nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'm an eclectic pagan generally speaking hair's down and completely unbound, but lately I've noticed a trend toward covered hair in the pagan community.

Seeshami
March 2nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
I hardly ever practice my religion outside of my home. It's private, it's MINE, I don't have to share it, talk about it or explain myself and that changes my answer from what it would be if I practiced a religion that is shared with others. But thinking about it, my hair is up 50% of the time and down the rest. There are somethings that hair is just safer up then down.

If I was normal it would be up. I generally do not let the naughty mess be untamed and down. He'll eat my face.

sfgirl
March 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Whenever I went to church I just wore my hair down. I don't really go to church anymore, as I don't really identify as a Christian anymore, though I still hold a lot of Christian morals.
My jewish friend is kind of like me. He just always says that although he doesn't really believe in it, he identifies as Jewish because it teaches you how to be a good person. :)