PDA

View Full Version : Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

Pages : [1] 2 3

brightonwoman
July 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM
(I hope it's okay to ask something like this...I'm still a newbie here, and I wasn't sure where to put this post.)

The title pretty much sums it up...I know that some religions have grooming/modesty standards, and I've seen a few churches where it seemed like all the women had long hair, so I guessed it was probably part of the faith. But I never really knew for sure.
In my case, it's not something my religion asks or requires, but it is something I feel spiritual about...having long hair, and the time and care involved in growing it, makes me feel more in touch with nature and the Divine, you know? And I really like that.
What about you?

Saryn Jumail
July 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Well, I'm Jewish, and we're not supposed to cut our hair, but that's not the only reason I'm growing it.
I'm growing it because I like it, and because a lot of the people around here don't appreciate long hair, and I want to be able to show them that having long, healthy hair is possible.

mommy2one05
July 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yes my long hair is for religious reasons. When I was younger I had hair almost down to my ankles (I won the Illinois state ponytail contest several times), but then when I got out of church I cut my hair till it was a little shorter than touching shoulders (this was multiple cuts) and I could only get a stub of a ponytail . The last cut was in the late fall of 2004 and since then I got back in church and have been growing my hair....now it is waist lenght but it really feels like it grows slow. By the way I am Pentecostal/Apostolic. Feel free to ask any questions and I will not shove the religion down your throat.

AJoifulNoise
July 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yes and no.

I started growing my hair long for religious reasons. I was attending an apostolic pentecostal church and long hair was part of the doctrine. I have since left that church and I don't think long hair is required by God. I am continuing to grow anyway (a) because I like my long hair and (b) I am still studying my beliefs and praying about what God really wants.

ETA: It's a miracle in of itself that I didn't cut as soon as I left the church. That tends to be how my personality works. If someone tells me I have to do something, I do the opposite. But... I love my hair so I'm keeping it.

nappywomyn
July 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yes - it's an aspect of the wonder that the gods shaped me into, and allowing it to be itself (in texture and length) is, for me, a way to honor my gods.

sedonia
July 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM
My answer would be no. However, the vanity that motivates me is divinely pure. Does that count?

skydancer7
July 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
My hair is not long yet, but the journey feels like a meditaion, a practice in patience. That's as close to religious as it gets

Sorry, I don't know how to edit my posts. I meant that's as close to religion as it gets for me. :)

bgarrison
July 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM
no, but i have cut my hair at times for ritual/ spiritual religions. i've heard certain cultures believe memories are stored in one's hair, and i've noticed at times of great transition, cutting my hair has been part of the passage. as if i want to rid myself of old memories and start fresh.

Gumball
July 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I'm growing it for me. No religious reasons here. For a while I thought long hair was beautiful but was too afraid of people's reactions to begin to grow it. When I got to the point where I finally started the journey I never looked back. It's been wonderful since.

AnimaSola3o4
July 20th, 2008, 04:54 PM
This is a fascinating thread. :)

Personally I didn't start growing my hair out for spiritual or religious reasons. I have always loved long hair, and it suits me more than short hair. I was going to a AoG church for a long time and a lot of the women there did grow their hair very long, but it was not required by any means.

I do see the verses that pertain to long hair as positive for me though. :)

Also for myself, I find that the desire to have long hair is very deeply rooted in me, and sort of makes me feel connected to history in a way. I feel on some level, a connection to women of the past who have had long hair. I don't know if that makes sense or not... but I love history and tradition, and I want to be a part of it and growing my hair makes me feel like I am part of it. :)

That's the first time I've actually communicated those feelings... it feels good to talk about it though. :)

moon-flower
July 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM
This is all most a "trick" question. I do not have long hair for spiritual/religious reasons. I have UNCUT hair for those reasons, or should I say biblical reasons. And because my hair is uncut, it is long. Yep, I don't mean to umm...disrespect your question, actually, I find it intresting, because a know a lot of religious organizations, where women do not cut their hair, or at least keep it long. I haven't cut or trimmed my hair since Sept. 2002. so now it has gotten long, but I cut it a month or two, before I got back into the church.

Yeah, I'm Apostolic Pentecostal too, and if you want to know more, ask away! Hopefully I can anwser your questions, if not, I will find someone who can.

I wondered if a few people here did have longer hair because of their beliefs, that's interesting.

rockkcor
July 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Long hair is natural...

Therefore it comes from God!

I grow my hair because I believe it belongs to someone I love - and I am searching for that significant one...

So I grow it because of love and because it is gift that came from God itself...

I concider myself religious person, but I don't think I can be labeled as member of any specific church...

There is much 'religion' in long hair, as there are anthropological and evolutionary reasons that we have ability to grow hair...

So answer is yes - no matter what you consider 'religion'!

Delila
July 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Nope. I just prefer wearing it long.

GlassEyes
July 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
My answer would be no. However, the vanity that motivates me is divinely pure. Does that count?

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I'm sorry, but that just made me laugh completely out loud.

As for me, I'm not growing my hair for any other reasons beyond that I like it and that it feels right...and my own personal vanity I suppose. xD

lookingglass
July 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I started growing my hair as acceptance of myself and my hair texture...for the freedom to just be! I feel that my long hair is a visual representation of my freedom from the confines of societal norms and in natural beauty. That is spiritual!

thankyousir74
July 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
My hair is not long yet, but the journey feels like a meditaion, a practice in patience. That's as close to religious as it gets

Sorry, I don't know how to edit my posts. I meant that's as close to religion as it gets for me. :)

::raises hand::
Basically same thing here

DotDotDot
July 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM
No, it's not. I'm growing mine out simply because I've always prefered the look of long hair to short hair. It might be cultural influence - I'm half Indian, and many Indians have long hair.

Missie
July 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Definitely for reasons of faith.
I grow mine as an outward sign (to myself mostly) of inner consecration to the Lord Jesus Christ. For some of us who allow our hair to grow by faith, we are strict about their hair being "uncut" (no trimming unless for unusual circumstance) but for me I'm happy to give it a trim when the ends are looking ragged.
I also love long hair and sincerely believe it is given to us as a sort of gift.. our glory...
hugs
Cherie

EvaSimone
July 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM
No, I grow my hair because I like it that way and I trim it when I feel like it :)

Mary <><
July 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
My faith embraces long hair as a glory! :D

angelthadiva
July 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM
My faith embraces long hair as a glory! :D

Well said! I feel the same way, although I grow my hair long because I like the look of my hair long; not so much for religous reasons...My hair being my crowing glory is an added bonus! :D

tobikay
July 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Yes, for religous reasons, and ditto what everyone else has said. I am also apostolic/pentecostal, but currently attending an Assembly of God church (long story).
Haven't trimmed my hair since spring of '05, currently at BSL (grows slowly due to PCOS, but that is getting under control with diet, no meds, in addition to learning better care for my hair, let see what happens now!). My dd is 6 and right now her hair is at tailbone...barring any emergancy it will grow UNCUT until she moves out of my house, at that point she will be free to make her own decision, unitl then I am spiritually responsible for her.

noelgirl
July 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
The simple answer for me is no, it's more of an aesthetic preference with a bit of rebellion thrown in there. For some reason, though, a lot of acquaintances tend to think of me as being more religious than I am, and part of it seems to be the association between faith and long hair. I was raised Jewish (although my family's practice of it was always pretty liberal/assimilated) and as an adult I'm not religious in the formal sense. Maybe spiritual? That's been sort of an exploration lately.

Starr
July 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Well said! I feel the same way, although I grow my hair long because I like the look of my hair long; not so much for religous reasons...My hair being my crowing glory is an added bonus! :D

This totally applies to me as well!:)

Patrycja
July 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I really don't know how to answer this correctly.If there is a way.I'm not religious,so I know that's not the reason why I'm growing my hair.It's not spiritual either.I'm growing my hair for my reasons. There isn't a specific reason why,it's just something that I have put my mind to and I am determined to make it happen. I have control issues and this is something I have control over.I am the one who says it needs to be washed,I'm the one who says if it can be cut or not,etc etc.I'm losing control over many things in my life right now and having control over my hair keeps me somewhat grounded.

Nevermore
July 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
This is a fascinating thread. :)
Also for myself, I find that the desire to have long hair is very deeply rooted in me, and sort of makes me feel connected to history in a way. I feel on some level, a connection to women of the past who have had long hair. I don't know if that makes sense or not... but I love history and tradition, and I want to be a part of it and growing my hair makes me feel like I am part of it. :)

That's the first time I've actually communicated those feelings... it feels good to talk about it though. :)

I started growing my hair as acceptance of myself and my hair texture...for the freedom to just be! I feel that my long hair is a visual representation of my freedom from the confines of societal norms and in natural beauty. That is spiritual!

These two quotes are most of why I'm growing my hair out. The rest of it is that I like taking care of it, for so many reasons.

goldenwaves
July 21st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Nope, I'm not religious. Interesting thread though!

Monsterkitti
July 21st, 2008, 02:01 AM
Really interesting thread :)

No Im not religious. Im growing my hair because I think long hair is beautiful and also very much a practice in paitience, something Im trying to get better at :)

DecafJane
July 21st, 2008, 03:34 AM
No. I am growing mine to love and respect myself as I want to be, rather than what other people think I should be. It is about being honest with myself, and loving and respecting myself.

Riot Crrl
July 21st, 2008, 03:41 AM
Nope, I'm not religious. Interesting thread though!

Yep, me too. :)

sapphire-o
July 21st, 2008, 03:52 AM
Nope, and I don't think I have any deeper / spiritual reason for growing long hair. I'm only growing it out of curiosity. :)

eadwine
July 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM
Nope, no religious reason here either. I just grow it because I wanted to have looong hair at least ONCE in my life. Just like there are many things that I have changed around since I started living on my own. Now I can do what -I- want, without someone criticizing me right away :lol:

purpleorc
July 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM
There is no spiritual or religious reasons to why have long hair.

This is an interesting topic for a thread and has been good reading peoples reasons for their long hair.

jesusfreak2185
July 21st, 2008, 05:30 AM
so do you know how to do a lot of the hairstyles that pentecostals do with their hair. i would like it if you could share with me on how to do some of those hair styles.

lilalong
July 21st, 2008, 05:49 AM
No, my hair is long because I like it that way.
I want free reign about my appearance and would never join a religion that reads any kind of symbolic meaning into the way I look.

tobikay
July 21st, 2008, 06:13 AM
so do you know how to do a lot of the hairstyles that pentecostals do with their hair. i would like it if you could share with me on how to do some of those hair styles.

Honestly I wish that I could figure out some of those styles. Although I will say that from what I do know (this is why I don't attend the Apolostic/Pentecostal church, the ladies aren't "friendly" there) they use alot of heat to get those curls and lots and lots and lots of hairspray and other product. They are good at getting their hair to look healthy when it is up, but I have seen many with severely damaged hair.

mira-chan
July 21st, 2008, 06:26 AM
Grew it because I felt like it. No reason beyond that.

Amoretti
July 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM
I'm an Atheist but I consider myself to be a spiritual person (the two are not in conflict IMO), so I suppose you could say I am growing partly for spiritual/physical reasons:

I bow to beauty,
freedom to be myself,
sensuous pleasure,
a tie to history,
the feminine spirit in me (in a male's case it would be the male spirit. I don't think long hair is exclusively feminine),
because I enjoy being different.
:)

Duchess of Erat
July 21st, 2008, 06:32 AM
Same here, I'm growing my hair because I like it.

sexyjacksparrow
July 21st, 2008, 06:41 AM
Nope - I'm an atheist and don't particularly consider myself spiritual either. I'm just growing it because I like it and out of curiosity.

It's interesting to hear about other people's reasons though.

Kerry xx

robinm
July 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM
Interesting thread. I am also an atheist. I'm surprised at the amount of "nos" here, actually :).

I just like long hair and think that it is beautiful and one of the sexiest things that a woman can do.

eresh
July 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Well and this is the part where I get confused...

I'm Jewish and I'm growing mine partly for spiritual reasons, I think the patience needed to care for and grow your hair long builds character, but the main reason is because I really like long hair and makes me feel feminine.

I'm really interested what the other Jewish ladies here think about the subject, is it a mitzvah to have long hair?
Or is it a topic not really discussed anywhere in the texts.(female long hair)

I've heard the comments that my long hair isn't tzeniut (modest)....it is too seductive.(I'm not married btw)

I've been looking for more info on this very subject but couldn't find a lot (on women).
Except "A womans hair is her nakedness" about haircovering, and Lillith having long hair to seduce.
Only in the messianic judaism branch, "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her".
And everything about long hair and orthodox/conservative judaism was about boys and men.

Periwinkle
July 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
Interesting thread. I am also an atheist. I'm surprised at the amount of "nos" here, actually :).

I just like long hair and think that it is beautiful and one of the sexiest things that a woman can do.

I'm surprised at the amount of yesses!

I'm also an atheist; I'm really just not bothered about cutting my hair so I wear it long.

kashencarrie
July 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
(this is why I don't attend the Apolostic/Pentecostal church, the ladies aren't "friendly" there)

I'm Apostolic Pentecostal.
<a little hijack> I want to say I'm sorry the ladies at that church weren't friendly. How awful. You can come to my church anytime and be bombarded by all the people who want to meet you :) <end hijack>.
Second, I grow my hair because of a personal conviction I have. It is not because my religion told me to. I believe though my own bible reading that if I have long hair it is pleasing to God. So I make a personal choice to have long hair.
Finally, I can't do any of those styles either. I have very fine, slippery, heavy hair. It would take me a million bobby pins and a ton of hairspray to hold it. :shrug:

Loreyanne_H
July 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM
No. I am growing mine to love and respect myself as I want to be, rather than what other people think I should be. It is about being honest with myself, and loving and respecting myself.

I couldn't have said it better, I definitely agree.
Interesting thread, anyways!:)

Lady Godiva
July 21st, 2008, 09:26 AM
I grew my hair long for a variety of reasons, in no particular order:

1) for the superficial fun of it, as a game to see how long it would grow, never entertaining the idea it would grow below waist length. :uhh:

2) in rebellion against forced short haircuts for my entire childhood and the BS admonitions that my hair seriously lacked all sorts of good qualities, so it might as well be short (gee, thanks, grownups of my childhood!)

3) in rebellion against the conservative Christianity that I grew up in that emphasized intelligence, education and good works, all the while disdaining any kind of focus on external appearances, i.e. "vanity"

4) because it's natural and biologically normal for men and women to have long scalp hair.

So, to answer the topic question, it was definitely NOT for religious reasons or to please God, whom I suspect really doesn't cares what's on our heads so much as what goes on inside our heads. :wink:

Eden Iris
July 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I think the patience needed to care for and grow your hair long builds character.

Yes, that. I see it almost as a meditative practice, so does that count?

It's fascinating to me that some belief systems consider long hair a spiritual requirement, while others consider attention to personal appearance nothing but vanity. I do think that hair, and the rest of me, is a divine gift, but that doesn't stop me from altering it (cutting hair, piercing, inking). I believe that free will and personal choice are also divine gifts, and I am most grateful for them.

vindo
July 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
No religious reasons here. But my medieval reenactment hobby inspired me.

vidgrl007
July 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
I am growing my hair because I've had my hair short most of my life and want to grow it long and strong:).

Euphony
July 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm agnostic so my answer is no. I grow my hair because I can (finally) and I like it.

No religious reasons here. But my medieval reenactment hobby inspired me.
hahahaha this reminds me of what a friend of mine said! Hubby and I had a renaissance/medieval/fantasy wedding (yes we couldn't make up our minds and we were having way too much fun). My hair was apl, hubby made me a gorgeous circlet reminiscent of Arwen's coronation circlet, but mine is made of copper and brass sheet and wire. I hadn't seen my friend in nearly two years. She was gushing over my hair and said "you two have got to have a renewal, you need to wear the same clothes and your circlet and you've got to have your hair down!".

Eireann
July 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
I don't follow any particular religion, but the process of growing my hair has definitely been spiritual in a way. It requires me to practice patience and to resist instant gratification. It also frees me from transient fashions and allows me to be myself. It has actually been surprising in that way. I didn't expect it to be that way.

rhosyn_du
July 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
To the extent that everything I undertake is a part of my spiritual practice, and in the sense that reveling in beauty is fairly central to my spirituality, yes, but it's that I enjoy long hair and the growing process that makes it so, rather than being part of any doctrine.

vampstero
July 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I just really enjoy having my long hair. It's for no particular reason, it suits me. ^_^

truepeacenik
July 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
Well, I'm Jewish, and we're not supposed to cut our hair, but that's not the only reason I'm growing it.
I'm growing it because I like it, and because a lot of the people around here don't appreciate long hair, and I want to be able to show them that having long, healthy hair is possible.

I'd be interested to know which denomination, as most women at my shul have short hair. Some wear wigs over that, to boot, but cloche hats are popular, with the occasional scarf.

My hair is indeed an oddity, in length and color.

But to the OP, I grow it for spiritual reasons (meaning, {way} aside from Judaism).
I feel that cutting is subtracting from you and your essence (funny, I don't feel that way about nails or dieting, just hair)
and that subtracting is bad for one's soul.

Tressie
July 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
I don't really grow:) my hair for spiritual reasons, but I do believe that the Bible says a woman's hair is her covering, and I do feel a sort of "spiritual" connection to my hair, so maybe on some level I am?;)

Angellen
July 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
My hair is not long for religious reasons, but its length represents something spiritual for me. It's also a test in patience and compassion for me, and an exercise in loving myself and the body I was given.

As others have mentioned, my hair is also a connection to the past. I'm fairly traditional and love history--I feel more comfortable (in the mental sense, as opposed to the physical sense) in historical garb than your typical 21st century attire. Long hair a part of that, and is something I feel entitled to. It makes me feel secure and at peace, and while I do not make any distinct connection between my hair and Divinity, I do feel more spiritually in-tune with long hair.

(As a semi-side note, it is extremely difficult for me to picture the female side of the Divine with something besides long hair. I just have a really hard time doing it.)

spidermom
July 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM
I do enjoy the symbolism associating long, flowing hair with bountiful harvests in the Havamal and sagas. Long hair is for me a celebration of the blessings in my life. I have the luxury of caring for my hair and obsessing over ultimately unimportant things like split ends and length. If some enemy were bombing my neighborhood or my life were a constant fight for food, water, shelter, if I had cancer - so many things - then I wouldn't have the luxury of nurturing this long hair.

Samikha
July 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm an Atheist but I consider myself to be a spiritual person (the two are not in conflict IMO), so I suppose you could say I am growing partly for spiritual/physical reasons:

I bow to beauty,
freedom to be myself,
sensuous pleasure,
a tie to history,
the feminine spirit in me (in a male's case it would be the male spirit. I don't think long hair is exclusively feminine),

Well put! All that and more here.
I never liked my hair much. It has its frizz, its flyaways, etc. I never noticed it much till I got to be about fifteen, when I got my first non-blunt cut. In the years since I have mostly noticed it only to hairspray or gel the flyaways into submission.
So while growing my hair is not religious, it is an exercise in self-control and in...appreciating parts of me, maybe. As others have said, long hair is a tradition that can connect us to the past, much like other crafts like embroidery, or spending time in nature, or (for me) housework. Not religious. But a hobby that brings a bit of spirituality into the day :)

Laululintu
July 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
The simple answer for me is no, it's more of an aesthetic preference with a bit of rebellion thrown in there.

That took the words right out of my mouth. I keep my hair long because I like it best that way :)

feralnature
July 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
I grow my hair long, not for religious reasons, but spiritual. I cut my previously long hair and in so doing lost my mojo. I won't be myself again until my hair is long.

longhairedfairy
July 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Ah! It keeps telling me my posts are too short when they are full paragraphs!
That really was well put, Amoretti!
I grow mine because I like it long. It's non-conforming (to the current fads), it makes me feel feminine (I'm not saying it's strictly feminine, so no offense intended toward the men), I can do a lot with it, and it's low-maintenance.

brightonwoman
July 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
For those of you who have a religious standard of 'not cutting' your hair...I'm curious where that comes from. Is it Biblical? I know the verse that said that a woman's hair is her glory, and is given to her as a covering...I'm wholly on board with the wearing it long, but why are you not supposed to even trim?
I'm just genuinely curious!

NurseMama
July 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
There are a lot of reasons why I grow my hair long. I try to do things as natural as possible as that makes me feel closer to the divine and to nature. When I pollute my hair or my body with chemicals I just generally feel crappy. I don't like looking like everyone else. I live in something of a "cookie cutter" area where all women my age look generally the same. Tons of makeup, highlights, and flat-ironed hair. My job pretty much necessitates hair longer than shoulder length to be pulled back. I don't like short short hair on myself (although that black bob at 18 was pretty striking) and I get sick of a pony tail every day. Long hair gives me more updo options. The biggest reason why I grow my hair is that I feel more beautiful when my hair is long...

Now, I have cut my hair in life for spiritual reasons. My mom died suddenly and I felt like I was walking around and everyone was just treating me normally. I wanted my grief to be plain, to be as much of an outward expression as it was an inward one. I thought of the wailing women who "shorn" their hair and donned sackcloth and ashes. Although I am not Christian I identified with that tremendously. I wanted to be able to wail and cry, but our society doesn't really allow that. So I tried to grieve outwardly the best that I could. I chopped my waist length hair off to chin and donated it to locks of love. I wore black (except at work where we have to wear blue) for 6 months after she passed with no jewelry or makeup. Now, I wear her ring everyday to still remind me of her. I feel free of grief now, because I allowed myself to completely give in to the process of grieving to the utmost. I still miss her terribly, but I feel at peace.

angelthadiva
July 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
For those of you who have a religious standard of 'not cutting' your hair...I'm curious where that comes from. Is it Biblical? I know the verse that said that a woman's hair is her glory, and is given to her as a covering...I'm wholly on board with the wearing it long, but why are you not supposed to even trim?

The Bible never says that a woman cannot cut her hair. It just says that her hair is to be long.

To answer your question w/o getting too religious :D I would say that some people have a personal conviction about not cutting their hair...Although it is not Biblical (i.e. in the Bible); they feel like this is something God told them not to do...The same could be said for many things. Personal Convictions are serious, and are taken seriously by God.

I personally know people who do not drink alcohol because of a personal conviction--Eventhough the Bible says "use a little wine for the stomachs sake".

Every person's walk with the Lord is different because we are all different...He gives us each what we need :) HTH :flower:

Medvssa
July 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
No. I am not religious, I am an atheist, and I don't think I am spiritual either. I like long hair.

Rain
July 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM

:lol: What she said.

VanillaTresses
July 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
No-- personally, to me, long hair is more of an aspect of untouched nature / acceptance of nature "as it is" than it is a religious aspect. However, I guess that for me personally, nature is inextricably tied into spirituality/religion.

On what I feel is a similar note, leaving my natural hair color unaltered to me is part of acceptance of one's own appearance-- a concept that I still struggle with but am trying to ultimately learn.

:D

orbiting
July 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
The Bible never says that a woman cannot cut her hair. It just says that her hair is to be long.
Politely and respectfully: Where? I'm just curious.

I think my question reveals my answer ;) No, I'm not growing my hair for religious/spiritual reasons.

ladystar
July 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't really grow:) my hair for spiritual reasons, but I do believe that the Bible says a woman's hair is her covering, and I do feel a sort of "spiritual" connection to my hair, so maybe on some level I am?;)

I agree!!!

angelthadiva
July 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Politely and respectfully: Where? I'm just curious.

I think my question reveals my answer ;) No, I'm not growing my hair for religious/spiritual reasons.

Out of respect for the thread and the original topic, I will PM you the answer. :flower:

Chromis
July 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Nope, I just like long hair!

Radulfr
July 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
I sure would like to locate one of those churches where they have the unusually long hair. All the ones I have gone to, hardly anyone has even BSL length.
Different interpretations of scripture, I guess.

As for why I grow...
I like it.

Speedbump
July 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Long hair is definitely spiritual for me. It is not a requirement, I don't belong to anything organized, but it sure helps to get me in the spiritual mood to take my hair down. :D

Siava
July 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM
No, but practicing patience and nurturing has been conducive to finding inner peace.

Anlbe
July 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Try to be religious and spiritual, but my long hair is unrelated. In my church the only traditions relating to hair are that some cover it in church/during prayer (which for some women is all the time) but this actually seems to encourage shorter hair than those who leave it uncovered in contradiction of tradition.

kwaniesiam
July 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
My hair has nothing to do with religion, but experiments in the past have been very enlightening. :lol:

LongForLife
July 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I am religious & spiritual, however that doesn't directly have anything to do with why I have long hair. I am Roman Catholic, so there are no requirements for hair there.
I have it for many reasons.

1. I have ALWAYS loved long hair and find it beautiful and captivating.

2. Having long hair makes me feel more beautiful. Plus like someone mentioned earlier, I do think it could be considered more seductive in certain circumstances.

3. I have a thing for periods of time in history that all seem to have people with long hair. :D Look at all the ladies in the knights and castles era... they always seem to have long flowing hair. Plus I love the longer mens hair of those eras as well.

4. I actually find it easier to care for than short styles. I can just quickly braid it or ponytail it, if need be. A lot of the shorter styles actually entail more "styling" just for everyday. If I am going to spend lots of time on my hair, I want it to be for a beautiful long style or up-do, not just to work on a daily short hair style.

5. So many women have short hair, that having long hair really stands out. My entire life men have commented and noticed me for my hair. Not to mention many woman comment as well, and always say they "wish" they could have long hair. :rolleyes: That comment always seem crazy to me, because they can, they just don't stick to it.

6. On some level it could be spiritual as others have said, it has a natural feel and somehow connects me closer to nature, hence closer to a spiritual feeling, I guess. Kind of the same way I feel when seeing nature in the early morning when it appears so peaceful and stunning. (Even though I am not a morning person):p

The fact that long hair is even mentioned in the bible as a woman's crowning glory, is really more of an added bonus, and has no influence at all on my reasons for having it. There are probably more reasons than I can even think of at the moment. :shrug:

ladyshannonanne
July 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Long hair isn't a religious choice for me, but choosing not to straighten my hair is a spiritual choice. I live in Orange County, CA, and I have 100% natural, un-dyed, un-straightened hair and that sometimes makes me feel less attractive than many women around here. But I want to learn to be content and joyful with the beautiful hair God gave me.

longhairedfairy
July 25th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I tend to associate very short hair with feeble old unattractive women (pleasedon'tshootmethisisjustmyopinion) because I grew up with lots of old women who nearly all had hair cut above their ears and often permed. I thought it looked ugly then and still do. To me it is the "old person who doesn't take care of herself" look. My mom's mother usually let her hair grow a bit longer and I was always proud that she looked so much more attractive than all her friends, many of them several years younger than she was.

ETA: I really, really hope that didn't offend anyone, especially anyone who has lost hair to illness or knows someone who has. I didn't mean it that way.

Siowiel
July 25th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Not really reasons of faith here.

Although I am Christian, my denomination (Roman Catholic)sets no rules on how women (or men) have to keep their hair, long, short, shaved, in rastas or however.

But I feel more feminine with long hair, and embracing the (gender) role God has given me is of course part of my spirituality, so perhaps I have more reasons of faith for grwoing than I thought.

sassystyle
July 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I really don't know how to answer this correctly.If there is a way.I'm not religious,so I know that's not the reason why I'm growing my hair.It's not spiritual either.I'm growing my hair for my reasons. There isn't a specific reason why,it's just something that I have put my mind to and I am determined to make it happen. I have control issues and this is something I have control over.I am the one who says it needs to be washed,I'm the one who says if it can be cut or not,etc etc.I'm losing control over many things in my life right now and having control over my hair keeps me somewhat grounded.

I used food to exercise control - I'm thinking hair would have been healthier. I hope things go smoother soon.

sassystyle
July 25th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm a Christian, but do not grow my hair out for spiritual reasons. The only one I know who was required to not cut his hair was Samson. :)

I'm growing my hair out because I am loving it long and what I can do with it. There is nothing like feeling your hair cascading down your back. :) It makes me feel very in touch with my feminine side. I also think it has a sensual side, too.

I love the old photos of women with beautiful long hair, and feel a kindred spirit with them.

A side note: when I was in cosmetology school, an older women came in with long, silver hair. She had part of it coiled atop her head. I was stunned by how beautiful she looked and decided right then and there, I would have a head of hair like that when I reach my senior years. :)

Saranne772
July 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I am a Christian and I do believe that hair should be long as a glory to God. However I do not believe that it HAS to be as long as i am aiming for- I love long hair anyway so I am still growing.

Stagecoach
July 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Well, in my faith we're told that long hair is a womans glory..... so in that since it affects my hair growth. But I certainly haven't grown it this long simply because of that! Mostly since about BSL I've been growing simply because I wanted to.

zen_oven
July 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
No, but this is an interesting thread! I'm just growing mine because I haven't had long hair in years and I miss it!

DeepRiver
July 27th, 2008, 09:26 PM
This is my first post, so please forgive any typos. I find this topic fascinating! I am not growing out my hair for religious reasons, but instead because I have always wanted to do it, but have not had the patience. My hair is the longest it has ever been, and I feel a connection to history somehow (a previous poster mentioned this also). It just seems to be that historical women w/long hair seem so feminine, you know? Like they were able to get the job done and still value "their feminine side". It is a difficult thing to explain.

Bene
July 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
nope, big ol' heathen here :D

for me, it's a matter of curiosity, vanity, and sheer stubbornness.

AerisDawn
July 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm glad someone started this thread. I'm not really religious but I started growing my and stopped using chemicals on my hair because I wanted to get closer to nature and because I think God would be pleased that I'm taking better care of my hair. I feel that He gives us a lot of gifts that we should be thankful for and hair happens to be one of those gifts.

willowcandra
July 30th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Not for religeous reasons but maybe for spiritual reasons.
I feel more natural with long hair. More femenine and strong.

HairyCarrie
July 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm still in the short stage of length, but I'm with the posters who talked about the control of not cutting one's hair.

I like that I, and only I, will decide what to do with my hair. And compared to other control things I avoid since they are not healthy, this one is so positive. The tactile results of long hair will be so rewarding for me.

And the big control bonus is I'm not asking anyone else to make concessions to my new hobby (except to tolerate all my new LCH acronyms). :D

KarenLynn
July 30th, 2008, 03:48 PM
In a word, no. It's long because I prefer it long.

DMARTINEZ
July 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hmm, lets see. Im a born again Christian and think a woman should have long hair,
but as to how long Im not sure. Everyones interpretation of long is different. I guess I
would consider long to be at least shoulder length. I started out growing my hair
for spiritual reasons and now Ive become attached to it,I like it,and now that its silvery
I like it even more. I just dont know what else I would do with it other than grow it long.
I ve been the other route,ie,styled,cut,curling ironed and its a PAIN. Interesting thread
as long as it stays on track. ;)

Deb

Curlsgirl
July 31st, 2008, 08:40 AM
I am a Christian and Jesus lover :D but I am not growing my hair for that reason. I respect those who believe they should do that however. I am growing mine because I like how it makes me feel and I have always wanted to do it.

AlleyKitten
July 31st, 2008, 09:33 AM
No -- I am religious, but not in a particularly organized religion, and I don't know of any movements within it for long hair related to anything but aesthetics. I do find that it's easy to attach deeper meaning, including the spiritual, to my hair, though. When I did the "wear hair up for 30 days challenge", or when I was asked to cover my hair upon visiting mosques on a recent vacation, I really understood why many religions concern themselves with it -- it was very powerful.

Haith
July 31st, 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm not religious at all. My parents were very liberal with my spiritual education, so I know a little about every religion. However, the longer my hair gets, the more my attutute towards it and my environment changes so that I feel more... natural. It's really hard to describe, but I just feel more connected to everything now that I'm just letting myself be, well, me. So I suppose I am growing it for spiritual reasons.

OhioLisa
July 31st, 2008, 06:20 PM
Yes and no. I don't think it is a requirement. But, I do think women should be modest and feminine, which to me includes long hair.

dukkelisa
July 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
I sometimes muse over the fact anyone feels the need to cut any body hair. If it is meant to be there and grow...what have us the idea that it was intolerable and should be cut off?

sahiba
August 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Being a sikh I have never trimmed my hair, but growing long hair is my dream. Its now my obsession actually.

Xi
August 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Although I am religious, that is not my reason for keeping my hair long. Like AnimaSola3o4 and several other people, I love the feeling of connection to the past. Once, when I was combing my hair by the fire on a winter night, I thought: the image of a woman combing her long hair by the fire is a very ancient image, and now I am part of it. Not sure if that is spiritual or not! But it is not part of my organized religion per se.

This is a fascinating thread!

vampodrama
August 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I was raised a strict atheist so I don't know much about religions really, and I'm not religious now either. sorta pagan, rather, but not enough to call myself spiritual or anything.

I'm growing my hair out of pure curiosity - I've never had long hair in my entire life, but I have always been the one to wildly experiment with all sorts of colours and cuts and who knows what else. so now I'm in the middle of my wildest experiment - to grow my hair to terminal length XD

kate46
August 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
When I was in my teens my hair was long, I wore my comfy jeans and tops, then I jumped into the frumpy maternity wear :rolleyes: when I jumped out of that I had this idea that I needed to go for the latest fashions and also cut my hair short to match, hmmm I tried this for years and it never worked, my hair always looked rubbish and my fashion sense was a complete failure :(. Now I have come full circle, I'm back in my jeans and comfy tops and my hair is growing long once again, ahhhhhh the peace of being back to myself at last. Nothing religious here.

dor3girl
August 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I just love long hair...but there is a scripture in the bible somewhere that says something like, "if a woman has long hair it is a blessing"--forgive me for paraphrasing. I am Christian, but in my faith, long hair seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. There are only 4 adults (myself included) that have hair past BSL length in my congregation. We are all over 30 years old & one of the women is an older grandmother of teenagers. I am the youngest of the 4 women--not sure what that is about *shrug*.

LaurelSpring
August 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
It makes me feel secure and at peace, and while I do not make any distinct connection between my hair and Divinity, I do feel more spiritually in-tune with long hair.

(As a semi-side note, it is extremely difficult for me to picture the female side of the Divine with something besides long hair. I just have a really hard time doing it.)[/quote]

I agree with this. Although I didnt consciously start growing my hair for spiritual reasons. I do feel more spiritual with longer hair (sexy too but definately more Goddess/Angelic/Divine like)

It also represents a transformation in myself, a kind of journey, the person I am becomming as opposed to the person I have been.

Plus, short hair is really boring.

LaurelSpring
August 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
My hair is not long for religious reasons, but its length represents something spiritual for me. It's also a test in patience and compassion for me, and an exercise in loving myself and the body I was given.

As others have mentioned, my hair is also a connection to the past. I'm fairly traditional and love history--I feel more comfortable (in the mental sense, as opposed to the physical sense) in historical garb than your typical 21st century attire. Long hair a part of that, and is something I feel entitled to. It makes me feel secure and at peace, and while I do not make any distinct connection between my hair and Divinity, I do feel more spiritually in-tune with long hair.

(As a semi-side note, it is extremely difficult for me to picture the female side of the Divine with something besides long hair. I just have a really hard time doing it.)

I messed up the quote in my post above but it was from Angellen

Aqua Gal
August 8th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Great Question. No, my spiritual beliefs do not require long hair. I was not largely exposed to the spiritual aspect of long hair before LHC. I'm just a fan for aesthetic reasons.

UncommonTart
August 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Well and this is the part where I get confused...

I'm Jewish and I'm growing mine partly for spiritual reasons, I think the patience needed to care for and grow your hair long builds character, but the main reason is because I really like long hair and makes me feel feminine.

I'm really interested what the other Jewish ladies here think about the subject, is it a mitzvah to have long hair?
Or is it a topic not really discussed anywhere in the texts.(female long hair)

I've heard the comments that my long hair isn't tzeniut (modest)....it is too seductive.(I'm not married btw)

I second most of that. I'm Jewish by choice, and feel some spiritual pull to have long hair, but I've also just always loved it, and I have in fact had long most of my life, even before I converted.

I have always been a bit curious about the other point you raise, though. I have heard that it is a mitzvah for a woman to have long hair, but I've only heard it called immodest after marriage. Haircovering isn't required for unmarried women, right? So does it somehow become more seductive once you tie the knot? Is that the secret to gorgeous hair?

Oops, sorry for hijacking the thread...:o

cassie_g
August 8th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I've wanted to reply to this tread since it started but just didn't know how to word it. Here's to hoping it makes sense. :p

The short answer is kinda.

The long answer would be yes and no. Let's start with no, I originally started growing my hair out because I was sick of cutting it short and then hating it. And I really missed having the long hair of my childhood. So the day before graduation I cut off my bsl hair and hate it practically the minute it's finished and vow never to cut my hair again. Just over 4 years later I still haven't cut it and am loving how long it's getting.

And now for the yes part of the answer, I found that as I learned more about Amish people and other plain dressing folks (it's my strange passion) I came to some personal religious realizations and having long hair, for me, is just part of it.

tobikay
August 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM

I do not intend disrespect, nor do I want to hijack this thread on a religous debate. My sole desire here is to answer this question truthfully.

This quote is from 1 Corinthians, Chapter 11, verse 5 "...And every woman who prays or prophesies with no covering (of hair) on her head dishonors her head—she is just like one of the "shorn women." 6 If a woman has no covering, let her be for now with short hair, but since it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair shorn or shaved, she should grow it again..."

Shorn is a form of the word "shear" which means "to cut". So, to me this verse says not that a woman's hair should be long, but UNCUT. So, I guess that means terminal.

You may now return to your normal posting. Thank you.
tobi

winter_star
August 9th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I bow to beauty,
freedom to be myself,
sensuous pleasure,
a tie to history,

I couldn't have sumed it up better myself!:cheese:

ClareDee
August 9th, 2008, 05:22 AM
No religious reasons here... I just have a weakness for long hair.

I'm another one who tried to fight it too. Shorter hair is often depicted as sharper/cooler/more fashionable etc... and I succumbed to having my hair chopped off a few times, simply because it was the done thing.
Of course short hair has its perks, but whenever I saw a pretty woman with short hair, I couldn't help thinking "She's beautiful.... but she'd be even more beautiful with long hair!". That thought always crept into my mind.

Aside from the love of long hair, I also want to grow it so I can invest less time in 'styling'. In general I found my short bob hairstyle harder to maintain than longer hair. I always had that problem where the hair on one side curled in, and the hair on the other side flipped outwards. Meh! To avoid it, I'd have to pull it downwards with a comb while blowdrying... and try to avoid putting it behind my ears during the day (lest the flips recur). Annoying.

On top of that, you have to rely heavily on your hairdresser to reshape your bob every 2 months, and hand over 45 euro for the pleasure. It's bloomin costly. It's also hard when you're a shy oddball like I am... going to salons and having to chit-chat.

SO... I want it long and healthy. No heat styling. No reliance on anyone to maintain it. And this time I will resist all makeover advice from short-hairees!

Kati75
August 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
No religious reasons here, either - I just want my hair long for now.

To answer this thread truthfully - and not to hurt any feelings, everyone is free to disagree with me on this - I must also say that I can't imagine that God thinks it's important how anyone wears their hair. Yes, the bible says something about long hair but it was written ages ago for the people who lived ages ago. Translated a zillion times. In my heart, I think other things are much more important and that vanity is not a good thing. I don't feel the need for a "coverage" - I'm ok the way I was made and if someone (a man other than my husband) thinks he needs to stare at me I have the right words for him and I'm not afraid to say them. But I'm not even sure at the moment whether I really believe in God the way Christians are supposed to. I do know, though, that if God thinks that it's important how someone wears their hair, or feels worshipped by something superficial like a hairstyle, then I don't want to have anything to do with him. This may sound a little extreme, but it's how I feel deep down inside.

But I totally accept it if someone wants to have long hair for religious reasons. Everyone worships differently and has a different relationship to God. I'm sure everyone here has thought over what they are doing and have perfectly good reasons. If this helps you to be close to God, that's wonderful. It's just not for me.

Elenna
August 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I've had long hair before, but didn't make the spiritual/nature connection.

But now I have a garden and when I am in the garden, my hair seems to be part of nature. It all seems to connect on a spiritual level.

Gothic Lolita
August 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm by no means religious. I've never been spiritual either. I don't call myself narrow-minded but I somehow always had problems (even when I still was a child) with imagining that God, Allah whatever you want to call it exists.
So for me the answer is no. I grow it out, because I always loved the look of long hair. It feels feminine, I like my color very much and since I see so many abused looking heads around here, this is my personal way to show everyone that one can have healthy hair.

PS: I accept every religion, as long as it accepts everybody else who doen't believe in it as an equal.

sipnsun
August 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Long hair is not a requirement of my church or religion (Southern Baptist), so I guess I'm growing it for me.

rubyann
August 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM

Just so for me, too! I'm not growing for religious reasons, purely personal. I've never had long hair, so here I go!

insideitall
August 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Main reason = yes.

I feel that women should have longer hair than men. What "long" means is of course dependent on the time period and culture, but it should be clearly obvious whether someone is a man or a woman based on hair length. For me, this is Biblically based, though as a Catholic, there are no requirements for hair length.

I feel very strongly about this, as I am just so *upset* with what the *radical*women's-lib agenda has done to our society. In a way, I suppose it could be considered a "control" thing; even though other people might not know, I know that my hair is long because I believe in traditional values.

I also really like that idea of being connected to women of the past - I forget who posted it, but the image of the woman brushing her hair by the fire - it's a neat feeling to kinda superimpose yourself over someone who lived a few hundred years ago. History became much more fun for me once I started reading books that portrayed all the "dead white men" from high school into REAL PEOPLE. Too bad I didn't figure this out until after college :p I always wondered why we didn't learn more local history in school.. like.. this building is named after this person, who blah blah blah..

And lastly, these are my other reasons: I'm too lazy to stop growing it because I can't decide where I want it at (I figure I'll get to a point and be like ok that's long enough); I am kinda tempted to see how long terminal is for me, and I secretly hope it's shorter than the length at which it starts being a PItA to have; it's easier to take care of than when it was shorter; long hair looks better on me than short hair; sometimes I live in the past, you know like with dragons and knights and everything :rolleyes: and long hair is a requirement for that :agree:; and already mentions but bears repeating, laziness.

sedonia
August 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I guess I am one of the disgusting women's lib femnazis that is ruining our society.

I think it is great that women can choose long or short hair today, choose a career or not, vote, inherit, marry who she wants, and get pay that is at least approaching that of a man when she does the same job. I think it is great that a little girl today can not only become a nurse but a doctor if she wants, not only a school teacher but a college professor, not only a secretary but a lawyer or corporate manager.

If we go back to even the most recent times when all or most women had long hair, none of those things were generally possible, at least not for the common middle class woman.

brightonwoman
August 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
You know, I can respect that some women prefer short hair--just as I prefer long. I can appreciate how (in a historical context) wearing pants and cutting our hair were outward symbols of breaking down gender roles, entering the workplace, getting the vote, etc etc etc. I would consider myself a feminist in that I feel that women should have equal rights, be able to earn an equal wage, have equal access to education, etc... on the other hand, I think that the *ideal* is for a woman to be able to stay home and raise children and be supported by her husband. I'm blessed to have a husband who feels the same way, so it works well for us. (But if something happened to him, hey, I have a BA and am very employable and I *could* support myself and my kids....) ANYWAY, that was a total tangent, but the point being that I appreciate why some women want short hair, even though I personally don't care for it.

That said, I do NOT get why anyone would want a haircut/hairstyle that is totally androgynous. This has happened a few times, and i hate it when I see someone--even am introduced to them--and cannot tell if they are male or female. I won't even go into some people choosing sex changes or whatever...my point being, whichever sex you are, just BE THAT in a way that others can tell what you are, you know?
OK, sorry, little rant there. But it makes me crazy. Short hair = fine, but at least be true to your sex, you know?

In terms of a pp's comment about feeling that God would not require a certain hair length etc...I am inclined to agree--God will love you regardless of your hair, after all extenuating circumstances happen and that kind of thing. That said, I can also see validity in the argument of "God asks me to do this to demonstrate my commitment to Him" or "this is an outward symbol of my inner commitment" or that kind of thing. I am wholly on board with that as well.

bunnii
August 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I grow my hair because I like long hair and my mother never let me have it long, so ner ner mum! :p Also as a Wiccan it does make me feel more connected to nature because hair is natural and it keeps growing. :)

brightonwoman - Androgyny is way sexy IMO and short hair on women can be just as sexy as long and the same for men :D

ClareDee
August 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
bunnii -- I agree that short hair on a woman can be very attractive. Sinead O' Connor is one woman who famously had extremely short hair, and is very beautiful.
Having seen pictures of her with longer hair, I can honestly say I thought she looked evern more beautiful with a shaved head. And maybe it's because she has such big eyes, but she certainly looks like a woman to me. I challenge anyone to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO8JWbG6bVw) video of her singing, and say she's not beautiful :)

Each to their own, of course.

insideitall
August 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
sedonia, you seem to have misunderstood me a bit.

I said the agenda disgusted me. Specifically the radical one, hence the *choice word* I used (which I'll admit was untactful). Nowhere did I say that I thought women should not be able to have jobs, or vote, or inherit (etc). Nowhere did I say women had to have hair of a certain length - in fact, I said that "long" can mean different things! For example, women in the 50's had hair roughly shoulder length; my point was that they looked different than men, and compared to men's hair, theirs was considerably longer.

::shrugs:: (and no, I wasn't brainwashed or anything.. learned some interesting tidbits about all the things I wasn't learning while in college, talked to people, read lots of stuff, and decided certain ideas were not what I wanted to be associated with)

again, I didn't mean to personally attack you or anyone else, and I'm sorry you interpreted it as such.

bunnii
August 25th, 2008, 03:05 AM
ClareDee - Yes she was and probably still is a beautiful woman, I remember when she made a comeback and had quite long hair and it just didn't suit her :shrug:

KiwiLiz
August 25th, 2008, 03:42 AM
bunnii -- I agree that short hair on a woman can be very attractive. Sinead O' Connor is one woman who famously had extremely short hair, and is very beautiful.
Having seen pictures of her with longer hair, I can honestly say I thought she looked evern more beautiful with a shaved head. And maybe it's because she has such big eyes, but she certainly looks like a woman to me. I challenge anyone to watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO8JWbG6bVw) video of her singing, and say she's not beautiful :)

She does look beautiful, she has a beautiful shaped head, it would be a shame to cover it up!

I don't have long hair for traditional religious reasons, no. If the religion I grew up in required me to have long hair I think I would have cut it off in spite of it :P

I have long hair for me, I sort of feel like it's celebration of me. So I guess its sort of spiritual in way, but not really, I think.

trolleypup
August 25th, 2008, 01:20 PM
*mod hat on*
Please keep it cool and consider carefully your use of inciteful/hurtful/harsh words.

Thanks.
*mod hat off*

Curly Carl
August 25th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Your question is very interesting and the answers are even more fascinating.
Wel...I think our hair is a gift from god like our life is. And like in our life we should do everything possible we can do with our hait, because we have only this hair in this life :cool:

Eirinn
September 23rd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hmm hair as an object of idolatry.... interesting

I'm a Christian myself and I wanted to ask those of you who belongs to Apostolic church why this long hair is required?

ChloeDharma
September 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
I was so enjoying this thread, i should start by saying that i feel hair length, gender presentation, and "sex changes" are all very personal and not really something to be imposed or judged....and in the case of sex changes very VERY complicated and if not understood then best either kept quiet about or respectfully inquired about.

Ok, as for spiritual reasons.....for me, yes definately. I really relate to the posters who said they felt it connected them to women of the past. I'm actually so glad to hear other people say this because it's something i've been giving alot of thought to recently.
I always realised that my desire for long hair came from a connection to the feminine spirit, but the extent that it made me feel connected to women of the past is a fairly new revelation for me...linked in with a belief in reincarnation that i wont go too into now.
The poster who mentioned combing hair out by the fire really struck a cord with me and scalp massage and brushing/combing i see in a similar way. The spiritual connection to growing my hair long goes further than just growing it for me, it's also my reason for wanting to use only natural products, preferably those i can make myself. Ideally i'd take this to the level of growing all the ingredients too but that's just unrealistic for me right now.
I feel that by using methods used by women ancesters (i don't just mean women i'm genetically linked to, but all women who have lived before) it somehow as i say connects me to them and their spirit but also honours them and the wisdom they passed on.
I do also feel that hair contains spiritual energy, almost like a reserve, and ideally i would like it to be untrimmed....unfortunately that hasn't worked out for me and i have had to go back to trimming, but i intend to now use lunar trimming as a method which to me creates a reverance which is in keeping with my spiritual expression, then hopefully in the future i can try going uncut again.

kunibob
September 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
I suppose my hair growth is for spiritual reasons, because it was something I was inspired to do when a beautiful young woman passed away recently. She had always seemed like a goddess to me with her vivacious spirit, great beauty and her long, healthy hair, and I felt that this was a way to keep alive a spark that had touched my life. This is my way of mourning her and celebrating her all at once.

If I ever do decide to cut my hair after growing it long -- probably many, many years down the road -- I will donate my length to a needy soul to pay forward the kind essence of her spirit.

While my religion does not encourage or dissuade long hair, I can understand where some religions are coming from on this, because hair growth does feel like a spiritual experience. I have friends who do not cut their hair or beards for religious reasons, and I had always wondered how that equated, but I think I understand now. :)

MadHatter
September 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
My hair isn't long for religious reasons. I don't allow for any religious teachings to govern what I do (obviously, since I don't belong to any religions, lol). I'm the ultimate authority on my actions, I answer only to myself, and I aim to please only myself.
I've always thought long hair was beautiful. I always wanted mine long, but didn't even make it to waist until very recently (though I cut back to even my hemline out). Now, just why I think it's so beautiful isn't exactly clear. I'm trying to open my mind to ideas of 'spirituality', so maybe there is some spiritual aspect to it.

Samikha
September 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I suppose my hair growth is for spiritual reasons, because it was something I was inspired to do when a beautiful young woman passed away recently. She had always seemed like a goddess to me with her vivacious spirit, great beauty and her long, healthy hair, and I felt that this was a way to keep alive a spark that had touched my life. This is my way of mourning her and celebrating her all at once.

If I ever do decide to cut my hair after growing it long -- probably many, many years down the road -- I will donate my length to a needy soul to pay forward the kind essence of her spirit.

That is really beautiful, kunibob. If there is an afterlife, I think your friend is proud. It has occurred to me of late that if I ever encounter a great grief - like losing one of my parents, or another family member, or something like that - I'd probably chop my hair, because it feels right to me. I could keep track of the length and the time of passing in the same way. A mark and reminder of loss and change. It would be very symbolic, and I think it would be appropriate to me as a visual person to have a visual display of grief. But I like your way too!

truepeacenik
September 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Main reason = yes.

I feel that women should have longer hair than men. What "long" means is of course dependent on the time period and culture, but it should be clearly obvious whether someone is a man or a woman based on hair length. For me, this is Biblically based, though as a Catholic, there are no requirements for hair length.

I feel very strongly about this, as I am just so *upset* with what the *radical*women's-lib agenda has done to our society. In a way, I suppose it could be considered a "control" thing; even though other people might not know, I know that my hair is long because I believe in traditional values.

Radical women's lib? sister, women speaking truth to power have to speak LOUDLY to be heard over the patronaization.
and what have we "done to our society?"
allowed women the vote, to enroll in any college, join the military, fire department, police department, professorial ranks, brought the disparity of income for a middle class man and woman closer together (but in the community I cover it is still a $20K a year difference), allowed women to give witness in court, charge husbands with rape and abuse, get custody of children...
yeah, we are just screwing up lives left and right.
Now I'm disgusted.
It has NOTHING to do with hair length at all.
My hair is long because I'm a contrary radical myself.
and since I love men with long hair, I guess I'm still OK with being the longer haired one.

Paliele
September 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
I am not growing my hair out for religious reasons, but I have noticed that in my religion BSL length hair is the norm; short hair is not frowned upon, but not encouraged; and the few RL longhairs I've seen have all been at church.

Kirin
September 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
No, I am not growing my hair for spiritual or faith reasons. To me it is a vain persuit perhaps, to be more sensual, and feel more feminine and beautiful.

berr
September 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Nope, not religious. My mother always made me keep my hair short (boy short) as a child. Razor cuts ever 6 weeks. I was as skinny as an anemic toothpick and I was mistaken for a boy one too many times, I think. I'm over 50 and STILL rebellious. Long may I have rebellion in my psyche, please.

ETA: I feel like Samson!! The longer my hair gets the stronger I feel!

Lady Verity
September 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I am intensely spiritual, but I don't grow my hair for specific spiritual reasons. I see the body as a shell that we drop when we're ready, so, for me, what it looks like isn't necessarily vital to spiritual development. However, long hair is a source of self esteem for me, which I interpret as a gift from God because of all the years I've spent hating myself and how I look. It's taken me a long time to get to a happy place, so enjoying it is an act of thanks. Plus, if I'm not crippled with doubt over how my shell looks, it's easier for me to carry out my mission in the material world. :)

My piercings are very much for the same reason.

Alethia
September 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I am a complete Dawk, so no, my long hair is not for religious or spiritual reasons. Mine is long because I like it and because I am too lazy to attend a hairdresser regularly, or blow dry it, flat iron it, keep touching up my roots etc. Long hair is easy to care for and quick to put up - much easier than most to maintain.

ETA - I second that TruePeacenik

Anje
September 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Interesting thread.

I'm a protestant Christian (grew up evangelical, rebelled and became Episcopalian), but my long hair really has nothing to do with spirituality. I agree with the passage that says that long hair is a glory to a woman, but I take it at face value -- the Bible says long hair on a woman is pretty.

I'm growing mine long because I feel like it. Nothing more or less.

kunibob
September 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
That is really beautiful, kunibob. If there is an afterlife, I think your friend is proud. It has occurred to me of late that if I ever encounter a great grief - like losing one of my parents, or another family member, or something like that - I'd probably chop my hair, because it feels right to me. I could keep track of the length and the time of passing in the same way. A mark and reminder of loss and change. It would be very symbolic, and I think it would be appropriate to me as a visual person to have a visual display of grief. But I like your way too!

Thank you, Samikha. :)

Addy
September 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm not growing for religious/spiritual reasons.

I'm growing it long because I like it! :)

mrs carol
September 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I have long hair for religious reasons, the Bible says a woman's long hair is her glory, so that is why I feel I should have long hair.

Jeni
September 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Nope, no religious reason for growing my hair long. I was raised Catholic but would definitely not classify myself as Christian anymore. I wouldn't call myself spiritual either.

I am growing my hair long because (a) I have a round face and short hair makes it look like I have a bowling ball head. (b) I'm LAZY and have a major issue paying someone to trim my hair every month. (c) I like being different, standing out from all the other girls. (d) Long hair makes me feel s*xy! I'm not conventionally pretty, I'm not thin, I'm not popular, but d*ammit, my hair can be gorgeous!

So yea, long hair is purely about vanity for me.

Elenna
September 25th, 2008, 03:13 AM
My hair isn't long for religious reasons, but I feel more connected to nature and the infinite with long hair. For some reason long hair makes me feel mystical.

Eirinn
September 25th, 2008, 03:31 AM
sedonia, you seem to have misunderstood me a bit.

I said the agenda disgusted me. Specifically the radical one, hence the *choice word* I used (which I'll admit was untactful). Nowhere did I say that I thought women should not be able to have jobs, or vote, or inherit (etc). Nowhere did I say women had to have hair of a certain length - in fact, I said that "long" can mean different things! For example, women in the 50's had hair roughly shoulder length; my point was that they looked different than men, and compared to men's hair, theirs was considerably longer.

::shrugs:: (and no, I wasn't brainwashed or anything.. learned some interesting tidbits about all the things I wasn't learning while in college, talked to people, read lots of stuff, and decided certain ideas were not what I wanted to be associated with)

again, I didn't mean to personally attack you or anyone else, and I'm sorry you interpreted it as such.

I understand what you mean and I second that - rights for vote, work and such are essential but i'ts not the feminism. Real feminism wants woman to be *as good man as a man*, change roles which is ruining to society. I think what you said wasn't *disgusting*, it was kind of truth that many of women nowadays don't want to admitt:flower:

Tapioca
September 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I am a Christian, but I've never felt any pressure to have long hair because of it, and in fact, my hair was uber-short as a child. (Dorothy Hamill's wedge.) I wear it long because I want to.

LibbyO
September 27th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I wear my hair long because it makes me feel more feminine and in touch with nature. I'm Christian, and I do appreciate the verses in the Bible that praise long hair and femininity. But there is certainly no commandment to have long hair or anything. I started to grow my hair long before I ever heard of any religious reason to do so.

Speckla
September 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Not religious reasons. I am growing my hair out because I believe it's a shame not to share my curls with the world. ;)
________
VFR800 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VFR800)

egryphon
September 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
No I am not growing my hair out for religious reasons. I do believe that hair is a woman's crowning glory.

MadHatter
September 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Real feminism wants woman to be *as good man as a man*, change roles which is ruining to society. I think what you said wasn't *disgusting*, it was kind of truth that many of women nowadays don't want to admitt:flower:

Huh? What do you mean 'change roles'? Can you clarify? Feminism is about making sure women don't get screwed out of opportunities and rights that should be theirs to begin with. And it is not true that feminism is ruining society.

Eirinn
September 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Huh? What do you mean 'change roles'? Can you clarify? Feminism is about making sure women don't get screwed out of opportunities and rights that should be theirs to begin with. And it is not true that feminism is ruining society.

'Change roles' means women trying to prove that they are able to do typically men's jobs and wanting to take control over men who should be meek. This is feminism. It isn't about 'rights for women'. Oh why do each sex wants to have control over the other?:rolleyes: Or there are women who constantly look for signs of discrimination towards them. I've never noticed being screwed out of anything! And I don't have to feel more manly for purpose of feeling more worthful. Sadly, women thaught themselves how to manipulate the men and it's nothing better then men who restict women. It's all about the upper hand...

Robbi Dehlinger
September 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Nothing like a religious "bent" on a thread to bring out everybody? LOL

Cannot think of any political reasons (Maybe in the 1960's?) but that could be interesting too?

I am a Christian and am also transgenered, which makes for ALL kinds of "interesting" conflicts?

I feel more femme with longer hair and I love the feel of it also. I am not convinced that the Bible has any hard and fast rules on hair, but IMHO a woman or a man certainly look better with it long, especially if well groomed:)

Delila
September 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM
...Oh why do each sex wants to have control over the other? ...

Honestly, I don't understand your rather obsessive focus on this issue of controlling others?

Is this something you've learned elsewhere and have paraphrased here for us?

If not, I'd say this is more a personal issue for you, than anything else.

Human relationships are not always about control and manipulation, at least not when they're healthy ones.

And for what it's worth, I'm not entirely certain that this thread is the most appropriate place for further clarification of your views.

Eirinn
September 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Honestly, I don't understand your rather obsessive focus on this issue of controlling others?

Is this something you've learned elsewhere and have paraphrased here for us?

If not, I'd say this is more a personal issue for you, than anything else.

Human relationships are not always about control and manipulation, at least not when they're healthy ones.

And for what it's worth, I'm not entirely certain that this thread is the most appropriate place for further clarification of your views.

Honestly, I'd suggest you leaving such a decisions to mods. I was asked for some clarification of my opinion and so I did. If you have any problem with what I said you can always PM me. I don't understand your attack on me.

Eboshi
September 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Honestly, I'd suggest you leaving such a decisions to mods. I was asked for some clarification of my opinion and so I did. If you have any problem with what I said you can always PM me. I don't understand your attack on me.
I'll have to agree with Delila here. A quick scan of your posts shows quite a few "issues" with male vs. female roles. This thread is not the most appropriate place to expound on them.

*there is nothing to see here, everybody just move along*

Eirinn
September 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'll have to agree with Delila here. A quick scan of your posts shows quite a few "issues" with male vs. female roles. This thread is not the most appropriate place to expound on them.

*there is nothing to see here, everybody just move along*

Well, I guess that it's just hard to explain some things via internet as I'd like it to but I didn't intended to conutinue this issue here any more. I also wanted to point out that it wasn't me who started whole this feminism thing so I thought that I'm too allowed to say what I think. It wasn't also AGAINST anyone.

fleurdelis
September 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
No. I am Catholic trying to follow (not too succesfully) rules of the church, but I do not consider that God cares extremely if I have short or long hair. If it makes Him glad, well...the better. But if I would hate long hair and look like an idiot with it, I would not grow it.

Eryka
September 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
The ultra quick answer would be no, as I don't follow or adhere to any religion.

As a Demonologist however, I do feel more connected and more primal with my long hair. In ancient times long hair was a sign of power, mastery of war, knowledge, spiritual abilities, ect. It gave distinction in an otherwise mundane crowd. Personally, I still believe that holds true today. It taps into an older part of the human conscious.

From a stylistic point of view, pure rebellion and blissful vanity are my only motivating factors.

Auntbeast
September 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
no, but i have cut my hair at times for ritual/ spiritual religions. i've heard certain cultures believe memories are stored in one's hair, and i've noticed at times of great transition, cutting my hair has been part of the passage. as if i want to rid myself of old memories and start fresh.

I found this interesting. I went through a very rough time right after my daughter was born and cut my hair off to chin length. Everyone thought it was because of my daughter, but actually, it was mostly predicated by "I've had enough, I can't change everything, but I can change this." and as things have stabilized, my hair has grown. Interestingly also, recently my husband lost his job and I went and got a haircut. I had the split ends removed but kept most of the length.

Maybe, although I am not religious at all, psychologically, I believe the same thing.

Neysa
September 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I can't say "yes" but no isn't exactly correct either. Pagan women have been portrayed as long haired women, and I'm unsure of the basis of that portrayal, to be honest. However, I know I look daft with short hair, and long hair to me is very Renaissance, and very pagan, and shows that a woman (or man too!) with long hair takes a level of pride in their personal portrayal to the world, and pays particular attention to their health. It's very rare that you see an unhealthy person with hair down to their backside. These are just the mad observations of a silly blonde, with long hair. ;-)

thunderlilies
October 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm going to say yes - partly. Partly because of what God wants, partly because my husband loves it long, and partly because I do too! Lol! :D

Brianna
October 1st, 2008, 09:27 AM
No religious reasons for me, partly because I'm not religious. :) I just love long hair.

Tami86
October 1st, 2008, 09:38 AM
Religious? Nope .. Cultrual? Yes definitely..

My Religion (Islam) teaches us not to have hair that resembles that of a man. So not short, over the shoulders. However the rest is fine.

Women in the UAE have always had long braided hair. So long hair became a part of our culture, and a girl with long hair is considered more feminine and beautiful especially on her wedding day with tailbone length hair or even longer! Our mothers always made sure we don't cut/dye/use chemicals on our hair, but during teenage years you rebel and decide that you want to look like a certain celebrity. After years of playing with my hair and using all sorts of chemicals and products I decided I want to go back to having lovely long hair.

My decision was mainly based on the fact that I miss my long hair and the way it looked on me, and the fact that it is part of our culture. ^_^

nisolu
October 1st, 2008, 09:41 AM
I can't say "yes" but no isn't exactly correct either. Pagan women have been portrayed as long haired women, and I'm unsure of the basis of that portrayal, to be honest. However, I know I look daft with short hair, and long hair to me is very Renaissance, and very pagan, and shows that a woman (or man too!) with long hair takes a level of pride in their personal portrayal to the world, and pays particular attention to their health. It's very rare that you see an unhealthy person with hair down to their backside. These are just the mad observations of a silly blonde, with long hair. ;-)

I agree. I am religious, but my faith doesn't "require" long hair. Although, my hair is a part of my spirituallity.

Forever_Sophie
October 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM
I hope I'm not replying twice in here! I think this is the 1st time I'm seeing this poll.

Anyway, I'm very Christian, raised in a Pentecostal church where many women have short hair...My hair isn't long *because* of my beliefs. I really don't get the generalization that all Pentecostal churches are the same in this.

Isblå
October 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
When I saw this thread the reflex thought was no, but as I read all the answers I see that my reasons might not be only the pure vanity and enjoyment of long hair that I thought it was. Especially when I read this, although I don't know what Demonology is.

The ultra quick answer would be no, as I don't follow or adhere to any religion.

As a Demonologist however, I do feel more connected and more primal with my long hair. In ancient times long hair was a sign of power, mastery of war, knowledge, spiritual abilities, ect. It gave distinction in an otherwise mundane crowd. Personally, I still believe that holds true today. It taps into an older part of the human conscious.

From a stylistic point of view, pure rebellion and blissful vanity are my only motivating factors.

I realised that I feel more powerful when my hair is long, and more at home in my self. My decision to grow my hair long after some years with ~shoulder length snuck up on me without me knowing it and I only thought about why afterwards. Interesting. Maybe I should read up on my Freud...(anyone know whether he says anything about hair)

krash1980
October 1st, 2008, 11:57 PM
No, I am a deist. I jumped off the religion bandwagon a long time ago.

FrannyG
October 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
I am not growing my hair for religious reasons at all. And yet, there is a positive spiritual component to growing my hair that I can't seem to articulate. I hope that some day, I am able to articulate it.

Sarahmoon
October 3rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
Nope, it's purely because I like it :-)

Eryka
October 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
When I saw this thread the reflex thought was no, but as I read all the answers I see that my reasons might not be only the pure vanity and enjoyment of long hair that I thought it was. Especially when I read this, although I don't know what Demonology is.

I realised that I feel more powerful when my hair is long, and more at home in my self. My decision to grow my hair long after some years with ~shoulder length snuck up on me without me knowing it and I only thought about why afterwards. Interesting. Maybe I should read up on my Freud...(anyone know whether he says anything about hair)

Knowing dear old Freud, he'd probably assume its due to rebellion against your mother. :rolleyes:

While I can only speak from a personal point of view, Demonology is a more eclectic route of the LHP (Left Hand Path). Many ask me if I am a Satanist, which I am not. Personally, I think Satanists in the modern world are sniveling idiots who will use anything to excuse themselves from the real challenge of life and self discovery. There are some exceptions to that rule but in my experience, they are few and far between.

A demonologist can choose to work with a pantheon of entities. Some being: Greek, Byzantine, Egyptian, Hebraic, ect. Others prefer to be more eclectic and "mix and match", if you will. I am of that second grouping. However a good share of my favorites come from Mesopotamia and Byzantium.Yet I also mix some good ol' fashioned Santeria in there. (My grandmother is from New Orleans.) From time to time I've also thrown in some Asatru (Viking/Nordic mysticism) since I live in Denmark now and have quite a bit of inspiration around.

In the dark roads of spiritual practices, Demonology is probably one of the most shaded. There's no set doctrine or deity. The people who practice it have generally been in the spiritual community for some time and have become disenchanted with the "pre-packed" spirituality. They've kind of just wandered on their own until they find enough things that work for them and just stick to it.

Again, bear in mind this all my personal take on things and should not be taken for doctrine. The only reason I call myself a Demonologist is because it is what's closest to describe what I do. If I really wanted to break it down I'd said I was a Primally Eclectic Demonologist. That just meaning my main systems that I work with go back to the primal times of humanity (Byzantine, Mesopotamian, ect.) when magick was a force to be reckoned with and the world was a bigger, more fabulous place. The eclectic bit just meaning I'm not set in any one vein of the entities I choose t work with. Consider it the buffet counter as opposed to the menu. The demonologist part is kind of self explanatory, albiet broad. It kind of depends on what you personally consider a demon.

So yeah, in a nut shell. Again, just my personal take on things.

(Forgive my rambling but I've been sick with a sore thorat for a week now and haven't had a proper conversation in some time.)

Nightshade
October 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Just your garden variety dirt-worshipping tree-hugging granola-munching crystal-gripping pagan here ;)

I don't have my hair long because anything dictates it, but I do think that long hair is a powerful, ancient feminine symbol.

From Joan of Arc and her shorn locks, to Medusa and her hissing tresses, to Lady Godiva whose hair was her only raiment; from Rapunzel and her golden rope to the Gift of the Maji; the ebony hair of a geisha so painfully styled, the witch casting a spell to a pious nun in prayer.

There is such a history of story, and allusion to the women of the world with long hair, and I am, frankly, proud to carry on that lineage.

Robbi Dehlinger
October 5th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I just know that I love it the longer it gets and the feel of it is WONDERFUL!

maliha
October 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Not growing my hair for relegious reason but yes i agree what tami86 said,,,

As a Muslim i understand why long hairs is for women... :) In our culture hair is considered beauty of a women,,,resembling completely opposite as what man have i.e. short hairs..
Everything in this world is created in harmony of each other so women has different code of attraction than men,,hence long hair of a lady means she has PATIENCE to grow it long enough, DEDICATION to maintain its beauty, LOVE to understand its worth and THANKFULNESS & DIGNITY for what she is preserving...

Isblå
October 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Thank you for you trying to explain things to me Eryka. I always apprechiate a chance to learn something new. I wish you a rapid healing from the soar throat, poor thing, I hate having a sore throat, I get super frustrated as well since I love talking too, take care of yourself

patissegrietje
October 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM
No religious/spiritual reasons here, I just love really long hair!

Rosepatrice
October 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Well, I should say it is for religious reasons because I feel it has been like a covering, if you will.

I would feel naked without it because I've worn it long all my life for the most part. Except for a brief short hair stage.

Nanni
October 6th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Long hair is just the most beautiful hairstyle there is. I'm growing it long just for my own pleasure.

Eryka
October 6th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Thank you for you trying to explain things to me Eryka. I always apprechiate a chance to learn something new. I wish you a rapid healing from the soar throat, poor thing, I hate having a sore throat, I get super frustrated as well since I love talking too, take care of yourself

No problem. Thanks for the well wishes. I got some medicine that is finally kicking some butt. Hopefully by the middle of this week things should be back to normal.

On the bright side, I lost about 2kg (5 pounds) due to my sore throat. That is something positive. Not my favorite method of dieting however.

On a side note, are you from Scandinavia, Isblå? I couldn't help notice the name. :)

Isblå
October 6th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Yes, you're right, Scandinavian . I'm Norwegian actually.

Eryka
October 6th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Sk&#248;nt! Hvordan g&#229;r det i Norge?

Rosepatrice
October 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Yes, you're right, Scandinavian . I'm Norwegian actually.

HEY!!! ME, too!!:cheese::)

Arctic_Mama
October 7th, 2008, 03:07 AM
My hair is long for religious reasons, among others. We're non-denominational Fundamentalist Christians (I'm noticing a lot of Pentecostal gals on here :)) and I do feel called, personally, to keep my hair longer. My husband also much prefers it long and I do too - it suits my personality and I love the longer styles and updos. I am a bit vain on this, I'll admit, but I love people admiring my hair :o

Alun
October 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
A loyal follower of the Reverend Erik and his Hair Religion:

http://members.tripod.com/hairreligion/

RocketDog
October 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
(first post, btw)

I am not a religious person. Not atheist, more of an agnostic. I don't have that burning belief in anything, but I don't NOT believe.

I had mid-back-length hair when I was a teen, but after an accident I had to cut it chin-length, and decided to start experimenting with crazy styles, synthetic extensions and dyes. I decided in 2007 that I wanted to go back to my natural texture and color, and it has been a long, expensive process, since I am doing it in a way that is less harmful to my hair.

I guess my actions could be seen as a rebellion against the societal norm. I am not tied to a stylist who is telling me what is or isn't 'pretty' any more. I am taking responsibility for myself, instead of blindly following what everyone else says I should do.

That said, ever since my youth, my idea of a classic feminine beauty involves long, flowing natural hair. It is supremely feminine, and so EARTHY and sensual. I am not a great beauty, but I can still be proud of my hair, which grows longer and more glorious every month.

Eryka
October 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM
(first post, btw)

I am not a religious person. Not atheist, more of an agnostic. I don't have that burning belief in anything, but I don't NOT believe.

I had mid-back-length hair when I was a teen, but after an accident I had to cut it chin-length, and decided to start experimenting with crazy styles, synthetic extensions and dyes. I decided in 2007 that I wanted to go back to my natural texture and color, and it has been a long, expensive process, since I am doing it in a way that is less harmful to my hair.

I guess my actions could be seen as a rebellion against the societal norm. I am not tied to a stylist who is telling me what is or isn't 'pretty' any more. I am taking responsibility for myself, instead of blindly following what everyone else says I should do.

That said, ever since my youth, my idea of a classic feminine beauty involves long, flowing natural hair. It is supremely feminine, and so EARTHY and sensual. I am not a great beauty, but I can still be proud of my hair, which grows longer and more glorious every month.

VERY well put. An awesome first post. Welcome!

Sammybunny711
October 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Yes and no. I love the verse in 1 Corinthians II where it says if a woman has long hair, it is her glory. I think that that probably means that God is pleased with long hair on women. However, I do not think that it is required in order to be a godly woman of faith. However, I do want to please God and I also have this deep rooted desire and longing for long hair! I can't wait to let my long hair fall about my waist! Hopefully this will happen before I get married on May 15, 2010! My hair grows VERY fast due to genes, vitamins, good care. :o)

Barca
October 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM
My hair isn't so long yet, but I'm growing it and decided to stop dying it. My virgin hair is very dark almost black and glossy (healthy, baby! lol) I'm half Mexican, and I like the idea of having traditionally long black hair. My hair isn't straight, but the same texture/feel as my family members who are fully Mexican and mostly Native- just curly( if that makes any sense). Besides the beauty of it, growing my hair would make me feel closer to my roots- especially preColumbian Native American.

MandaMom2Three
October 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yes and no for me :D. I am a Christian and the Bible says that God gave women long hair as a glorious covering, but IMO long can mean different things to different folks so I'm not going to get my knickers in a knot over someone elses hair :rolleyes: that's their OWN business! I would consider my hair long now, so I'm not growing it longer for religious reasons, I just LOVE long hair!!! I've always wanted to have REALLY long hair since I was a little kid (and no religious reasons there either, I grew up agnostic) but I had NO patience, I got tired of waiting and cut it all off :(. I HAD it down to my waist but a few months ago I did go in for a trim, just to get rid of split ends and they ended up whacking it off at the shoulders :(:(!!! It's back to halfway down my back and I tell you anyone who even comes NEAR me with a pair of scissors is going to be in trouble ;). My mom asks me when I plan on cutting it again, I tell her I'll cut it when I start tripping on it LOL.

Amanda

origane
October 17th, 2008, 05:23 AM
This is a beautiful thread!
ISorry there are no pics of my hair on here showing but I can't access my profile.

To grow my hair longer than shoulder lengh has taken me years; as a kid, I was pushed to always cut my hair quite short, particularly from adults who would say "short hair suits you much better!" and a certain sadness in me as I obbeyed, not knowing I could actually rebel against that voice and do my own thing.

I always dreamed long hair, because as others described, goddesses and ancient representations of women; but also, within me, there is a strong push to have long hair because long hair is like a power; long hair is for me like allowing myself to be powerful, and it took me so long to be able to accept that and go through the growing which took so so long...

To have long hair is to be allowed to me closer to my real self; I do also have a strong "******" with others who have long hair, always wishing that I could, myself, have some.

To have long hair, as I read in a few books, apparently helps women (and men) with "intuition"; the hair acting like an antenna to our surroundings; and people with long hair having a better sense of that; which I always lacked of; and as my hair grow longer, I am also getting more confident in myself and more connected.

The thing is, my hair is so so sensitive and easily painful, that having long hair also brings out something that I wasn't so aware of before, anger towards myself... I do wonder whether there is something to do with long hair and past lives; and they may be sensitive like vulnerable toddlers, because of past treatment to them.

This was really interesting, thank you.

origane
October 17th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Long hair is also to be allowed to be beautiful!

When I look at people with short hair, particularly an ex boyfriend I had, it was like he denied who he really was and he wouldn't allow himself to be. It feels quite sad. Like if having short hair made someone "lesser".
It is a perception, not a truth. It is my feeling.

I agree with someone's post about religiousness that in certain religions like catholics, (which I am, unfortunately, from birth christening and I don't know how to get rid of it, can we de-christien ourselves?) there is this thing with guilt and not being "allowed" to cherish ourselves and nurture ourselves, because we have to give everything to others. And having long hair is saying "I am allowed to be beautiful and to think so, whatever YOU say"... Ah, religions...

Liliana
October 18th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I like what you said, Maliha. Your words are well chosen ones. And your name is beautiful.

Not growing my hair for relegious reason but yes i agree what tami86 said,,,

As a Muslim i understand why long hairs is for women... :) In our culture hair is considered beauty of a women,,,resembling completely opposite as what man have i.e. short hairs..
Everything in this world is created in harmony of each other so women has different code of attraction than men,,hence long hair of a lady means she has PATIENCE to grow it long enough, DEDICATION to maintain its beauty, LOVE to understand its worth and THANKFULNESS & DIGNITY for what she is preserving...

StephanieB
November 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Religion has nothing whatsoever to do with my hair - length, color, degree of vanity with hair toys, etc - in the least.

But covering it with a veil when I'm in a church sanctuary does.

Having the less-than-usual perspectives about hair & religion -- born & raised Jewish, convert to Christianity -- I find it quite interesting that all three of thesse major religions says essentially the same thing, yet puts it into practice so very differently.

Like I said - I prefer to wear a veil (not a hat) in any church sanctuary that fits a specific definition of that (admittedly, mine is a pretty narrow definition when compared with how most Protestants would define).

I wear a hijab when I'm in certain heavily Middle Eastern Muslim communities right here in NJ, out of respect.

I have never donned, and would never wear a sheitel, however, nor even a tichel, despite there being no ideological difference between a hijab or a tichel... and only a style difference.

Yes, I've worn wigs. I was referring to a sheitel as a wig for solely religious reasons.

dreamhair
December 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
No, but it could be, possibly I think. I was raised religious but non- specific religious. I think this is mostly influenced with the fact that we did not live near a town growing up so going "to church" was not really an option and my parents were from different religious backgrounds. With my fiancee, I have found my own spirituality over the past few years but it is still non-specific.

I am growing my hair out more for my fiancee right now than anything. He asked if I would for our wedding. He fell in love with me with hair I have kept short for years so that is not an issue. IF I feel it fits what we believe and is back by scripture we follow, I could grow for that reason too.

I don't think I have messages available yet so could someone reference it here please. Old Testament if possible. Thank you.

catfish
December 10th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Nope, I am growing my hair long because I am a vain, vain, princess and I like it:p

Peter
December 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM
No religious reason for me... I just saw a bunch of heavy metal bands with long hair and I liked how it looked. So I'm trying it out. :)

morguebabe
December 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
No. While I am religious and spiritual I'm not doing for those reason.

morguebabe
December 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
No religious reason for me... I just saw a bunch of heavy metal bands with long hair and I liked how it looked. So I'm trying it out. :)

LOL :cheese: Love it.

Fireweed
December 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Not for religious reasons, but I have been growing my hair for over 40 years. It has become more of my identity now.

AutumnSky
December 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM
My spirituality is unconventional and eclectic...sensuality is deeply spiritual in our house, and yes, I keep my hair long because it brings me pleasure, and the sensual nature of it is very centering for me.

Nope, I am growing my hair long because I am a vain, vain, princess and I like it:p

And then there's that too..... :pegasus:

JamieLeigh
December 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Our family is fairly religious, but that is not the reason for growing out my hair. I love the way it looks and feels when it's long, and that's enough for me. I know that the main thing surrounding I Cor 11, in the Bible, is that it is "uncut", not just that it is "long". A woman can have "uncut" hair that is shoulder-length, depending on her growth patterns, and still be considered the same in the eyes of God as a woman with floor-length and beyond.

Bottom line, I love long hair, and while I understand some of the religious reasons for hair growth, I do it for my own selfish reasons. At least at this time. :p

Ryanne
December 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
No, not for religious reasons.

WaimeaWahine
December 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Spiritual reason yes, religious reason no.

rockkcor
December 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Spiritual reason yes, religious reason no.

I love this answer!

Depending on what ‘religious’ is – if I feel strong for something – why then it can’t be my own religion?

viking_quest
December 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM

I'm growing my hair for both of those reasons.

Sissy
December 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
My hair is not long for religious reasons. However, having long hair makes me feel more honed in with nature and my natural side, if that makes any sense :o

Lindsay
December 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM
My hair is not long for religious reasons. However, having long hair makes me feel more honed in with nature and my natural side, if that makes any sense :o

Same here. :D

Melisande
December 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I let my hair grow as part of a spiritual discovery. Something like the inner wild woman :-) that I set free. She was free when I was younger and I forgot her for some years. Now, she is lifting her long-haired head again.

I have no idea where this journey will take me. But it's spiritual.

annys
December 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM

I feel the same!

frogette
December 14th, 2008, 01:53 AM
No religious reason. But I see growing my hair out as a way to reclaim my body. A bit like tattooing (it's a strange comparison, but it makes sense to me). My mother used to cut my hair short when I was a kid, and it felt like a mutilation; now that I'm in my late thirties society keeps telling me that a woman my age shouldn't have long hair. Growing my hair out is a way to affirm my individuality and to feel truer to my own self.

Chia Pet
December 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM
too bad I haven't figure out how to quote yet, there are a couple comments that really said what I feel.

As far as just religious reasons, I remember being read the verse, "a woman's hair is her glory" when I was very little. If growing my hair out was all I needed to have glory I was pretty excited about that. I do believe it is meant as a covering for women, and as a distinction in femininity, just as my dad has a beard because he believes it's what God gave men to show their masculinity. I don't feel I have to have long hair or that I please God by having it long, I believe I'm fulfilling my natural femininity and that "long" is up to interpretation.

I had a discussion with a Quaker lady and she kept her long hair up and covered. She told me that her husband enjoyed the fact that he was the only one that saw her hair down on a regular basis, like the beauty of it was just for him. We talked about hair as attracting men and I really like that idea. I believe this "glory" is very powerful and seductive and I'm careful who I show it to, I like the idea of it one day being for my husband.

Personally, I think long hair is a great symbol of a woman. It's beautiful and soft, the care, patience, and gentleness that is demonstrated to maintain it, but how strong it really has to be to survive all the elements. It can be styled in an endless amount of ways from stern to wild, pious to sexy, and all that, in a very small way, helps me understand my role and abilities.

btw, I had never thought of long hair as rebellious but I love it. I look forward to reading more about being rebellious.

Drynwhyl
December 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I consider humans animals.
Somehow I feel that cutting hair is unnatural (as is combing, but I'm gonna wait a bit before I dreadlock)
but still, I do so many thing that are "unnatural". I'm such a hypocrite lol :p

So I'm quoting the spiritual-yes, religious-no.

Crazy Lady
December 28th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Nope. I am an atheist and not particularly spiritual.

I grow my hair long because long hair is who I am. I'm not especially in tune with nature, I just enjoy long hair. I only ever cut my hair or think about cutting my hair when I feel insecure, so it seems long hair is what I truly want.

ReddishRocks
December 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I'm growing out my hair partially because my husband loves it long. :) Our marriage wasn't religious in nature, but definitely spiritual. He is my Anam Cara - my soul friend. And since my soul friend is particularly fond of long hair, and I reap the benefits of his fondness, and I don't see any reason to have it short anyway... why not give him what he likes? :D

swirlytresses
March 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Honestly I wish that I could figure out some of those styles. Although I will say that from what I do know (this is why I don't attend the Apolostic/Pentecostal church, the ladies aren't "friendly" there) they use alot of heat to get those curls and lots and lots and lots of hairspray and other product. They are good at getting their hair to look healthy when it is up, but I have seen many with severely damaged hair.

I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with "unfriendly" pentecostal/apostolic ladies....and you are right, a lot of the ladies use a lot of heat and bad products in their hair. Unfortunately they are not all taught how to take proper care of their hair. I personally have learned this on my own for mine and my daughter's sake and I am trying to help others too.....and yes I am pentecostal/apostolic too. As for hairdo's I can get some pics together of all the different styles that we do on ourselves. Mine and one of my daughter's hair is long and curly and my other daughter's is straight. I will try to get these together but it may take a little time. HTH.

swirlytresses
March 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm Apostolic Pentecostal.
<a little hijack> I want to say I'm sorry the ladies at that church weren't friendly. How awful. You can come to my church anytime and be bombarded by all the people who want to meet you :) <end hijack>.
Second, I grow my hair because of a personal conviction I have. It is not because my religion told me to. I believe though my own bible reading that if I have long hair it is pleasing to God. So I make a personal choice to have long hair.

Well spoken.

enfys
March 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I don't consider myself to be religious. I don't believe in "religion" as a series of tick boxes to achieve, I have a faith or belief that is much more personal. My dad brought me up to see and understand that difference.

I don't know if God is all that bothered by my hair, but one thing I know my mum has told me is that we reflect who we are in how we look. If I have long, pretty, healthy hair it suggests I'm the same inside, which would be in part down to my firm beliefs in God. I don't see it as vain.

That said, I'm also very spiritual and into nature. This does lead to adopting some teachings of other faiths, but at the end of the day we reap what we sow and that less chemicals or fuels etc I use for my hair's sake the cleaner the water and air around me will be. Most people with any faith believe in that.

So, I don't have long hair for God, or to feel close the the Earth and nature, but it sure helps!

Katla
March 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
As several others have put it as well, I, too, keep my hair long for spiritual reasons, rather than religious reasons. My religion doesn't have any requirements in that regard, but I feel more comfortable with long hair and it makes me feel more connected to this land and my ancestors. My hairstyle (braided or kept in a bun whenever I'm out in public) is also a spiritual thing, rather than religious. It was a pre-Christian tradition that married women wore their hair up or covered, and while it's definitely not a requirement or something most people even consider, I still do my best to observe it :) I like that the only people to see me with loose hair is Best Beloved and my family.

Naava
March 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
For me the answer is no. It's purely an esthetic thing. I like to have a little fairytale in my every day life :)

AmyJorgensen
March 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I am not religious. I just see long hair as a part of my personality. I've had long hair for such a long time that I wouldn't feel myself any other way.

rose_in_bloom
March 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM
(Not sure if I've already posted here, but oh well :))

I am religious (Christian), but I don't believe that cutting it is a sin or anything. I simply think long hair is beautiful and it's part of my personality.

LittleOrca
March 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Long hair just feels more natural and beautiful to me. It reminds me of mermaids and the deep connection to water I feel in my heart, and therefor to the gods.

I guess that makes me a little strange, but I am ok with that! :)

Helen Baq
March 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I consider humans animals.
Somehow I feel that cutting hair is unnatural (as is combing, but I'm gonna wait a bit before I dreadlock)
but still, I do so many thing that are "unnatural". I'm such a hypocrite lol :p

So I'm quoting the spiritual-yes, religious-no.

Lol! I feel the same way, to some extent. I feel long hair is natural. We evolved this way for a reason. However, the combing is natural, to some extent, IMO. I recently read a book about evolution and it was talking about humans grooming each other as a form of social communication. The obsession with short hair, long hair, fancy dos, etc. could easily be seen as a natural extension of our need for grooming to feel accepted as part of the tribe. Though, dreadies could be natural for some hair types, my hair is too straight, fine, and slippery to want to dread. I used to have dreadlocks and I actually had to work at it. I tried simply not combing my hair and after a month I could still run my fingers through it with no problem. Dreadlocks ended up being far more work and effort than just having long, undreaded hair, for me. Also, I feel long hair is very possibly a sexual thing. It isn't very functional in a natual setting and would tend to cause problems getting caught on branches, etc. The main reason any creature developes features that tend to otherwise inhibit it's survival is for sexual attraction - think peacock tails.

That being said, after reading through this entire thread, I have to say there is definately some spirituality to my growing my hair. It isn't required by my beliefs, but being pagan, it does help me to feel more connected to the earth and to nature and, like many others have said, I do feel more powerful with long hair.

My original reason for growing my hair was a twofold one, though. First, I hate hairdressers. I've only known two people in my life that could give me a good short haircut and one of them wasn't even a hairdresser! My hair won't curl or even hold a perm and doesn't even like to keep hair ties in it and I have a big, obnoxious cow lick right in front! Pretty much every hairdresser I've ever gone to has insisted they could get my hair to curl and give me bangs, despite my cowlick, and they always fail. I just avoid them, now. Secondly, I prefer my hair long and have most always had long hair. Since my hair is impossible to style and that cowlick is evil and pervasive, it's just easier to have long hair and stop trying to make my hair do things it simply refuses to do.

So I guess that's a long-winded yes and no! :roll:

SimplyLonghair
March 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Yes and no. I do think that long hair is spiritual and that in some ways that my growing up Pentecostal influenced me but I don't think that it is a requirement.

I mainly have long hair because I feel more me with long hair. :shrug: It is part of who I am. I like me better with long hair. I intend to see just how long terminal is for me.

I like it better since LHC even though I have had long hair for years. LHC showed me how to take better care of it than ever before!:cheese:

Braidmaid
March 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Although I am a Christian, I don't feel that I am required to never cut my hair. I am choosing to grow my hair because it makes me feel more feminine. God loves me, and He created me, and I'm learning to love who I am. Growing my hair is expressing who I am, and if it brings glory to God that is even better!

annie09
March 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I have my hair long for non religious reasons and personal taste, nothing spiritual either.

Wind-in-Tree
March 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM
My family from my mothers side is quite religious and believes women should have long hair for religious reasons.
It can be cut though and nowadays there are a lot of women with hair above their shoulders who go to church and are a part of that religion.
Although I am familiar with the religious side of having long hair as a woman, for me personally it is not attached to any religion.
I do not think that the length of your hair necessarily states anything about your spirituality.

But as some here said before me, it is almost a sacred thing to have, long hair and to take care of.
It gives me very private moments, meditative as another member posted here.
A spiritual ritual.
Connected to something ancient that may have been forgotten in a more conscious way but still is very much alive within me, I feel.

WavyGirl
March 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I haven't read all the answers so I apologise if I repeat what's already been said.

I'm growing mine out because I've wished since childhood to have long hair. Because I want to be more accepting of myself in my natural state and less governed by convention and societal norms. Because it suits me better and is easier to care for. Because I just love the way long hair looks and wearing updos.

I find it funny that so many wonder if my long hair is for religious reasons. My friends all know that I am a Roman Catholic and think this is an influence in my descision. It is funny to me because what I associate most with religious devotion is the nuns cutting off their hair when they enter the religious orders. Keeping it long feels like vanity to me especially as it gives me so much pleasure and I take comfort that so many others do it for spiritual reasons. For me, keeping it un-dyed natural looking feels more spiritual than keeping it long.

RedStripe
March 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I guess I would have to describe myself as one of those "not religious, but spiritual" types (I don't like that label, but it comes closer than anything else), but I don't think of my long hair as having anything to do with that.

I really like some of the ideas that have been expressed here, though, including the notion of growing and caring for your hair as a meditative practice, and also cutting your hair at times of great grief or other transition.

This has been a really interesting thread. I really knew next to nothing about the fact that long hair is part of some religious beliefs. I've definitely learned something here.

Alli.2009
March 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
This is really fascinating to me! I love reading all these well thought out reasons... I have none. I have always had medium length hair (shoulder to APL) and one day I decided I didn't want to pay for hair care anymore that meant no more relaxers, then no more cuts and styles at the salon and learning how to care for my hair myself. I'm scared to do much more than a trim by myself, longer hair has just been a byproduct.

Indu
March 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM
That said, I do NOT get why anyone would want a haircut/hairstyle that is totally androgynous. This has happened a few times, and i hate it when I see someone--even am introduced to them--and cannot tell if they are male or female. I won't even go into some people choosing sex changes or whatever...my point being, whichever sex you are, just BE THAT in a way that others can tell what you are, you know?
OK, sorry, little rant there. But it makes me crazy. Short hair = fine, but at least be true to your sex, you know?

This is such an interesting post that i came across accidentally - that i joined to join in!!

I don't grow my hair long for religious reasons - just think that for me I look better with long hair and have had long hair most of my life, but every now and then have gone short. I certainly didn't look masculine though with short hair. I don't feel as 'me' as i do with short hair - mainly because most o fmy life i've had long and 'big' hair - that people come to know me as the one with all the hair! although compared to alot of people on here, my hair is pathetic!!

I don't know why it is deemed feminine to have long hair and masculine to have short (i can understand WHY in our current lives since we are brought up to think that that is the way) - but men have the same ability to grow their hair long just as women do. Its only culture/society (and religion of course) which cuts (or doesn't cut) it.

I agree with whomever said that women started cutting their hair short was to do with rebellion against not being able to do it before. But to say that long hair is automatically feminine and short is masculine is a bit silly as it is only in regards to the way we have been brought up in a mostly male dominated society which for a long time thought women should not have a vote...

If both males and females can grow their hair long - then it is neither masculine or feminine.

I think long hair looks fantastic - not all men suit it (not all women suit it either) - but when you see a fantastic head of hair, its hard to miss and compliment!! :)

princess
March 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I have long hair because I want to have long hair. Not because of religious reasons. In my religion one can have long hair for religious reasons.

nowxisxforever
March 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
No.

I was raised Seventh-day Adventist but my family always had shortish hair. I think the longest anyone else's hair has gotten was about BSL-waist in my family, my hair has just recently passed classic if you pull it straight.

I'm agnostic leaning towards atheist, and I grew my hair (and continue growing my hair) because I love long hair and I feel that it expresses me far better than short hair, as well as it just looks better!

Alun
March 19th, 2009, 09:52 PM
'Change roles' means women trying to prove that they are able to do typically men's jobs and wanting to take control over men who should be meek. This is feminism. It isn't about 'rights for women'. Oh why do each sex wants to have control over the other?:rolleyes: Or there are women who constantly look for signs of discrimination towards them. I've never noticed being screwed out of anything! And I don't have to feel more manly for purpose of feeling more worthful. Sadly, women thaught themselves how to manipulate the men and it's nothing better then men who restict women. It's all about the upper hand...

What you've described isn't feminism. Sadly, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

IndigoInk
March 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Just your garden variety dirt-worshipping tree-hugging granola-munching crystal-gripping pagan here

I don't have my hair long because anything dictates it, but I do think that long hair is a powerful, ancient feminine symbol.

From Joan of Arc and her shorn locks, to Medusa and her hissing tresses, to Lady Godiva whose hair was her only raiment; from Rapunzel and her golden rope to the Gift of the Maji; the ebony hair of a geisha so painfully styled, the witch casting a spell to a pious nun in prayer.

There is such a history of story, and allusion to the women of the world with long hair, and I am, frankly, proud to carry on that lineage.

I think Nightshade said it best, I couldn't figure out how to articulate my feelings and her post really struck a chord with me

I also agree with Alun that isn't feminism. I'm minoring in women's studies and if you'd like to discuss the different waves of feminism and their goals and agendas I would be happy to answer any pms. :D

BranwenWolf
March 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM
I guess you could call it a spiritual thing.
I don't believe cutting hair is forbidden but letting it grow is sort of accepting and cherishing what God gave me.

But religion isn't the primary reason I'm growing it- like other people posted, I'm growing it out just because I wanna!:D

jay0
April 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
No, I do not have long hair for religious reasons.

Morningglory
April 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Yes, I am discovering the depth and personal revelation of it as I walk my spiritual path. Growing my hair long is very spiritual for me to the depth of my heart and soul.

I am Christian and I love searching for and discovering my Creator! I do believe everything matters to Him. He even has the hairs on our heads numbered. He has uncondional love for everyone, He loves us with or without long hair!!!!! However, if my hair is given to me for a glory and to honor Him in my personal prayer life I am certainly going to be intersted in having my hair long for this reason. Because, I love and seek Him and want to be connected to my Creator in every part of my being, I am His temple. He dwells in me and and I abide in Him. My goal is to dwell in His beauty and love for all of eternity! :sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun:

fishwich
April 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Nope. I'm secular as they come. I just asked my braid, though, and it said that it was thinking of converting to Buddhism.

Runzel
April 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I am Christian and I love searching for and discovering my Creator! I do believe everything matters to Him. He even has the hairs on our heads numbered. He has uncondional love for everyone, He loves us with or without long hair!!!!! However, if my hair is given to me for a glory and to honor Him in my personal prayer life I am certainly going to be intersted in having my hair long for this reason. Because, I love and seek Him and want to be connected to my Creator in every part of my being, I am His temple. He dwells in me and and I abide in Him. My goal is to dwell in His beauty and love for all of eternity! :sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun:

Amen!!

I am not growing my hair exclusively for religious reasons, but the longer it gets the more I find myself enjoying it and thus delighting in the God who created it. Moreover, I find that the word "glory" is a difficult one to understand in our culture, to the point where "bringing God glory" is more Christianese than English. So the verse that talks about long hair being a woman's glory gives me a tangible example of what "glory" really is. I love it!

swanns
April 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Morningglory and Runzel, I'm with you on this one!

When I started growing my hair about five years ago I had no religious reasons for it whatsoever, I'd just always wanted to have it long yet always someone ended up cutting it. Now, however, as I've become more familiar with the Bible and that my hair has reached a length where it actually is sort of unusually long I feel more and more like it truly is for God that it is long. If I said it was solely for him I'd be lying since that was not my initial thought at the beginning of my long-hair journey, but that's now one of the main things that keeps me from cutting it and that makes me happy for having long hair. :)

milemma
April 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
for me, it's just because I feel much better and prettier with long hair.

Aang
April 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Well, I'm a Buddhist, vanity is generally frowned upon, so I'm not doing it for religious reasons.

However, I've just come out of a long period of severe depression and low-self esteem. So I'm trying to cultivate beauty in a part of me. I guess it's a little confidence boost.

I also find something quite peaceful, like meditation, in tending to my hair.

Many reasons then, I guess!

elliebean184
April 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hmm- I've been growing mine out because I was always frustrated that no one just let me have naturally curly hair! It's more manageable when long and I can actually wear it down, which I love.
Though I really like someone's description of it as a practice in patience- I could always use a little more patience!

pineapple pea
April 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Not at all, I am not religious.

irreverent
May 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
hmmmm...

that is a good question. I'm of the "Yes AND No" club. I had uncut hair until I was about 8-9 years old, and then it was all shaved off. the only times I have cut it since have been once (1994) to have a wig made for a very dear friend who lost her BSL to cancer and cried for a month until I showed up with a bob and presented her with the wig. she even asked to be buried in it. And she was.
And once...well it involved alcohol, silliness and a bonfire. 'nuff said.:o
I keep my hair long because I want to, and because I like it. I believe that personal happiness is of paramount importance in your relationship to Deity, and your connection to Deity is stronger when you are happy with your inward and outward representation of self.
just sayin'.

It's like a line from a poem I like..."The medicine is all in her long, unbraided hair."

windinherhair
May 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Someone once asked me that at work. I don't have any particular reason for having long hair... just really love it. :)

Sheltie_Momma
May 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Morningglory and Runzel, I'm with you on this one!

When I started growing my hair about five years ago I had no religious reasons for it whatsoever, I'd just always wanted to have it long yet always someone ended up cutting it. Now, however, as I've become more familiar with the Bible and that my hair has reached a length where it actually is sort of unusually long I feel more and more like it truly is for God that it is long. If I said it was solely for him I'd be lying since that was not my initial thought at the beginning of my long-hair journey, but that's now one of the main things that keeps me from cutting it and that makes me happy for having long hair. :)

This describes me too. I didn't start for that reason, but now that it is long, I have an understanding of how it glorifies God, because I am His creation. It isn't that I believe having long hair is a rule or a must-do, but rather that it is an opportunity.

You know I recently started this little herb garden in my backyard and I'm finding that my feelings about my little garden and my hair are similar. I feel very tender towards these special things that have been given to me to care for and I delight in them.

Janelonghair
May 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I was wondering if any of you ladies that have long hair because of religious reasons would still have it long if those religious reasons didn't exist?

Sasha_S
May 22nd, 2009, 03:34 PM
It's a no for me, but this thread is so interesting! :)
x

Astarte_1980
October 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM
No, its lond because I want it

Nae
October 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hmmmm, well this is an old thread but I would say there is nothing particularly religious about it for me. I do identify with the idea of it being an exercise in patience and in that aspect I think you could call it spiritual. I also relate to long hair being a link to women of the past, love that.

JCFantasy23
October 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
No, I'm christian but never felt it mattered.