PDA

View Full Version : Stiff hair

CurlAhead
February 26th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Hey guys. I just wonder if anyone else feel that they have really stiff hair? It's like I have hairspray in it all the time. Others hair will fall naturally on the other side of the hair if you grab a strand of hair (if anyone knows what I mean) but mine is like pointing straight out.. :confused: :confused:
It really annoys me because it feels disgusting haha! Any advice? :(

rock007junkie
February 26th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Are you doing regular moisture treatments? using any oils? What's your routine? It might make it easier to identify the problem.

Arctic
February 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Do you have coarse hair? Coarse hair type tends often be less bendy than finer strands.

Vampyria
February 26th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I know what you mean. My hair also acts like that. I'm using oils, moisturizing conditioner but nothing helps. I think mine needs a trim, because the last time I trimmed that got a little better.

CurlAhead
February 26th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I think I have M mixed with some coarse strands. I have tried different routines but nothing seems to work. CO, CWC/CSC, NO/SO and now I try to wash my hair only once a week. That doesn't seem to work either. I sometimes do SMTs...

Dreams_in_Pink
February 26th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I have coarse hair and mine does exactly that. Unless it's wet, it never bends down. Moisturizing should help, but in my experience, nothing helped the situation :(

CurlAhead
February 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I know what you mean. My hair also acts like that. I'm using oils, moisturizing conditioner but nothing helps. I think mine needs a trim, because the last time I trimmed that got a little better.

Yes, it does get a little better after trims but it only lasts for one or two washes and then it goes back to being stiff and crunchy. I have tried using proteins and excluding it as well.. :confused:

jesis
February 26th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Try using a BBB to get it to lay flat, you could also try clarifying, trimming, ACV, moisturizing, a heavy oiling after you shower to lock in the moisture, etc.

CurlAhead
February 26th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I have coarse hair and mine does exactly that. Unless it's wet, it never bends down. Moisturizing should help, but in my experience, nothing helped the situation :(

But you seem to have lovely hair (your avatar). If nothing helps I am shaving it off and getting a wig. :p

Try using a BBB to get it to lay flat, you could also try clarifying, trimming, ACV, moisturizing, a heavy oiling after you shower to lock in the moisture, etc.

I have really curly hair so using a BBB only makes it poofy. Have tried it all.. :( But thanks for the advice! :)

Dreams_in_Pink
February 26th, 2012, 09:02 AM
But you seem to have lovely hair (your avatar). If nothing helps I am shaving it off and getting a wig. :p

Hey, don't be so pessimistic...Having coarse hair has its benefits, like it always has volume :)

Oh, and have you tried clarifying? Maybe product buildup makes your hair act like coarse?

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Could you try and train that recalcitrant stiff hair to lay flat via pinning it down daily with a bobby pin?

Maybe take a few neighboring hairs flanking the stiff hair, then dampen them slightly and pin them down, with no twisting if possible. It might take time..try it for a month and see what happens.

spidermom
February 26th, 2012, 09:21 AM
How long is your hair?

ktani
February 26th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I agree that if this is unusual for you that it sounds like build-up.

You have been trying different routines, all involving a fair amount of conditioner and possibly conditioning shampoos. That can result in stiff hair. If so, your hair is simply overloaded with waxy ingredients, polymers and possibly drying resinous oils, that can all leave hair the way you describe.

Clarifying well should remedy it.

rowie
February 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hey, don't be so pessimistic...Having coarse hair has its benefits, like it always has volume :)

Oh, and have you tried clarifying? Maybe product buildup makes your hair act like coarse?

I have to agree that coarse hairs give the benefit of volume! Sometimes too much. I have coarse hairs and it is pliable. I noticed that it gets really stiff when I use coconut oils. However, my hairs will be soft again after I wash it with shampoo/condish and then let it air dry and not touching it literally.

Also if you have thick hair, what I find helpful is a light mixture of olive oil and coconut oil. I only put a little bit and it softens my hair. Another way is to do an ACV rinse after you shampoo your hair and then let it air dry. These are some of the methods that work for me. Good luck.

CurlAhead
February 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I clarified my hair (it became dreadlocks, lol) and tried a conditioner without silicones and after that a conditioner containing silicones. Let's see how it ends up dry! :)

Tigermama
February 26th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Mine is that way too. I had really good luch with the Neutrogena clarifying shampoo, watered down. Then a really long deep condition, two hours long. My hair was soft for a day and now is back to its regular texture. At least it will never look flat. Its what Mother Nature gave me.

MaryMarx
February 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I have hair like that too, but it's from chemicals and heat. I can actually make my braid stick out horisontal from my head!

chou
February 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Might be protein build-up? This is how my hair behaves with too much protein. It's coarse to begin with but it just gets worse with protein and sticks out at right angles. Check your conditioners for "hydrolized" anything. It might be the cause.

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM
The first thing I thought of was whether or not you rinse stuff out of your hair well enough? IF product is left remaining in the hair, once the hair dries, it can become somewhat stiff.

I tried to see a picture of your hair, but you have no public profile and no hair albums. Maybe we have to wait for you to post more?

Course hair doesn't usually stick straight out unless something is wrong. I'd love to see a picture of what you're talking about.

Sometimes this hair type sticks straight out if it's very, very short (as in a military hair cut or a buzz cut).

Are you using warm water when you wash and condition your hair?

I'm just really curious.

hmmm.

heidi w.

BBdck1
February 27th, 2012, 05:34 PM
My hair was really stiff too. I thought it was just dry so I use lots of conditioner, hair mask, and oil but that just makes my ends "crunchy." Then i realized it was product build-ups. I use Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo (once every 1-2 weeks) then deep condition it. It really helped me!