PDA

View Full Version : How much does your hair change over time?

pes3108
February 26th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hey guys! I was just curious... has everyone's hair changed a huge amount over time? When I was little, I had thick, dark, super straight hair. However, it got lighter the older I got and when I hit puberty, it got super super curly. I had Shirley temple ringlets all over my head from about 11 to about 16! My hair was in great condition then too, I never did anything too it and would wash it just once a week. It got down to about my waist and then I chopped it all off. It seems like after I chopped it off (and started experimenting with flat irons and hair dye!) almost all of that curl fell out! Now it varies between really wavy to limp, loose curls. :confused:
I had a hairdresser tell me once that it was due to hormones - that my hair got super curly around puberty and that it would get like that again when I got pregnant. Can anyone attest to the validity of this?! And how has your hair changed over time?

jacqueline101
February 26th, 2012, 06:51 AM
My hair used to be more blonde when I was younger but I work nights and sleep during the day time. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Also my hair is thicker then it used to be.

terylenerose
February 26th, 2012, 06:59 AM
My hair was light blonde when I was younger, but now it's this funny color that isn't brown or blonde. It's not blonette either, in case you're wondering. I think it used to be more 3a than 2c, but this could just be a change in my routine. It's probably thicker too, but that happens as you get older.

Covet
February 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM
My hair hasn't actually changed much, I still have a very hairy head haha. Perhaps it has become slightly more curly but I put that down to co-washing :)

Vampyria
February 26th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Hey guys! I was just curious... has everyone's hair changed a huge amount over time? When I was little, I had thick, dark, super straight hair. However, it got lighter the older I got and when I hit puberty, it got super super curly. I had Shirley temple ringlets all over my head from about 11 to about 16! My hair was in great condition then too, I never did anything too it and would wash it just once a week. It got down to about my waist and then I chopped it all off. It seems like after I chopped it off (and started experimenting with flat irons and hair dye!) almost all of that curl fell out! Now it varies between really wavy to limp, loose curls. :confused:
I had a hairdresser tell me once that it was due to hormones - that my hair got super curly around puberty and that it would get like that again when I got pregnant. Can anyone attest to the validity of this?! And how has your hair changed over time?

My story is quite similar. I had straight and thick hair when I was little as well. When I was eleven it started to curl. I got 3c curls, but the color didn't change much. The ends got really dry and damaged and it felt like straw. My hair was cut to a short bob at that time, so I had a lot of frizz and it was all big unmanageable mess. I had no idea how to take care after curly hair and the curls only look good after swimming in the sea. After the age of 20 I discovered that my hair doesn't curl that much anymore, and I thought that is due to the weight of the hair. I got almost to waist at the time. But then I had to cut it to APL because of the damage I caused with dyeing and flat ironing. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that my hair doesn't curl anymore. But it's not totally straight now, it has little wave, the ends are softer and I really love it :) I was also told that this happens due to hormonal changes.

pes3108
February 26th, 2012, 07:32 AM
My story is quite similar. I had straight and thick hair when I was little as well. When I was eleven it started to curl. I got 3c curls, but the color didn't change much. The ends got really dry and damaged and it felt like straw. My hair was cut to a short bob at that time, so I had a lot of frizz and it was all big unmanageable mess. I had no idea how to take care after curly hair and the curls only look good after swimming in the sea. After the age of 20 I discovered that my hair doesn't curl that much anymore, and I thought that is due to the weight of the hair. I got almost to waist at the time. But then I had to cut it to APL because of the damage I caused with dyeing and flat ironing. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that my hair doesn't curl anymore. But it's not totally straight now, it has little wave, the ends are softer and I really love it :) I was also told that this happens due to hormonal changes.

That is really interesting... sounds exactly like me, except my hair isn't straight. I feel like my hair has gotten a lot finer as well (still thick!) and frizzier. What do you do for your hair now?

Madora
February 26th, 2012, 08:04 AM
My hair didn't change much until about 15 years ago when I noticed the thickness wasn't there.

Anemia caused me to lose at least a third of my hair's usual thickness and I've never gained it back.

Overall, my hair has stayed the same throughout my life..same texture and color.

Amber_Maiden
February 26th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I think it does have to do with certain changes in hormone levels. Up until I was 3 my hair was blonde. From 3 to 5 my hair was dark brown. From there on till I was 13 it was blonde. And then it was just brown. When I turned 18 it went auburn red and has stayed that way. And since I've become pregnant my roots have turned blonde! Weird huh?

I also think diet is heavily linked to hair and how it changes, as well locations- minerals in your water, where your food is grown and the levels of minerals in it, etc.

That said, I haven't noticed a HUGE change in my hair since going vegan 8 years ago... I did, however, notice a change from the 2-2.5 years I was a 100% raw vegan- my hair became thinner and a lot of it fell out.

Vampyria
February 26th, 2012, 08:17 AM
That is really interesting... sounds exactly like me, except my hair isn't straight. I feel like my hair has gotten a lot finer as well (still thick!) and frizzier. What do you do for your hair now?

Mine also got finer, but a lot thinner too. I kind off miss having so much hair but don't miss curls. I gave up dyeing and heat a year and a half ago and started using coconut oil. And I started to take a lot of supplement for thickness and hair growth. I'm glad to see that my virgin hair is now much thicker than those that were dyed and ironed:) I just hope my hair will stay the way it is during pregnancy;)

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 08:23 AM
My hair used to be very thin and light blonde, now it's very thick and dark blonde

Renate
February 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
My hair hasn't changed at all. But I'm only 20.

Diamond.Eyes
February 26th, 2012, 08:35 AM
My hair color hasn't changed much at all, it has gotten a tiny bit darker. Also the texture is the same, maybe a little more wavy? Then 4 years ago, I started taking iron supplements for my anemia and I noticed a very drastic change in growth and thickness. :) After starting the iron supplements, I started taking several other ones for my hair and skin and noticed my hair was even thicker and very shiny and strong :D! Gotta love them vitamins ;) haha.

auroraclio
February 26th, 2012, 08:54 AM
My colour hasn't changed but when I was a child it was pin straight 1a hair and super thick. When I hit puberty it became a little wavy but after pregnancy and having my daughter it's 2a and half the thickness it used to be. It didn't come back either, she's 7 now.

Pinkster8
February 28th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Since I stopped using heat, my hair has developed a little bit more wave - I find hair that forms very loose spirals as opposed to straight ones