PDA

View Full Version : photographs: yay or nay

bgarrison
July 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM
There's so many great photos at this site it got me wondering-- am I the only one who abhors being photographed? This is a life long phobia based in childhood orders to "quit goofing around" during photo sessions. Back when you had to actually pay for photo developing. :o

Marcipangris
July 20th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I don't really like being photographed by other people because the photos always make me look as frumpy as possible... the ones I take look good, because I know which angles make me look the best. :D

Vainjane
July 20th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I don't mind too much IF I am having a good hair & skin day. I hate when a camera is brought out at pool parties or pic-niks. I feel like a drowned raccon; wet hair, running makeup... eh.

freznow
July 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM
The best pictures are when you're happy. Not just smiling for the camera, but when you're just doing something you like to do or with someone you love, the camera somehow sees that. Or maybe there's something else to it, but for some reason the pics where I'm content to be photographed always turn out better than the ones when I'm just kinda 'there' or not excited and stuff. (Maybe there's some emotional memory playing in there...)

I don't necessarily mind being photographed, I just won't go out of my way to get in a picture. So what if it turns out bad? That's kinda the objective of taking so many pictures - to get a few good ones.

AJoifulNoise
July 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I chose the cheese option. I dislike having my picture taken, but I almost never turn down someone who wants to take one. I want to make sure that people have a peice of me if something should happen to me. I only have a handful of pictures of my mom before she died and it makes me sad. She hated having her picture taken... But, they are all I have left of her and I treasure them beyond most of my other things. Whenever I feel the urge to duck out of pictures or hide my face, I think of that.

nappywomyn
July 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I don't mind having my picture taken, but I almost always hate how I look in photos (largely because my self-image doesn't match the reality of things :lol:)

Gumball
July 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Sometimes it's circumstantial so I couldn't pick one of the answers. Usually I float around the top two choices though. Usually I'm all for pictures albeit for LHC use I've kept it to just the back of my head. I used to dislike having my photo taken, but I've certainly changed my mind since. On the rare moments when I just don't feel like photos that's when the second choice comes into play. It'll be my decision then.

GlassEyes
July 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I dislike it. D: My face can't seem to decide what it wants to look like in pictures. xD Ever.

ladystar
July 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I love the camera I grew up in front of it! I love acting and modeling so no problem!!!

Mandie
July 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I'm a theatre major... xDDD

crebbsgirl
July 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I really abhor getting my picture taken, so I avoid it at all costs. I think I may have to get over it though. It looks like pictures are the best way to indicate growth so I think I may have to just bite the bullet :(

bgarrison
July 20th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm a theatre major... xDDD
:)

i worked professionally for over a decade and knew tons of actors who*hated* seeing photos/films of themselves

actors can be a strange mix of shy, grandiose, self absorbed/destructive, self promoting and self denigrating.

thankyousir74
July 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM
It seems that my face morphs depending on lighting and angle. due to this spontaneity, I am cautious at best when it comes to my photo graphs. I hate school pictures or obligatory smiling pictures I feel as if my fake smile is ... well, fake. So I tend to smirk or have a serious face or a goofy face in most pictures. I don't usually have the cheese face on >_>

Tangles
July 20th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Photographs of me rarely depict how I look IRL, simply because I have a mobile face and tend to make awkward expressions when I'm not posing. And when I am posing, I tend to be a bit fake.

Faepirate
July 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I dislike having other people take photos of me because usually they come out looking dreadful (to me)... I'm not very photogenic!

ZaBasDa
July 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I hate pictures of myself; I'm not entirely sure why either. I take don't mind the pictures of the back of my head as much, but I still dislike them.

harley mama
July 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I never liked my photo to be taken. If someone pointed a camera in my direction, I would try to hide. As a result, there are a lot of really BAD photos of me floating around in our families! Then, something profound happened to that made me rethink not wanting to be in pictures. My dad died. Along with the unbearable pain of loosing him, came the realization that I had very few photos of me and Dad together. That was heartbreaking for me because it was not something I could fix. I decided that I was going to stop running when the camera came out. I still don't enjoy having the camera pointed at me but, I don't panic and run now. And, since fighting cancer this past year, I have taken more photos and been in more than ever before. We never know when our time is up here on Earth. I am not going to spend another minute hiding from a camera!

jenna
July 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
i don't like having my picture taken, which may seem strange to say since i have a self-portrait album up. but i only post artsy pics of myself.

the back of my head, if my hair is looking good, i don't mind those being done.

crystal_89
July 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
With my group of friends, we're always taking pictures, especially silly ones so I'm always ready to pose. I love how we can look back on a picture in the most random of places with the most random people and get a good laugh and memories out of them.

Patrycja
July 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I have huge self esteem issues so I advoid the camera like the plague.It's just how I am. I'm even picky about back of the head pics,I almost obsess over how my hair looks.I feel embarassed when I post my hair picks,there are so many back of the heads here that amaze me.
I'd rather be the picture taker :)

nastasska
July 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I hate being photographed I am paranoid about my skin and my nose:(
Back of the head is fine though:)

cuddledumplin
July 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I like having my photo taken. There are parts of my body that I like better than others, but I don't think looks are that important. There are some photos that I think make me look horrid, and there are some that I look at and wonder how it could be me (in a good way).

yogachic
July 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I love Photos. I don't mind them being taken, and I Love to take the photos myself. I'm always snapping pics.

crebbsgirl
July 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I never liked my photo to be taken. If someone pointed a camera in my direction, I would try to hide. As a result, there are a lot of really BAD photos of me floating around in our families! Then, something profound happened to that made me rethink not wanting to be in pictures. My dad died. Along with the unbearable pain of loosing him, came the realization that I had very few photos of me and Dad together. That was heartbreaking for me because it was not something I could fix. I decided that I was going to stop running when the camera came out. I still don't enjoy having the camera pointed at me but, I don't panic and run now. And, since fighting cancer this past year, I have taken more photos and been in more than ever before. We never know when our time is up here on Earth. I am not going to spend another minute hiding from a camera!

Wow Harley Mama, I never really thought about it from that perspective. You make a really good point. Immediately after reading this I went through my own albums and realized I don't have many pictures of me and people I truly care about. Your post really struck a chord. Thank you for sharing that.

Nevermore
July 20th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I don't really like being photographed by other people because the photos always make me look as frumpy as possible... the ones I take look good, because I know which angles make me look the best. :D

I like taking pictures of myself for that reason.

Monsterkitti
July 21st, 2008, 02:10 AM
I usually manage to avoid having my pic taken as Im a photograpgher as usually behind the camera but I dont really mind if Someone pops out with a camera :)

Djinn
July 21st, 2008, 02:48 AM
I have huge self esteem issues so I advoid the camera like the plague.It's just how I am. I'm even picky about back of the head pics,I almost obsess over how my hair looks.

Me too! I feel so horribly ugly. Often when I see pictures of myself I get depressed and my whole day is ruined. With hair pictures it's also like you described, that's why I don't take them.

shrimp
July 21st, 2008, 03:07 AM
I run away from cameras.

(except bun close ups, they are ok. But I really did have to gee myself up to post my first ones here so I voted that option)

DecafJane
July 21st, 2008, 03:31 AM
I don't particularly love them, but I get upset when I don't get photographed, so I answered "yes". :D

Rae~
July 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM

I HATE having my photos taken. Hate it with a passion. I have since a very early age, ie about 8-10, and I'm mid-thirties now. There aren't that many photos of me around, in family albums etc. I'm like the invisible family member. In larger group photos, I always duck/hide. In smaller groups, I nearly always am the one taking the photo (one of the reasons I first started photography).

But, unlike harley mama, I'm quite happy with that. I think the family photos are a lot nicer without me in them, and being in a photo with a family member doesn't make them love me any more, or me love them any more. [NB: Not insinuating that's what you meant, either, harley mama.] I much prefer to reminisce over photos of others that DON'T include me. Yes, I know I will have regrets once Mum or Dad dies, but it will be regrets that I'm so butt ugly that I can't bear to look at myself in photos, NOT wishes that I'd actually inserted myself into more photos.

Back of the head photos, however, are in an entirely different category. No-one here knows me, or would recognise me from those photos, so I don't care about them. I'm fairly careful to pretty much only show hair, though.

paper
July 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM
Mostly, I like having my picture taken. However, if I don't like it, I like the option to delete. Or if I'm having a bad hair day or something, I like to say no thanks.

FrannyG
July 21st, 2008, 07:31 AM
I said photos are okay if I have a say on when or where. My dad likes to take candid photos, so there are a lot of family photos of me in the middle of a sentence with my mouth wide open, or with a full mouth, chewing. Not attractive. :?

I never mind being photographed if I'm having a good time, or if I'm happy.

Haith
July 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not generally a very photogenic person. I always seem to be photographed with the most awkward facial expressions, so I definately shy away from the camera. I don't mind taking pictures of my hair, though, as it looks good in almost every photo (unlike the rest of me).

Eden Iris
July 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
I profoundly dislike it, and I resent the attitude that I should smile and shut up so other people can have a record of me. They can remember me as the crabby woman who said, "Get that camera out of my face." (I mean no disrespect, AJoifulNoise; I understand what you're feeling, too.)

That said, I will one day, for posterity, take photos of my hair so you all know I really exist.

eadwine
July 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM
I will pose when I have to but rather not. I always look like a goof :lol:

wilvi
July 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
If I can avoid being photographed I will. I just always end up looking strange and akward in photos. When I was a kid I used to love posing.... not anymore :o

Islandgrrl
July 21st, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm not very photogenic at all. I don't mind being photographed as long as I know it's going to happen and I have a little input. :)

emeraldfaery
July 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
I can't stand being posed for a photograph! If you just snap it when I'm not looking you'll actually get me and it will probably turn out better. I would rather take a picture of myself though.

vindo
July 21st, 2008, 03:09 PM
My grandfather was a hobby photographer and I inherited that passion and don't mind having my picture taken. Snap Shots are welcome too ^^

Exodus
July 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Cheese!

+ Of course it's nice when someone thinks it's worth including me in photos
- I never look good in pictures

There are actually very few photos taken of me. Most pictures of me is of my hair. And the last hair picture was taken in May. But, well somtimes pictures can be fun.
But I think I like more to be one holding the camera...

mira-chan
July 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM
I don't mind having my picture taken at all even though I'm not very photogenic. Usually though I'm the one with the camera so on trips and such I often have to ask or remind (if they have their own camera) people to take my picture so there is at least some proof I went there. :roll: Usually even camera owning people forget.

starfire
July 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
I used to hate having my picture taken. I'm not photogenic at all. Recently my hubby took some flattering pictures of me so he is allowed to take pictures of me. I trust him to delete the bad ones (hooray for digital cameras) and set the lighting to be flattering :)

froglet
July 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
It would be a rare occasion when I would mind having my picture taken. I like to ham it up in front of the camara. :grin:
I'm also pretty photogenic, I often think I look better in photos than I do in reality.
I voted anytime, anyplace...

Tressie
July 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
I usually need to be on a diet, so I want to wait until I lose weight before I have any pictures of me captured for posterity!:cool: Vain, I know!:shrug:

tiny_teesha
July 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
what Marcipangris said, but then i don't mind if you take one where my face doesn't show.

sexyjacksparrow
July 22nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
I don't mind taking pictures of my hair (although even that's dpressing when it turns out not to look like I think it does) but hate pictures of my face or of me as a whole. I'm not very photogenic and always look like I'm gurning or half asleep.

Kerry xx

Amoretti
July 22nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
I'm rarely in family photographs because I'm the one taking them. LOL. I often have to ask my DH to take a picture of me! I seem to have fallen into the role of family photographer. LOL.

I enjoy having my picture taken, actually. I also enjoy taking pictures of myself. :)

rapunzhell13
July 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
I loathe having my photo taken. Once a camera is pointed my way, I immediately and involuntarily cringe. *Shudder*

yrrebwartsymssi
July 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM
although i am not photogenic every time i see a camera i pose!!! I may look horrific in the photo but at least my pose is AWSOME lol

janaana
July 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
I hate having posed photos taken but don't mind being photographed doing something. When someone asks me to stand still for a picture I seem to get so conscious of what all the different parts of my face and body are doing and how they must look that I seem to be incapable of remembering how they should feel if I'm standing and looking normal and making them do that.

We usually have our pictures done each year for the prospectus at the college where I work and normally I look dreadful in them but one year the photographer set up an area like a classroom and set me to do some work with a student instead of just sitting me in front of him and it really helped. I think that must be the only photo of me that I really liked.

akka naeda
July 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
I hate having my picture taken because I generally end up looking stupid. Having said that I managed to take a pic of myself recently which I was pleased enough with to put up on Flickr. I can count on one hand the number of times I have considered a pic (taken by anyone, at any time in my life since I was about 5 years old) that shows my face to be good, and that includes that one.

Back of the head pics are fine though:)

Chromis
July 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
I like having my picture taken but I couldn't say anytime anyplace because because I'd still be leary of creepazoid types. While I have no trouble with having pictures of my face being taken, I chose to only put pictures of the the back of my head or with my face obscured by a book or the like out in public on the internet. This is not because I hate my face, but because I like my privacy!

trolleypup
July 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty comfortable with having my picture taken...there was a time when I would (not really avoid but) not make an effort to be in pictures. That changed when I figured out that most of my social interaction was via the internet, and sharing pictures made for better interactions.

Also, for many years, I considered myself an ugly duckling...and it has taken years of effort to convince me that I enhance an image rather than detracting.

Posed or unposed, some good, some bad, either way. I haven't found a typical situation/photographer combination that reliably gets the best images...best luck with simply taking lots of pictures.

Oh, and I better be comfortable with having my picture taken by strangers...I get photographed tens to hundreds of times a day at work.

Ohio Sky
July 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I don't think of myself as being unattractive, but I don't think I've ever liked the way I look in any photo.

For some reason I always look fat (I'm not, just something about the way I'm shaped I guess) and my complexion always looks waaay paler than it really is and very very red. And I'm always making some weird face that accentuates all my insecurities. :o

I'm also one of those weird people whose eyes are always red even with all the red-eye reduction crap.:twisted:

daydreamer
July 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
I picked "cheese", heheh -- although I don't really mind having my picture taken, I usually look bad in them unless I take it myself (and then it takes a few times!). I'm not inherently very photogenic.

Paniscus
July 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
I don't mind my picture taken, it's the "let's show everyone" that I need some control over. As long as I think I look *OK* in the picture, then I'm OK. Problem is, I take a lot of really baaaddd pictures :poot:

Takethevitamin
July 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
If I have the final say on when, where, how, from what direction, in what pose, and what on earth I look like at the moment - then absolutely.

sassystyle
July 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I used to hate it, but now, I think it's really important to step out from behind the camera more. :)

Delenn
July 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I really don't like having my picture taken, I'm not sure why. It's not because I don't like how I look, I really can't pinpoint it. I was scouted for modeling back in college and I just laughed in the person's face because I was like "wow, you're talking to the wrong person!"

I don't mind the hair shots but I'm really lazy about keeping them updated or even starting an LHC album. One day I'll get around to it... maybe. ;)

theanti
September 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
ack! I hate be photographed, I'm terribly non-photogenic. I know we are our own worst critic, but EEK! lol I always look like I have a double chin in pics, regardless of the fact that I dont. :)

cindy58
September 12th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I think we're too hard on ourselves -- if we don't like the pic now, look back at it in a few years and we'll say, "wow, I looked good there". So -- go ahead and take some!

Gecko
September 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I hate it.... I always look dumb and when I smile I close eyes. If I was comfortable enough to pose how I do when I'm by myself in front of the mirror I wouldn't mind, but I can't.

Melein
September 13th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I look terrible in photographs - aside from those I've had to have taken (for work, passports and so forth) I think the blurry one in my profile is the only picture of myself I have since I was 10 or 11.

...and that's a length picture, and doesn't show my face, so it doesn't really count. ;)

lolar
January 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Much prefer back of head!!

Seeshami
January 13th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I use to, my mother had told me to keep my hair out of my face for the school picture and when I pushed it over my shoulders the photographer ran up grabbed my bottom jaw in a death grip and shook my face yelling at me to leave it alone, I was terrified when she flipped it back forward at the disapointment my mom would have when she got them. I did tell my mom that same afternoon that I was to scared to flip it back and I am pretty sure she ripped that photographers face off verbally. I never smiled for another professional photo till I got married 16 years later.

I am also a notorious crabby face photographee, so generally my family and friends take pictures of me when I am laughing or being ridiculous.

JCFantasy23
March 7th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I dislike my photo taken because I cringe when I see myself on film, I really need to lose weight and its depressing

Venefica
May 24th, 2013, 06:52 AM
I like being photographed, no problem, I love to have my picture taken and to take pictures of others as well.

jacqueline101
May 25th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I like it no matter where.

Angelica
May 27th, 2013, 06:17 AM
I don't like photographs of myself. My hair is too pathetic to post photographs of it here on this board because so many of you have wonderful hair. I personally dislike photographs because I seldom look good in them. I look more over weight than I am in real life in photos and I just don't find them very flattering at all. I never seem to be able to pose well for them either. However my wedding photographs were lovely :)

thistledown
May 28th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I hate being photographed. I've been known to hide behind things even LOL I always think I look fat or manish or just really bloody awful. I try to oblige if I never have to actually see the picture, I still don't like it though, and I will take pics with my phone of my hair but thats about it.
Vanessa

PolarCathy
May 28th, 2013, 03:33 AM
I hate it and avoid at all costs, to the extent that I leave the scene of the crime (even good parties) when it comes to taking pictures. And I avoid the folks who still try; one of the best ways for an otherwise sympathetic person to get me avoid them is by forcing me to be in pictures (My good friends never force it... they know).

What seems to help these days though is taking more pics of myself. I started it for the "what are you wearing" thread, and by now I'm sometimes even able to smile into the camera. My smile is still :p but it's improving.