PDA

View Full Version : Encouragement/advice needed!

mellie
July 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I recently cut my hair to shoulder length, and I regret it! I did it for two reasons:

1) for my DH, who says he is always "choking" on it at night (my fault, I know, I should probably braid it before going to sleep) and it's always getting in his face/mouth, etc. (I love keeping it down because it's so pretty that way!)

2) for the summer, because it is so thick that it gets really hot when long, even in updos

Now I look back at my pre-cut photos and sigh.... So, can you offer me some encouragement and advice to grow it back again? Thanks!!!

Pre-cut, a few years back:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=423&pictureid=17240

And now:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=423&pictureid=17250

mommy2one05
July 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
It will be ok. Hair will grow back. Just be patient. And look at it on the bright side by cutting your hair now you will have extremely healthy hair as it grows since you are a member on LHC and I am sure you know how to treat the hair nice. Good Luck!

B.T.Carolus
July 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Encouragement: Don't worry it will grow back, and it will grow back better than before because you now get to take great care of the new hair growing in.

Advice: have you tried the monistat thread? Plus, do you sleep in a braid? That might keep it out of the DH's air passages (plus when you wake up it is so much easier to brush out).

spidermom
July 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
From what I can see it looks really good. Enjoy it at this length because it won't last long. As soon as I learn a variety of things to do with my hair, it gets longer and nothing works anymore, which can be very frustrating.

skay
July 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hi Mellie,

First, your hair looks nice and healthy!

Next, I know what you mean.

Here's how I look at it:

In my case, I've had longish hair many times in life. Thus, I know I can grow long hair pretty easily (but now I want healthy AND long. Yes, I want it all. LOL.).

Sounds like you have that "knowledge/experience" as well?

You've done it before. You can do it again. :)

SweetPea88
July 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I honestly think it looks great in both of the pictures. Don't worry, it will grow back just be patient. Now you have time to take the best care of it while it grows and it'll be so much healthier the next time you reach that length. :flower:

Pierre
July 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Very pretty! It won't be long before it grows back.

I braid my hair in two Dutch braids, and I can go out in 35 °C and not notice the heat. You may find Belgian rope braids easier, as your hair is straighter than mine.

For sleeping, I pile the hair on top and put a Buff on, unless it's braided, in which case I just put the Buff over the braids.

Vainjane
July 20th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I have done this before myself. My hair was MBL & I wanted a Chin length bob for summer & DH said "why have it long if it is always up?". The cut was horrid, my earlobes were showing! :(:eek:
It is now back to MBL growing toward waist.
So, hang in there. ;) Your hair is georgious & healthy & will be growing faster than a weed!

helpmegro
July 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I can't see the pics in the original post, but I have the same issue - cut my hair, not at shoulder length, starting to regret hacking it off. Originally about BSL... now I aspire to BSL which is actually a bit short for me (until this chop!). I'd like to eventually get to about Waist length (and hope that I don't have another stupidity lapse and decide to chop again). Sadly... my hair is layered, so the front is just hitting chin length when it's wavy and just past it when it's blown straight. I sleep with a satin sleep bonnet, comb and don't brush, cut out the SLS shampoos, do scalp massages... and my hair was healthy to begin with, though frizzy and dry at the ends while oily at the scalp.

Sigh. I guess we'll be growing out together!

WaimeaWahine
July 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I did it for two reasons:

1) for my DH, who says he is always "choking" on it at night (my fault, I know, I should probably braid it before going to sleep) and it's always getting in his face/mouth, etc. (I love keeping it down because it's so pretty that way!)

2) for the summer, because it is so thick that it gets really hot when long, even in updos.

I think while growing it out again you may wish to explore those reasons because they'll be back soon enough. :)

Sleeping with hair down can cause all kinds of problems. Find what works best for you and stick with it. I either bun mine or drape my pony tail over the top of the head of my futon.

Part of growing long hair is learning to live with hair everywhere. (I'm considering a hair net for around the house!) If it's important to you, try to help your DH understand and find ways to help.

You shouldn't get too hot with hair up.... Wet it down and bun it at the back maybe... Think of what a wonderful scarf it will make in the Winter...
It's an excuse to buy a pretty handheld fan...

wintersun99
July 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM

crebbsgirl
July 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Mellie, your hair is gorgeous! It will grow back in no time, if you want it to. I second the advice to check out the Monistat thread if you're feeling discouraged. Also, as for the sleeping issue, I sleep with my hair tucked up in a silk sleep cap, that way my fiance doesn't have to deal with choking on my hair. Also, I move around alot in my sleep, so it eliminates the tangle issue too. Good luck!

mellie
July 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone! Your are all so kind! That helped me out! :-)