PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to cut my hair!

Lisa R
February 25th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Hi all,

Just letting you know that I'm going to cut my BSL hair. Not sure how short but I don't think I want it shorter than APL (I think!).

I'm just over hair right now and have been for a while. I have so much re-growth still growing from 2 years ago when I lost half of it after having my first baby. I'm now expecting our second baby (Yay!!) and I'm pretty confident I'm going to lose a HUGE amount of my hair again. I just don't have the desire to have long hair anymore. That will most likely change down the track as it always does but for now I want it a bit shorter. I'm not paying much attention to it at all and I know I will pay even less attention when child #2 comes along this year. I am actually finding BSL an annoying length. I liked it at APL and a bit below but BSL is getting scraggly and just plain annoying. My re-growth is just under my shoulders so it thins out quite a bit after that.

I really don't like how I just can't stick with a hair goal. I was aiming for waist later this year but I just don't have that desire anymore. I know that I'm going to go from short to longish for the rest of my life. That's just me and what I do. I get sick of my hair and want something different then I cut it. Then a few months or years down the track I want it long again. Back and forth back and forth. I don't think I'm the only one in that boat though!

Thanks for listening to me ramble! I've got my hair appointment booked in three weeks time. Will see if I change my mind. Probably not too much. I just have to decide what length I want.

Thanks for reading!!

LittleOrca
February 26th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Good luck. I hope you like whatever you do with it.

NormaJean
February 26th, 2012, 12:11 AM
If it's not fun anymore, there's no reason to keep growing it! It's good that you've given yourself some time to think about it, but it sounds like you've made up your mind. :) Enjoy your new 'do!

Nephele
February 26th, 2012, 12:20 AM
It's your hair and you have to do whatever makes you happy!

duchesswannabe
February 26th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Best of luck with your growing family and your haircut, if you should do it. You have a lot to do and experience and enjoy. :)

paper
February 26th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Good luck! Do what makes you happy. APL is still long, to me. You will still be able to do updo's, its a good length.

lostchyld
February 26th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I can totally relate to this. If I didn't enjoy my updo's more than my pixie, I'd still have a pixie. My hair is long because I can't stand not being able to do a bun or fold my french braid up over the back of my head, so I'm destined for midback. On the other hand, unless I don't stop growing at midback, I'll probably chop it back to at least chin length someday. If I get down past waist and like it there, it'll probably never come off again. (I say that now)

Good luck with your hair and congratulations on baby #2.

jacqueline101
February 26th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I hope your happy with your choice.

Sunny_side_up
February 26th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Whatever you decide, as long as you enjoy your hair then thats all that matters. A change can be a good thing and a fresh start with hair can give you a boost! Or maintaining a length that keeps you happy. There are many other goals & interests in life to focus on ;)

spidermom
February 26th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Enjoy that hair cut. I didn't acquire the patience to leave my hair alone and let it grow until I was in my mid-40s, even though I always wanted extra-long hair. When the time is right, you can grow your hair long.

TeaEarlGreyHot
February 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I, too, lost a TON of hair after my first baby was born. So much that I looked like I had a receding hairline. After my second I didn't lose hair... not until he was 3 years old! Now I'm dealing with regrowth now and luckily I henna my hair and those little hairs stay tamed and blended. I will say that those hairs grew in with a much different texture, I feel like I went through chemo!

Lisa R
February 27th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks for your reply ladies! Appreciate it:)

bettylibertine
February 27th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Good luck and enjoy your new cut! :flower:

Ceridwen Iris
February 27th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Sounds a lot like me, and I've never considered my approach to my hair to be something to apologize for. I grow it until it annoys me, or I want a change, then I cut it off or dye it or whatever. This is the longest I've had it in a very long time but as soon as I feel I 'd be happier with something else, I won't have any problem making the change.

DarkAlice
February 27th, 2012, 06:18 AM
how do babies pull out hair i didn't think they were strong enough do they hang off ur hair like ropes haha

Amber_Maiden
February 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Do what makes you happy! Hope it works out!

alyanna
February 27th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Good luck with whatever you choose to do Lisa R.

I just wanted to say that, you know, you may not have a shed this time. You never know. My first pregnancy and baby, were soooo different than the second time around. Plus you might have a bit of thickening and a nice growth spurt during pregnancy (congrats by the way!). Just to play devil's advocate, and not putting pressure here in any way, you could wait and see. If your hair is falling out in handfuls, by all means, chop it off into a bob and wait out the storm. Otherwise, you could wait because there is a chance you might end up with fuller, longer hair.

Like I said, I totally love shorter hair too, and my hair is on the thin side, so I completely understand fearing the shed and wanting to chop. :blossom:

CarpeDM
February 27th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I agree that APL is still long and I can also relate with the BSL annoying length, at APL your hair doesn't get stuck in places and it still looks thicker, it sounds like you are making the right decision for yourself, best wishes with the second baby!!!

Sammich
February 27th, 2012, 07:37 AM
You remind me of me. I hope you enjoy the cut. :) I always enjoy every single one of my cuts.

I ALWAYS change my hair around. :p Always. At the moment I have extensions and I'm actually LOVING it, and don't ever want to change, except for the colour maybe.

This is a strange new feeling for me. LOL. Perhaps you could try a wig or some extensions for a while, this might change your mind, but if you don't want to change your mind you don't need to follow my suggestion. :p

spidermom
February 27th, 2012, 10:49 AM
how do babies pull out hair i didn't think they were strong enough do they hang off ur hair like ropes haha

Not all of them do, but if I had just a few little hairs straying out of my ponytail, baby (both my babies at different times) would grab them with grubby, sticky little fingers and pull them out. And if my hair was down, oh yes - baby would grab on like a little monkey swinging from vines.

That's why I had short hair cuts after each of my babies. I don't remember a lot of shedding, but the youngest baby is 26 now, so that may be why I don't remember.

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Post birth hair loss is normal....just FYI. If, however, it lasts longer than 4-6 months, you could have a hormonal issue going on. That is not that uncommon in women, post birth (gestation) or post-breastfeeding, whichever comes last.

What happens is during pregnancy all those hormones affect shedding and volume tends to thicken. Then around 2 months after birth or breastfeeding, whichever is last, the hair begins shedding, for about 3 months, give or take. The hair is going back to its "normal" volume. If it lasts much longer than 3 months for all this shedding, you may be having a hormonal problem. Once that problem is corrected, if this happens to you, then your hair will go back to normal eventually.

This is fairly well documented in most baby books, I have found.

heidi w.

MermaidTresses
February 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM
best of luck to you....enjoy your time at the salon...get a nice scalp massage, relax a bit:) Post pictures of the end result:)

Lisa R
February 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks again for all your encouragement and advise. Very helpful!

I like what Spidermom said in regards to her not being ready till she was in her 40's. Yep, I don't have the patience right now to grow my hair extra-long but like herself maybe when I'm in my forties or late thirties I will have that patience. At least my hair won't be changing heaps with giving birth to children and breastfeeding. Hopefully by then the re-growth will be at a good length as well. We'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again for all the comments. Much appreciated:)

PixxieStix
February 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Best of luck on your endeavors. There is nothing quite like a good time at the salon, whether it be a trim or a cut that makes your hair something you are happier with. :) And congratulations on baby number 2!

KrystalPixie
April 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Bump! Did you get it cut? Do you like it?

spidermom
April 23rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Inquiring minds NEED to know.

Carrie Ingalls
April 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm glad I read through the whole thread before replying (I don't always notice the dates). That would have been embarrassing.

If you cut it then "pictures or it didn't happen!" :)

Lisa R
October 27th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Hi ladies,

I'm so sorry I didn't realise I had replies to my post made a few months after my initial post back in February 2012 and people wanting to see pics. You can see pics of my current hair length in my album. I've kept it between apl and shoulder length for the past year or so. I did shed after having baby number two but definitely not as much as first baby. Phew! It's been a year since baby has come and I feel like my shedding is continuing but not too drastic. I think it's shedding cause it's been years since I haven't been affected by hormones so not sure what normal daily shedding is like.

I was away from LHC for ages as life just got in the way. I'm kinda back now. Trying for the umpteenth time to grow my hair extra long once and for all. Would like waist to hip length if possible. Just gotta try it at least once in my life before menopause and old age hits. I have thin hair and I don't know how my hair will go as I get older so gotta enjoy it now. I have tonnes of regrowth about ear length. I'm guessing as my hair grows it will look quite thin down the bottom like last time I was around BSL. I have vowed to myself if that happens again I will just reach a length like somewhere between BSL and waist and trim and maintain and wait for the regrowth and 'thickness' to travel down. I have to or else I'm just going to end up cutting it short again and keep repeating myself. My hair won't be back to its normal 'thickness' self for a few years.

Happy hair growing everyone!!:)

ositarosita
October 27th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Congrats on baby number 2 and as far as the hair is concerned you have to do what makes you happy... there's nothing wrong yo-yoing between lengths so long as your comfortable and happy.

alyanna
October 28th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Good to have you back, Lisa R.

Tini'sNewHair
October 28th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Ive always cut my hair when i got pregnant, i have two kids as well, my youngest is now a year and a half. Last dramatic haircut was when i was pregnant with #2 around 7 months into the pregnancy and then i decided to start growing back from there. Im at BSL now, such an annoying length because it dosnt just sit down the back, it always comes forward to much and a LOT of it or gets caught in the armpits etc. Anyhow, congrats and welcome back to growing it out again :) I plan to get to waist and mantain there as well until im happy enough with my hair line :) Cheers

vindo
October 28th, 2013, 05:25 AM
I know what you mean about the postpartum shed! It can ruin so much progress. I annoyingly also shed everytime my son does not nurse for a few days (he does that when he has a stuffy nose) because my body thinks we are weaning :(

It also sounds like you just don't want long hair all that much so I think it is the right thing for you.
All the best with your next baby!

Lisa R
October 28th, 2013, 06:44 AM
I think emichiee missed my most recent post!!!!:)

DweamGoiL
October 28th, 2013, 08:22 AM
The most important thing is that you enjoy whatever you are currently doing. When I had my youngest daughter, I had grown my hair to TBL and then could not take the time to let it dry for 2+ hours, comb it out and brush it for a half hour every night, do treatments, etc. While I was breastfeeding, I barely had time to go to the bathroom so the hair needed to take a back seat. I cut it to above SL. I didn't regret it. It was the right thing to do at the time, and now, 9 years later, I am regrowing it again, but not back to TBL. I am happy with MBL, and am tempted to do WL, but we'll see.

Point is: don't stress it...just go with it. Hair will grow back, and it should be enjoyable and hassle free. Congrats on your 2nd baby :)

Marika
October 28th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Lisa, congratulations on your babies and happy growing!:blossom:

I'm about to have a baby girl any day now and I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about postpartum shedding because my hair is already a lot thinner than it was 2 years ago (due to rapid weightloss). We'll see what happens... Obviously the baby comes first now!:heartbeat My plan is to bun my hair and just forget it. That's the fastest way of growing hair!:p

vindo
October 28th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I think emichiee missed my most recent post!!!!:)

I think she did cause she usually uses an iPod to go online!

Just disregard what I said then and congrats! :flower:

Lisa R
October 29th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Hehehe don't worry emichiee!!!

Stray_mind
October 29th, 2013, 06:18 AM
If APL will make you happy with your hair then go for it :) You can allways grow it back if you want.