PDA

View Full Version : grapeseed oil?

amanda_the_tall
February 25th, 2012, 08:45 PM
i was just wondering if anyone has had experience with using grapeseed oil on their hair/scalp. since oiling your hair is supposed to help with moisture retention, would grapeseed oil be any good, since it's a "lighter" oil? has anyone had any problems with breakouts on the scalp etc. with this oil?

rock007junkie
February 25th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I've used this oil with no problems. It's one of my favorites to use specially on my length. Makes it really soft and shiny.

amanda_the_tall
February 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
thanks rock007junkie! how much of the oil do you usually use on your hair? and how long does a bottle last you?

GRU
February 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM
This is one my my hair's fave oils. How much you use and how often is entirely up to you -- fine hair usually only needs the tiniest bit of oil.

iloveyourstory
February 26th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Don't be like me and put so much oil into your hair that you look like a homeless person who hasn't bathed for days.

ktani
February 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I have not used grapeseed oil but I did use safflower oil. I found it washed out of my hair very very gradually (I do not clarify) when I stopped using it, and I stoppped using the very small amount I had used because it left my hair tangly.

Both are drying or resinous oils, which I recommend not be used too often because they can be more difficult to remove than nondrying oils, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190 See the lists linked at the bottom of the artricle and for the second list, click on iodine value.

Safflower oil has a higher iodine value than grapeseed oil and would be more drying or resinous of the two.

Sillage
February 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I didn't like grapeseed oil for my hair but it didn't break me out like coconut or EVOO.

longcurlygirl<3
February 26th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I <3 grapeseed and sweet almond oil. They make my hair shiny and nice. :)

LocustSpawning
February 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Grapeseed oil is one of the first oils I ever used on my hair. I had great results with it for a while but then stopped using it for some reason. Maybe I will start it up again :) Still have about 250ml left! It's good if you tend to over use oils.

annamoonfairy
February 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I only lightly oil the ends of my hair once a month.

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I like it as a carrier oil.

roxee
February 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I mix grapeseed oil with castor oil on my scalp twice a week and haven't experieced any breakouts, grapeseed oil is also pretty easy to wash out of your hair.

LadyinTheMeads
February 26th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I love grapeseed oil for French/Dutch braiding. My hair tends to catch and tangle on itself and the grapeseed oil eliminates that problem. I use maybe 2 teaspoons from scalp to ends. The greasiness doesn't show because it's braided.

sugarpixie10988
February 26th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Grapeseed oil is my second favorite oil for my hair (coconut is my first choice). I've used it on my skin too and it doesn't break me out, and I have very acne prone skin. I've heard it can actually help with acne!