PDA

View Full Version : fork lovers weigh in...

ravenheather
February 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM
So what is your all time favorite fork? Even better if it works well for fine or slippery hair.

lostchyld
February 25th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I don't know which is my favorite. I just got several new ones from Raven's Lair that are wonderful, but a little too long for my hair right now. I'll have to go back and custom order some smaller ones for my bun. The ones I have work well for my French Twist and my hair isn't long enough yet to do much else with.

I do really like the plain Moirai. They're very short, maybe 3 inches or less, IIRC. They'll hold my bun nicely and together they hold the French Twist really well.

My fork from Shymali Llamas does ok if I'm not styling too tightly, but it's got textured prongs that I feel are icky for my hair. I think I'll take the dangles off (they're dolphins and absolutely cannot be set aside) and have them added to something else.

ravenheather
February 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I don't know which is my favorite. I just got several new ones from Raven's Lair that are wonderful, but a little too long for my hair right now. I'll have to go back and custom order some smaller ones for my bun. The ones I have work well for my French Twist and my hair isn't long enough yet to do much else with.

I do really like the plain Moirai. They're very short, maybe 3 inches or less, IIRC. They'll hold my bun nicely and together they hold the French Twist really well.

My fork from Shymali Llamas does ok if I'm not styling too tightly, but it's got textured prongs that I feel are icky for my hair. I think I'll take the dangles off (they're dolphins and absolutely cannot be set aside) and have them added to something else.

How long are the ones that you're using for a french twist? We are roughly the same length.

lostchyld
February 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM
When I use a single fork for my French Twist I like 4-5 inches to feel secure. 3.5 works ok, but I don't like any wiggle at the bottom, and I have trouble getting the bottom secure with a fork that short. 3.5 works best for a basic bun. I think there's quite a bit of growing room with the lengths I prefer, but we'll see as my hair gets longer.

Tabitha
February 25th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I have rather too many forks but by far the best for fine and/or slippery hair (mine is both) IMO are Quattro metal ones. They don't feel rough or catch in the hair but the "microgroove technology" really does work to stop them sliding out. For hair that is thin in volume as well as fine, they are great because the prongs are so slim.

karli
February 25th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have one quattro 4-prong that I like, it's light weight and holds well.. But my favourite is Baerries nautilus, no need to readjust during the whole day.. Love them and recently ordered a couple of new ones as I dropped my old one one the floor :/

ravenheather
February 25th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm already drooling over the sodalite 4 prong quattro. It'll be awhile before I can drop that kind of money for a toy though.

patienceneeded
February 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I love the forks made by Jeterforks on etsy. They have a great shape to them, they fit really comfortably against the head. I have a few other forks that I've had since I was in college, but I rarely wear them. Jeterforks are great, and also inexpensive.

I would love a Ravenscroft moon fork, but can't really afford one. It's just a bit too much for a hair toy. Maybe I can talk DH into it when our tax return comes through...

Amber_Maiden
February 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Grahtoe studio forks. Amazing colours, amazing strength. Nice people.

bunzfan
February 26th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I'm glad someone mentioned jeter forks i have more forks made by them than anybody else, their work is flawless i have about 4 of their forks they hold great because the prongs are quite thick. I have a 4 prong tulipwood,3 prong red heart, and a maple wood one to.

Phalaenopsis
February 26th, 2012, 05:33 AM
60th street forks, 3-prong or even 4-prong.
You can trust me on this one :)

Mina17
February 26th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I like Grahtoe and 60th Street. Forks with thinner, sharper prongs work best for me.

ravenheather
February 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
60th street forks, 3-prong or even 4-prong.
You can trust me on this one :)

I'm thinking the first should be a 60th street. Dymond wood for damp hair. I don't know that I have enough hair yet for a 4 prong, so maybe a 3.

Vanilla
February 26th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I like my 3 prong gratoestudio fork. I also have 2 prong forks that I got while in Hawaii that have thinner tines.

Delila
February 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I've got a few three prong, curved-to-the-shape-of-my-head forks that are my absolute favorites. They're so comfortable I really haven't worn anything else for some months now.

One's green, I think it is by 60th street, the other's a pretty, brown mystery, both about 6". The second one, IIRC, I got it in a swap, and I just don't remember the maker. (more's the pity, I really like it.)