PDA

View Full Version : Updos that don't leave kinks

Tangles
July 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I have been wearing more buns lately to disguise the fact that I'm not yet at APL (yay for having the longest torso in the world!)

The problem is that I get kinks galore when I wear my hair in a bun continuously (throughout the day but esp. for 2/3 days in a row). When I take my hair down, it has nasty "flips" and bends, rendering me incapable of wearing it down, and even making my hair look shorter than it is.

What are some easy updos that don't cause kinks, or even smooth the hair out a bit? French twists don't hold too well on me...

eadwine
July 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I think everything leaves kinks pretty much, a low pony might not, but then you have the band kink there, or wear a barette. But yeah that is not "up".

Periwinkle
July 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Do you have a ficcare/fakkare/something you could use to hold in the same way?

There's only one updo I use that doesn't leave kinks. This is what I do: gather all hair into a ponytail at the nape of the neck (don't tie it with an elastic). Grab the length and wrap it around the base as many times as it'll go, making each coil on the outside of the last one. Grab the whole thing and flip it up like a figure 8, only it'll be quite messy and loose. Grab clip, secure.

Your hair is shorter than mine, but this is quite a messy style so you could probably manage something similar and you wouldn't know the difference. I use a fakkare from boots that holds my hair quite loosely but still securely.

Lady Godiva
July 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Kinks, flips, bends and dings; they're a regular part of my hair type anymore. :sigh:

spidermom
July 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Don't twist but wrap hair in the same way that you would wrap a cinnamon bun. Use a medium claw clip at the base of your hair "donut". The upper hair will spill over the clip so be sure you rotate the claw clip so that the spring area points downward.

This makes for a very pretty and relatively large-looking sort of bun and best of all -- no kinks whatsoever.

mommy2one05
July 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry no help here. I fight the hair kinks and bends alot.

I forgot what about after you take it down using some type of hair mist (either commercial or homemade) or even just mist with plain water?

sexyjacksparrow
July 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Same here. I've never been one of those people who have their hair up for part of the day and then take it down and it looks ok. Even if it's only up for an hour, there's kinks.

Kerry xx

dorothea-brooke
July 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I think you should embrace the kinks! :D But seriously -- I don't know if your hair is long enough yet to do some braided buns? Then you'll have nice waves rather than whirly-swirly kinks when you let it down....

dorothea

LadyLongLocks
August 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I think you are more likely to get the bumps and kinks if your hair is freshly washed and dried. Try to wear it down on the day you wash and then wear a loose bun supported with many small jaw clips the next day. I'm sure it depends on hair length, type and tools you are using to hold the hair too. The tighter the hair is twisted the harder you need to put the hair "tool" in which causes more bumps. If this happens to me I can spray mist my hair in the spots and use a brush and hairdryer. Some hair may respond to the misting only.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/BANNERS%20FOR%20LINKING/sig2-2lhc.jpg

Xandergrammy
August 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
My buns never leave kinks. Am I doing something wrong? :gabigrin:

FrannyG
August 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM
My hair is so straight that bun waves only last for about five minutes in my hair, but I do get some kinks that last. I simply detangle and comb my hair, spritz the kinky area with distilled water from my mister, smooth it with my hand and voila, kink gone.

Anje
August 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
No help here. I find that buns with less twisting kink less, but there's always some. Orchid wraps give me the least (not sure if your hair is long enough), but the ends always turn upward, all the same.

Vicky Veiss
August 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Huh... I don't notice kinks from updos either. Just large-scale waves superimposed on my natural finger-size waves. I actually like the way that looks. But then I usually don't take my hair down until bedtime!

I don't use any elastics or pins, BTW, just a Ficcare or a Flexi-8. I don't twist very tightly except on the first coil, and that twist relaxes out somewhat as I continue wrapping my length around the base.

Carolyn
August 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
It's just part of bunning for me. Sometimes I get nice even bun waves or curls with a cinnamon bun but I never know when it will happen. I make my cinnamon buns the same way each time so I don't know what the variable is. Damp bunning and dry bunning leave me with close to the same wave-age. Spritzing with water doesn't help. I still have some waves. I hate the ponytail band kink :( almost as much as braid waves. So it's clean, day 1 hair worn down and nice or buns and braids until I wash again. No getting around it.

plainjanegirl
August 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM
The only way I have found to get rid of them is by using my water spray bottle and basically getting my hair completely wet and combing them out. It is so aggravating. My hair wis mostly straight but loves taking on other shapes and if I want the braid waves then they turn out lousy...go figure.

Friesiangirl
August 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I often get them if I use an elastic. If I just put it up in a clip, then I don't tend to have as many. I think this may be due to the tension on the hair. The higher the tension over the arc of the shape, the more the hair will take on the shape. Maybe I'm nuts :)

Hayley

KarenLynn
August 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
In my experience, non-twisted buns and lazy French twists seem to do ok. The former has instructions somewhere around here under another name, posted by Savi. The latter is on the old board and no longer available. Keep an eye on the style dictionary threads, it'll hopefully be posted somewhere eventually.