PDA

View Full Version : difference in AU ingredient list - help.

jaquelines
February 25th, 2012, 05:13 AM
I had great results with HSR up until last month when I`ve ordered from the first time AU from their german online store. Until now I still had a batch from US. At the beginning I thought maybe I have build up so I started searching and found ktani`s post about some oils being "drying" . I said hmmm...ok...so I`ve switched to GPB. While waiting now with my GPB condish in my hair, I have checked HSR`s ingredients list and to my big surprise, they differ on all 3 sites of aubrey organics - on the UK, US and DE site.
The UK and the DE are almost similar except the ingredients which I have highlighted, the US version is more different. The order of the ingredients is not the same and it has other ingredients added. While I have started to highlight the differences, after the 3rd one I stopped, because obviously it`s a big difference between the US and the UK/DE version.

I would like to find out why is there a difference and how it could affect the hair.

And, since we are already here, I am confused about "drying oils" . If this conditioner supposed to be "moisturizing" , why to they add oils that are drying ??

US - Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter)*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) extract, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, glycerin, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, rosa rubignosa (Rosa Mosqueta®) seed oil*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, tocopheryl acetate, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, melissa officinalis (balm mint) leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, angelica archangelica extract, chrysanthemum sinense flower extract, magnolia biondii flower extract, ascorbic acid. *Organic

UK - Aqua, Butyrospermum Parkii, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis, Glyceryl Linoleate, Glyceryl Linolenate, Glycerin, Triticum Vulgare Oil, Hamamelis Virginiana, Simmondsia Chinensis*, Rosa Moschata Oil*, Foeniculum Vulgare, Humulus Lupulus Extract, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Viscum Album, Anthemis Nobilis Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Chrysanthemum Parthenium Extract, Angelica Acutiloba Extract, Forsythia Suspensa Fruit Extract, Magnolia Biondii Extract, Lonicera Japonica Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Daucus Carota Oil, Citrus Grandis, Retinyl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid.

DE - Aqua, Butyrospernum parkii*, Cetyl Alcohol from coconut oil, Aloe barbadensis*, Glyceryl Linoleate, Glyceryl Linolenate, Glycerin, Triticum vulgare oil, Hamamelis Virginiana, Simmondsia chinensis*, Rosa Moschata oil*, Foeniculum vulgare, Hydrolized Lactalbumin, Humulus lupulus extract, Melissa officinalis extract, Viscum album extract, Anthemis nobilis extract, Achillea millefolium extract, Chrysanthemum parthenium extract, Angelica acutiloba extract, Forsythia suspensa fruit extract, Magnolia biondii extract, lonicera japonica oil, Tocopherol Acetate, Retyinyl Palmitate, Daucus carota oil, Citrus grandis, Retinyl acetate, Ascorbid acid.

ktani
February 25th, 2012, 06:15 AM
It is a heavy conditioner in all 3 versions, if you look at the main ingredients. Cetyl alcohol is waxy, and so is shea butter. Then you have the drying oil wheat germ oil. It is drying because it turns resinous on exposure to oxygen and can require clarifying to remove. It can build-up more substantially than other oils because of its resinous nature, which can make hair dry if it is not removed. All build-up can make hair drier.

ETA: It also contains jojoba oil, a liquid wax, and another drying oil, rosehip seed oil.

ETA:2 You can check out an oil in the lists linked at the bottom of the article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190.

What I find annoying about such ingredient lists is that unless you remember all of the Latin names, you have to look them up too, to know the common names, in 2 of the versions.

Soybean oil is also a drying oil.

ETA:3 The UK and DE versions are a little less heavy on the amount of waxy ingredients than the U.S. one. The extracts can cause build-up too. Hops for instance contains resins.

jaquelines
February 25th, 2012, 08:11 AM
It is a heavy conditioner in all 3 versions, if you look at the main ingredients. Cetyl alcohol is waxy, and so is shea butter. Then you have the drying oil wheat germ oil. It is drying because it turns resinous on exposure to oxygen and can require clarifying to remove. It can build-up more substantially than other oils because of its resinous nature, which can make hair dry if it is not removed. All build-up can make hair drier.

ETA: It also contains jojoba oil, a liquid wax, and another drying oil, rosehip seed oil.

ETA:2 You can check out an oil in the lists linked at the bottom of the article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190.

What I find annoying about such ingredient lists is that unless you remember all of the Latin names, you have to look them up too, to know the common names, in 2 of the versions.

Soybean oil is also a drying oil.

ETA:3 The UK and DE versions are a little less heavy on the amount of waxy ingredients than the U.S. one. The extracts can cause build-up too. Hops for instance contains resins.

In generally I was bothered about the fact that a moisturizing oil it`s actually drying, but if I understand well, it`s only becoming drying with multiple application/build up.

So, in fact - the US version is richer in ingredients, but can cause easier build up ? Right ?
I mean I already wash my hair every 3rd week with GBP shampoo ( sls free ) and I won`t mind build up if it nourishes the hair more.
But I was disturbed after the second wash, to notice that my hair is dryer. I guess I would have to withdrawn what I have just written. It`s not good if it gets dry by the second application. And what is weird, is that the "dryness" occurred with the german version , so the less heavy one. Not the US version.

ktani
February 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM
In generally I was bothered about the fact that a moisturizing oil it`s actually drying, but if I understand well, it`s only becoming drying with multiple application/build up.

So, in fact - the US version is richer in ingredients, but can cause easier build up ? Right ?
I mean I already wash my hair every 3rd week with GBP shampoo ( sls free ) and I won`t mind build up if it nourishes the hair more.
But I was disturbed after the second wash, to notice that my hair is dryer. I guess I would have to withdrawn what I have just written. It`s not good if it gets dry by the second application. And what is weird, is that the "dryness" occurred with the german version , so the less heavy one. Not the US version.

Conditioners are used to make hair more combable, smooth it, fill in gaps in the cuticle and in some cases moisturize by helping to hold moisture in the hair. This one can be problematic and has been for others, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84298.

All conditioners build-up on the hair. The formulations for this one do not seem to be winning combinations.

If you continue to use it, I suggest using less of it each time.

jaquelines
February 25th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Conditioners are used to make hair more combable, smooth it, fill in gaps in the cuticle and in some cases moisturize by helping to hold moisture in the hair. This one can be problematic and has been for others, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84298.

All conditioners build-up on the hair. The formulations for this one do not seem to be winning combinations.

If you continue to use it, I suggest using less of it each time.

thank you, ktani.

ktani
February 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM
thank you, ktani.

You are very welcome :).