PDA

View Full Version : 'Ethnic' (ie 4a/4b) hair products for 2a hair?

hototogisu
February 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM
There are a ton of 'ethnic' (ie: products for very curly 4a/4b hair) beauty supplies around Amsterdam, and I'm fascinated by them because (a) I love wandering through beauty supply stores and (b) I'm kind of a product addict. I can't help but think my next favourite deep conditioner is in one of those stores.

Does anyone with straighter hair types use 4a/4b products? I've read a lot about Lustrasilk Mango and Shea, and right now with my crunchy ends I really need to bring out the big guns!

sapphire-o
February 25th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I have 2a hair, but since that's just an indicator of the waves of your hair, not the condition, I don't think it's relevant. If your hair is dry or damaged, it can't hurt to try those. If you have smooth healthy hair it might just make it look greasy.

Is your crunchy ends due to damage or product buildup? If it's buildup you really just need to clarify it, instead of coating it with more stuff. I found that out the hard way.

hototogisu
February 25th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the tip, Sapphire! I also suffer from crunchy ends due to build up, but I know it's not the case this time because I clarified three times in a week doing honey treatments (!!!). It's just plain old dry hair this time.

islandboo
February 25th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I agree that it can't hurt to try them. My hair loves moisture so I tend to ignore concerns about heavy products making my hair lank and test them out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :)

skaempfer
February 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Pfff... I know lot's of women with 4a/b type hair that use Vatika, for example, and I use that. I think straighties can't get away with leave-ins the way kinkies and curlies can, but if you're talking about pre-poo and deep conditioning, I don't see why not?

naturally yours
February 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
My hair is 4a and I use mostly products that are not market towards black ethnic hair like tresemme, garnier, suave, herbal essense,etc. These are popular on hair boards that have mainly black women. Hair is hair and there isnt a such thing as ethic products( thats just marketing) in those products you can find ingredients thats in non ethnic products. if a products works it down to wheather the individuals hair like the combo of ingredients. Try them your hair might like them.