PDA

View Full Version : Hair is long, but doesn't seem long

ilovelonghair
July 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I cut my hair off at the small of my back earlier this year. It was extremely thin but now it is starting to thicken up. I cut my hair weekly (it grows fast) till the thickness will catch up with the lenght.
But strangely somehow it doesn't look as long as it is. If I wear my hair in a ponytail it does, but worn loose it doesn't. I don't have pictures yet, I'll try to get some tomorrow.
Does anyone else have this too?

Oh and I finally dared to leave it out in public and some friends have seen it but not even noticed it's much shorter, how weird is that? I guess maybe because it was already quite thin before (see signature), maybe that gives an illusion of shorter hair?

Calista
July 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
If I see someone with, say, tailbone-length hair that is very see-through from maybe BSL on then I don´t really see it as TBL. I guess I just look at where the bulk of the hair is. ;) Now that isn´t true for your hair at all - as far as I can judge from your signature your ends weren´t that thin at all.

I think for ourselves our hair is so important that every inch counts. Others simply don´t see it like that - your hair is still long - very long - to your friends and every one else.

spidermom
July 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
If I see someone with, say, tailbone-length hair that is very see-through from maybe BSL on then I donīt really see it as TBL.

I look at hair pretty much the same way. Once I trimmed my SIL's very thinned out hair from about mid-butt to hip, and it looked like so much more hair to me, I guess because it had a defined length and didn't wisp away to nothingness. But to her it felt like much less hair because she could no longer feel it tickling her bottom.

vampodrama
July 20th, 2008, 09:38 AM
it is true that other people see us much differently than we see ourselves - meaning that we are much more critical to ourselves than other people are. plus I think most people are too self-absorbed anyway to give much though to other people's hair, for example ;)

I think your hair is long and very pretty.

ilovelonghair
July 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Note: signature picture is before the Big Shedding. I'll take a new picture tomorrow, it's quite shocking if you'd compare it, but not as shocking as when I first cut it off.

eadwine
July 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I view it the same way as the others. Hair can be tailbone length, but if it is all thinned out, no, I don't even consider it tailbone. When it is more filled up it just looks like it is more length than when it's not.

Tangles
July 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Your hair looks all "filled in" up to about hip length. I think your taper is beautiful... not sure why you don't feel like a longhair?

aisling
July 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM
If we forget about thinness and so on, I think we often view our own hair as shorter than what it really is. I know I've both in real life and here on LHC thought that wow, that hair is long and nice when it's about tailbone, only to realise that my hair actually is the same length. I just don't view my hair as that long, it's easier to see on others that the hair really is long. I'm kind of blind for my own hair and I don't think I'm the only one.

morgwn
July 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
If we forget about thinness and so on, I think we often view our own hair as shorter than what it really is. I know I've both in real life and here on LHC thought that wow, that hair is long and nice when it's about tailbone, only to realise that my hair actually is the same length. I just don't view my hair as that long, it's easier to see on others that the hair really is long. I'm kind of blind for my own hair and I don't think I'm the only one.

Nope, you're definitely not the only one! :) I have found this also to be the case. I have found when I look at those who have BSL to waist-length hair I think it looks quite long and then when I look at mine, it just doesn't look as long, even though it is past BSL even when curly. I don't know if my view of my own hair will ever change.... :lol: It's just one of those things that goes along the lines of us being our own selves' most severe judges, I do suppose.

freznow
July 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm the same way. My hair's as good as waist or hip length in comparison to other people (meaning, if I saw someone with TB hair, I'd probably think that they have more hair than me). I think a lot may have to do with how we see our own hair. We never truly get a straight on view of our backsides. I have to look in mirrors or twist around, and that disrupts how I see my length.

As for other people, long is long and really after a certain point you have to make a sudden change of a foot or so to be noticed. (It's different when short, every inch counts then) So the only reactions you get are from people who haven't seen you in a while (/with your hair down!) or a drastic drastic cut.

And there's something about pony tails. If I wear my hair in a pony tail, I'm amazed at the length. It might have something to do with how we see it again? Same goes for a french braid, but that's juts because the braid looks 6 inches longer than normal.

ilovelonghair
July 21st, 2008, 01:18 AM
Well, my hair has reduced by half it lenght. I think after BSL it's a bit more thin (still got to take the picture), but at the nape it's growing in new and getting thicker.

tiny_teesha
July 21st, 2008, 03:35 AM
My hair is extremely thin the whole way through, and i have extreme taper. A few years ago my plait was 2 x as thick!!!! But i am maintaining at waste, and i will cut it to bsl because i want to get rid of the damage, then i will continue to grow again. It's such a long jorney to get to thickness!

FrannyG
July 21st, 2008, 06:26 AM
I think it's a common phenomenon for us to feel that our hair looks shorter than other peoples'. When my hair was very close to waist a few months ago, I really didn't think it looked long at all. I would see people with BSL length hair and think, "Wow, her/his hair is so long!", and then I would realize that my hair was even longer.

Now I look at the photos of my hair a few months ago, and I see that it was long. We just don't see ourselves the way others do.

As for other people not noticing that you cut your hair, I have found that to non-LHC people, long hair is long hair, and they don't notice much difference between hip and even classic! Hip length is still very long hair in the real world.

ilovelonghair
July 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
My hair is extremely thin the whole way through, and i have extreme taper. A few years ago my plait was 2 x as thick!!!! But i am maintaining at waste, and i will cut it to bsl because i want to get rid of the damage, then i will continue to grow again. It's such a long jorney to get to thickness!

Yes it is! Or you can do what I do: not cutting the complete taper off, but cutting weekly or monthly. I like that because I have always freshly cut ends (I call them blunt fairy tale ends :cheese:) I also S&D all the time. It helps a lot. I didn't want to cut my hair as short as where the thickness starts because I needs that taper bit to make a bigger bun. I just need a lot of patience, but I think next year it will be filled in and when it looks healthy at the lenght it is now, I will go for longer.

ilovelonghair
July 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Here is my 'new' hair:

Here you can see it's clearly past waist:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=17539

but here it doesn't show much:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=17540

vindo
September 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
If I see someone with, say, tailbone-length hair that is very see-through from maybe BSL on then I donīt really see it as TBL. I guess I just look at where the bulk of the hair is..

I look at hair pretty much the same way. Once I trimmed my SIL's very thinned out hair from about mid-butt to hip, and it looked like so much more hair to me, I guess because it had a defined length and didn't wisp away to nothingness. But to her it felt like much less hair because she could no longer feel it tickling her bottom.

That means my hair is actually midback length...and because I feel that way too I don't feel like my hair is long at all.

CaityBear
September 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
I also look at hair as where it starts to thin out. If the ends are thin...it just doesn't look as long.

It could also be the fact you just don't feel it's that long. I'm like that. I comb my hair before braiding it at night or after my hair dries from my shower and it really feels...like it should be shoulder length! It just seems so short. lol I'm hoping once it gets to hip I'll start to feel like I have long hair. haha

Arctic_Mama
September 3rd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Your new haircut is great - it looks so healthy and glossy! You're not crazy - I can see the exact same length of hair on someone else as I have had and comment on how long and lovely it is, but my own seems short and inadequate, LOL. We're more self-critical, and we see it everyday. I am still amazed when someone tells me my CURRENT hair is long - it's barely past my shoulders you crazy people! I feel one step away from bald!

Just goes to show how different our definitions become in a community like this. Waist length is 'kinda long'! :GRIN:

Little_Bird
September 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
I am in the same boat with you... My hair is waist lenght and still I don't feel it as long as it is. People are starting to tell me it's extremely long but to me it feels... short :p

At least I KNOW it's waist lenght... Will I ever see my hair as being very long? Hmmm... Let's see :) Just keep growing and someday it will be too long even for you hehe :p

:flower:

spidermom
September 3rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
I can't see the length in that dark shirt. Don't you have a white one?