PDA

View Full Version : every single year :/

amanda_the_tall
February 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM
for the past 3 to 4 years, right around this time, i have the uncontrollable urge to chop off my hair back to shoulder length. probably because i started to occasionally dye my hair 2 years ago, and it made my hair dry as a desert. the winter weather doesn't help either. so i usually get to around apl then i chop off the dryness, just for me to do something stupid (such as dying, or curling my hair) a few months later, then have to repeat the process next year. right now i have around 8 inches of dry hair from dye damage from last year, and my hair grows SUPER slow. i've barely had 2 inches of growth since the last time i dyed (july 2011). how do you lovely longhairs resist the never-ending desire to try to fix the dry ends? i pull my hair up alot, but it only seems to make the ends dryer and kinky (which, could just be a coincidence since the ends are getting older anyways, or that my hair just hates being in a bun). sorry for this super rant, i was just wondering if anyone else had the bad habit of cutting away damage, then creating more in an effort to have a hair type you're not genetically blessed with.

Jessfoz
February 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Moisturise, get moisture in those ends to keep your mind off it. Also maybe just a little trim, 1 cm off the ends to clean it up., I always feel fresher after that and a deep condition treatment after an overnight oil treatment.

Maybe see if monistat works for you seeing as so many swear by it?!

amanda_the_tall
February 24th, 2012, 08:59 PM
i've started using monistat, or the x-brand version. i just keep forgetting to put it on after a few days >.< lol thanks for the advice!

RapunzelKat
February 24th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I second trying to get some moisture in there ;) Have you tried mineral oil? My ends just loooove the stuff, it has actually helped me from having to trim as much as I thought would be necessary. :D Just my ends, though, the rest of my hair loves EVOO.
Also, maybe an SMT would help?

Definitely give it some extra pampering to see if that helps ;)
Good luck! I hate it when hair gets stuck in those difficult phases :p

Also, maybe try braiding instead of bunning? Maybe your hair would prefer it. :)

Oksana
February 25th, 2012, 03:56 AM
When I get an urge to cut I take my self out and buy some new hair products. I get really dry ends during the winter and i know how bad the urge can be to cut, maybe have a very light dusting and treat yourself with a new deep conditioner or oil :)

lostchyld
February 25th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Once a year is better than my once every two-three months. I don't usually let a lot go, just the very ends above where the bad splits are, but even just a little that close together really slows down my growing. On the other hand, if my hair is splitty enough to tangle right now, it has to be trimmed. Splits are the only thing that tangles my hair badly.

I'm trying the moisture tactic after my last trim. The goal is to be trim free for six months. Part of the problem is that I'm a salon addict. I need to work on that, but even three years post-pixie, it's still difficult to not get a haircut every month.

Mesmerise
February 25th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I think you really just have to challenge yourself NOT to damage! Feel the satisfaction of watching your healthy hair grow in, instead of being tempted by colours.

I know it's hard. I have been colouring as long as I remember! I pretty much stopped when I joined LHC though ;). I haven't chemically coloured since January 29th 2011 :D. (I henna now though... I have grey hairs and I really am not ready to embrace them).

It is really satisfying to see how much my hair has grown (while the henna does colour it, it is distinctly lighter where the previously coloured hair is...so there is a faint demarcation line... it doesn't look terrible, and I can really only see it in the light, but it is enough for me to see where the hair is "healthy" and where it is not).

At the moment I am actually enjoying the challenge of growing "chemically and heat virgin hair" :D. I also haven't flat ironed since the end of Jan last year either.

But yeah, it is hard. I have never been able to grow my hair to really long lengths before either, because either I damage it, or I get tired of it :rolleyes:.