PDA

View Full Version : Best Hair Secret??

blondyhead
February 24th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I wanted to know what everyones favorite hair secret is? My fave is not so much a secret, but sleeping on a silk pillowcase- so luxorious and comfortable, i never get tangles anymore thanks to the pillowcase :D

Also adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to my conditioner - LUSH!!!

So tell me your secrets :eyebrows:

Fairlight63
February 24th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Adding a couple of drops of Olive Oil to my hair while damp gets rid of the frizzies & makes it easier to comb.

Sleeping with a silk sleep cap on.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 05:46 PM
My best hair care secret is Hollywood beauty castor oil! It made my hair grow 1 inch in 3 weeks! :)

blondyhead
February 24th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Adding a couple of drops of Olive Oil to my hair while damp gets rid of the frizzies & makes it easier to comb.

Thats interesting have you tried doing that with coconut oil?, it removes frizz also :)

maborosi
February 24th, 2012, 06:06 PM
This has less to do with haircare, but I'll sometimes spritz my BBB with my favorite perfume, let it dry, then brush my hair before a night out or something. It makes my hair smell fantastic. :)

~maborosi~

annamoonfairy
February 24th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Drinking a full glass of milk before bed each night and juicing fresh fruit and veggies (my fav - apple and carrot mix).

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Monistat is my favorite.

sumidha
February 24th, 2012, 07:14 PM
As of a few days ago, mineral oil. It's not too secret here, but I think most people in 'the real world' would think I was crazy if I said I put baby oil on my hair!

Also, shhhh, don't tell anyone, but my hair always looks the best after I leave it down and don't brush or comb it for 24 hours..

Long_hair_bear
February 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Monistat is my favorite.

One of mine too. The other is how much of a miracle nightbloomings panacea is! I put it on my dry hair every other morning and it makes my hair lush and soft! :cheese:

bedazzlecat
February 24th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Coconut oil.

Covet
February 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM

I am just about to take my first step into the world of oils (newb here) and I'm gonna try that, thanks!

silverjen
Nothing has made my hair happier than stretching washes. I have so much more wave now.

Madora
"Less is more"..i.e. benign neglect.

Sillage
February 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM
ApHogee 2 step protein treatment, oils, ACV rinses, chelating shampoo

cocoahair
February 24th, 2012, 11:17 PM
shea butter as a deep treatment

hototogisu
February 25th, 2012, 12:16 AM
This is going to sound strange, but lately i've taken to brushing/detangling my hair in 'halves.' I divide my hair in the middle, put each half over one shoulder, then Tangle Teeze/BB each section. I do this in the shower when combing through conditioner, too. It makes detangling soo much easier!

darklyndsea
February 25th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Moisture makes hair (or at least my hair) much less tangly.

owlathena
February 25th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Shampoo bars

Tisiloves
February 25th, 2012, 01:16 AM
L'oreal for kids 2 in 1 swim and sun, cheap, smells great and gets chlorine out of your hair like it was never there.

Tota
February 25th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Lately most definitely co-washing and plopping.

Ishje
February 25th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Coconut oil.

yes, totally ^^
Nightbloomin's Pancea does wonders for my hair as well!

LauraDay
February 25th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Two things for me; one being Coconut Oil but also just recently discovered the benefits of Aloe vera gel... all thanks to LHC! :)

Neneka
February 25th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Gentle handling, no harsh treatments, using deposit only dyes.

Oksana
February 25th, 2012, 06:51 AM
CO washing, coconut oil and drinking plenty of water.

ktani
February 25th, 2012, 07:39 AM
"Secrets"

Gentle handling - finger combing, hair separating as if to braid it.

Satin acetate bedding - sheets and pillowcases

The two greatest? Catnip tea treatments after shampooing and when I do not make time for that, mineral oil/baby oil drops.

No - tangles, dry, staticy, greasy, sticky, heavy, frizzy, stringy hair.

ETA: Yes - defined waves, no split ends, very minimal breakage (mechanical only), great volume.

ETA:2 Catnip tea is also my "hair colour" - it covers (stains) my grey/white hair a light blonde.

blondyhead
February 25th, 2012, 07:53 AM
One of mine too. The other is how much of a miracle nightbloomings panacea is! I put it on my dry hair every other morning and it makes my hair lush and soft! :cheese:
I'm dying to try Nightbloomings panacea, but everytime i go on there to buy it it's always sold out :( But i'm definately going to try it some day!

BlondieHepburn
February 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM
This has less to do with haircare, but I'll sometimes spritz my BBB with my favorite perfume, let it dry, then brush my hair before a night out or something. It makes my hair smell fantastic. :)

~maborosi~

I love that idea!

I guess my "secrets" (from the normal world, obviously not LHC) would be oiling, combing, CWC. And exciting new braids.

Lipbalmbabe
February 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Aloe Vera as a deep CO

Melanie Marie
February 25th, 2012, 09:31 AM
The discovery of the satin sleeping scarf was definitely an epiphany for me, as was sweet almond oil. I love my sweet almond oil so much, it's light enough for when coconut oil is just too heavy and I love the smell! I love my Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo and Conditioner as well!

blondyhead
February 25th, 2012, 09:38 AM
The discovery of the satin sleeping scarf was definitely an epiphany for me, as was sweet almond oil. I love my sweet almond oil so much, it's light enough for when coconut oil is just too heavy and I love the smell! I love my Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo and Conditioner as well!
I have been looking everywhere for a satin sleep cap, in the uk, but just can't find one? I do have a 100% silk scarf from accesorize, do you think that would work??

sarahramen
February 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Co washing, and oiling (light, heavy, any and all oils!)

Diamond.Eyes
February 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM
These days it's the Biolage conditioning balm and virgin coconut oil. When my hair is feeling a little dry I apply a few drops of coconut oil mixed with a dallop of the conditioning balm. My ends feel lovely afterwards! The conditioning balm is definitely a new staple in my hair care routine and I think it is here to stay! :D

einna
February 25th, 2012, 11:49 AM
SLS free/gentle washing and lots of moisture. Also oils and the SMT!

LittleOrca
February 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Argan oil... R&B from LUSH.... Sleep caps.

Jessfoz
February 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Right now, overnight oil treatments, coconut or EVOO. It gets messy though!

Avital88
February 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Argan and amla oil

elfgirl
February 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Overnight oil treatments with coconut oil the night before wash day.

lostchyld
February 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hair up.

My family has always thought it was too conservative to wear a long skirt and hair up, especially after we moved to the area I'm in now. So I ditched the skirts and the buns. Went with short hair for awhile, and liked it but never felt like I was put together. So I've been growing my hair longer and wearing it down, which I've hated and it's hated. So it's nice to have a "good" reason to wear my hair up.

rock007junkie
February 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Henna, sleep caps and oilings...my hair looks so much better.

terylenerose
February 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Coconut oil.
Me too. I've heard it doesn't add moisture, but I think it does.

StellaKatherine
February 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Drinking a full glass of milk before bed each night and juicing fresh fruit and veggies (my fav - apple and carrot mix).

Oh i love apple and carrots together in any shape they are possibly to mix :D

I went into using only wooden combs and a wooden boar bristle brush - since doing so i noticed less shedding while i am brushing.
Oil my ends once a week. So i guess those are my " secrets" now :D

Covet
February 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Sleep caps and the Tangle Teezer! Haven't tried oils yet but I just bought some almond oil I can't wait to try and I'm going to buy jojoba oil soon.

blondyhead
February 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Sleep caps and the Tangle Teezer! Haven't tried oils yet but I just bought some almond oil I can't wait to try and I'm going to buy jojoba oil soon.
Have you tried coconut oil? Really is the best oil out there, it really penetrates the hair shaft of even the most dry/damaged hair. I also use it as a leave-in condish after i get out the shower :)

filthygorgeous
February 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM
hair powder for between washes specially oscar blandi powder

Bunnysaur
February 26th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I am just about to take my first step into the world of oils (newb here) and I'm gonna try that, thanks!

I tried that last night, but I accidentally put waaaaaaaayyy too much olive oil in my shampoo. How much oil would be a good amount to put in a 13fl oz bottle?

kidari
February 26th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Asides from all the LHC ways to care for your hair my secret is to really enjoy your hair no matter what stage it's at. Finding new hair-safe styles to wear your hair. Always researching for new methods, new products, new routines and having fun trying it out. If it works you can always add it to your routine and modify/improve your routine as your hair grows and evolves. Indulging in a few nice products or hair toys once in a while. Basically finding a lot of pleasure in enjoying your hair instead of stressing out about it and finding things wrong with it. Stress causes hair loss, greys, and everything negative that we don't want.

LiveYourDreams
February 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Heavy coconut oil treatments for sure! :)

LocustSpawning
February 26th, 2012, 04:12 PM
DEEP CONTITIONING!! Even if you treat your hair harshly, straighten, bleach, whatever.... all hair can benefit from a good deep conditioning treatment often, regardless of what shampoo/condish they usually use. I think I could get away with more damage if I deep conditioned more often.

BBdck1
February 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Clarifying shampoo follow by deep conditioning once every 1-2 weeks.
Satin pillowcase

lostchyld
February 27th, 2012, 06:03 PM
The online shopping venues... I have silk pillowcases... I'm so jealous of myself for having silk pillowcases that I can luxuriate in... (That doesn't even make sense)

Sakuracha
February 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Shampoo bars followed by diluted vinegar rinses, coconut oil, wooden combs, and sleep caps have helped my hair immensely. I guess alternative hair care is my best hair secret.

PurplePenguin
February 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM
My new favorite - a mix of EVOO, avocado oil, lavender EO, and peppermint EO mixed with water (1:4 ratio) in a spritz bottle to revitalize my curls - it even works when I've brushed my hair until its straight and then decided it was better curly. I also love SMT (though I think I make it a little too runny lol), henna/cassia, and jojoba oil.

I really want to try castor oil for growth but I'm afraid of the darkening effects and a silk/satin pillowcase but I sleep with a body pillow as my main pillow so I think I will be sewing my own pillowcase soon.

aisha.christine
February 27th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Other than benign neglect, I'd say my silk pillowcase combined with my Tangle Teezer is my favorite "secret." :D
I hardly ever have any tangles, but this could be from wearing my hair up a lot.

PurplePenguin
February 28th, 2012, 01:19 AM
yes, totally ^^
Nightbloomin's Pancea does wonders for my hair as well!

What is this Nightbloomin's Panacea and where could I get it?

lostchyld
February 28th, 2012, 01:33 AM
What is this Nightbloomin's Panacea and where could I get it?

Nightblooming herbs oils and butters (http://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming?section_id=5427870)

There's your link, click with caution. (I don't have results yet because I slept in it, but I did my first treatment with the annointing oil last night. It smells awesome and I'm having trouble deciding if I want to use that as a leave in or the panacea which smells equally awesome to me.

BBdck1
February 28th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I really want to try castor oil for growth but I'm afraid of the darkening effects and a silk/satin pillowcase but I sleep with a body pillow as my main pillow so I think I will be sewing my own pillowcase soon.

You can buy 2 pillowcases and put them on both ends of you body pillow. I used to do that when I use a body pillow.

Pinkster8
February 28th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Mine would have to be 'cones. I know a lot of people have problems with them, but they are a necessity on mine. Other than that I like to make a mixture of olive and coconut oil and conditioner, coat my hair in it and leave it in for at least overnight. Leaves my hair crazy sleek.

michelle123
February 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Hi guys,
Iam new to this forum. I need help, my hair has been falling out a lot since having my daughter 6 months ago. I dont know what to do. I tried oiling my hair with coconut oil ,it was ok till I washed my hair ,clumps of hair came out and also when i combed my hair i again lost a lot of hair. Any remedy or suggestion would help and be greatly appreciated thanks

melusine963
February 29th, 2012, 02:25 AM
None of my hair care routine is a secret as such, but I don't volunteer the information that I only wash my hair once a week. My nearest and dearest know, but I'm sure strangers would judge quite heavily.

lostchyld
February 29th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Hi guys,
Iam new to this forum. I need help, my hair has been falling out a lot since having my daughter 6 months ago. I dont know what to do. I tried oiling my hair with coconut oil ,it was ok till I washed my hair ,clumps of hair came out and also when i combed my hair i again lost a lot of hair. Any remedy or suggestion would help and be greatly appreciated thanks

My hair loss wasn't related to postpartum, but I was losing a lot of hair until I started giving myself daily scalp massages with oil or conditioner. The first time I lost an insane amount of hair, I had to clean the shower drain three times to keep the water from backing up, but now I'm down to what was normal before the hair loss started. I had other symptoms that I think were related to the hair loss, like flakes and an itchy scalp which are also much better since I started the scalp massages.

If you haven't seen your GP about it, though, I'd recommend doing so.

StormVixen
February 29th, 2012, 05:43 AM
not really a secret here... but in the "real world"

stretching shampoo (can't do no-poo because of dandruff issues, so "H&S Hair Endurance" gets used when needed.)

Plopping= Big Hair with no *Flat on the Top-ness*

Lots of oils.

High Protein diet.

Silk pillowcase.

No brushing.

Kinkycurlygurl
February 29th, 2012, 06:06 AM
A liberal coating of sebum (even if my friends think it's gross):cool:

Johanna
February 29th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I sit in a cave stroking it calling it 'my precious'.

Actually a great deal of ignoring and putting it up and out of the way.

Chetanlaiho
February 29th, 2012, 06:24 AM
L'oreal for kids 2 in 1 swim and sun, cheap, smells great and gets chlorine out of your hair like it was never there.

Definitely have to try that one! ^_^

kmoc123
February 29th, 2012, 07:18 AM
The Monistat trick and argan oil really help my hair....but the number one thing...stay away from scissors!

lapushka
February 29th, 2012, 07:29 AM
After washing & styling hair, don't touch it with a brush or comb (only (barely) fingercomb, at night) until the next wash. Loosely gather hair for updos (no combing or brushing). Gives me the best results. :)

BeccaAngel
February 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I take prenatal vitamins which help hair, nails and skin. :)

michelle123
February 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Thankyou so much for your help. It is just that when I oil my hair , I dont lose a lot but when I shampoo and then later comb my hair I lose quite a lot of hair. But now I will def oil my hair regularly and see if my hair shedding decreases. And also which shampoo do you use. Iam currently using the Suave shea butter and almond shampoo since I have dry hair.

SoulOfTheSea
March 1st, 2012, 12:27 AM
I sit in a cave stroking it calling it 'my precious'.

Actually a great deal of ignoring and putting it up and out of the way.

:rollin:

Oh that was SO great!

joflakes
March 1st, 2012, 01:04 AM
Stop cutting it so often, no box dyes, using deposit-only dye (even if I can't resist a bit of bleach!), leave-in overnight (or for a day!) treatments....umm...I've been pretty slack recently so yeah. I have no idea how my hair is still so soft.

MyKing'sQueen
March 1st, 2012, 02:33 AM
Henna, shampoo bars, cones, heavy pre-wash oilings... I also love my tangle teezer!

Ellbell
March 1st, 2012, 03:38 AM
If I tell you it wont be a secret anymore.. lol. I also sleep on a silk pillow case. About a week ago I started using the L'oreal smooth intense anti frizz shampoo and conditioner. It makes my hair so soft.

GaJunebug
March 1st, 2012, 08:26 AM
A little trick Momma shared from the 50's- the perfume in the hairbrush suggestion reminded me of it.

If you put your hair up and wanted little tendril curls in front of your ears or at your nape, take a tiny bt of your perfume and with your fingers dampen the piece of hair you wished to curl with it- then, pin curl or put a roller in it while you finished getting ready.

As you're stepping out the door, carefully remove the pins or curlers and carefully arrange your curls. The alcohol in the perfume dress quickly and produces a great setting lotion for the curls- plus, it's a nice scent producer from the perfume.

( Granted, this may be frowned upon nowadays but I remember using this trick when getting ready for proms, etc. After she passed away in '95, I kept my Momma's bobby pins. If I'm faced with a situation that I need a little of her strength to help me through I'll add one or more of her bobby pins to my hairstyle to give me a little extra power and know that Momma's with me. Some may think it's corny, but it really works to give me some extra confidence. )

lostchyld
March 1st, 2012, 09:02 AM
( Granted, this may be frowned upon nowadays but I remember using this trick when getting ready for proms, etc. After she passed away in '95, I kept my Momma's bobby pins. If I'm faced with a situation that I need a little of her strength to help me through I'll add one or more of her bobby pins to my hairstyle to give me a little extra power and know that Momma's with me. Some may think it's corny, but it really works to give me some extra confidence. )

I love this. That's the best hair secret I've seen.

PinkyCat
March 1st, 2012, 09:07 AM
CO washing and drinking whey protein shakes.

Bunnysaur
March 1st, 2012, 11:06 AM
Thankyou so much for your help. It is just that when I oil my hair , I dont lose a lot but when I shampoo and then later comb my hair I lose quite a lot of hair. But now I will def oil my hair regularly and see if my hair shedding decreases. And also which shampoo do you use. Iam currently using the Suave shea butter and almond shampoo since I have dry hair.

I use the same shampoo, and have been oiling my hair daily for about a week. What I did was add a little bit of olive oil to my shampoo, massage it in for a few minutes, let it sit for another couple minutes and then rinse it out. After I condition and towel dry my hair I put a few drops of argan oil in it. The first few times I used to the oiled up shampoo I lost a LOT of hair. Now I'm back down to normal. I think it's just that the oils are loosening all the dead hairs that are going to fall out anyway, and just helps them fall out on their own, you're not losing hairs you wouldn't have lost otherwise.

My hair secret would definitely be my argan oil. A few drops, and my hair is shiny, silky, and oh so soft.

blondyhead
March 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM
A little trick Momma shared from the 50's- the perfume in the hairbrush suggestion reminded me of it.

If you put your hair up and wanted little tendril curls in front of your ears or at your nape, take a tiny bt of your perfume and with your fingers dampen the piece of hair you wished to curl with it- then, pin curl or put a roller in it while you finished getting ready.

As you're stepping out the door, carefully remove the pins or curlers and carefully arrange your curls. The alcohol in the perfume dress quickly and produces a great setting lotion for the curls- plus, it's a nice scent producer from the perfume.

I think thats really beautiful, i always wear my boxing glove necklace so i know that my father is looking down on me :) He was a boxer so i feel close to him when i wear it, of course it's not corny :) Thanks for the cool trick, i'll be trying that!

Melisande
March 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Diluting shampoo. Diluting conditioner with lots of water, honey and citric acid (or vinegar) for lots of shine.

Jojoba oil with essential oils for scalp massages.

Coconut oil - light oilings after washing my hair, heavy oilings with coconut, avocado and olive oil. Alternative: conditioner mixed with oils for deep treatmens.

Silk shawl on the pillow, stretching washes, damp bunning, mister with rose water, jojoba oil and aloe vera gel.

Fox' sheabutter mix for the ends.

And wearing my hair up always, always, always.

redtuss
March 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Canola, coconut and other type of oils :)

redtuss
March 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Oh! And also not drying it with a towel anymore (I put my hair in an old t-shirt and keep it on til it's dry enough), not using regular pillowcases (silk, silk, silk!) and not using the hats I used to - no fleece or cotton for me, it's bamboo or silk that I aim for when it comes to my hair nowadays.

HintOfMint
March 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
After she passed away in '95, I kept my Momma's bobby pins. If I'm faced with a situation that I need a little of her strength to help me through I'll add one or more of her bobby pins to my hairstyle to give me a little extra power and know that Momma's with me. Some may think it's corny, but it really works to give me some extra confidence. )

Well, this is just beautiful. :flower:

Alvrodul
March 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Henna! (Which is no secret to LHCers, of course. ;))
Also stretching washes, silk pillowcases and oil (argan oil, mainly.) And vinegar rinses!!

Safira
March 4th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Henna and deep conditioning. :cheese:

blondyhead
March 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for sharing your secrets everyone :)
I'm always intrigued to know more about hair, so, keep them coming!!!!! :)

thelambscottage
March 4th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Wow I never thought of using a silk pillowcase. My hair looks like I got in a fight with my pillow every morning.

SwordWomanRiona
March 4th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Aloe vera juice/gel as a leave-in.
Tea rinses.
A soft baby's brush and avoiding combs of any type for the length (only finger-detangling).

And maybe the fact that I love olive oil in my meals (no butter!!) also helps? :D

Vanilla
March 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Washing my hair bent at the waist. So many less tangles that way. :)

Annibelle
March 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Combing my hair only rarely-- typically only before washing.

proo
March 4th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Misting with distilled water, then turbaning in a silky scarf till dry.
It's a no-product moisturizing treatment.

PixxieStix
March 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
My secrets:

-Oil shampoo
-Henna
-Deep conditioning treatments of either EVOO, coconut milk, or coconut milk mixed with avocado (fresh fruit mashed up or oil out of the bottle)
-Loving my hair

YumiYume
March 5th, 2012, 01:13 PM
my secret:

Being overly-obsessed with LHC :D, reading whole threads with maaaaaaaaaany pages (read one with 50 pages yesterday) and trying to figure out what do do with my "crappy damaged hair" by reading your mighty hair-knowledge posts and threads :P

millyaulait
March 7th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I guess all the basic stuff I've learned from LHC! :)

Pre-wash Oiling
CO/CWC
Protecting my ends
No Ponytails (!!!)
No heat, etc.

I guess my biggest secret is LHC too, YumiYume! :p

Fairlight63
March 7th, 2012, 06:15 AM
My newest hair secret is after washing & cond. hair to put a couple of drops of baby oil on my hair from the ears down while hair is still wet. It made a BIG difference in my hair! I usually have to put oil on my hair every day just to be able to get a comb through my hair. It has been 3 days since I washed my hair & I have not had to put any oil on my hair at all!
Thank you who ever it was that had that idea to put baby oil on your hair while wet. It works miracles!