PDA

View Full Version : Do ragcurlers/foamrollers cause damage long-term?

Tuntenut
February 24th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Have any of you experience excessive wear and tear from using ragcurlers or foamrollers or things like that on a frequent basis?

I've just started a new job where my usual buns are way too sleek and formal, so I usually do a curly updo of some kind. I'm just really worried that sleeping with curlers every other night will take a toll on my already stressed-out hair.

And do you guys have any tips on how to curl hair as safely as possible? It would be mucho appriciated. :)

maborosi
February 24th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I think if you're careful and they don't pull on your hair too hard, you shouldn't have to worry too much about damage. I never liked sleeping with rollers in my hair because it was uncomfortable.

You could do bee butt buns to make your hair curly. That's a bit less uncomfortable, in my experience.

~maborosi~

heidi w.
February 24th, 2012, 11:29 AM
My hair doesn't curl really, or rather it curls and then falls out within an hour. Have you ever tried steam curlers in the morning? It might be easier on your head and offer better sleeping conditions.

heidi w.

Madora
February 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I used to use foam rollers on my ends (years ago).

The hair would be braided 3/4ths of the way down, then the ends would divided in 5 sections and each section rolled up 3 or 4 turns on foam rollers (no gel, hair was slightly damp).

I brushed the curls out the next morning.

Be sure you stay away from those horrid "velcro" rollers...pure poison because they tear at your hair when you're trying to extricate the curlers..unless you work VERY slowly.

If you are contemplating traditional "rag" (i.e. cloth) curlers, then be careful when taking out the rags and especially careful when you comb out the curls. I found rag curls not to be worth the bother.

GlassWidow
February 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Just don't use the velcro rollers! :eek:

FrenchTwist
February 24th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I have used foam rollers off and on over the years and never had any problems. They really give me a nice curl.

maborosi
February 24th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I used to use foam rollers on my ends (years ago).

The hair would be braided 3/4ths of the way down, then the ends would divided in 5 sections and each section rolled up 3 or 4 turns on foam rollers (no gel, hair was slightly damp).

I brushed the curls out the next morning.

Be sure you stay away from those horrid "velcro" rollers...pure poison because they tear at your hair when you're trying to extricate the curlers..unless you work VERY slowly.

If you are contemplating traditional "rag" (i.e. cloth) curlers, then be careful when taking out the rags and especially careful when you comb out the curls. I found rag curls not to be worth the bother.

This is also a really good idea. I used to do this and it gave me really nice, curly, curly hair! I found that the more braids I made, the tighter and more curls I got.

And ugh...why do they even make those dreadful velcro curlers? I cannot see the point- I feel like they would tangle up in just about anyone's hair :(

~maborosi~

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I prefer rag curls only because it doesn't hurt to sleep!

annamoonfairy
February 24th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I have not had any damage from foam rollers.

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I have used foam rollers in the past without problems.

Torrin Paige
February 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Pick yourself up a box of end papers or perm papers. They're just little squares of tissue paper that you fold over the ends of your hair before you roll them up. I swear by them and highly recommend them to anyone using ANY kind of roller or curler. They'll keep your delicate ends from getting tangled around the curler and prevent all sorts of tears and breakage. Any damage I have ever suffered from curler use happened before I started using perm papers. :)

Babs1039
February 24th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I have a ton of foam rollers that I cannot use as my hair curls very easily and the rollers leaves unsightly crimps in my hair from being left on over night. They don't seem to damage it, but I just don't have time in the morning to roll and take down after the set; so what I usually do is the twist method of getting curls.

On damp hair divide it in half down your preferred front part and then part the back down the middle...take one the halves and half again. Take both of the newly halved pieces and begin twisting each one backwards. Next take those pieces and twist them forward while still twisting each piece back. End by securing the pieces at the bottom with a ponytail holder (no metal). Then I do the other side the same way. After I have my twists I put each up in a Princess Laya bun and sleep.

I get more curls than when I just put them in regular buns and it takes maybe 4 minutes to do! Plus it's much easier to sleep on at night than rollers and no itchies or sore scalp from the tugging of the rollers all over! :D If your curls tends to fall easily you can add a holding product or setting lotion if you like, but I have no need for those and they tend to overly dry out my hair.