PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else ❤ seeing/dying their roots?

PixxieStix
February 24th, 2012, 09:30 AM
So this week while I was putting up my hair I noticed I had about 1/2 an inch of roots showing, and it just pleased me so much to see them! I know the actual process of getting the henna prepared and getting it on where you want it to be etc. can be a pain, but I just LOVE that I have visual confirmation that my hair is in fact growing!

For me, the line isn't hugely obvious since I do have a lot of red in my hair to begin with, so I usually wait until I have about an inch of roots before touching them up, and again, while it can be a pain, I tend to think of it as a pampering ritual.

So what about you, if you dye? Do you enjoy seeing your growth and maintaining the upkeep? Or do you dread having to touch up your roots every X weeks? How much growth do you usually let accumulate before dying? Do you do it yourself or do you go to a salon/have a professional do it? Share your thoughts on your love/hate of roots! :D

Avital88
February 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
i love seeing my roots,i like to keep track of my growth,but since i dont boxdye anymore it isnt such a clear line anymore. Henna tends to fade(lush caca)

ps how did you do the heart?? i like haha

maborosi
February 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Yes! It makes me excited, though my roots aren't as obvious as they were before.

~maborosi~

BrightEyes
February 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Yes, I love seeing my roots! It reassures me that my hair is in fact growing. And fortunately my virgin hair is only a shade or two darker than my highlights, so I can stretch retouches to every 3-4 months.

I really enjoy going and getting my highlights & color retouched. I have a good friend who does my hair. It's nice to sit and visit with her while she puts the foils in. I feel like it's a little bit of much needed "me" time.:)

PinkyCat
February 24th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Yup. I'm always happy to see them. Reassures me that I'm making progress.

Ligeia_13
February 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM
My roots used to frustrate me to no end when my hair was damaged. Cause I could see the progress at the top every month but it was just breaking off at the ends.

Pity I don't have roots now :D Directions wears off too much at the top for me to have roots.

Bianca
February 24th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I dont dye my hair anymore, but used too, all the time, different color every month. I never liked the upkeep and not really a big fan of roots, I just cant stand the look of them. But it was nice being able to see progress, yes :)

Amber_Maiden
February 24th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I have about 4-5in of roots, but it isn't TOO obvious. I like seeing them!

PriscillaCherel
February 24th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I love to see them! Thats the only reason when I know: it's growing!
@Avital: It's her natural headline I guess:P A friend of mine got the same!

sfgirl
February 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
My dark blonde doesn't look too bad with three inches of root, so thats usually how long I wait to bleach. it makes me happy to see that yes, I am growing,

pink.sara
February 24th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I hate my roots! They are confirmation of my frustratingly slow growth, and since I was very ill there's a tiny circle of greys on my right side, and they are sooo shiny against the black!

That's why I never go longer than 6 weeks without dying/bleaching.
I'm an addict ;)

Lala3488
February 24th, 2012, 01:33 PM
i love hennaing my hair on the weekends, so i do it every 2 weeks. My hair grows fast, and my roots are blonde, so they are highly visible against my red henna hair ! I also henna my eyebrows.. lol

rowie
February 24th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I definitely love seeing my roots grow. Even though I have dark hair, I can still tell when I need to get my henna! I usually end up doing my whole head because my hair is already dark so it's more for the health benefits. However it's really obvious for my DBF since his natural color is strawberry blond, but we now have a ritual of hennaing each others hair for a day.

Littlewing13
February 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Agreed. Always loved seeing the rate of growth (even with short hair) but getting to the point that I cant go out in public without colouring but being too busy to fit it in is frustrating.

rock007junkie
February 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I love it. It's a great visual way of knowing that my hair is actually growing.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I always write down in my calendar when I saw my roots! I get so happy!

owlathena
February 24th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I love seeing my roots! Sometimes hennaing is a pain, but most of the time I do it when I have a free weekend and enjoy it as a pampering thing.

Maktub
February 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Love my growing roots too ! :)

Sillage
February 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I HAAAAAAAATE seeing my roots and I am somewhat obsessive about keeping up with dying my hair. However, I really like your positive spin on things PixxieStix. I'm going to remember it the next time I go :mad: at my roots. :D

PixxieStix
February 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I got the heart by copying/pasting it. You can google "text symbols" and find tons of different kinds, they are pretty fun.

This is so cool, I never would have guessed so many of you liked it too! Lipbalmbabe, writing it down sounds like a great idea, I can't measure much worth a knife to eat soup with, but the roots I can more or less manage.

Rowie, that is so sweet that you and your DBF have a ritual. :) My fiance let me do a gloss on him, but it tinted his hair just a little and won't let me do it again! He's great about helping me henna though, even if he's a little rough.

bluequeequeg
February 24th, 2012, 08:38 PM
For sure, I love seeing my roots for this reason. It's the same reason why I loved growing out my bangs ("Wow, the ends were just at my eyebrows last month and now they're past my glasses!")

hototogisu
February 25th, 2012, 12:27 AM
My natural ash looks GREEN against my colour, so I'm hypervigilant about roots. My hair also, despite the regular punishment, grows like a weed. I just came across a photo from six months ago where my fringe (bangs) was between my eyebrows and cheekbones (ear length, I guess?), now it's well beyond chin length 0_o

So yeah, getting length is never my problem, it's convincing it all to STAY in my HEAD that's the problem!!

How do we all deal with regrowth? Good old fashioned tint brush?