PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide whether to quit colouring my hair

hototogisu
February 24th, 2012, 01:52 AM
This is seriously DRIVING. ME. CRAZY.

I have level 7 ash blonde hair naturally, or at least I think I do. I've been colouring and highlighting regularly since I was a teenager. I've been (DIY) colouring my hair a level 8 copper for about four-five years now. I. LOVE. THIS. COLOUR. People regularly stop me in the street to ask if it's real or not. It really suits my skin tone. I have to colour my regrowth every 2-3 weeks because my natural colour looks green against the copper, but I'm handy with a tint brush and it doesn't bother me.

But.

I've been suffering from hair loss for a while now, and while changes I've made in my lifestyle and hair care have paid off in terms of reducing shedding, every time I read LHC I feel so guilty for taking to my poor scalp with ammonia-laden colour every three weeks. My hair itself is in pretty reasonable condition, but it's not the best. It would also be nice to stop spending 15-30 euros every month on hair colour.

My poor hair is feeling really crunchy, broken and off after a week of over-enthusiastic honey treatments in an attempt to lighten the red, and I very nearly ordered two boxes of Colour B4 this morning to get rid of my chemical colour. I figured if it really doesn't work out I can always cut back to BSL and start my colouring routine again.

Then I looked in the mirror this morning and thought I LOVE MY COLOUR. What if my natural colour is just really nondescript and ugly? What if it makes my skin look sallow and gross?

GAAAH. Help me decide, guys. Strip out my chemical colour or stick with what I know?

MonaMayfair
February 24th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Would you consider using henna and cassia instead? You couldn't guarantee getting your hair the color you have now, but on blonde hair you should get a coppery red. Plus henna would strengthen your hair.
I also have blonde hair so I know exactly what you mean about having to do roots every 2 or 3 weeks because they look weird with redder lengths!

I use 50/50 henna and cassia and get a lightish golden copper shade. You must just do roots once you get the right color though, as repeated hennas on the lengths make the hair darker and darker (even with fair hair underneath - it happened to me)

Henna is a commitment, it's very hard to remove - if not impossible!

I can see how your decision is difficult as your present color suits you so well.

If it were me, I'd stick to dyeing my hair in some way, if I didn't like my natural color, but I suppose it depends just how badly damaged it looks and how long you aim to grow it. Personally, I'd rather have hair that was a bit damaged, but looked good (yours must, if strangers stop you in the street!) than boring colored hair in perfect condition. A lot of people here will probably disagree with this though!