PDA

View Full Version : Natural greasiness taking the place of a styling product

Becky9679
February 24th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Ok, some people may find this a little icky but anyway...

Last night I was brushing out my hair. It's been nearly a week since I've washed it and so it is rather greasy, however when I'd finished brushing it didn't look horrible at all, it looked like I'd used straightening serum or something. Even my husband (who rarely comments on my appearance) said how straight and shiny it looked.

Sometimes at work when it's up I'll also get comments about how shiny it looks on days when it needs a wash. I tend to find that many updos are easier and look neater when it's slightly greasy, especially braids. It even gives a certain amount of hold!

Does anyone else find this?

Rosethorn
February 24th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Yep, you're right. I don't know if it's just a dark hair thing or not (always had brown or black hair-maybe a blonde will reply and tell us?) but mine's definitely shinier dirty. It also stays in updos much easier when it's dirty because it isn't so slippy.:poot: Who knew? An extra reason to not wash every day. For me at least.

Katze
February 24th, 2012, 03:33 AM
We have similar hair, though a different color.

I can ONLY really wear my hair up (unless it is a deliberately messy 'do) when it is dirty, and I enhance the dirtiness with leave-in and gel, especially if I want to have braids.

IMO, this is a fine-haired wavy problem. :)

However, my hair looks a lot darker - as if it is wet - when it is dirty, and as a 'recovering blonde' (I bleached for many years) I really prefer for it to look light. Still the ability to 'change color' is also kinda fun.

tigereye
February 24th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I find that's the case with mine too. I can only really wear it up on the last few days before washing (ie. like around 5-6 days after washing I can't really wear it down anymore), but generally during those days, my updo's do look better than the first days after washing. It does hold better, and stays smoother on top. It just looks like I've put some product in it really.

Grillz
February 24th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I wish my hair would hold styles like it's dirty every day lol, but my hair is a dark, mousy blonde and ends up just looking wet when it gets greasy. I'm pretty sure no one would mistake that for shine on me.

Capybara
February 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I'm not a blonde strictly, but more of a blonette. My hair looks much darker when it is greasy. It does look a bit shinier, but you can tell that it's dirty :o

lapushka
February 24th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Yep, you're right. I don't know if it's just a dark hair thing or not (always had brown or black hair-maybe a blonde will reply and tell us?) but mine's definitely shinier dirty.

I have the same experience as the ladies below. I'm a blonette. My hair definitely doesn't add shine on. When it gets dirty, it's *dirty* and that means it's darker and gets piecey. You can visibly tell it's greasy hair instead of just a bit of shine or product.

However, my hair looks a lot darker - as if it is wet - when it is dirty, and as a 'recovering blonde' (I bleached for many years) I really prefer for it to look light. Still the ability to 'change color' is also kinda fun.

I wish my hair would hold styles like it's dirty every day lol, but my hair is a dark, mousy blonde and ends up just looking wet when it gets greasy. I'm pretty sure no one would mistake that for shine on me.

I'm not a blonde strictly, but more of a blonette. My hair looks much darker when it is greasy. It does look a bit shinier, but you can tell that it's dirty :o

heidihug
February 24th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I have dark hair and I always wear it up. I don't like the way my hair looks when it's greasy, it gets piece-y and clumpy and is obviously unwashed. It may be because it's pretty thin, too. If I am not infinitely careful and use a very fine-tooth comb when smoothing back the sides I get massive hair cleavage (white scalp show-through). I prefer my hair when it has a bit of body and "fluff" to it as then my scalp doesn't show through as badly.

Now this doesn't mean that I wash my hair every day, though! I just have to mess with it more and take better care to make my updos more exacting the greasier my hair gets.

shawty
February 24th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Yep. My braids look decidedly better when greasy. However, for me, wearing a ponytail or loose hair looks decidedly worse when greasy...

Ligeia_13
February 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Definitely! Unfortunately when my hair is greasy enough to hold a hairdo better, it also smells pretty dirty :/

lostchyld
February 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I totally worked with that in Middle and High School. I'd wear my hair dirty before I'd put any gunk in it. Ballet habits put it up on a regular basis and I only washed once a week or less. I only put product in it when I needed a super great hold for exams or recital, but it looked decidedly worse with the product than it did just dirty. I'm naturally a dark brunette. If it's down, you can tell when it's dirty, but it has to be really dirty for me to care when it's up. Biggest issue now is scalp sensitivity and dandruff, so I don't let my hair get as dirty as I used to. I'm looking for ways to extend time between serious washes.

88Marisa
February 24th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I am on a water only routine, so I use the "natural greasiness"of my hair all the time. ;)

I have a LOT less frizz now. My hair feels like it has a bit of product in it all the time, almost like a combination of a very light mousse combined with a smidge of wax. When I first transitioned, this waxy texture was more prominent, but now, after 9 months, my hair length feels very soft and conditioned, but with less slip than a conditioner. It's easy to fluff my hair at the roots and get it to hold, very similar to mousse or spray gel products I've used in the past but without needing to let it dry. Since I have fine, curly hair needs some fluffiness at the roots, this is all a very welcome change.

heidi w.
February 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Ok, some people may find this a little icky but anyway...

Last night I was brushing out my hair. It's been nearly a week since I've washed it and so it is rather greasy, however when I'd finished brushing it didn't look horrible at all, it looked like I'd used straightening serum or something. Even my husband (who rarely comments on my appearance) said how straight and shiny it looked.

Sometimes at work when it's up I'll also get comments about how shiny it looks on days when it needs a wash. I tend to find that many updos are easier and look neater when it's slightly greasy, especially braids. It even gives a certain amount of hold!

Does anyone else find this?

Experienced hairdressers know the benefit of sebum and the stick it can provide with certain hairstyles. It's a well-known trick in hair styling.

heidi w.

ktani
February 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Experienced hairdressers know the benefit of sebum and the stick it can provide with certain hairstyles. It's a well-known trick in hair styling.

heidi w.

True! I have read of models saying on that on a photography shoot, their hair worked better somewhat oily too, for picture results.

Eternal.Fiend
February 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Well, I wish my hair held waves like it does when it needs a wash! I don't even need to do damp braids and those waves stay - it's weird. But then again, I can't really wear my hair down then, so I get none of the benefits!

lostchyld
February 24th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Well, I wish my hair held waves like it does when it needs a wash! I don't even need to do damp braids and those waves stay - it's weird. But then again, I can't really wear my hair down then, so I get none of the benefits!

That's funny. I start with curls on wash day and end up pin straight as my hair gets dirtier. On the other hand, if I put my hair in micro buns for an hour, I get all my curl back, no matter what day it is and it stays most of the day with minimal help. A teensy amount of coconut oil being the minimal help. I love that stuff, especially in the winter, it's better than gel.

Tisiloves
March 4th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Totally, nothing sticks my layers down like a bit of sebum.:silly:

sfgirl
March 4th, 2012, 02:16 AM
My hair picks up bad smells when it's greasy. I've never smelled sebum, only tobacco, fast food, pollution, all that stuff. It's why I need to wash more often than I'd like.