PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter for Hair Growth?

ladycaladium
February 23rd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Okie, so I've been wondering, does anyone know if eating peanut butter is good for hair growth? I'd like to hear experiences, opinions, scientific views, etc. on it. I know, strange question, but hey, I'm curious. :o

maborosi
February 24th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I would imagine that eating it would probably be very good for your hair, since it's got lots of protein and healthy fats. Most nuts are like that, I think.

As far as studies and such go, unfortunately, I can't look any up 'cause I'm not on my computer, but I doubt there's a lot of studies. Many people definitely have hair benefits from eating healthy foods and protein rich foods, though, at least going by what's on LHC.

I totally thought this was going to be a thread about putting some kinda peanut butter mask on your hair....

~maborosi~

ladycaladium
February 24th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Now I'm curious about a peanut butter hair mask and concocting recipes in my head. Interesting idea. I may give that a go (besides eating it because it is so yummy).

Rosethorn
February 24th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I thought it was going to be a peanut butter in/on hair thread too (not brave enough to try that). I agree that protein and healthy fats make happy hair. At least that's what I've heard.:o

annamoonfairy
February 24th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Not sure about peanut butter but drinking a full glass of milk before bed each night and juicing my own fruits and veggies has helped the most for me.

bunzfan
February 24th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Yes this does work i noticed when i had it ever morning for breakfast my hair really grew.

Ishje
February 24th, 2012, 01:40 AM
I have heard that nuts are good for hairgrowth anyway, and they are healthy (or at least more healty than some snacks).

I would not put peanutbutter in my hair though, I think that will get sticky XD

oh, I found this:

"Nuts for hair growth
Some nuts are full of minerals that are necessary for the growth of healthy hair. A few nuts for beautiful hair are:

Almonds: Contains Vitamin B6, Magnesium, Zinc, Protein
Peanuts: Contains Protein, Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin B6
Cashews: Contains Iron, Zinc, Vitamin B6, Protein
Walnuts: Contains Vitamin B, Protein, Magnesium, Omega3 Fatty acids, Alpha-linolenic acid
Pecan: Contains Zinc, Protein
Brazil nuts: Contains Selenium,Magnesium

All the nutrients are very important for healthy growth of the hair. As they are natural source,they don’t have side-effects. So, a handful of nuts and sufficient water intake will surely speed up the hair growth process."

http://hairloss.ygoy.com/2010/03/28/hair-growth-are-nuts-good-for-hair-growth/

Madora
February 24th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I think it would be far better to consume the peanut butter than apply it to your hair. You'd have a dickens of a time getting it off..and all that manipulation of your hair when wet isn't a good thing.

If I remember correctly, member Arc69, who has very, very long hair, said peanut butter helped with hair growth.

icallitbliss
February 24th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I hope so, cause I eat it all the time! In fact, thank you. I'm gonna go have some on an english muffin right now. :)

rock007junkie
February 24th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Let's hope that eating it yields the same results. I could only imagine how hard it must be to take that out of hair.

1dragonfly2
February 24th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I practically lived on PB as a kid and had my longest hair then! But I think like exercise, there's no "spot" growing food...just good nutrition.
:)

ktani
February 24th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Peanut butter and health.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/Is-peanut-butter-healthy

and

Dietary fat including peanut oil
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/nu00262/nsectiongroup=2

celebriangel
February 24th, 2012, 09:20 AM
My hair is the reason I no longer feel guilty about how much I love peanut butter :)

Amber_Maiden
February 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I totally thought this was going to be a thread about putting some kinda peanut butter mask on your hair....

Same here! :p

heidi w.
February 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I couldn't advocate applying peanut butter to hair to hope for an increase in growth rate because the live part of hair is the follicle which resides under the scalp skin.

Eating it, I believe it has a fair amount of protein, and that's one of the reasons that poor people eat a lot of PB&J sandwiches. It ain't great eatin' but it'll feed you and get you through the rough spots.

All the local food pantries give jelly and peanut butter away, in jars. It's just abou the only protein source they give away at all in my area.

heidi w.

Anje
February 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't normally put peanut butter in hair (just because taking something internally for hair is good, doesn't mean it'll do much good when applied externally, or vice-versa), but it's supposed to be useful for getting gum out.

Moonlake
February 24th, 2012, 10:28 AM

ladycaladium
February 24th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I googled peanut butter in hair after considering the mask (I posted this thread about eating PB but the mask idea did intrige me) and yep, I will not be putting it in my hair, just in my tummy!

Thanks for the science ktani and Ishje!

Madora, Arc69's hair is amazing. I always love looking at her styles and am always amazed by the length.

So the general consensus that I am getting here is that it is a great source of protein, general nutrition is the key to good hair and that I should not put it on my head!

Thanks everyone! :blossom: I will now be eating peanut butter and strawberry perserve sandwiches for lunch during the week instead of just grabbing whatever on campus! And my hair (and maybe my waistline) will probably thank me in a few months.

ktani
February 24th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I googled peanut butter in hair after considering the mask (I posted this thread about eating PB but the mask idea did intrige me) and yep, I will not be putting it in my hair, just in my tummy!

Thanks for the science ktani and Ishje!

Madora, Arc69's hair is amazing. I always love looking at her styles and am always amazed by the length.

So the general consensus that I am getting here is that it is a great source of protein, general nutrition is the key to good hair and that I should not put it on my head!

Thanks everyone! :blossom: I will now be eating peanut butter and strawberry perserve sandwiches for lunch during the week instead of just grabbing whatever on campus! And my hair (and maybe my waistline) will probably thank me in a few months.

For my part you are very welcome.

Nuts do not provide complete protein on their own. Add a grain and you have it.

That is why peanut butter sandwiches are so healthy - protein - complete, ETA: http://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletprotein.htm and http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/protein-in-diet/overview.html.

blondyhead
February 24th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I used to eat peanut butter on toast every morning, never noticed any ecelerated hair growth though?

Sammich
February 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
*Whips out the peanutbutter* :D

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Not to sound mean but I kinda hope this doesn't help. Being a long time sufferer of an anaphylactic alergie to peanuts I always get upset when I hear about the good of them! Hahah I sound like such a downer, don't blame me ;)

ladycaladium
February 24th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Not to sound mean but I kinda hope this doesn't help. Being a long time sufferer of an anaphylactic alergie to peanuts I always get upset when I hear about the good of them! Hahah I sound like such a downer, don't blame me ;)

Oh I'm sorry!

swearnsue
February 24th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Peanuts and hazelnuts are both good? How about Nutella?! Now THAT stuff is yummy!

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Oh I'm sorry!

That's ok! :)

ktani
February 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I love raw almonds. I keep them in the fridge so they stay fresh and eat a small handul every day. I make sure I have a rice cracker with them or soon after, usually covered in hummus.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I love raw almonds. I keep them in the fridge so they stay fresh and eat a small handul every day. I make sure I have a rice cracker with them or soon after, usually covered in hummus.

They are so good! Have you tried almond butter? It's great! :)

Kizuna
February 24th, 2012, 04:08 PM

Almond butter is great! I don't like peanut butter but I love the almond butter. The stores here are very limited so I make my own. Maybe I should make a new batch and start eating it again. It can't be bad for my hair :)

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Almond butter is great! I don't like peanut butter but I love the almond butter. The stores here are very limited so I make my own. Maybe I should make a new batch and start eating it again. It can't be bad for my hair :)

They sell it at trader joes for about $3. And I must say you have some of the most beautiful hair i have ever seen I was staring at your avatar for 5 minutes I was hypnotized. :)

ktani
February 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Yes I have. I still prefer raw almonds. My grocery store sells bulk bags of them, the contents of which fit into two containers I keep in the fridge.

ladycaladium
February 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I love sliced almonds on my salads. Maybe a should have them more often!

bluebird77
February 25th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Someone may have already mentioned this but peanuts are also a good source of zinc. Sesame seeds and pepitas (pumpkin/squash seeds) are even better. Zinc seems to be included in a lot of 'hair, skin & nails' formulas but I don't like to take supplements so I keep a variety of raw nuts and seeds and try to eat a big handful every day. My mix usually includes almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, peanuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chia seeds... all full of great hair growing goodies! :)

Kizuna
February 25th, 2012, 04:58 PM
They sell it at trader joes for about $3. And I must say you have some of the most beautiful hair i have ever seen I was staring at your avatar for 5 minutes I was hypnotized. :)

Wow thank you! Haha.:)
Oh, if only I could get almond butter that cheap where I live. A tiny jar cost around $10-11 here so that's why I make my own. :)

embee
February 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM
If eating peanut butter helps hair grow, my hair should be to the floor by now... ;)

LittleOrca
February 25th, 2012, 06:20 PM
*Thinks of the book "The Peanut Butter Solution.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Cm4Cy3rxs *Giggle*

Maktub
February 25th, 2012, 06:46 PM
don't know if it's been mentionned, but not all peanut butters are equal. do go for the 100 % peanuts (as only ingredient) without sugar and other things in it !

ladycaladium
February 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM
No skippy or jiff for me!

And that movie looks hilarious.

Mesmerise
February 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Ahh this reminds me... I was eating a spoonful of peanut butter everyday for awhile last year, hoping to spur on some hair growth, but I'd forgotten about it!!

Maybe I should start up again?

Can't hurt, right?!

Naiadryade
February 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I would think that any nuts or seeds would be just as good, if not better! Really, anything high in protein and healthy fats.

On the HEALTHY fats note, definitely choose the right peanut butter! As Maktub said, peanuts-only is best, but if you really want one with salt in it or whatever, please at least never eat peanut butter (or anything) with hydrogenated oils in it! :brains:

Anastasiya24
February 25th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Pretty much all nuts are great for hair. I love peanut butter! I get smuckers natural peanut butter that you need to stir in and refrigerate after you open. Its only made out of peanuts and salt. I also grown to love the natural kind even more than the sugar added/ other things added kinds.
Every single day I eat 2 tbs of peanut butter. I know my hair does grow pretty fast so maybe it has to do with the peanut butter. I also love almond butter, and do eat many assorted nuts. My hair doesn't really grow any faster, but grows in healthier when I eat healthy fat and protein found in all nuts.

Artisticat
February 25th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I love Peanut Butter - especially Trader Joes! Good reason to eat for the health of my hair. :)

Carissamarie08
February 25th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I love peanut butter! Time to start eating it more :)

terylenerose
February 26th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Interesting idea, but I don't eat peanut butter myself for two reasons. The main one is that I'm mildly allergic (itchy mouth and ears), but also I've heard that peanuts tend to be moldy and the aflatoxin in them is carcinogenic. Sorry to be such a party pooper. You have to admit, though, peanuts do taste kind of nice. :)

Mommyof4
February 26th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hmmm.. so interesting! I have been eating cashews/almonds/cranberries as a trail mix every day for a month, *it really helps my intestinal disorder* and have noticed how much better I felt, less stomach troubles and better skin.. I have also been craving peanut butter/marshmallow spread sandwiches for a couple of months and have had the fast growth I've had in a long time...

When my hair was waist and past, I ate peanut butter sandwiches or as a dip DAILY for years... and had at least 1 inch of growth a month...

I can't believe I never made the connection.. crazy :)

Shepherdess
February 27th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I think peanut butter is really good for you (unless there are allergies) and it is high in protein. I only will buy natural peanut butter though (with the ingredients just peanuts and salt). :)

DarkAlice
February 27th, 2012, 06:56 AM
i always thought peanut butter was one of those foods you stayed away from on diets etc.

ladycaladium
March 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM
I heard that too, about the diets. And then I heard it was a good fat. And that good fats can be good for you. Either way, a peanut butter sandwich is most likely healthier than fastfood!

~*~Aspen~*~
November 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM
*Thinks of the book "The Peanut Butter Solution.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Cm4Cy3rxs *Giggle*

Ha-ha! You deserve an award for mentioning that.!-

..I have never seen it. I think my kids would luv it!!

bunzfan
November 24th, 2013, 12:21 PM
It works :D

pixiestar
November 24th, 2013, 11:52 PM
I think it works :) started eating it about a month ago and had double my normal hair growth :)

jacqueline101
November 25th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I might try this along with my greens challenge and decluttering challenge. I agree peanut butter is given away at food pantries and places. I have a bag of celery that needs used.

janeytilllie
May 9th, 2017, 04:32 AM
I first read about peanut butter from arc691 blog. She has the most prettiest hair I've seen. All the way down to her ankles. She wrote that she learnt about peanut butter for hair growth. She said she takes a tablespoon of peanut butter a day in her milkshake. She said it helped her hair grow.

Inspired by this, I thought I would try. I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter a day. I only eat a organic no salt one.
I have found it helps me personally.

My hair use to break easy and had a growth rate of 0.5"

I now have an inch growth and my hair doesn't break.

I do other things for my hair health like castor oil oilings, good hair routine, good diet etc.

but I do notice my nails are strong, white and grow very fast. I read peanut butter has protein and biotin, both good for hair and nails.

Also it's yummy :)

Of course YMMV. And please always stay safe and research well!!
I say this because I once had a really unpleasant allergic reaction with eating eggs for hair growth. So always double check :blossom:

Dark40
May 10th, 2017, 11:19 AM
I'm also experiencing the same results as far as my hair growing significantly well from eating peanut butter, and I love eating a lot of it too!!! Eating it is wayyyyy better than applying it to your hair. That would be a mess to clean out of your strands.

littlestarface
May 10th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Hmm I wonder if reeces peanut butter cups will do same thing? I love to eat those.

Aredhel
May 10th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Hmm I wonder if reeces peanut butter cups will do same thing? I love to eat those.

I've actually been wondering the same thing about roasted peanuts... I'm absolutely addicted to those things. It'd be awesome if my snacking problem had actual health benefits.:lol:

ShilvaA
May 10th, 2017, 12:03 PM
My partner's hair grows so quickly! He does eat at least a spoonful of peanut butter a day too... could just be genetics though.

upnorthmama
May 10th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Someone may have already mentioned this but peanuts are also a good source of zinc. Sesame seeds and pepitas (pumpkin/squash seeds) are even better. Zinc seems to be included in a lot of 'hair, skin & nails' formulas but I don't like to take supplements so I keep a variety of raw nuts and seeds and try to eat a big handful every day. My mix usually includes almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, peanuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chia seeds... all full of great hair growing goodies! :)

I had read that zinc is good for hair growth, so that totally makes sense if peanuts contain it!

gthlvrmx
May 10th, 2017, 07:22 PM
I eat peanut butter almost daily. Maybe it's helping?

akurah
May 10th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Do you guys think it's the peanut butter explicitly, or if peanuts would do? and if peanuts would do, would another nut (namely cashews) might do? Cause i eat cashews a lot...

upnorthmama
May 11th, 2017, 04:28 AM
Do you guys think it's the peanut butter explicitly, or if peanuts would do? and if peanuts would do, would another nut (namely cashews) might do? Cause i eat cashews a lot...

I would imagine that peanuts would do, as peanut butter is just ground up peanuts. I'm not sure if other nuts would have the same effect, as peanuts are actually a legume, not a nut!

akurah
May 11th, 2017, 12:26 PM
I would imagine that peanuts would do, as peanut butter is just ground up peanuts. I'm not sure if other nuts would have the same effect, as peanuts are actually a legume, not a nut!

Ooooh, good point!!

If I were to eat daily I would probably want to just eat peanuts themselves. Digging PB out of the jar daily might get old, but peanuts I can pre-portion in my tiny tupperware when portioning out the rest of my food for grab and go.

FrayedFire
May 12th, 2017, 08:36 AM
I'm just gonna throw out there that boiled peanuts are the healthiest way to consume them, as the antioxidants and minerals or whatever leech out of the shell during the process, and you don't have the potential mold issue you get with roasted. Plus, in my opinion, they taste waaaay better, but you have to remember they're going to have a totally different taste and texture.

akurah
May 12th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I'm just gonna throw out there that boiled peanuts are the healthiest way to consume them, as the antioxidants and minerals or whatever leech out of the shell during the process, and you don't have the potential mold issue you get with roasted. Plus, in my opinion, they taste waaaay better, but you have to remember they're going to have a totally different taste and texture.
I seem to remember every boiled peanut I've ever had, it has been obscenely salty. Wouldn't the sodium be a concern?

FrayedFire
May 12th, 2017, 09:59 AM
I seem to remember every boiled peanut I've ever had, it has been obscenely salty. Wouldn't the sodium be a concern?

That's an excellent concern. They don't have to be salty, you can season them however you want to... Though I believe that there are a few commercially available ones that are lower sodium, I can't be sure as we make them at home.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
May 12th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Day: 1 spoon PB on a slice of toast with jam.

akurah
May 12th, 2017, 01:58 PM
That's an excellent concern. They don't have to be salty, you can season them however you want to... Though I believe that there are a few commercially available ones that are lower sodium, I can't be sure as we make them at home.
It never occurred to me to make at home! I will try this. Thanks!

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 12th, 2017, 02:40 PM

I don't think the amount of carbs, unhealthy fats and sugar would be worth it. Women need about 60-70g (maybe a little less, I haven't googled this in awhile) of protein A DAY. The amount of peanut butter cups you'd need to eat in order to get the benefits of increased protein... well that's a lot of cups lmao 4 cups is like 150 calories, not worth it! Especially if you have health problems etc

When I was vegan I ate peanut butter a lot but I didn't notice much difference in my hair. I don't get enough protein though, I know that for sure. I'm getting maybe 35g a day at best and that's not enough. I'm sure someone like me, that doesn't get enough protein in their daily diet would benefit from consuming more peanut butter. Nuts and legumes in general. Protein in general. I never knew how much we needed daily until I started working out, I need more so I can build more muscle!

Dark40
May 12th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Yes, I most definitely eat peanut butter for hair growth! For many years since I've been eating it I have seen a significant amount of hair growth!!!

upnorthmama
May 13th, 2017, 06:14 AM
I love natural peanut butter spread on a row (2 squares) of 85% dark chocolate. It's like a healthy Reeces peanut butter cup!

Dragon Faery
May 14th, 2017, 01:21 PM

In one of the first few pages of this thread there's a great list of nuts and their benefits. And cashews are on that list! :cheese:

If I remember correctly, the list included:
Peanuts
Cashews
Walnuts
Brazil Nuts
Pecans
Almonds
(I think there may have been one or two more.)

And someone else mentioned hazelnuts, as well.

DarkChocolate
May 15th, 2017, 08:22 AM
I have hopped on the eating peanut butter train:)

Garnetgem
May 15th, 2017, 08:31 AM

I eat them so yummy...hmmm hair growth yes i think so they work wonders for me! a great way to eat chocolate cups filled with peanut butter without feeling guilty after all its good for hair growth! :)

Suze
May 15th, 2017, 09:41 AM
I switched my diet around last december and eat 90 percent raw food plant based diet. This means I eat a lot more nuts (and seeds) than I ever used to do. Is my hair growing faster? No. But I still believe eating a healthy balanced diet is always the best choice. I thought this post was going to be about putting peanut butter on your head as a mask. :lol:

languagenut
May 15th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Wow, with all that eating peanut butter sandwiches almost every day for as long as I can remember, coupled with sometimes getting a container of peanuts from Dollar Tree to snack on, you'd think my hair would have been growing a little faster... but it has always been pretty rugged as far as surviving through my childhood and teenage years without any protection to speak of, so maybe that zinc or whatever has helped some...

As far as the growing goes, I see the post a ways back mentions water intake; that's probably my problem. I really struggle with water intake because I almost never feel thirsty (been that way since I was a kid), so I have to intentionally make myself get some water and drink it, and I also don't like having to go to the bathroom because it makes me interrupt whatever it is I'm doing. But all that's not entirely on topic, lol!

akurah
May 15th, 2017, 09:50 PM
So it turns out my jar of PB expires in July. I'm going to be eating a lot of peanut butter to finish it off before then. I hate wasting food

Kat-Rinnè Naido
May 16th, 2017, 01:42 AM
Day: 1 spoon PB on a slice of toast with jam.

Day: 5 forging ahead.

I have never ever eaten PB before. My air passages did not close up and my tummy was able to keep it down. I find it rather difficult to eat it straight out of a spoon. I know acr691 has it in a slim milkshake daily. Now I need to find a creative and exciting way to eat peanut butter; toast and jam is getting boring.

alix.b789
May 16th, 2017, 05:00 AM
I LOVEEEE peanut butter so if its great for my hair I'll just have to eat more :D

Arctic
May 16th, 2017, 10:58 AM
My ex eats lot of peanut butter - he has male pattern baldness and slowish hair growth. :D Although it has to be mentioned that he only started the PB consumption a year or two ago. But since then he has been going through several jars per week.

Dark40
May 16th, 2017, 05:13 PM

I love to eat those reeces peanut butter cups too! That is interesting. I was wondering the same thing.

VersLaLumière
May 16th, 2017, 07:04 PM
There are studies on peanut butter regarding its pesticide levels (and other contaminations) which I find concerning. So I buy organic peanut butter and I wouldn't eat it too often.

vpatt
May 18th, 2017, 12:08 PM
As a teen I was taught peanut butter was a good protein for the diet. I was also told (but not by teachers) that it would grow bosoms on us girls. Haha

EdG
May 18th, 2017, 06:33 PM
I eat natural peanut butter all the time. :yumm:
Ed

esfand
May 19th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Yes I eat it all the time :)

RottenMango
May 7th, 2019, 02:57 AM
When I was a kid, I ate a ton of peanut butter and had gorgeous hair even with improper hair care. I’ve jumped back on the peanut butter train since I love peanut butter. I LOVE peanut butter. If I was stuck on an island and could only have one food forever, I would definitely choose peanut butter, haha.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 7th, 2019, 03:14 AM
I think it would be far better to consume the peanut butter than apply it to your hair. You'd have a dickens of a time getting it off..and all that manipulation of your hair when wet isn't a good thing.

If I remember correctly, member Arc69, who has very, very long hair, said peanut butter helped with hair growth.

Yes, she swears by it.

Hexen
May 7th, 2019, 04:56 AM
Hey why not? PB can have an appreciable protein content ratio for its physical unit of measurment. And its no real secret that protein facilitates the production of keratin. So, its egg whites for the 6 foot mohawk, peanut butter for the protien, concentrated kool aid to dye it...coconut, fish, and olive oil,...onions and molasses,...etc. And who knows, maybe even some tomato ketchup.

It all really sounds like the bizarre sandwiches this kid I knew in 4th grade would always bring to school. And he liked them!

His hair must be 80 - 90 ft long by now...

Begemot
May 7th, 2019, 05:15 AM
I don't eat peanut butter very often but different kinds of nuts I do eat quite regularly :)

Stardreamer
May 8th, 2019, 01:37 AM
Yes, she swears by it.

Do you think it really works?
I ate lots of peanut butter recently - maybe too much, but maybe I'll start eating it again. I wonder how much would be sufficient.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2019, 02:38 AM
Do you think it really works?
I ate lots of peanut butter recently - maybe too much, but maybe I'll start eating it again. I wonder how much would be sufficient.

I don't know, it can't hurt to try. I don't like it much. In any case it's next to impossible to get here, I would have to buy it online if I wanted any.

Wusel
May 8th, 2019, 04:04 AM
I eat about 100g of almonds every day. They made my hair grow very fast 4 years ago. All nuts are good.

YvetteVarie
May 8th, 2019, 06:11 AM
As a kid, I used to have porridge with peanut butter every day. My hair grew fast back then. My toddler also has porridge with peanut butter daily and his hair grows fast. I guess I'll join him in his porridge habits now

Begemot
May 8th, 2019, 06:22 AM
As a kid, I used to have porridge with peanut butter every day. My hair grew fast back then. My toddler also has porridge with peanut butter daily and his hair grows fast. I guess I'll join him in his porridge habits now

I haven't thought about putting PB in porridge but it sounds delicious!! Gotta try it.

spitfire511
May 8th, 2019, 07:19 AM
I haven't thought about putting PB in porridge but it sounds delicious!! Gotta try it.

Same! It does sound tasty and worth a try... I tend to do steel cut oats here - but that sounds really nice and different form the usual pecans and blueberries.

EdG
May 8th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Same! It does sound tasty and worth a try... I tend to do steel cut oats here - but that sounds really nice and different form the usual pecans and blueberries. I put natural peanut butter in oatmeal. It is very good. :yumm:
Ed

Stardreamer
May 8th, 2019, 04:53 PM
I tried 2 brands of PB yesterday because we didn't have my favourite brand. One was so bitter, the other was too sweet. I like it in the middle. Yuck.

Wusel
May 28th, 2019, 07:35 AM
I eat it daily right out of the jar with a spoon. Homemade in my Vitamix. Yesterday I had like 150 grams and today again 150... I practically live on PB lately and get 2/3 of my daily calories from it. Not because of my hair but because it tastes so good when it's homemade and I crave it all the time. Must be something missing in my diet which peanut butter has and I react to my body's needs. When I crave meat it's always that I don't have enough iron, so, not a bad idea to listen to your cravings. And my hair grows pretty fast... Since May 21. it's 0,6cm which is almost a quarter of an inch in a week. Looks like PB helps too.

Wusel
May 28th, 2019, 07:38 AM
I tried 2 brands of PB yesterday because we didn't have my favourite brand. One was so bitter, the other was too sweet. I like it in the middle. Yuck.

Make your own PB. That's why I do it. And it's much cheaper.

EdG
May 28th, 2019, 07:52 AM
I eat it daily right out of the jar with a spoon. Homemade in my Vitamix. Yesterday I had like 150 grams and today again 150... I practically live on PB lately and get 2/3 of my daily calories from it. Not because of my hair but because it tastes so good when it's homemade and I crave it all the time. Must be something missing in my diet which peanut butter has and I react to my body's needs. When I crave meat it's always that I don't have enough iron, so, not a bad idea to listen to your cravings. And my hair grows pretty fast... Since May 21. it's 0,6cm which is almost a quarter of an inch in a week. Looks like PB helps too. Peanut butter and other nut butters make me feel warm in a way that other foods, even fatty ones, do not. I suspect that the reason is that nut butters have the right nutrients. I eat a lot of peanut butter. :yumm:
Ed

Genne
May 28th, 2019, 07:57 AM

Hello,
I haven't had it in a while but, used to be a huge fan of peanut butter. I'd even drop a large spoonful of nutty peanut butter on top of my white rice and let it melt onto it. Sort of gave it a Thai flavor. :)

Thank you for this thread and reminder. I'm going to incorporate peanut butter into my diet.
Jen

Wusel
May 28th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Peanut butter and other nut butters make me feel warm in a way that other foods, even fatty ones, do not. I suspect that the reason is that nut butters have the right nutrients. I eat a lot of peanut butter. :yumm:
Ed

Fellow PBA (Peanut Butter Addict)!!!:cheer:

I've just bought 1800grams of peanuts to make PB tomorrow again. Homemade is SO much cheaper here in Germany! 200 grams of peanuts (without shell) cost 0,79 Euros. And a 250 gram jar of peanut butter costs around 2,90! I kept buying this expensive stuff for years until I realized that I can make it myself in my Vitamix. Sometimes I add dark chocolate for a choco-peanut-butter. :) :) :)

Begemot
May 28th, 2019, 10:31 AM

I tried it and probably used a little too much :D but it was really good, can recommend!

Wusel
May 28th, 2019, 10:39 AM
I tried it and probably used a little too much :D but it was really good, can recommend!

But you didn't add 8 tablespoons, right? Because that's how much PB I had today... LOL! I'm expecting knee-long hair tomorrow.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

BerrySara
May 28th, 2019, 10:42 AM
I noticed various posts refer to it as peanut butter and other nut butters...peanuts and other nuts...

Idk if this has already been mentioned in this thread but..peanut butter is not technically a nut butter because.. peanuts aren't nuts! They are legumes...

*Everyone rolling their eyes at the overly literal party pooper*

blackgothicdoll
May 28th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I noticed various posts refer to it as peanut butter and other nut butters...peanuts and other nuts...

Idk if this has already been mentioned in this thread but..peanut butter is not technically a nut butter because.. peanuts aren't nuts! They are legumes...

*Everyone rolling their eyes at the overly literal party pooper*

The door is that way.

:rollin: :rollin:

BerrySara
May 28th, 2019, 10:54 AM
The door is that way.

:rollin: :rollin:

lol say no more *quickly leaves the room in fear*

Begemot
May 28th, 2019, 11:09 AM
But you didn't add 8 tablespoons, right? Because that's how much PB I had today... LOL! I'm expecting knee-long hair tomorrow.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

:lol: :lol: That portion would have been almost half porridge half PB lol. Hoping to see your peanut butter fueled long hair as soon as possible! ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2019, 11:16 AM

With that much PB your hair will surely be knee length in the next three hours! :p

Wusel
May 28th, 2019, 11:45 AM
With that much PB your hair will surely be knee length in the next three hours! :p

:agree: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Last year my hair grew very fast when I was heavily addicted to eating huge amounts of peanut butter every day. One week I ate 1,5 kilos of it. And nothing else, besides my daily breakfast eggs. There must be something addictive to it since there are many ppl who say that they just can't stop eating it when they have a PB jar at home. And I get really grumpy when it's Sunday, all shops are closed and I have no PB at home. LOL!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2019, 01:07 PM
:agree: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Last year my hair grew very fast when I was heavily addicted to eating huge amounts of peanut butter every day. One week I ate 1,5 kilos of it. And nothing else, besides my daily breakfast eggs. There must be something addictive to it since there are many ppl who say that they just can't stop eating it when they have a PB jar at home. And I get really grumpy when it's Sunday, all shops are closed and I have no PB at home. LOL!

It's probably not so good to have huge amounts of any one thing though...:( all foods in moderation, the saying goes.

Lady Stardust
May 28th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Hello,
I haven't had it in a while but, used to be a huge fan of peanut butter. I'd even drop a large spoonful of nutty peanut butter on top of my white rice and let it melt onto it. Sort of gave it a Thai flavor. :)

Thank you for this thread and reminder. I'm going to incorporate peanut butter into my diet.
Jen

I read this post around dinner time and I was making red Thai curry, so we had a dollop of peanut butter on the jasmine rice and it was lovely! Thank you for the suggestion :)

sillyme
May 28th, 2019, 03:13 PM
I used to eat a spoonful of peanut butter and a spoonful of honey in my morning bowl of oatmeal. It was yummy, but I kind of got tired of it. Now I put almonds and dates in my oatmeal. I do have quite fast hair growth. At least, it grows a "little" faster than the average 1/2" a month. So maybe there is something in the nuts and legumes that makes it grow faster. I do know that I just feel better when I get healthy fats in my body.

vpatt
May 29th, 2019, 04:43 AM
I eat lots of healthy fats with not much hair growth. Maybe it is the extra proteins? I have lost weight, but my hair is growing very slooowly. Lots of new hair coming in just not fast growth of length.

MermaidDreads
August 23rd, 2019, 10:07 PM
I'm a complete peanut butter addict. So if it's even remotely possible that it's healthy for my hair then I'll use that as my excuse to eat some. Haha. I'll consider eating it part of my hair care routine.

yulia396
September 9th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Yes, I believe nuts help your hair grow, but what gives you the most length is a balanced and healthy diet + lots of water. And treating it like silk, I can't stress this enough. Hair likes to be compact, so don't flip it around much. Less tangles = less breakage = hair feels good => more growth. When hair feels good it grows pretty fast. Mine always grew a little faster when I took good care of it, was extra gentle with brushing and just generally gave it TLC.

For PB I'd suggest you make your own at home or look for bio ones without sugar. I heard from another LHC-er that many have pesticides in them... and anyway, lots of sugar and preservatives.

"The USDA found 8 pesticides in peanut butter, and piperonyl butoxide, a carcinogen, was found 26.9 percent of the time." According to Google research. For more info, you can check here (https://www.treehugger.com/green-food/whats-causing-all-these-peanut-allergies.html)

So for your health and if I were you, I'd be aware of what I eat. I personally try to avoid sugar. But a natural PB and some honey is yumyum!

Aroha
September 10th, 2019, 12:52 AM
I love peanut butter and eat it straight from the spoon, more than I think I should. I like my hair too, so I don't know if the two are connected.
Unfortunately it stalls weight loss, when that is the goal, but for all other reasons it is perfect.

Tinyponies
September 10th, 2019, 02:20 AM
Good points yulia. I always get the ones that are 100% peanuts (very occasionally I get one with a little added salt, but try to avoid that too) and here in the uk the 100% ones are usually labelled organic. You don’t need to eat more than a spoonful a day to benefit, so a pot can last a long time.

It’s important to consider that when we say “peanut butter” that incorporates a whole load of different products with wildly different ingredients.

I do think my fingernails are growing stronger since adding pb to my diet after reading this thread some months ago so hopefully my hair is benefitting too.

Tinyponies
May 1st, 2020, 12:05 AM
Still eating about a tablespoon of 100% peanut butter (organic, no salt, no palm oil) every day and I have to say this is the best my fingernails have ever been. Hopefully there’s some improvement in my hair too.

desisparkles
May 1st, 2020, 01:59 AM
Oooh!! I love pb. I’m willing to eat more for any good reason and nails and hair sound like winning reasons to me.

Begemot
May 1st, 2020, 03:18 AM
For about four months I ate a tablespoonful of PB 5-6 days a week. I don't think it affected my growth rate but it was delicious.

Hairkay
May 1st, 2020, 03:22 AM
I keep passing this thread. The only thing I recall about peanut butter and hair growth is an old children's fantasy movie where a boy lost his hair due to a fright and used a peanut butter hair formula to regrow it quickly. The only problem was it grew too fast and by the next day hair was down to his ankles and still growing.:lol: He then had to find a way to get his hair to stop the rapid growth.

May 1st, 2020, 01:25 PM
That sounds... Very tasty ;).

Maybe I'll try it, but mayo first xP.

Tinyponies
May 2nd, 2020, 09:49 AM
I keep passing this thread. The only thing I recall about peanut butter and hair growth is an old children's fantasy movie where a boy lost his hair due to a fright and used a peanut butter hair formula to regrow it quickly. The only problem was it grew too fast and by the next day hair was down to his ankles and still growing.:lol: He then had to find a way to get his hair to stop the rapid growth.

Haha!

From what I’ve read, peanut butter is one off the foods high in biotin so maybe that’s it? Anyway I’m sure the oils are doing me a favour as there wasn’t much in my diet previously.

Garnetgem
May 2nd, 2020, 06:25 PM
My hair didn't grow faster but it did appear more shiny and healthier,apples seem the best for me for growth...

Tinyponies
May 3rd, 2020, 01:38 AM
My hair didn't grow faster but it did appear more shiny and healthier,apples seem the best for me for growth...
Oh! Dear beautiful apples :yum:
I planted four little apple trees last year and they’ve all just flowered. :inlove:

Garnetgem
May 3rd, 2020, 11:34 AM
Oh! Dear beautiful apples :yum:
I planted four little apple trees last year and they’ve all just flowered. :inlove:

Ah yes apples worked well pink ladies being my fave but any apples i assume are great ...sure i saw a thread about the affects of apples on here once hmm must find it! how lovely your own apple trees :)