PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating!.....and elastic question

kittengirl
February 23rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
My hair is finally long enough to do a fairly good french braid tuck! I'm excited. I use the hair-safe elastics with no metal on them to tie off the end, and bobby pins to put it up. Is this a safe choice? Are bobby pins ok? I never used to think about these things but since I joined LHC I do! :)

Zhennni(:
February 23rd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Elastics are not the best for your hair but I use them anyway:P just make sure youre not using it at the same spot everyday, since that would cause friciton in the same area & cause damage. I think bobbi pins are the same way, just make sure to pull it apart when u take them out so they are not snagging on your hair:)

kittengirl
February 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Elastics are not the best for your hair but I use them anyway:P just make sure youre not using it at the same spot everyday, since that would cause friciton in the same area & cause damage. I think bobbi pins are the same way, just make sure to pull it apart when u take them out so they are not snagging on your hair:)

I wonder what would be better? Do you think those wider, old fashioned hair pins are better? Is there anything besides elastic that would work? Maybe I should just stick with my growing collection of flexi8?

maborosi
February 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
I generally use non-metal elastics to secure things like braids. They should be fine, provided you're not using them too tightly and in the same spot every day. Some people will even put silk ribbons underneath their elastics to reduce damage, or just skip them altogether and tie with ribbons.

Same sorta thing with pins. Just be careful the ends are not sharp or could cause breakage, and be gentle when you clip your hair with them.

Congrats on your goal, too! :flower: those mini milestones are just the best, aren't they? :)

~maborosi~

kittengirl
February 23rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
I generally use non-metal elastics to secure things like braids. They should be fine, provided you're not using them too tightly and in the same spot every day. Some people will even put silk ribbons underneath their elastics to reduce damage, or just skip them altogether and tie with ribbons.

Same sorta thing with pins. Just be careful the ends are not sharp or could cause breakage, and be gentle when you clip your hair with them.

Congrats on your goal, too! :flower: those mini milestones are just the best, aren't they? :)

~maborosi~
Yes they are! I always feel like once I can french braid I'm on my way, even though my hair is still pretty short. :)

maborosi
February 23rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
Yes they are! I always feel like once I can french braid I'm on my way, even though my hair is still pretty short. :)

Oh! Your hair's current length (20 inches) is my goal for the end of the year, coincidentally.

Sadly, I am...well, a bit challenged in the French/Dutch braiding department. If I start practicing shorter this time, I think I won't get so darn frustrated with 'em.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask someone...since you mentioned you've got flexi-8s...how do you like them? Do they live up to all the hype? I've been wanting to invest in one for when my hair gets longer.

~maborosi~

kittengirl
February 23rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
Oh! Your hair's current length (20 inches) is my goal for the end of the year, coincidentally.

Sadly, I am...well, a bit challenged in the French/Dutch braiding department. If I start practicing shorter this time, I think I won't get so darn frustrated with 'em.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask someone...since you mentioned you've got flexi-8s...how do you like. Them? Do they live up to all the hype? I've been wanting to invest in one for when my hair gets longer.

~maborosi~
I only just got my flexis (small and extra small) two days ago. At first I thought I didn't like them, but now I'm thinking I do. The small ended up being a hair (no pun intended) too small for my pony...as in, it fits but feels a bit too tight, so I'm going to order a medium and large for my french twist. They certainly are lovely to look at. I'm willing to try them more. Are you growing out from a pixie too?

Madora
February 24th, 2012, 06:50 AM
My hair is finally long enough to do a fairly good french braid tuck! I'm excited. I use the hair-safe elastics with no metal on them to tie off the end, and bobby pins to put it up. Is this a safe choice? Are bobby pins ok? I never used to think about these things but since I joined LHC I do! :)

Bobby pins are meant to hold small whisps of hair and are not as flexible as crimped hair pins. They're also more hair friendly than bobby pins because they don't need to be pried apart like a bobby pin. Crimped hairpins also are much easier to remove from your hair than bobby pins because they don't catch and pull at your strands.

It is HOW you use the hairpin that determines how well it secures the style. You insert it down through the outer edge of the braid so that the "feet" are facing the scalp, then "scoop" up a tiny bit of scalp hair then weave the hairpin back into the braid in an up and down motion.

Hairpins come in various sizes and a 2 inch size would be ideal for smaller braids. If your French braid is thick, then a 3 inch crimped pin would work better.

If after finishing your French braid you have enough tassle left over, you could just tuck in the hair under the braid, with no need to tie it off with anything. It just depends on how dexterous you are with your fingers.

If you need to rely on an elastic, then just try and vary where you place it each day.

Jessfoz
February 24th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Also perhaps seeing as you're 'tucking' the hair under, maybe you can use little scrunchies which are less damaging and you won't see them. I have scrunchies which are the size of normal elastics (so not big and puffy).

lostchyld
February 24th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Bobby pins are meant to hold small whisps of hair and are not as flexible as crimped hair pins. They're also more hair friendly than bobby pins because they don't need to be pried apart like a bobby pin. Crimped hairpins also are much easier to remove from your hair than bobby pins because they don't catch and pull at your strands.

It is HOW you use the hairpin that determines how well it secures the style. You insert it down through the outer edge of the braid so that the "feet" are facing the scalp, then "scoop" up a tiny bit of scalp hair then weave the hairpin back into the braid in an up and down motion.

This is something I've started to suspect. I'll be adding these to the stash in my desk, I think. If my hair stick addiction wears off enough that I need them again. =D

On a side note, I totally miss the buttons I have on Ravelry. It's way handy to be able to click the "Interesting" button on a post and not have to actually say anything. Oh, and the "Love" button. And Ravelry shows which post someone is replying to, so the conversation threads more easily... I'm so spoiled.

heidi w.
February 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
In general, bobby pins are safe. There are 3 types of hair pins. The classic bobby pins. The u-shaped hairpins (that have a squiggle for a little bit on each side of the pin). The hair roller pin (what people often refer to as long bobby pins).

When I pin my hair up, I use the hair roller pins for anchoring an updo and then use hair pins to tuck wisps of hair.

http://www.google.com/#q=hairpins+for+sale&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=sMxHT9uoK-qkiQK0wuzaDQ&ved=0CG0QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=6c6e7fb7f34f0e80&biw=1280&bih=536
PICTURES OF HAIR PINS.

http://www.google.com/#q=bobby+pins+for+sale&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=9cxHT7fxMaKwiQK-uYDbDQ&ved=0CHgQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=6c6e7fb7f34f0e80&biw=1280&bih=536
BOBBY PINS

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=hair+roller+pins&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=4798l6624l2l6967l16l15l0l0l0l0l312l3244l2-12.1l13l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=536&wrapid=tlif133010561866510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16272170413015849177&sa=X&ei=Mc1HT4m3JMOgiQKM9PXaDQ&ved=0CH4Q8wIwAw#
HAIR ROLLER PINS or Long Bobby Pins

http://www.mennonitemaiden.com/amish-hairpins-3quo3.html
AMISH HAIR PINS (Steel)

I'm thinking of 2 other kind of alternative hair pins, and can't find an image of them, though.

The key for all 3 of these is to ensure the tip of the bobby pin remains in tact and isn't peeled off or lifted up. Once that occurs, toss that hairpin.

There are newer types of hairpins such as Amish hair pins. The best way to remove these pins with minimal pulling and hair tearout is to take the updo down in reverse order, and remove the pins as you proceed, just as you insert them as you proceed in creating an updo.

heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
February 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I personally find bobby pins damaging. I avoid them.

Scrunchies are better then elastics.

heidi w.
February 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM
As you become more skilled, you will find you do not need to tie off braids if it's going in an updo, and you will not need tie offs in general at all. (a lot of people have to tie the hair in a ponytail before they braid, and with practice, this step can be skipped.)

heidi w.

Madora
February 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
As you become more skilled, you will find you do not need to tie off braids if it's going in an updo, and you will not need tie offs in general at all. (a lot of people have to tie the hair in a ponytail before they braid, and with practice, this step can be skipped.)

heidi w.

^ ^ ^ Yes, it can be done..but helps if your hair is slightly tapered..and longer. How you section it can help too.

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I think there is damage with them but its minimal as long as you exercise caution.

kittengirl
February 24th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Wow, this is all great info, thank you all so much! I find out so many things on LHC that I never thought about before! I think perhaps I will try to get some crimped hairpins. I don't know if my local wal-mart will have them, so I might have to look online.

danceri110
February 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I've found that the tiny clear one-use elastics generally cause less damage because they're quite slippery and come right out with no snagging, tugging or pulling. You can get them at Sally's or any drugstore (CVS, Rite Aide, etc) for very cheap :D