PDA

View Full Version : diet and hair growth/condition

amanda_the_tall
February 23rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
i feel like i'm making 20,000 posts, but here's another question: how has your diet affected your hair growth/condition? if you eat junky food, does it seem to grow slower, scalp get dirty faster, etc? do you find eating healthier has any noticeable effect on how fast it grows or how shiny it looks? sorry if there already was a thread, i tried doing a search, but every time i try it comes up with too much traffic on the server. :coffee: for all those who must pull an all nighter for a ridiculous test, like me

_Oasis_
February 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
I find my eating habits do affect my hair. I find eating a lot of protein, taking vitamins every day, staying hydrated and eating tons of fruits/vegetables has had a big impact on growth and health of my hair. My skin looks a lot better, too. :P When I eat junk food in moderation, it doesn't make any noticeable differences on my hair.

jeanniet
February 23rd, 2012, 10:35 PM
I've had disordered eating habits for years, and sometimes I eat very, very well and sometimes very, very badly. In my case, I don't think it's made a whit of difference to my hair. It seems to grow just as fast, and be just as thick and healthy, no matter what. I've never had huge sheds because of diet, anyway. What affects it most is how I handle it in terms of detangling and such. But I do think a healthy diet is a good thing!

Fethenwen
February 23rd, 2012, 11:47 PM
I don't think I have noticed that much change either.
Many years back when I had long hair before I cut it again it was more damaged for sure (did not use LHC methods back then) but it grew fairly quick even though my diet was horrible (pasta, sausages, chips, too little vegetables etc.)

Now it is thicker, might be due to my new hair habits, and it grows just as fast as it did before. I'm more conscious about what I eat and my diet is vegan.

maborosi
February 23rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
Hard to say for sure. I do know that when I'm eating healthy and staying well hydrated, mybskin and nails look so much better. I imagine it's helping my hair out, too, though I'm not noticing my hair growing ridiculously fast or anything....yet.

~maborosi~

vintage88
February 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM
As others have said, healthy eating and drinking lots of water has without a doubt made a difference to my nails and skin, as well as giving me more energy, and I have found I am very rarely ill, whereas before I used to get colds quite often. I haven't noticed a difference in hair growth, but i'm sure that the fact im eating more protein has made my hair stronger, and it seems shinier too. Who knows, maybe it will improve growth but I have only changed my diet in the last few months, maybe it will take a little longer to notice any changes with growth rate :)

rock007junkie
February 24th, 2012, 07:31 AM
My hair always seemed to grow at an acceptable rate. Once I started taking vitamins and upped my protein intake I notice a huge difference. Not only is it growing faster but shinier and healthier.

LadyCelestina
February 24th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Not really,except for that when I'm not getting decent nutrition (i.e. enough food),my hair sheds a little more than it usually does. :o

PixxieStix
February 24th, 2012, 08:05 AM
The only time in my life where my diet was what I would consider poor (as in, not eating enough, not that I was eating junk food), I was constantly shaving my head and not paying attention, so I don't know if it affected my hair or not! I do know now though that my diet really affects how I feel, which affects how I think about and treat my hair, which does have an impact on its health. I'm sure with good protein intake and a well balanced diet my hair must grow stronger, as my nails do (not faster, but stronger). Not sure how helpful that was but those are my thoughts and experiences. :)

Bedhead
February 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
In my shampoo days, my diet certainly reflected how fast my hair started to get oily looking. I've noticed during a not so good diet time, my reds were loosing their, well, red, and my hair was much drier, not as shiny, and yes, did tend to shed more.

StPaulaGirl
February 24th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I'm a big believer in you are what you eat, so for me, I'd have to say yes, I do see an improvement in my hair and nails and skin when I eat a healthy diet (lots of water, fruits, veggies, protein-rich foods). The biggest indicator is probably my nails - years ago, when I used to eat poorly (not enough veggies and a lot of processed foods) my nails would bend and break easily and get white spots on them (I've heard it say that's because your body is lacking calcium). Once my diet improved my nails did too: no more white spots, a much faster growth rate, and no brittleness at all. My hair seems to grow faster as well, although I never measured it until recently, so I can't say for sure. But a good diet can certainly help!

shawty
February 24th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Yep. One month I ate a diet specifically tailored to hair growth and I got an inch of new growth in that month. But it involved a lot of avocados and tempeh; I couldn't (financially) afford to continue.

cyndyrella
February 24th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I do agree that you are what you eat. Ever since I started eating more fish (specially salmon) my hair and skin are looking so much better!

Oksana
February 24th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I tend to eat a health diet and don't consumer much junk/bad food at all. I have noticed that if I drink more water then I get a little faster growth.

heidi w.
February 24th, 2012, 12:25 PM
A healthy diet is a foundation of overall good health, hair included. Whatever one's diet is, make sure one is eating enough protein. All humans need protein. Insufficient protein can lead to a lot of problems, healthwise.

heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
February 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I was never really a junk food eater. The only differences in my diet in the last ten years have been going from vegetarian to vegan and then not eating gluten. I do sometimes eat vegan junk food, but compared to standard junk food it's not really that junky. I never noticed a difference in my hair.

Madora
February 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
If you're not getting enough iron, your hair will pay the price. It happened to me..out of the blue...because I was not aware that I was anemic. But my hair was shedding much more than usual..and thinning. I ended up in the emergency room and required several transfusions.

Everything is back on track..but my hair's thickness on the right side is nothing like it used to be.