PDA

View Full Version : Nioxin for hair growth?

goldcopperbrown
February 23rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
A girl I know says she uses Nioxin system 4 for hair growth (even though her hair isn't noticeably thinning). I used it and I felt it was a little too trying but maybe System 3 would be better. Plus, my hair was very damaged at the time. Is there any truth to her claim?

Shimmy
February 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I've thought about using it to.......hoping someone here has some input on Nioxin

maborosi
February 24th, 2012, 05:40 PM
This should be interesting. Does anyone know what ingredients are in Nioxin? There seem to be mixed reviews online regarding the effectiveness of it in treating hair loss/thinning.

~maborosi~

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I would really like to know! At a local beauty store they were selling the shampoo for $4.I hope I didn't miss a deal :p

Bunnysaur
February 24th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I heard that it does help hair growth, but that was on a rather shady website in some far out corner of the internet, so I'm not sure I trust it.
Their website says that the cleanser part of the system removes "follicle-clogging sebum, fatty acids and environmental residues from the scalp skin and hair" and I've always thought that any good clarifying shampoo (or a good ACV rinse) should do that anyway.

maborosi
February 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I heard that it does help hair growth, but that was on a rather shady website in some far out corner of the internet, so I'm not sure I trust it.
Their website says that the cleanser part of the system removes "follicle-clogging sebum, fatty acids and environmental residues from the scalp skin and hair" and I've always thought that any good clarifying shampoo (or a good ACV rinse) should do that anyway.

The formula apparently also contains "herbal extracts" or something like that.

It'd be really interesting to find an ingredient list and figure out what makes it work.

~maborosi~

blondyhead
February 24th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I've heard of using Biotin for hair, so does Nioxin do the same thing??

Bunnysaur
February 24th, 2012, 06:21 PM
"Herbal extracts"? I can't find their ingredients lists anywhere either.

It seems like a lot of things that claim to make hair grow says they have some sort of herbal something or another in them. Has anyone had any luck putting any herbs on their head? I'm curious now. :P

TeaEarlGreyHot
February 25th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I've used it before. I have a hormone imbalance and the past year I lost A LOT of hair and used it to slow down hair loss. I unfortunately stopped using it too soon and lost a lot more. Whatever system I used it made my hair too clean- very squeaky and tangles! It was great on my scalp, so maybe if you really used a small amount and concentrated on your scalp and didn't get too much on the length you'd be okay. For me I'm not sure about growth, because I was using it for extreme shedding and for that it did work.

finzi
June 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I just wrote about this over on this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88658&highlight=nioxin) (second post). I'm happy with my hair after the first wash and hope I'll see some improvement over the coming months. I'll stick with it, I'm desperate! ;)

I was interested to read of other experiences here. One thing I would add is that perhaps it is wiser to make decisions about these things based on reviews and reported experience rather than theory and conjecture about the ingredients in these products etc. I mean no disrespect to people who have offered theories as to how the products will work, but there are so many places we can visit now to read of first-hand experiences. I read around on places like LHC, Makeup Alley and even Amazon. Reviews varied a little, but the majority reported good results and I thought that it was worth a shot.

I'm using System 1.

Carissamarie08
June 27th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I just take the Nioxin hair supplements in a bottle with about 90 capsules I think... Twice a day and that has worked great for me.

gonzobird
June 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
From what I know... stimulates the scalp to revive the follicles that may be shutting down otherwise. I know a lot of people it helped. I'm not a fan of all the chemicals in it though. Not for me, but seems to work.

swearnsue
June 27th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'm off to Google Nioxin! There was a question about if anyone uses herbs topically for hair. I use henna and sometimes mix other herbs into the henna like cassia or amla. I love henna for conditioning but haven't really tried other herbs like oregano and such as that.

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Nioxin is specific program for those with thinning hair, such as because of balding. It combats a specific type of hair loss. Their program is fairly comprehensive with shampoos and even vitamins. It takes a bit of using it for it to begin working, and when you stop using it, it ceases to work. I knew a lady once who was experiencing hair thinning and she used the Nioxin hair vitamins, and she felt her hair had thickened back up, and was happy with her results.

I do not know a lot about the program, but it is commonly represented at hair shows.

In the industry they have a fairly good reputation, and they're along the lines of a Rogaine program. Similar idea.

So, the first thing to find out if your hair is thinning, is the why is it thinning? That directs the solution a lot. If it's too much testosterone production, Nioxin may be able to help you. The vitamins might be worthy to some people......but I hear they are expensive. The whole program is expensive. A vendor who carries this product in their store, should be able to tell you how the program works, what to use in what order, etc.

heidi w.

swearnsue
June 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I found the ingredients in their shampoo
Ingredients
Aqua/Water, TEA-Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Wheat Amino Acids, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Cocamide MEA, Aloe Barbadensis, PEG-150 Distearate, Panthenol, Polysorbate-60, Polysorbate-80, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Acetamide MEA, Ethoxydiglycol, Coenzyme A, Coenzyme B5, Coenzyme B6, Coenzyme B12, Coenzyme Folate, Coenzyme Nicotinate, Coenzyme Q6-10, Coenzyme R, Coenzyme Riboflavin, Coenzyme Thiamine, Achillea Millefolium,

Directions
Apply to wet hait. Lather one minute. Rinse. Follow with Nioxin Scalp Therapy System 1.

finzi
June 29th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I used these products for the second time yesterday and today decided that they will probably be far too drying in the long run. Yes, I can oil in between washes but I wanted to see if there is anything else I can do to protect the lengths of my hair while the products are doing their job on my scalp! I just spoke to a customer adviser using the contact details given on the Nioxin website (https://nioxin.com/en-EN/For-salon-professionals/contact-us/register-for-a-nioxin-visit-page.aspx). She told me the second stage of the system, the conditioner, is really designed for the scalp and that many customers benefit from using a different, more moisturising conditioner, on the length and only using the Nioxin conditioner on the scalp.

I'm going to do this from now on and will try my beloved Mastey conditioner next time I wash. My scalp is still behaving itself and I want to carry on using the Nioxin but do NOT want to end up with straw for hair! :D

ETA: I used the Nioxin conditioner on my scalp as directed for both washes and have had no problems. It occurs to me that perhaps the Nioxin might be a good option for a CO wash as long as the user doesn't mind clarifying once in a while - the System 1 conditioner contains dimethicone and quaternium 18.

Rini
June 29th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I have used it when I was experiencing a rather heavy shed a few years back. It worked well for me in stopping so much hair shed, but I can't say I noticed faster growing hair (just less shedding).

I like the shampoo (kind of minty) and the conditioner is nice too. I also had the scalp treatment but didn't like that so much. It IS very expensive though :(

Come to think of it, I have some in my cupboard which I might use up. I'm not shedding, but I don't like to waste such an expensive product :D

hototogisu
June 29th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I use System 3, and I use the whole shebang - conditioner, shampoo, scalp treatment - and I've bee using it for about two years.

I have hormonal hair loss as a result of the birth control I was using, and I feel Nioxin has helped enormously. I think it helps to slow the amount of shedding, and the scalp treatment is great as it contains sunscreen, so if you have a scalpy part and fair hair like I do it helps prevent sunburn.

I think of the system as skincare for my scalp, rather than haircare. I CWC, and only apply the Nioxin conditioner to my scalp, and use a more moisturising conditioner for the final condition on my lengths.

I bought my products from Strawberrynet and have had a really great experience with them. I'm not sure if it helps with making hair grow faster, but it sure helped with my hair loss!

akilina
June 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM
If you are going to use Nioxin you have to remember to see results, you have to use each step in whatever system you need, and stick to it.
I only sold Nioxin to 2 or 3 clients. One lady said she definitely saw results of her hair thickening/shedding less but as she said exactly...she has to stick with it and use all the steps in the system that suits her hair.
Also a thing to remember is that Nioxin isn't a magical hair growth product. Don't expect it to make your hair grow fast.
This is how I feel about Nioxin: Don't use it unless you really need it.

finzi
June 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I use System 3, and I use the whole shebang - conditioner, shampoo, scalp treatment - and I've bee using it for about two years.

I have hormonal hair loss as a result of the birth control I was using, and I feel Nioxin has helped enormously. I think it helps to slow the amount of shedding, and the scalp treatment is great as it contains sunscreen, so if you have a scalpy part and fair hair like I do it helps prevent sunburn.

I think of the system as skincare for my scalp, rather than haircare. I CWC, and only apply the Nioxin conditioner to my scalp, and use a more moisturising conditioner for the final condition on my lengths.

I bought my products from Strawberrynet and have had a really great experience with them. I'm not sure if it helps with making hair grow faster, but it sure helped with my hair loss!

Thanks for sharing. I think my shedding and growth problems are also due to the birth control pill and hope that I'll see good results. From what I've read, Nioxin seems to work well for the hormonal causes of hair loss and thinning. I had next to no shedding from my last two washes so am desperately optimistic!

finzi
June 29th, 2012, 09:03 AM
If you are going to use Nioxin you have to remember to see results, you have to use each step in whatever system you need, and stick to it.

Yup, I agree that when using something like this it's important to use as directed. It's pointless to decide that one doesn't need to follow the advice of the manufacturers and then complain that the product hasn't worked! I'm using the scalp treatment spray every day, not just the days when I wash. Will keep at it.

CocoBean
January 11th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Thank you for posting. I just started using Nioxin last Sunday, and getting ready to wash again tonight. Using System 3. I'm hoping it will help stop the shedding that I seem to always have, it's because of my thyroid. I am very hopeful now that it may really work. Is twice or once a week enough? I can't wash my hair everyday or I'd be bald in no time for sure... regardless of my thick hair LOL :-)

finzi
January 16th, 2013, 04:42 AM
I had to stop using this. I found that the scalp conditioner was really irritating it. It felt itchy and got a little out of control! Flakes were in abundance :( I tried to carry on just using the shampoo and scalp spray but then my scalp just felt INSANELY dry. Ho hum.

BBdck1
January 18th, 2013, 02:16 AM
My boyfriend have thinning hair and use system 2 for about a year but stopped. We noticed that his hair look thicker but We don't think that he shed any less just that each strand is thicker and more 'frizzy' looking. The formula is very drying. Since then he's been using Pura d'or Hair Loss Prevention shampoo. It's been 5 months and he said he actually noticed less shredding. The ingredients also seem very gentle. It's on the pricey side so we wait when there's a groupon deal.