PDA

View Full Version : Lye To Destroy Hair

Vanille_
February 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm just curious if anyone uses lye in their shower drain to help with hair clogging. Is it safe?

bumblebums
February 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
I use a plunger, and if that doesn't work, a bent coat hanger. Then I break out the chemicals (starting with the ol' baking soda then vinegar then hot water, usually, but eventually graduating to the liquid plumr-type concoctions).

Anje
February 23rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
I highly recommend trying a tool like a Zip It (http://zipitclean.com/) (silly website, but it tells where to get the things; they're fairly ubiquitous) to try to unclog before dumping chemicals down there. Often, that's sufficient to solve the standard longhair clog problems.

Lye isn't exactly safe, especially if you get it on you. (It dissolves hair, after all. Don't expect your skin to do better! Flush with a lot of water if you touch it.) It can get pretty hot in pipes, and I'm not certain of what it'll do to a septic system. It should do the trick, but I think it's really better for grease-clogged drains, because it effectively changes any clogging fats into soap.

RapunzelKat
February 23rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
When I first read your title I thought you meant to use it on your hair on your head!! :bigeyes: :eek: I was like, Noooo!!! until I read your post :D

On topic, I've had good luck using a coathanger and/or some Liquid Plumr. ;)

spidermom
February 23rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
My husband the plumber won't allow such chemicals in the house. They can react with other chemicals in your drain and blow back into your face. They can corrode your plumbing. They can injure the plumber that you might decide to hire, and then you'll have a lawsuit on your hands instead of a clogged drain.

Malibu Barbie
February 23rd, 2012, 02:59 PM
I have been known to pour Nair down the drain when hair is the problem seems to work well....I also use a zip it and a plunger.