PDA

View Full Version : Dry and Split Ends.

Chastain
February 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Last summer I had long, thick dark hair down to my back and I loved it so much. Since then the ends started getting split and dry and i had to have several inches cut off. I was so upset and then I had to get a couple more inches of because the ends where so dry.

Now my hair is so short and i hate it. I want to prevent having any more cut of and want it to grow back as fast as possible.

Are there any particular products that work that will treat split or dry ends well? Or anything that will possibly increase growth speed?

Thanks.

rock007junkie
February 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
I would moisturize ends constantly. Sometimes the dryness is a huge factor in splits. Most of the time I apply some moisturizer, oil or butter to my ends daily and that seems to keep them nice and healthy

Amber_Maiden
February 23rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Oil ends and S&D.

Anje
February 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
It's really more about making sure the hair stays undamaged than it is about repairing ends. You can temporarily smooth them, but split ends stay split.

The basics:
Heat isn't good for hair. Less blow frying and straightening is better, and cooler temperatures are better than really hot.
Chemical treatments aren't good for hair. Bleach, high volume developers, formaldehyde, and perms all affect your hair structure negatively, though how much can vary drastically from person to person.
Friction isn't good for hair. Try to keep your hair from rubbing or getting caught under purse/backpack straps and behind you when you sit in chairs. Pull it over your shoulder.
Tangles aren't good for hair. Wearing it loose is fun, but consider braiding it and/or bunning it regularly, to keep the tangles and wear and tear to a minimum.

PrairieRose
February 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
First I want to say Welcome to LHC!!!
I agree with the others, oil your ends, S & D, trim if needed. I like jojoba oil and Camellia oil. The Camellia oil has proved to be very good for my hair and not to heavy:)

Chastain
February 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Thank you guys :)
I don't straighten or put product in my hair but the hairdresser said it might be in bad condition because of stress.

I will try will oil after a wash. Thanks for the advice!

Anje
February 23rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Conditioner is important for most longhairs, too. If you're not using conditioner, especially on the ends, start doing so. I prefer rinse-outs to leaving conditioner on my hair, but everyone's different.

(Once you get into the "things to do" there are lots of exceptions to everything, unfortunately.)

cuties
February 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
I second the conditioner one. For a couple of years, I didn't use conditioner at all and I constantly got split ends so much that I used to get a trim every 6-8 weeks. I didn't even use any heat styling. That is when I realized the importance of conditioner. Now that I use it every time I wash my hair, I haven't had any split ends in last 4 months.

Also I was reading in some magazine the other day that for people with dry/split ends, they should soak their hair ends in EVOO at least once a week for 1/2 hr and doing it for 6 months will prevent you from having split ends in your life provided you don't abuse your hair with heat after that. I haven't tried that, but it did cite a few examples.

Madora
February 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Whatever oil you decide to use, your hair might benefit first from a clarrying shampoo. This is to "prepare the ground" so to speak, by removing any buildup on your tresses so that what you do put on it afterwards is more efficacious.

Here's more information on using mineral oil (baby oil) to help keep your hair moisturized:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88347

Another MO discussion here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

I would also suggest that you try and remove any damage from split ends or white dots, before you begin the treatment.

Good luck! Also, be careful not to use too much oil! If you go overboard, some oils need several shampooings to get the stuff out..and the less you have to manipulate your strands, the better for your hair.