PDA

View Full Version : Products to use while growing hair long???

goldcopperbrown
February 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
I'm looking to grow my hair to mid-back. It's slightly above bra strap length right now. Ideally I'd like 8 inches of growth, so nothing totally wacky here :) My hair used to be waist-length when I was 13, but since i started coloring it, things went awry and it's difficult to grow. I've stopped coloring it (hopefully) but I realize that my hair now has different needs than before it was colored (I used to just use SOAP on it)

Anyway, I was going cone-free but I realize the tangles from cone-free products might cause more damage than silicones! I've been looking at the following hair products (I need moisture more than protein):

L'Oreal Evercreme intense nourishing
L'Oreal Vive for long dry/damaged hair
L'Oreal Vive with royal jelly
Aussie moist
Herbal Essences hydrating

Any other ideas? I generally dont' want to spend too much :)

Avital88
February 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Fructis, the tripple oil nutrition line and Dove intense repair.. both are cheap and work good:)

rock007junkie
February 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
I would start using coconut oil. It's pretty beneficial and relatively cheap.

catamonica
February 23rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Try mane & tail shampoo. My hair went from just past midback to one inch past my waist in 2009. I added two capfuls of olive oil. I read that olive oil promtes growth but Im not sure. But the shampoo has protein & it works. Also bunning your hair five days a week promtes growth.
Between Nov. & Jan this year my hair went from one inch past waist to hip. I also add aloe vera
to my conditioner. I read that promtes growth. But it makes your hair baby soft.

Lipbalmbabe
February 23rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Try castor oil by Hollywood beauty! My miracle product, also lavender and rosemary oil are great when added to co. Good luck!

Anje
February 23rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Well, I do well with CO washing with silicone-free, protein-free products, but my hair probably has different needs and preferences than yours. (Silicones seem to actively dry mine out, for example, and it'll be acting dry about 3 days after a single application in many cases.)

If your previously-colored hair seems fragile or stretchy, you might do well to use a protein conditioner. Even a "reconstructor" if it seems bad.

When you want moisture, most people can't go wrong with doing an SMT (look in the recipes). The results are really soft and shiny.

Long_hair_bear
February 23rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Toadstool makes awesome shampoo and condish! I highly recommend! I love her blue lilac scent!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps

Long_hair_bear
February 23rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Toadstool makes awesome shampoo and condish! I highly recommend! I love her blue lilac scent!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps

blondie9912
February 23rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
You MUST try L'Oreal EverPure deep something blah blah blah masque!

I can't remember the name exactly, but it's the deep conditioner in the EverPure line :) Its lovely!

PixxieStix
February 23rd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Regular scalp massages, with or without oil (EVOO mixed with castor oil comes to mind).

Detangling (wide tooth) comb if you do not have one already. Wood prevents static you can get from plastic.

Wear your hair up in protective styles with "hair toys" that do not damage (i.e. no elastics all the time, etc.).

Overall, I think proper care and handling have a lot more to do with good hair growth and your hairs condition than any product. Products can help, but they don't replace good, gentle hair care. And that's about as cheap to start off as they come. Best of luck to you!

roxee
February 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Assie moist worked really well when my hair was damaged

BritHair
February 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I like to use Loreal mega moisture,coconut oil and wearing my hair up in a bun :eyebrows:

kidari
February 23rd, 2012, 10:15 PM
I agree with getting a jar of coconut oil. I'm in love with the L'oreal EverCreme line, especially their leave in spray conditioning treatment. Almost any conditioner you have already you can add aloe and honey to for a deep treatment (check the SMT thread). I've had good luck with Aussie three minute miracle and the V05 conditioners work well for homemade leave in conditioner sprays and CO washings. Also, I'm one of those who swear by Pantene (I know it's a love it or hate it thing).

khrystyne572
February 23rd, 2012, 11:57 PM
I love L'Oreal Vive with royal jelly. It's absolutely Slimy.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Mane and tail ith mixed in aloe is so great!

Bunnysaur
February 24th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Regular scalp massages, with or without oil (EVOO mixed with castor oil comes to mind).

I've been doing scalp massages, but adding EVOO is tempting... Would you leave the EVOO on for a while after massaging, or could you wash right away?

Viscountess
February 24th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I dip my fingers in my castor oil/rosemary EO/Coconut oil mix and bend over from the waist and give myself a scalp massage. I do this at night. After a good massage, I braid my hair, go to sleep and wash out the oil mix in the morning.

I've only just started this routine after losing handfuls of hair due to stress. I'll let everyone know how well its working after a few months!

I do know that the scalp massage before bed = relaxing good nights sleep and THAT is worth it alone!

Bunnysaur
February 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the reply Viscountess! I don't know if I could leave it on all night because I have classes in the early morning and can't take a shower before them.