PDA

View Full Version : Enough.

jennescence
February 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
My girlfriend and i have the very bad habit of getting a new s&c and just tossing the unfinished old ones to the side. Today i decided that it was really getting on my nerves wasting so much. So i combined six shampoos and six conditioners and im not using anything else until they are finished. I admit mixing them smells funny but right now im too disgusted with myself to care. I am determined to stop wasting so much.

HintOfMint
February 23rd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Good for you! Have you checked out the "use up your stash!" thread?

Also, it's probably an interesting experiment to mix up all the different formulations. Let us know how it goes.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
I feel for you!

I mixed 2 conditioners, 2 shower gels in the past and now am thinking of mixing two shampoos so that it doesn't get wasted. Might also mix 3 conditioners into one, i keep using and replacing the same conditioner while the other two wait on the sidelines :(

jennescence
February 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Lmbo it feels like a never ending battle! ;)

jojo
February 23rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
I do the exact same! Its great to experiment!

Covet
February 23rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
I annoy myself too lol, I buy so many hair products and I open and use them at the same time. It took me forever to use up each bottle one by one, I didn't even think to mix them.

Tabitha
February 23rd, 2012, 12:53 PM
I like to switch around because my hair seems to like a change rather than using a whole bottle to the end one wash after another. This means the bathroom is rather cluttered.

Dreams_in_Pink
The problem is, I usually forget about the products i own and when i'm almost done with the one i'm using i get another one. That makes 3 different brands of the same product :disgust:

jennescence
Now if i could just get rid of the deodorant, shower gel, lotion, and lip balms lol:(

Covet
February 23rd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Now if i could just get rid of the deodorant, shower gel, lotion, and lip balms lol:(

I thought I was the only one! I'm the worst for buying body lotion and getting too lazy to use it.

jennescence
February 23rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
I have a whole bottle of vitamin e oil that didnt work out for my face. Im thinking about throwing it in the conditioner or putting it in my hair.

Amber_Maiden
February 23rd, 2012, 01:14 PM
good idea!!!

StellaKatherine
February 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
I have this little bad habbit of wanting to buy a new bottle of something. I can say no to new pair of shoes, to the clothing of any kind.. But i feel some odd happiness when i am buying simple bottle of shampoo. Sadly i last time got HUGE bottles of a very nice shampoo and conditioner from the hairdresser, so they just DO NOT END like for ever! Haha.. But yeah i have millions of little shampo and conditioners and it doesn't end on the hair, but skin care products as well. The joy of buying little bottle.. Please can i get one more tomorrow, just one more ? :D

heidi w.
February 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
You're close to 100 posts and therefore being able to see more of the Forums here, such as the Swap Meet threads. You could put up those unused shampoo and conditioner products for swapping perhaps.

Meanwhile, watch the protein. Hopefully nothing goes awry from blending these products together such as protein overload. All shampoos and conditioners in a given product line have protein among their products. When we mix and match, we can sometimes get into trouble.

A clue to protein overload: sudden, very suddenly hair is breaking off -- and a lot of it is breaking off --. If you rake your fingers through your hair and have all these bits in your hands or floating to the floor, likely you have protein overload. Just get in the shower and wash it out -- with a good shampoo, or at the worst, clarify the hair. That'll take care of it. Probably nothing will happen, but it could. Just something to be aware of.

When we mix and match products from different brand lines, we can get in trouble, or if we add something new, such as a leave-in (which is what happened to me, and I've never forgotten the scare and the experience.)

heidi w.

jennescence
February 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
You're close to 100 posts and therefore being able to see more of the Forums here, such as the Swap Meet threads. You could put up those unused shampoo and conditioner products for swapping perhaps.

Meanwhile, watch the protein. Hopefully nothing goes awry from blending these products together such as protein overload. All shampoos and conditioners in a given product line have protein among their products. When we mix and match, we can sometimes get into trouble.

A clue to protein overload: sudden, very suddenly hair is breaking off -- and a lot of it is breaking off --. If you rake your fingers through your hair and have all these bits in your hands or floating to the floor, likely you have protein overload. Just get in the shower and wash it out -- with a good shampoo, or at the worst, clarify the hair. That'll take care of it. Probably nothing will happen, but it could. Just something to be aware of.

When we mix and match products from different brand lines, we can get in trouble, or if we add something new, such as a leave-in (which is what happened to me, and I've never forgotten the scare and the experience.)

Oh wow i never even thought about that, I will definately be on the lookout. Thanks so

Avital88
February 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
i also start doing this 1 year ago, i really need to work on my stash,it got a lot less though already..

Avital88
February 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I have this little bad habbit of wanting to buy a new bottle of something. I can say no to new pair of shoes, to the clothing of any kind.. But i feel some odd happiness when i am buying simple bottle of shampoo. Sadly i last time got HUGE bottles of a very nice shampoo and conditioner from the hairdresser, so they just DO NOT END like for ever! Haha.. But yeah i have millions of little shampo and conditioners and it doesn't end on the hair, but skin care products as well. The joy of buying little bottle.. Please can i get one more tomorrow, just one more ? :D

haha im exactly the same, it has always been like these, s&c bottles just make me happy:D

bumblebums
February 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Very courageous of you to mix the products--I would worry about them reacting with each other and turning into burnt rubber goulash or something horrid like that.

MegaMystery
February 23rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
I used to have the same problem with conditioners (and other products too), I don't really get bored of the conditioner I use, but i feel the need to buy new one every time it's on sale. That leaves me with quite a stash, which isn't at all what i want since i don't have much space to put it in my house.
I really want to encourage you to make a list of everything you want to use up (that includes the lotion, shower gel etc.) and join us at the 'use up your stash challenge'. You'll see it gets a lot easier when you actually have a list of stuff you want to use up, though i still tend to buy a lot of makeup i don't need or use very often *oh i didn't have lipstick in that shade of red yet --> buy it*. However, i didn't buy any lotion/shower gel since i started the challenge and that's quite something for me :cheese:.

Delila
February 23rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
I'm not brave enough to mix things together, but I do try to work my way through things fairly systematically.

Doing it one bottle at a time helps me figure out if there's something about the product(s) that does not work well for me (causing itchiness, buildup, stickiness that lingers, fragrance issues, etc.) so I can just ditch the ones that don't work.

Some years ago I got my haircare stash in one cabinet within easy reach, so when I want to switch to something else, I can look there and find something to use up. (For example, moisturizing shampoos are usually a winter-only thing for me.)

QueenMadge
February 23rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
I am using up my products and moving towards more natural things because of packaging, sensitivities etc. I have been using the deodorant recipe from here Homemade Deoderant (http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/03/update-homemade-deoderant.html) with great success. I do add essential oils to mine and use less baking soda too because I don't want irritation.

I used to be really bad about buying multiples of the same thing because I was not organized with my collection of stuff.

Lipbalmbabe
February 23rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
This is awesome! I wish i had the courage to mix, but I am a smell snob and get worried about making something putri and just throwing it out! Hahaha does anyone have the link to use up your stash I can't use search now and it sounds awesome. Thanks :)

spidermom
February 23rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Keep in mind that not all cosmetic ingredients are compatible.

I've long had the system of waiting until one product was used up (or nearly) before I bought another one. My DD does it like you, though. I think she's got 2 or 3 different shampoo/conditioner sets in the bathroom right now.

hellucy
February 25th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I'm guilty of this too! I love buying new s&c something about them just calls to me from the shelves - I think I love that promise of trying something different that may work a miracle on my hair!
I currently have 6 different shampoos, + 1 clarifying, 6 conditioners & 2 deep treatment conditioners, as well as various oils & aloe gel all of which are part used.
Luckily having 3 DD's means I can use up whatever I stop using on them, none of them are yet old enough to object;)

roxee
February 25th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Im exactly the same with buying shampoo and conditioners, I have started experimenting with them buy mixing carrier oils and essential oils into them and making them into luxury products lol

Tia2010
February 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM
"Oh look! Something new for my hair:cheese:" <---- That's me...all the time. Always suked in by the smell or the promise of great hair. :D

Thankfully my dh and sons will use whatever I leave in their showers so if it doesn't work for me I just pass it along to them...they all have seemingly indestructible hair that loves any product and still grows like a weed.. so they don't care at all what they use ( as long as it doesn't smell too"girl-ish")

maborosi
February 25th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I know exactly what you mean! But personally, my bad habits are soaps and lotions. I used to be bad about makeup, but I've since settled down.

~maborosi~