PDA

View Full Version : Deep conditioning treatment using Aloe Vera and/or Shea butter?

Jesabel
February 22nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Sorry if this has been a topic already or something but I'm thinking about ordering some shea butter and organic AVG for my hair as I've heard great things about it. I like making deep oil treaments but want a deep conditioning treatment as I want more moisture for my hair. Anyone have any good combos involving one or both of these things? Oils I use often include coconut, EVOO and avocado oil.

Thanks! :)

MyKing'sQueen
February 23rd, 2012, 12:19 AM
SMT is great, it's basically 3 parts of your favourite moisturizing conditioner, 1 part AVG, 1 part honey or molasses(for dark hair). Don't know any with shea butter though, I tried it as a leave in and it seemed too sticky, hope it works better for you!
You can add a bit of oils to the smt too:)

Jesabel
February 23rd, 2012, 12:26 AM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the SMT, I read about it when I first joined :o thanks!

Jesabel
February 23rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
I've heard also that AVG can be used to hold styles slightly. As I'm a 2a and like to scrunch my hair when it's damp for more wave, if i scrunched it with a little bit of AVG do you suppose it would hold better and moisturize the ends or would that not work? noob here :p

Siiri
February 23rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
I think alot of people here use aloe vera gel as a scrunching gel for curly/wavy hair or to replace a regular styling gel for other updos and braids, so I'd give it a try.

I have a natural shea butter deep treatment, and I like to use it mixed 1:1 with my regular conditioner. It has many other ingredients besides shea butter, but shea butter is the second ingredient after water. If I use just the DT without conditioner, I get somewhat tangly hair. I suspect it may be the shea butter. So I'd say if you use plain shea butter, use only a small amount and use a lot of conditioner and aloe vera gel etc. to dilute it.

You could also make your own leave-in conditioner out of shea butter, coconut oil and conditioner, here's a thread about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586

Jesabel
February 23rd, 2012, 02:26 AM
Thanks so much Siiri! That conditioning cream recipe in that thread sounds lovely, I placed my order for unrefined Shea butter, AVG and also a natural conditioner (without protein- for treatments, as a test) now I can't wait! :)

88Marisa
February 23rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
I use unrefined shea butter on my face as a moisturizer and occasionally on my hair length for extra conditioning overnight before I wash. You only need a very small amount and it helps to warm it up between your hands first so it's melted and easier to distribute. Like coconut oil, it's solid at room temperature but melts at body temperature.

I have been on a Water Only routine for close to 9 months and shea butter is the closest oil to my natural sebum that I've found, and my skin and hair love it, although I can't use too much on my hair with this routine or it won't wash out.

Aloe Vera gel was, for my hair, just a bit too drying and doesn't hold my curls, but I like using it on my face at night, it seems to firm and plump up my skin.

Jesabel
February 23rd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks! :)