PDA

View Full Version : Finger-combing how-to?

coneyisland
February 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Are the fingers used as one would use a comb for detangling -- to work out tangles from beneath the tangles? Or is it safe practice to gently pull through (or pry apart) the tangled strands from above the tangles?

bedazzlecat
February 22nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
When finger combing I start near the scalp and when I hit a snarl I gently pull it apart with my fingertips at the tangle's middle. I usually look or feel how best to fix it. For less serious tangles I spread and wiggle my fingers as I move down, or use my thumb. Then I stroke with my fingertips to smooth everything down. I may brush or comb after.

Kat
February 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Honestly? I probably don't do either properly. I do it from above. I've tried doing it from below a few times, and then instead of dealing with ONE tangle in a section of hair, I deal with tangles in the bottom three inches. Then the bottom six inches. Then the bottom nine inches. Then the bottom twelve inches. Etc. And it feels like every time I move up, tangles get pulled down further and it just never ends.

If I start at the top, everything comes together at the bottom and I deal with it ONCE.

roxee
February 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
I start from the bottom and work my way up, if I hit a bad tangle I just manipulate it lose with my fingers.

mora
February 22nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
When finger combing I start near the scalp and when I hit a snarl I gently pull it apart with my fingertips at the tangle's middle. I usually look or feel how best to fix it. For less serious tangles I spread and wiggle my fingers as I move down, or use my thumb. Then I stroke with my fingertips to smooth everything down. I may brush or comb after.
I do it this way as well.

Madora
February 23rd, 2012, 06:16 AM
I finger comb in the bent at the waist position, with all my hair in front of me.

I only use two fingers and start at the top, working slowly down, bit by bit.

Once all the hair has been finger combed, I then detangle gently with a wide tooth comb (starting at the ends, working up the strands, bit by bit).

mira-chan
February 23rd, 2012, 06:20 AM
I finger comb bu starting about mid way down the length and put my fingers underneath he hair. I move a bit higher with every pass. If I catch a tangle I isolate it in my hands and gently untangle it. I wouldn't call it prying apart but more strategic gentle tugging on strands until I find the one that will start separating from the others.

ktani
February 23rd, 2012, 08:03 AM
I have started at the top and the bottom, lol. It all depends on the section of hair. I only finger comb thoroughly right after washing.

The rest of the time, I gently separate my hair from the ears down as if I were going to braid it. I do finger comb the top though, to smooth it (ETA: in a straight motion as that hair never snags for me).

I use all of my fingers of one hand only except the thumb, in a "fluttering" motion. If I hit a "snag" or resistance, I stop and gently separate the hairs. I do not use a comb or a brush.

ETA:2 I do not get tangles with either catnipped hair or mineral oil/baby oiled hair and the snags are very, very few and "light" as in no effort to release them. I wear my hair down most of the time and it is past my waist, pulled down.

ETA:3 It is fine/medium, wavy and thin as in fewer folicles. It no longer looks thin, with catnip use, and now also, the baby oil use, between catnip treatments.

coneyisland
February 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks very much, everyone. :)

Shesta
February 23rd, 2012, 10:42 AM
What I usually do is bending to the side with all my hair over the shoulder. Then I start detangling from the middle of the length down to the ends and slightly move up and up.

Just follow your intuition - it will not mislead you ;)

Zindell
February 23rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
I start from the bottom and work my way up, if I hit a bad tangle I just manipulate it lose with my fingers.

I do exactly this too.

I just recently started finger combing and I love it! :cheese:
My hair keeps it's natural waves much better.

(I don't use any comb or brush anymore)

saera
February 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
I put all my hair to one side and start from the ends going up :)