PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed- growing out my short hair

lunardaydreamer
February 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Hi everyone :)

I was just looking for some advice! My hair is asymmetrical, my left side is a ways shorter than my right, the back is shorter than the front. I'm trying to grow it out.

Now that I don't want to be heat styling it every day, I can't really rock the asymmetrical look! I don't want to lose all my length on my left side, and the left side is shorter than I want to go if I were to just get it evened out.

Has anyone been here? Or have any suggestions? Here's a picture, pardon the silly face, you can see on the right side it looks a lot shorter ha:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/424505_2798867175229_1365000008_32557589_597903074 _n.jpg

HylianGirl
February 22nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Maybe if you let it grow it'll be less noticeable, it depends also how your hair grows.. Does your hair get wavy without heat styling? If so, maybe the asymmetry won't show that much, although I think asymmetrical look is pretty cool even if it isn't extremely straight.

lunardaydreamer
February 22nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
Thank you for the reply :). My hair is pretty straight... fine and flat, but tends to flip out on the ends. The asymmetry is pretty obvious, but maybe I'll just wait until the short side is long enough to be comfortable enough with and just cut the long side to match :-/

Maybe bangs? I don't know, I'm so indecisive! Thank you again though!

swearnsue
February 22nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm growing out asymetrical hair also! I've been doing tiny, really tiny, trims on the longer hair so that it will even out eventually. But I'm finding that the shorter hair looks more stringy like it needs to be trimmed too. So now I'm snipping just the pieces that are looking too thin with a goal of getting everything the same length.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 09:13 PM
Maybe what you could do is to just do small trims occasionally, until it evens out? It's not super asymmetrical, at least from what I can tell in the picture. If you feel brave, you could trim the longer side to match the shorter side.

~maborosi~

Alix
February 22nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Flip your part? Try parting it on the opposite side, that might help with the unevenness.

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2012, 09:31 PM
I'd trim it to match up and let it grow out.

roxee
February 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM
I'd even out the sides since there doesn't look like you would have to lose a massive amount from the right side

Mairéad
February 22nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
I didn't get an asymmetrical cut (I don't know if you did either) but I am a asymmetrical grower. I trim to match up eventually but I also do things like pin up the shorter side with a pretty clip or wear head bands. It's a lot less noticeable that way. The profile picture on my page is an example of how I used a hair accessory to mask the unevenness of my hair. Hope this helps. It will get better once you get growing, trust me.

dRummie
February 22nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
I'd trim it to match up and let it grow out.
I agree with this. Why keep the length if you can't show it off? Unless you expect the other side to catch up somehow, you'll have to trim to even it out eventually anyway. Might as well do it now and rock your short cut :)

lunardaydreamer
February 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Thank you everyone :) And Alix, that's a GREAT idea I'll try flipping my part today! dRummie, I definitely need a kick in the butt to just cut it to match so thanks... if flipping the part doesn't work I'll just take the plunge it's not like I didn't cut almost ten inches off when I got it cut short haha!