PDA

View Full Version : So basically....

jennescence
February 22nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
....If you want anything you put on your hair to be of benefit you need to not have any cones on your hair? My hair really loves cones, so this is hard for me to understand. Should i clarify before i oil or deep condition so that my hair has enough protein and moisture underneath the cones?

HylianGirl
February 22nd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Many people here love -cones. I have used them for my whole life and never had a problem, but now I'm experimenting what it is like to be -cone-free and see the results, but it is still too early to see the difference ^-^ But I guess as long as you clarify from time to time, it's ok to use -cones, if your hair likes them. =)

Mairéad
February 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
I don't think this is necessarily true, though I am not a cone user. Typically it is recommend to clarify your hair before a deep treatment. But, I think this is to sort of "reset" your hair more so than make the treatment effective. I know many here oil and -cone it up.

jennescence
February 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Oh okay thanks:) I just didnt know if oiling would be effective at all withcones still in

Mairéad
February 22nd, 2012, 08:20 PM
I don't know a ton about -cones, but even though they help seal things down it doesn't exactly make your hair impenetrable or anything. That, and assuming you're a shampoo and conditioner user and further assuming your shampoo has sulfates, there shouldn't be a terrible amount of build up anyway.

Sillage
February 22nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
I oil all the time and I'm a cone user. Normally I oil after I wash my hair-- my conditioner always has cones and sometimes my shampoo does too! I've even mixed my oils with coney leave ins and have still see an obvious effect from the oils.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM
No.

I don't really understand why people spread the idea that there is something inherently wrong with using 'cones, but there isn't. If your hair does well with 'cones- use cones. It's as simple as that. Yes, you can oil with them. I personally don't think my hair would like that, but if that's what works for you, then that's what works for you! :) It's as simple as that.

~maborosi~

jennescence
February 22nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thank you all for your responses:)

Lady Neeva
February 22nd, 2012, 09:21 PM
Nope. S & C alone is just fine. (Am I making any sense?)

roxee
February 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
cones is a must for me and I do a oil treatment on my hair at least twice a week and oil my hair daily, I would definitely say oiling and deep conditioning my hair has made a huge difference to my hair regardless of the use of cones

MonaLisa
February 23rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
It's not true..
I'm on and off cones non stop, and I still do all my oil treatments and stuff...it all works :)

fridgee
February 23rd, 2012, 03:03 AM
I think the only issue comes if you want the oils to penetrate your hair or not. For example coconut oil will actually soak into the cortex of the hair, whereas most oils sit on the cuticle. If there is a coating on the hair such as cones the coconut oil won't penetrate the hair, just lie on top. It will still help prevent moisture loss, it just won't soak in. So it depends what oil you are using and what you want it to do really. If you have something that works stick with it!

naturally yours
February 23rd, 2012, 06:09 AM
Cones dosen't stop anything penetrating the hair. I use cones and I dont have problems with build up or moisture. I oil my hair all the time. You dont need to clarify to get rid of cones. A sulfate free poo can get rid of cones as well. If your hair like cones then use them.

melusine963
February 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
I think the only issue comes if you want the oils to penetrate your hair or not. For example coconut oil will actually soak into the cortex of the hair, whereas most oils sit on the cuticle. If there is a coating on the hair such as cones the coconut oil won't penetrate the hair, just lie on top. It will still help prevent moisture loss, it just won't soak in. So it depends what oil you are using and what you want it to do really. If you have something that works stick with it!

This is interesting. Do you know where I can find out more about which oils penetrate and which don't? I'm quite new here, so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

SimplyViki
February 23rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
I just think of cones as something that can make my hair shiny and smooth and lovely, but that may be a culprit if my hair's feeling plasticky or dried out or otherwise bad. So I use them and love them, but I'll clarify if something's feeling off about my hair.

spidermom
February 23rd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Thing is, when you use cones, you distribute them through your hair. You don't coat every single hair.

I use cones and pre-wash oiling. My hair benefits from both.

fridgee
February 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
This is interesting. Do you know where I can find out more about which oils penetrate and which don't? I'm quite new here, so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30171) is quite a long thread discussing oils and the benefits of using them on the surface and of them penetrating the hair and which are best for what. I hope that helps! :flower:

ETA: And another thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60800) talking about when coconut oil will/won't penetrate.

melusine963
February 24th, 2012, 04:36 AM
This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30171) is quite a long thread discussing oils and the benefits of using them on the surface and of them penetrating the hair and which are best for what. I hope that helps! :flower:

ETA: And another thread (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60800) talking about when coconut oil will/won't penetrate.

Thank you! Those articles were very helpful.

julliams
February 24th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I personally do clarify before doing treatments. Just habit I suppose but I like to think I'm starting with a "clean slate". It's probably a "head" thing rather than being an actual fact.

Henrietta
February 24th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I don't know the scientific theory well and I do not wish to know it because I use cones, a lot of them, and also oils and non-coney deep treatments which visibly work despite cones. Even if the theory says one thing, try the practice.