PDA

View Full Version : Need Hair Toy HELP!!!!!

kittengirl
February 22nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
I got my first hair toys in the mail today....a small and an extra small flexi8. I expected to really love them but I'm not sure I do. I thought I could use the small for my french twist but it is almost too tight even for a pony, and my hair is only shoulder length. I also feel that the beads tear my hair. Should I keep trying or look elsewhere? I think my hair is too short for hair sticks, right? Does anyone have a good suggestion for something to hold my french twist/ messy bun for everyday that won't pull my hair so much and will not weigh me down horribly? :confused: I use a large claw clip but it's not very creative. Maybe even if someone knows where to get nicer claw clips that would help. If anyone has a suggestion and could tell me where to get them that would be great. My hair is fairly thick, I think, but shoulder length and layered. Thanks so much!

ALSO: I need small pins/clips to hold my short growing out bangs. Are there any places that sell long, pretty bobby pin type things?

QMacrocarpa
February 22nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
It sounds like you would have more success with larger flexis for your updos. I have read that people have more trouble with hair catching between the beads when the flexi is really tight. I haven't noticed much hair-catching with mine. I haven't tried this, but you might want to look into the Flexi-8 exchange procedure (http://www.flexi8.com/easy-returns.html).

I'm not sure if there are hairstick styles that will work at your current length with your thickness, but here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vFIAJcTxm4) is a tutorial on securing a French twist with sticks, so that might work for you if you already do French twists. I think the only way to be certain is to give it a try, with a smooth pencil, chopstick, or knitting needle if you don't have a hairstick on hand.

You can likely find decorative bobby pins at a drugstore like Walgreens or CVS. Also, maybe you could use your XS flexi to clip your bangs out of the way? I have a mini I'm giving to my mother for that purpose. If you're concerned about rhinestones on decorative bobby pins catching your hair, the smaller Goody ouchless barrettes (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/goody-ouchless-flex-comfort-flex-barrettes/ID=prod4926523-product) (also at many drugstores) work to clip aside growing-out bangs. Not very eye-catching, but not unsightly. This is what my mother uses at the moment (she gets bobs regularly, but experiences shaggy bangs between haircuts).

torrilin
February 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Your hair is probably too thick for a small. You list yourself as a ii/iii, and that means your circ is 3.5-4.0"... From what I've seen on the boards, you'd want to reserve the small for half ups, and use a medium or even a large for updos. For iii's with lengths in the classic+ range, the company even makes very large Flexi-8s.

The small and extra small are meant for the i and ii thicknesses, or as small barrettes for iii thickness.

kittengirl
February 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Your hair is probably too thick for a small. You list yourself as a ii/iii, and that means your circ is 3.5-4.0"... From what I've seen on the boards, you'd want to reserve the small for half ups, and use a medium or even a large for updos. For iii's with lengths in the classic+ range, the company even makes very large Flexi-8s.

The small and extra small are meant for the i and ii thicknesses, or as small barrettes for iii thickness.

To be honest, I have no idea what those numbers mean. My hair is pretty thick so I picked one that seemed to fit. Is there a chart anywhere that tells you how to decide what numbers your hair fits?

Rosethorn
February 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Have you tried scroo pins ?(I think it's Goody who makes them) They're these awesome little spiral thingies that screw right in to a bun or whatever and hold really well. They come in two sizes and a couple of different colors (blonde, brunette).

QMacrocarpa
February 23rd, 2012, 06:27 AM
To be honest, I have no idea what those numbers mean. My hair is pretty thick so I picked one that seemed to fit. Is there a chart anywhere that tells you how to decide what numbers your hair fits?
There's an article here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227) with specifics.

From that article:

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)
The measurements up there refer to ponytail circumference (ideally a ponytail with all your hair in it, but with bangs you might need to make an estimate)

For comparison, my ponytail circumference is about 3.5 inches, and I use S, M, L, and XL flexi-8s for different styles. The S I mostly got for half-ponies, but it also works for a snug ponytail. The M I can use for a less-snug ponytail and for log rolls and folded braids. The L I use for nautilus buns, and the XL I use for bigger buns (I find it rather heavy, so my favorite use for it so far is with a braided Chinese bun where its weight is distributed).

Rosethorn's suggestion of Goody spin pins is a good one. They're available at drugstores, Target, and such. They are a little pricey, but quite useful. Good for securing updos with no visible means of support!
:magic:

Tisiloves
February 23rd, 2012, 07:22 AM
You could always make your own decorated pins, I wired/superglued fake flowers on mine, then wrapped over with electrical tape to stop the hair catching. You could do the same to barettes.

SpinDance
February 23rd, 2012, 08:45 AM
I'll second that the sizes you have are too small for what you are trying to use them for. I haven't had any trouble with the beads, but basically I'm using them like a hair stick with the '8' part holding everything in place. Center held buns, mostly, although I also use them to hold braids up sometimes. I use all sizes, from the mini's to hold back small bits, smalls to hold a pony (very rarely do this, but it works fine), medium holding a Nautilus bun to sleep, large for any other time and for other buns such as folded braids. I've used an XL to hold an infinity bun. I usually find the XL to be too large for the amount of hair I have, and it weighs more, so I only use it rarely.

The sizing instructions on the Flexi 8 web site worked pretty well for me. You may need to get out a tape measure and see what your ponytail circumference really is to get proper sizing.

I find bobby pins damaging, so don't use them. The mini or x-small flexi's do the same sort of job without damage.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
For comparison, my ponytail circumference is about 3.5 inches, and I use S, M, L, and XL flexi-8s for different styles. The S I mostly got for half-ponies, but it also works for a snug ponytail. The M I can use for a less-snug ponytail and for log rolls and folded braids. The L I use for nautilus buns, and the XL I use for bigger buns (I find it rather heavy, so my favorite use for it so far is with a braided Chinese bun where its weight is distributed).

I'm 4.25 and I too can use a S, M, L & XL depending on the style and even depending on the bun. I'm between BSL & WL and I can still hold a lazy wrap with a M, though it's tight.

An XS and a S if you have ii/iii hair wouldn't be of that much use if you are intending to go for full updos, and not half-ups.

Pierre
February 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
My hair is now in my usual two braids, so a bit difficult to measure, but here goes. The right braid is 50 mm circumference; the left is 60. The total is thus 78 mm. The Flexi in the picture, and the ones I'm wearing now, are smalls; I also have extra smalls for clipping each braid to the base of the other and minis (also in the picture) for holding hair out of my face.

If you're ii/iii, your circumference is 100 mm. That means your area is almost twice mine. You probably need two mediums for two buns and a large for a single bun. Maybe you could get the mates of the ones you have already.

I second the hair scroos. They hold very well, have nothing that can catch, and can be nearly invisible. But Flexis are more stylish to me.