PDA

View Full Version : How to protect short hair?

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
My hair's 16", so bob-length. I know how to protect long hair, of course, by doing protective styles and such, but how can I keep my short hair protected? It is too short to braid or bun right now.

Of course, I don't use heat, I don't shampoo more than about once a week, my hair doesn't tangle at this length, but I don't wet brush, etc.

I've been using oil and panacea on my hair (panacea on the ends, mostly) and such, and at night, I sleep with my hair oiled, wrapped up in a showercap, and then I wear a wool cap over that (the wool doesn't touch my hair). I can't afford a silk pillowcase right now, but I'll probably look into one of those once I get a bit more money.

Anyone here who's had short hair- how did you protect it?

~maborosi~

HintOfMint
February 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
I never had to protect it at that length. When I started growing it out from about your length, I just refrained from heat and put some alcohol free product in it as it airdried. I didn't have to worry about protecting it until it got long enough to tangle (maybe between shoulder and APL)

As for the pillowcase, I use a satin one from synthetic fibers, not silk. It's a lot cheaper and it's just as slippery, so it won't rough up your hair.

Madora
February 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
My hair's 16", so bob-length. I know how to protect long hair, of course, by doing protective styles and such, but how can I keep my short hair protected? It is too short to braid or bun right now.

Of course, I don't use heat, I don't shampoo more than about once a week, my hair doesn't tangle at this length, but I don't wet brush, etc.

I've been using oil and panacea on my hair (panacea on the ends, mostly) and such, and at night, I sleep with my hair oiled, wrapped up in a showercap, and then I wear a wool cap over that (the wool doesn't touch my hair). I can't afford a silk pillowcase right now, but I'll probably look into one of those once I get a bit more money.

Anyone here who's had short hair- how did you protect it?

~maborosi~

Nothing special, really. Benign neglect. It was shampooed when it needed it, brushed daily with my bbb. I wore soft fabric headbands to keep it out of the way. Detangled it with a wide tooth comb at least twice a day.

As far as the silk pillowcase thingie, perhaps you could just visit a thrift store and purchase an old silk blouse or dress and then slip it over your pillow.

Or, you could visit a fabric shop and see if they have any silk remnants for sale and make your own pillowslip cover.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Nothing special, really. Benign neglect. It was shampooed when it needed it, brushed daily with my bbb. I wore soft fabric headbands to keep it out of the way. Detangled it with a wide tooth comb at least twice a day.

As far as the silk pillowcase thingie, perhaps you could just visit a thrift store and purchase an old silk blouse or dress and then slip it over your pillow.

Or, you could visit a fabric shop and see if they have any silk remnants for sale and make your own pillowslip cover.

Oh! I never thought of going to a thrift store! That is a really great idea! Thanks~ :D

~maborosi~

lunardaydreamer
February 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM
I agree with Madora about benign neglect!

I try to french braid the front of my hair if I'm going to the gym or out for a walk when it might be windy, where a hat when I can and try to resist combing it even with a wide tooth comb when wet.

mz_butterfly
February 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM
My hair is short as well. I never thought about protecting it, I don't have enough to protect right now but I don't heat style it or use styling gels or hair sprays. I hope this is enough to allow my hair to grow out decently.

Mairéad
February 22nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Short hair is tough. Mine is shorter than yours and it's at a place where I could still do just about anything to it (like comb it wet with a fine tooth comb, occasionally guilty!) and it's perfectly fine. I think at that length you'd be able to do some sort of braid unless your hair is really thick. The fact that you're oiling and wrapping it at night is superb and more than I do at the moment. Satin would be fine too and is cheaper than silk.

I have a silk scarf that I wrap my hair in at night (when I have the forethought). I got it for under $20 so that isn't too bad.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 10:07 PM
Short hair is tough. Mine is shorter than yours and it's at a place where I could still do just about anything to it (like comb it wet with a fine tooth comb, occasionally guilty!) and it's perfectly fine. I think at that length you'd be able to do some sort of braid unless your hair is really thick. The fact that you're oiling and wrapping it at night is superb and more than I do at the moment. Satin would be fine too and is cheaper than silk.

I have a silk scarf that I wrap my hair in at night (when I have the forethought). I got it for under $20 so that isn't too bad.

I'd forgotten what it's like to actually be able to get a fine-toothed comb through it at all until I cut it, lol! :p

I'd love a silk scarf, though. Those are awesome.

~maborosi~