PDA

View Full Version : I finally found something that WORKS! (Yes!!!)

Saryn Jumail
July 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Wow. I've been here all of about 5 days, maybe, and I already found something that works for my hair! Here's what I do:

In the shower I use conditioner (Joico K-PAK Moisture, intense hydrator), and comb it through with a wide tooth comb. I don't use shampoo and I don't dry it too much (I squeeze out the excess water with a towel, but nothing else). People have told me to leave some of the conditioner in, but I have trouble with this. I've tried, for about a year, to find a conditioner that will stay in my hair without being crunchy, and it doesn't work. For some reason, conditioner in my hair makes it crunchy...ah, oh well.

I use a gel with no alcohol (Smooth n shine extra hold conditioning gel), and use it only on the underside of my hair. I've found that using it all over my hair, on the top and such, makes me look like I have a Jerrie Curl. :o Not the look I want.

I've also figured out that by putting my hair in a silk cap at night, my curls can last for 2, even 3 days, with only a little extra gel each day, and still look good.

Seeing as I'm in high school, and I take two buses to school each day (I live in a big city), the wind had it's own idea of how it wanted my hair to look, and took it's toll as I stood at each bus stop in turn, making me look like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket when I got to school.
I haven't seen the winds factor on my hair yet, but if worst comes to worst, I may have to put my hair up in a silk scarf until I go to school. Braiding does not work for me, as my hair is too short to go into a braid, or even two now, when it's curly. But hey, it's the bus; I shouldn't really care too much about their opinion anyways, should I?

I'm growing quite fond of my curls, and I'm glad I came here!

Pictures:

http://i37.tinypic.com/nc1u2d.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/232rur.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/344uvwk.jpg

DecafJane
July 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Hey, those are impressive curls - lovely! It is great that you have found something that works for you, and so quickly! :)

Saryn Jumail
July 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hey, those are impressive curls - lovely! It is great that you have found something that works for you, and so quickly!

Thanks!
I thought so too, it was crazy fast.

Riot Crrl
July 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM
It looks a million times curlier than it did the other day. :cheese:

Braids smash curls anyway, I never wear them unless that is all I plan to wear for the day. Scarf sounds like the better option.

It is looking fantastic. I'm so glad you are so much happier.

Curlsgirl
July 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Oh that's wonderful!!! Your curls are SO beautiful and they look so soft and shiny! And you're right you shouldn't worry about what the others on the bus thing. I know how hard that was for me though. Still, if you can realize that now you're WAY ahead of most people especially at your age! SO glad you found something that works for you!!!

Saryn Jumail
July 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks a lot!
There's still this one part on my hair at the front that looks straggly... but I think I could fix it by putting it up with a bobby pin until it dries or something, it's not that serious.

http://i34.tinypic.com/1412n4o.jpg

I know it doesn't look bad, but it's this one random piece of hair in the front that's not as curly as the rest, and it's weird.

coppercurls
July 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Your curls look great. Glad you found something that works for you so quickly!:)

Saryn Jumail
July 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Still, if you can realize that now you're WAY ahead of most people especially at your age!

Thanks! I get that a lot, people saying I'm way more mature than others my age... I'm the youngest person on this board that I've seen, is there someone younger?

3c_Gemini_Curls
July 19th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Beautiful hair. You're lucky. curly hair has tons of trial and error..it took me a year to find what really worked for my hair, and you only 5 days.

Xandergrammy
July 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Your curls are gorgeous!! Congratulations on finding something that works for you so quickly!

Saryn Jumail
July 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Beautiful hair. You're lucky. curly hair has tons of trial and error..it took me a year to find what really worked for my hair, and you only 5 days.

Thanks! I was really surprised too!

mommy2one05
July 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Those are some amazing curls! Be proud of them and don't worry what others think (I know it's hard).

Saryn Jumail
July 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Those are some amazing curls! Be proud of them and don't worry what others think (I know it's hard).

Thanks!
I'm going to try, it's hard ignore comments, especially because I'm in high school and everyone thinks that hair should be long, straight, and never up.

Seeing as I have curly, short hair, people comment a lot.
I've come to ignore it, with the help of a friend in my fifth hour, who is completely in love with my curls, and has a gigantic smile on his face every time he sees me.
I may decide to marry him. lol

Curlsgirl
July 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks! I get that a lot, people saying I'm way more mature than others my age... I'm the youngest person on this board that I've seen, is there someone younger?I have seen some about your age maybe younger yes every now and then, can't think of anyone just now but there may be. Anyway you are welcome!!! We were all 15 once :D

Thanks!
I'm going to try, it's hard ignore comments, especially because I'm in high school and everyone thinks that hair should be long, straight, and never up.

Seeing as I have curly, short hair, people comment a lot.
I've come to ignore it, with the help of a friend in my fifth hour, who is completely in love with my curls, and has a gigantic smile on his face every time he sees me.
I may decide to marry him. lolHee hee! That is so cute!

Tressie
July 19th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Beautiful healthy looking curls! Many people pay a lot of money to have just what you have and it's natural!! You are blessed!:cheese:

WritingPrincess
July 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Your curls are perfectly beautiful, and I'm glad you found something that works for you. But 4 days and 42 posts?!

Cinnamon.locks
July 20th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Gorgeous Curls! i love curls, but can't get them, perming makes my hair die. when i was 15 i did my first perm and came out perfect, had 6 months of beautiful, bouncy, shiny curls then they died and i went back to straight and really oily, so be proud of your curls, some of us want them and can't get them. keep caring for them and believe me, you are beautiful no matter what anyone says and your hair is absolutely gorgeous. so ignore bad comments and enjoy the good ones, and maybe even take advantage of the bad comments and turn them around, like imagine if someone called you mop head, look at that person and say, ** thanks at least i don't look like i fell out of bed and struck my finger in the wall socket.** or something like that.

DiyaC
July 20th, 2008, 05:19 AM
What beautiful curls. Congratulations on finding something that works for you :cheese:. I took AGES to find a routine that worked.

China Cat Sunflower
July 20th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Welcome :) Your curls are so awesome! Keep on growing.

liseling
July 20th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Congratulations! I knew you'd find something. Curls arent too difficult, they just want to be treated with respect! It looks like yours are thanking you now.:D

blue_nant
July 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
There's still this one part on my hair at the front that looks straggly... but I think I could fix it by putting it up with a bobby pin until it dries or something, it's not that serious. ... but it's this one random piece of hair in the front that's not as curly as the rest, and it's weird.

Looks like that set of hair follicles didn't get in line to get the same instructions and the rest of them. Myself, I have too many on my left side, as compared to my right side, like my scalp was in line last and they ran out of follicles (silly) so I do a funky start to every braid ...

Anyhoo, you could do something different with that hank of hair sometimes, like ... I have a minimal wave, so I don't know how curls repond ... but either your bobby pin idea or ... could you put that chunk in a teensy rag curl thingie to encourage it to be like the rest of your hair? (avoiding the bobbie pin crimp?) (also the bobbie pin catching on things?)

Or ... use that bit as a bittie accent braid? Turn a small problem into a signature bit-o-style?

Beautiful curls! Just beautiful! ... The pic of my hair shows waves, but that's only in the first half- hour after drying, then it's all gone. (all jealous!) LOL

Saryn Jumail
July 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Your curls are perfectly beautiful, and I'm glad you found something that works for you. But 4 days and 42 posts?!
Yeah, lol, I'm on here a lot :)
Thanks!

Saryn Jumail
July 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Looks like that set of hair follicles didn't get in line to get the same instructions and the rest of them. Myself, I have too many on my left side, as compared to my right side, like my scalp was in line last and they ran out of follicles (silly) so I do a funky start to every braid ...

Anyhoo, you could do something different with that hank of hair sometimes, like ... I have a minimal wave, so I don't know how curls repond ... but either your bobby pin idea or ... could you put that chunk in a teensy rag curl thingie to encourage it to be like the rest of your hair? (avoiding the bobbie pin crimp?) (also the bobbie pin catching on things?)

Or ... use that bit as a bittie accent braid? Turn a small problem into a signature bit-o-style?

Beautiful curls! Just beautiful! ... The pic of my hair shows waves, but that's only in the first half- hour after drying, then it's all gone. (all jealous!) LOL

I would but...what's a rag curl? lol, I'm clueless.

WritingPrincess
July 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
A rag curl is when you take a strip of cloth and use it as a curler. Basically you lay the cloth on top of the "piece" that you want to curl, fold each end of the cloth over once, and roll it up to the roots, tying the ends of the cloth together to secure the curl. Clear as mud, right? :lol:

Oh, and, Saryn, I'm 13 and the youngest active member. There's at least one other 13-year-old (DotDotDot), but she doesn't post too often (and she's a couple of months older than I).

Saryn Jumail
July 21st, 2008, 02:08 PM
A rag curl is when you take a strip of cloth and use it as a curler. Basically you lay the cloth on top of the "piece" that you want to curl, fold each end of the cloth over once, and roll it up to the roots, tying the ends of the cloth together to secure the curl. Clear as mud, right?

Oh, and, Saryn, I'm 13 and the youngest active member. There's at least one other 13-year-old (DotDotDot), but she doesn't post too often (and she's a couple of months older than I).

Nice!
I kinda was wondering if I was the youngest...but I didn't care enough to search.

WritingPrincess
July 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Nope, you aren't the youngest, but you are on the young end. Glad you found something for those curls!

curly girl fla
July 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm so glad you found something that's working so well for you! You're hair is really amazing. I wish I knew how to truly be curly when I was your age, but I had noone to show me (my mother is a frizzy/curly). My sister and I used to chemically try to straighten our hair ourselves. It would work for a day, then back to the uncontrollable curls. It's so nice that you enjoy and appreciate your ringlets!

enitsirk
July 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Your curls are so pretty!! I <3 curly hair.

A scarf might be the best option to avoid the wind.

Kiraela
July 22nd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Your curls look gorgeous! I think I've been working on chain mail too long though, since that last pic (in the first post) made me think of a jumble of loose links. Which is a good thing, btw :).

sexyjacksparrow
July 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Your curls are gorgeous. Glad you've found something to work for you. I'm still looking for a good routine that works for me in terms of styling.

Kerry xx

JessTheMess
July 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
You have beautiful shiny healthy curls! WOW! Not a hair of frizz either!

Saryn Jumail
July 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied!

FrannyG
July 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Your hair is just gorgeous, and it's delightful to hear that you've found a routine that works so well.

I'm looking forward very much to your updates. :flowers: