PDA

View Full Version : Counting Shed Hairs One by One...

kittengirl
February 22nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
I am currently obsessed about shedding. I have read every shedding thread on here, and took the advice of one and decided to count my shed hairs. So far today I lost:
22 with my morning brushing
67 during hair washing
So, 89 total, as far as I could count. Maybe a couple more. This seems like a lot to me for so early in the day, but do you think that this could be because today was hair washing day? I only wash my hair twice a week. I'm sure the number will go up after my evening brushing. Also, sometimes when I run fingers through my hair to detangle during the day, I will lose a few. I'm wondering if maybe it seems like a lot because I'm used to really short hair and suddenly when I hit sl it seems to shed a lot more. I do remember shedding a lot when I was a young teen and had wl hair, but I was younger then and didn't pay much attention! Should I be concerned now? 'Cause I kind of am!

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
I really wouldn't worry unless you're going bald or thinning really badly.

Amber_Maiden
February 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Losing up to a hundred hairs a day is normal. I would not worry. Stop counting!

Cjatje
February 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Wr
Ts!! You'll get obsessed with counting ;)

Eleentje
February 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Every day I shed a lot of hair and even more when I wash it. My hair is not thinning at all, however. I don't think you need to be worried at all, unless your hair is noticably thinning.

spidermom
February 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Resist! You don't need one more thing to stress over.

I have never counted my shed hairs and never will.

Madora
February 22nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
I am currently obsessed about shedding. I have read every shedding thread on here, and took the advice of one and decided to count my shed hairs. So far today I lost:
67 during hair washing
So, 89 total, as far as I could count. Maybe a couple more. This seems like a lot to me for so early in the day, but do you think that this could be because today was hair washing day? I only wash my hair twice a week. I'm sure the number will go up after my evening brushing. Also, sometimes when I run fingers through my hair to detangle during the day, I will lose a few. I'm wondering if maybe it seems like a lot because I'm used to really short hair and suddenly when I hit sl it seems to shed a lot more. I do remember shedding a lot when I was a young teen and had wl hair, but I was younger then and didn't pay much attention! Should I be concerned now? 'Cause I kind of am!

If you're concerned about shedding, you may wish to keep track of your shed hair like this:

Get a month's supply of envelopes and mark the date in the upper corner

Each day, count all the fallen hairs, put them in the envelope, and mark the amount on the outside

At the end of 30 days, examine the totals on each envelope and see if you are shedding more -- or pretty much averaging out in the same range during the four week period.

100 hairs a day is average hair loss.

kittengirl
February 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I will try not to worry. I suppose for me counting is not good because I tend to get a little obsessed over things. It is good to know I probably am not shedding abnormally!

PixxieStix
February 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Glad to see you have decided against worrying about it. It might seem like a lot, but with 100,000 to 150,000 hairs on your head, and them being constantly shed/replaced, it's all good. :)

UltraBella
February 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
I shed so much, it's insane. I have kept a ziplock bag of my shed hair for the last three weeks, I will post a picture when I get home tonight. You will wonder why I am not bald !

Synnovea
February 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
I typically shed about 90-100 hairs on wash day between brushing and CWC. The non-wash days I probably lose about 10-15 hairs. Since I only wash twice a week I don't feel too bad about losing what I conceptualize as a lot of hair even though, as others pointed out, that number is normal.

<3OnHerSleeve
February 22nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
When I'm adhering to my routine of oilx2 a week, msm and multivitamin tablets everyday and brushing my hair daily 250x, I lose 100 hairs.

When I'm not really sticking to my routine I could easily lose 200-300 hairs a day.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
I shed so much, it's insane. I have kept a ziplock bag of my shed hair for the last three weeks, I will post a picture when I get home tonight. You will wonder why I am not bald !

I am eagerly anticipating this, lol.

I shed more when I wash with 'poo. It's really no big deal, unless you start noticing lots and lots of hair falling out (like what happened to me a few months ago- stress and medication ftw). But I'm back to normal now. Phew.

~maborosi~

heidi w.
February 22nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
67 during hair washing

Sweetie,

You've got nothing to worry about. Shedding up to 100 hairs a day is considered in the range of normal. You're normal.

Just keep the focus on taking good care of your hair, and all will turn out well, in time.

heidi w.

white.chocolate
February 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
I agree! There's no point in counting them one by one everyday! Yours is pretty normal. :) I'm sure you'll definitely know if your shedding becomes excessive... I hope you won't have to experience that.

kittengirl
February 22nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Thank you all so much for the kind reassurance. I feel much better now thanks to all of you!

PorkChop
February 22nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
Wow I could not be bothered at all, Id be way too lazy to count all that even if i was inclined to!

The only thing i do very very occasionally is pluck a few hairs of the brush to see if they're full hairs (as in from the root) and not snapped off ones