PDA

View Full Version : My hair feels AWFUL. Does this sound like protein overload?

goldcopperbrown
February 22nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
I have fine straight hair and a lot of it. I stopped using cones a while ago (aside from the occasional styling product on the weekend) but generally I use cone free Biolage and Giovanni stuff, specifically the biolage hydrating balm. I realized I've been using the Giovanni reconstructor a lot...and since that has protein I'm wondering if I have protein build up.

my hair is waxy-like, FAR straighter than it usually is, but when I lie down anywhere, even if it's just semi-moist, it kinks up into these weird jagged waves that look awful. It's impossible to run my fingers through. What should I do? I'm not actually seeing any split ends and I REALLY don't want to do another trim since I did one last month.

Khiwanean
February 22nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Protein overload ususally results in crunchy feeling ends. The waxy feeling is probably from buildup of other ingredients. You probably just need to clarify your hair.

heidi w.
February 22nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
A key delineator of protein overload is that hair suddenly, and a lot of it at the same time, begins breaking off in droves. So I suspect you do not have protein overload, but instead, merely a problem of buildup which is easily remedied by "Clarifying". I would either purchase a product that has on its label "Clarify" or I would make a home recipe for clarifying. If you do the home recipe, particularly if you go with the use of Baking Soda, (which works more or less well depending) then I highly recommend using a conditioner as a followup as part of that kind of hair wash.

I use Biolage's Conditioning Balm for my conditioner. This is a good conditioner. A plus is that it's also biodegradable.

I wish you the best. I'm fairly certain that clarifying will resolve your problem.

heidi w.

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
I'd clarify and see if that helps.

Anje
February 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
For me, over-proteined hair tends to form kinky little waves in the individual hairs, and it will not stay detangled. It tangles even as I try to comb it, and hairs often want to break rather than unwrap themselves from their death grip on nearby hairs. The hair, especially at the ends, tends to feel rough rather than slippery if I run my fingers down the length, and the kinky waves feel a bit hard.

Does that sound at all like what you're feeling?

Contrast to hair that needs protein. It's still tangly and hard to run your fingers through. It can sometimes feel dry, but if you get it wet it becomes quite stretchy if you try to comb it. In extreme circumstances, it can even feel mushy. It tends to be a bit limp and flat.

When in doubt, give your hair a good clarifying, and follow up with a protein-free moisture treatment. If it's better, blame it on buildup or protein. If it's worse (rarer, but possible), you'll need more protein, not less. Always follow protein treatments up with moisture treatments, as they are typically drying on their own.

Oksana
February 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
My hair freaks out at protein. The ends feel horribly dry and go kinky. First step is always clarifying as it could be protein or general product build up. Even when i'm cone free i get some build up from the wax or other ingredients.

Darkessa
February 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
I was having the same exact issue. I found that clarifying did the trick.
I also found that I personally needed to start the CWC method, and do it more often. I wanted to stretch my washes, but I found that the longer I went between, the more I wanted to buzz my darn head.
Now, I want to marry my hair. I love it!

Try the clarifying, and try other methods of hair care. I dont know your method now, but its worth a change to see if it helps.

goldcopperbrown
February 22nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Yes! That's exactly what it feels like. I'm so glad you guys know what I mean lol

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Sounds like you might want to clarify and see how that works out for you. :)

~maborosi~