PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair during workouts?

yummie
February 21st, 2012, 10:05 PM
Hey longies! How do you wear your hair during workouts? I usually wear mines in a low ponytail or bun but I feel lately Its been putting a lot of pressure on my roots any advice?

midsummernight
February 21st, 2012, 10:45 PM
i usually leave my hair in a braid. i have tried to do my hair in a bun but it just comes off.

annamoonfairy
February 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Braided pigtails pulled to the front help distribute the weight for me.

Zhennni(:
February 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
frenchbraid or just a ponytail:) buns and twists dont hold for me:(

dulce
February 21st, 2012, 11:03 PM
A braid or a low pony or a lazywrap bun with a beak clip is my choice.

Carissamarie08
February 22nd, 2012, 12:03 AM
Messy bun!

supbanana
February 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
My go-to is a lazy wrap or nautilus bun for the cardio and weight machines because it stays out of the way and holds like cement.

If I'm going to be on the floor (for yoga or weight training) I'll use the Madora braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvWpHufrANk), or the braided vortex bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DF5HXky3B8). Both are flat and hold fairly well (the vortex bun is a little more secure, especially with Spin Pins).

I can't have ponytails or braided pigtails because when I'm sweaty and trying to work out my hair getting in the way frustrates me to no end and makes me feel even sweatier and more gross than I am for some reason.

Quixii
February 22nd, 2012, 12:27 AM
It depends on the workout.
For gymnastics, I usually did a [regular, not the fully rolled kind] sock bun. Seems a little weird, but it actually ended up being about the same thickness as the bun I used to do but the sock made it squish a little more so for rolls it didn't get in the way. Plus it was a lot sturdier.
For yoga, I usually do a cinnabun, just something to get it up and out of the way and fairly flat against my head.
I haven't figured out the perfect thing for jogging/cardio-based stuff yet. I'm not a fan of a simple braid because it thwaps against my back, but I haven't found a bun that will happily withstand all that motion. A ponytail works but isn't fantastic for various reasons. I'm still working on it..

owlathena
February 22nd, 2012, 12:35 AM
ponytail or braid works best for me, I don't notice pulling on my roots. Buns either pull or fall out for me

ETA: but I run, a bun would work for something low impact

HollywoodRouge
February 22nd, 2012, 12:39 AM
Ponytail until i reach waist, then braid. I find atm my braid falls behind my neck a lot because its not long enough to stay in front whilst running, and i only like single braids when they're to the side/infront.

zombi
February 22nd, 2012, 12:40 AM
I put mine in a high bun and pin the life out of it. Ponytails feel weird when i'm running and I dont' like the feeling of a braid down my neck when running, either. :(

Tisiloves
February 22nd, 2012, 12:42 AM
I'm not a longie, but this looks good. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjPreADHpvY&feature=plcp&context=C38f13a8UDOEgsToPDskI-yJoUHwg8F5G4SKJXZOCv

BrightStarPoet
February 22nd, 2012, 01:36 AM
I braid my hair, then coil it into a bun and secure it with a Flexi-8. The braid helps my Flexi-8 to hold my bun securely in place, with pretty good weight distribution on the back of my head. My hair stays totally in place during my jogs.

I also use one of those elastic headbands to keep my hair off my face and ears- it drives me nuts when I'm hot and sweaty for my hair to stick to my forehead or tickle the back of my ears! :)

Mai Gloeckchen
February 22nd, 2012, 01:41 AM
LWB with Faccare or, if I do soemthing, where it is necessary to lie down (yoga), I make a french or low english braid. When I know that I will exercise longer, I make a crown braid. All out of the way, nothing on the back of my head, that disturbs when lieing down.

fridgee
February 22nd, 2012, 02:42 AM
I use a high cinnabun held with spin pins or an oval bun, which lies flat against the head. Either work for lying down exercises, not sure how well they would hold up to something more energetic tho. When I was running I used to do a high folded over ponytail, but that was before I started taking good care of my hair and worrying about damage from elastics etc.

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
I wear mine in a loose bun. I might start putting mine in a braid.

W2
February 22nd, 2012, 03:51 AM
I do a narrow french braid to secure my growing bangs, then continue the small braid until about midd head. Ponytail and braid the tail. Holds and don't pull. I zumba and dance - so a lot of action! ;)

Tota
February 22nd, 2012, 04:02 AM
I wear a ballerina bun.

gossamer
February 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Braided nautilus bun, held with a stick, low on the back of my head. Holds like a rock.

heidi w.
February 22nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
I used to be able to afford gym membership and kickboxing and Tae Kwon Do classes. Wearing hair up did not work as usually the hair fell out after a bit. All that jumping around the bunned hair begins to slide and loosen.

So I resorted to braiding the length in a long braid, which generally worked, even if I did Yoga.

That merely meant that my hair braid was flopping about, but that's not so bad. I even used to tuck a chunk of the length in the top of my workout outfit. I wore a kind of thing that's a kind of bra. I would wind the braid length around one strap of the outfit. And that generally held, but eventually the braid would fall out of that. I just was trying to prevent whipping people with my braid that were behind or beside me.

I think a braid will work for you.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 22nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
I'm not a longie, but this looks good. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjPreADHpvY&feature=plcp&context=C38f13a8UDOEgsToPDskI-yJoUHwg8F5G4SKJXZOCv

I like her enthusiasm, but a bit much on the yapping. It was interesting to hear how she learned of this braided updo, and to hear it's benefit for those who do shows and might need to wear a wig.

heidi w.

dwell_in_safety
February 22nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
A lazy wrap bun holds like a rock for me, which I guess is unusual when working out. :p

woolyleprechaun
February 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
BUN!!! With spin pins......Safest option I think, I dont recomend getting an Amish pin in the back of your neck....

TeaGarden
February 22nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
I have a hard time finding hairstyles for my workouts. I do aerial silks, which means no hair forks and sticks and lots of upside-down spinning and falling through the air. (I'm terrified that a hair stick would rip the fabric, even though that's probably just paranoia and not realistic.)
And since my hair is so thick, it won't stay in a bun long. So my only two options are a pony tail or a french braid. :/ Any suggestions?

spidermom
February 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
Some kind of braid. Today it's a french-braid, bunned, with 2 sticks.

Peter
February 22nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Simple English braid, because it works (also, it's all I can do, but that's besides the point :p). Sometimes left to hang down my back, sometimes brought over my shoulder, depending on what I'm doing.

I should add that "work out" means weight lifting to me. I don't run much, but when I do, I tuck my braid in my shirt. I don't like the neck sweatiness this causes but it's a lot more bearable than having 2 feet of hair swinging everywhere, heh. If I could do a bun that held strongly, I'd opt for that.

kidari
February 22nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
I put mine in a medium/low caterpillar braid for running. For other workouts it's usually in a topknot or sock bun or any bun high on top of my head. Sometimes if I wear a baseball hat or something it's in two low pigtails- I wish it could be braided pigtails but my hair is very layered and shaggy so it looks really ugly braided.

millyaulait
February 22nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
I've always put my hair in a topknot or bun at the top of my head, no matter what length.
I *hate* having hair near my face or at my neck when I'm working out, and it means I can get my bangs out of the way too. :)

kellinaturalmom
February 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
French braid.

Kaya
February 22nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
I have a hard time finding hairstyles for my workouts. I do aerial silks, which means no hair forks and sticks and lots of upside-down spinning and falling through the air. (I'm terrified that a hair stick would rip the fabric, even though that's probably just paranoia and not realistic.)
And since my hair is so thick, it won't stay in a bun long. So my only two options are a pony tail or a french braid. :/ Any suggestions?

Wow! Aerial silks sound amazing! I take it that they are a lot of fun? :)

I do Insanity and found that a ponytailed cinnabun (wrapped with another elastic) and a cloth headband is the only style that keeps my hair from getting in my way. Hair in the face during a hardcore workout is a personal pet peeve. :rolleyes:

Sherene
February 22nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
For my workout in the gym I normally wear a nautilus bun with a Ketylo or Ficcare or sometimes the modified Elling bun.
The same goes for my training in ballroom dancing. At dancing competitions I mostly do a rose bun with a ficcare (with rhinestones and sequins matching the color of my competition dress) or with rhinestone-decorated scroos, depending on the dress I wear :).

TeaGarden
February 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM

I do Insanity and found that a ponytailed cinnabun (wrapped with another elastic) and a cloth headband is the only style that keeps my hair from getting in my way. Hair in the face during a hardcore workout is a personal pet peeve. :rolleyes:

Silks are very fun! Painful though. It's a lot tougher than it appears to be.
My hair won't stay in a cinnabun. :(

Sillage
February 22nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
lazy bun with a ficcare

Kelikea
February 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Its a bun usually, held with a claw clip. (ponytailed either braided or not) Or a simple ponytail braid.

chai-blue
February 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
i wear my hair in a bun, secured by a clip, with a head band to keep the fly-aways from my face:D

turtlelover
February 22nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
When I do yoga, I have to lay on my back, so I tend to do a low ponytail so I don't feel a lump on the back of my head. If I am dancing, I like a high ponytail better. I can put my hair in a French braid at my length, but it tends to come out, so I stick to the ponytails at this point.

Fairlight63
February 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
What works out the best for me is to put on a head band to keep my bangs out of my face (I hate hair in my face!) Then I braid the length & put in a ficcare clip.

darklyndsea
February 22nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
I normally do indoor rock climbing, so an english braid works for me. If I was doing something more aerobic, I'd do amish braids with the ends secured to each other with an elastic since they hold like a rock. But if you haven't done them before, interlaced braids are basically the same thing and have better quality videos than those I have seen for Amish braids, IMHO.

longhairedleah
February 22nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
I normally do indoor rock climbing, so an english braid works for me. If I was doing something more aerobic, I'd do amish braids with the ends secured to each other with an elastic since they hold like a rock. But if you haven't done them before, interlaced braids are basically the same thing and have better quality videos than those I have seen for Amish braids, IMHO.

I also do Amish braids! I do Ashtanga Yoga and nothing else stays up/out of the way for me! I use teeny tiny hair clips to hold it in place.

I can have my head flat when I lie on my back, head on my ears hair's not in the way, no pony or braid in the way if I want to do poses like wheel etc.

Plus, my hair doesn't poof up to become enormous (like with english braids and ponies, and some buns) and get even more in the way because of the humidity in the room filled with sweaty people!

xoerincolleen
February 22nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
I do a high ponytail or a topknot with the bangs braided back. I usually use 2 elastics and it holds relatively well for me running.

yummie
February 22nd, 2012, 10:00 PM

Ah I just started insanity on my second week and my ponytail is killing me! plus the workouts lol but it's why I started this thread Thank you all for the responses! I will have to test out all the do's and see which ones can survive Insanity!!:joy:

BBdck1
February 23rd, 2012, 04:23 AM
I put my hair in a ponytail using 2 hair ties. Holds a lot better than 1.

Bedhead
February 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I do parkour, and I find buns bounce and are distracting because I'm worried they'll fall out, pony tails always seem to have to be adjusted. So far a French braid has worked out fine; it keeps all the layers in too, but I'm not so fond of the hair swinging and pulling as I move. But of course I read this to see if there was anything else I could consider and get good at before the new season comes. Off I go to google what Amish braids are....

Okay, I'm back, and the Amish braided bun looks secure enough to ride upside down under a galloping horse, my goodness! I'm not sure if my hair is long enough to complete the bun, but I can probably get each side braid tucked and secure somehow.

Thanks for the ideas and thanks for starting this thread! :)

danceri110
February 25th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I dance, so I french braid & then just fold the tail over itself a few times and tie off with a thick elastic :D not the most gorgeous, but it works for me!