PDA

View Full Version : Favorite oil, and what kind of oilings do you do?

maborosi
February 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM
What is your favorite oil to use?

When do you use it- daily oiling, deep conditioning, etc?

My favorite oils right now are probably coconut and Triple Moon oil, but I mostly use the Triple Moon oil now. I usually oil every day lightly. I will occasionally deep oil with coconut prior to a henna treatment.

~maborosi~

Jesabel
February 22nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
The oils I have for my hair are coconut, EVOO and avocado. I put coconut on my ends after I wash it but tried a tiny tiny amount of both avo mixed with coconut today and I really liked that. For a deep oiling I mix all three, but have done EVOO on it's own. Oiling my ends has been far better than using cones, which I don't use now. I'm not sure though which is my "favourite" oil. What's triple moon oil? :)

Tota
February 22nd, 2012, 05:28 AM
My favourite oil right now is argan oil. I do scalp massages with it before washing my hair. I also use it on my length when it gets a bit dry and static. I like it because it's so light and hair doesn't look oily after use. I also use it as an overnight treatment for my face and neck and sometimes on my arms when I know I'll have to show my skin (summer dresses and such) - my otherwise extremely dry skin actually "glows" after use. I also use EVOO for deep oil hair treatments and Castor oil + EVOO for cleaning my face. That's about it :)

Long_hair_bear
February 22nd, 2012, 06:22 AM
Not sure if nightbloomings panacea counts as an oil though it has numerous oils in it, but if it does count, that's it. I use it almost every morning on dry hair. Very awesome stuff and one of the few things my hair agrees with. If it doesn't count, I too, use triple moon oil, but only on wet hair after my weekly shampooing.

mira-chan
February 22nd, 2012, 06:29 AM
My favorites are Coconut oil (warmer months) and sesame oil (cooler months).

Amber_Maiden
February 22nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
I use Triple moon oil twice a day, and about 10-12 drops of the oil each time.

PixxieStix
February 22nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
I use coconut oil, EVOO, and avocado oil on my hair. Usually coconut oil on the ends after washing, EVOO for deep treatments, and avocado oil mixed with coconut milk for deep treatments as well. And I'll use Shea butter mixed with EVOO, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, and sometimes vegetable glycerin with some EOs for my skin. HEAVEN! I also use organic EVOO all over my body rubbed in well before stepping into the shower, I think of it as OCM for my entire body. :D

white.chocolate
February 22nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
Right now, it's jojoba oil because it's very light as a leave-in conditioner. I'm yet to try oils other members here claim are good also.

Avital88
February 22nd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Right now, it's jojoba oil because it's very light as a leave-in conditioner. I'm yet to try oils other members here claim are good also.

Recently i started using jojoba oil aswell, i find it very drying,my ends are even crunchy and i havent had that in a long time, have you experienced such thing with it aswel?
Its the only thing i changed in my routine so it must be that

My favourite oils are Amla, Argan and Coconut, cant live without these..
I use it whenever i think i need it, usually a few drops on the ends after shower and deep oiling the night before or the day of washing.
All my oils are empty though besides coco so i'm gonna go to my kitchen now and get me some EVOO and have a deeeep oil evening:))

turtlelover
February 22nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
I love coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment, but I prefer a bit of baby oil just to smooth hair and cut down on frizz and tangles during the day.

TeaGarden
February 22nd, 2012, 10:14 AM
I use Nightblooming's Triple Moon oil as well. I usually put it on whenever my hair is, finally, fully dry. I also really like morrocan or argan oil, but I don't use those as much.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Not sure if nightbloomings panacea counts as an oil though it has numerous oils in it, but if it does count, that's it. I use it almost every morning on dry hair. Very awesome stuff and one of the few things my hair agrees with. If it doesn't count, I too, use triple moon oil, but only on wet hair after my weekly shampooing.

Which panacea do you use?

~maborosi~

PrairieRose
February 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
I like jojoba oil, especially as a presoak before a wash. I recently started using Camellia oil, I love it! I use it on my ends daily and it is definitely lighter. Which is what I need since my hair is fine.

veronicaM
February 22nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
What is your favorite oil to use?

When do you use it- daily oiling, deep conditioning, etc?

My favorite oils right now are probably coconut and Triple Moon oil, but I mostly use the Triple Moon oil now. I usually oil every day lightly. I will occasionally deep oil with coconut prior to a henna treatment.

~maborosi~

We use coconut oil for our baby's skin and almond oil to give her a massage at night. For my hair, I use a vegan/organic line of scalp oils.

midsummernight
February 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
I use coconut oil on my hair daily before washing my hair. Then afterwards I leave a tiny amount of almond oil as a leave in. once a week I do a deep conditioning treatment with olive oil, honey and yogurt.

Sillage
February 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
I love West African shea, tamanu, and rosehip seed oils. Tamanu is probably my favorite right now; its got such a cushion-y, soft feel to it that I just love. After every wash I oil my hair while it's still damp. I put quite a lot in because my hair just seems to drink it up!

TheMechaGinger
February 22nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
I love coconut and natural 7 argan oil. I know it has other stuff in it but it smells divine (like an musty sweet smell) and I use both (either/or) sparingly between washes and then saturate my hair the night before a wash.

Lorisal
February 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
I like sweet almond oil. I use it to lightly oil my scalp when it feels very dry. I also use it as a hot oil treatment.

dwell_in_safety
February 22nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
I use jojoba oil on my ends after washing and usually also halfway between washes so my ends don't velcro. It works very well to keep my hair soft and easy to separate for braiding. Every other week I do a deep oiling with loads of coconut oil. My hair loves the stuff. :D

I've never really tried other oils, with the exception of EVOO for deep oilings, mixed with coconut oil. My hair didn't like that nearly as much as it likes coconut oil alone.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
I use jojoba oil on my ends after washing and usually also halfway between washes so my ends don't velcro. It works very well to keep my hair soft and easy to separate for braiding. Every other week I do a deep oiling with loads of coconut oil. My hair loves the stuff. :D

I've never really tried other oils, with the exception of EVOO for deep oilings, mixed with coconut oil. My hair didn't like that nearly as much as it likes coconut oil alone.

My hair doesn't really like EVOO in general. I think it's just too much for my hair, and I really don't need it, either.

~maborosi~

Rosethorn
February 22nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Mostly Triple Moon (love that stuff!) and coconut but occasionally almond or jojoba. Shea butter, too. Does that count as an oil? I'll oil every day and do a heavy oiling/buttering (that sounds funny!) before I wash.

elthia
February 23rd, 2012, 01:01 AM
Coconut or henna sooq's cocoveda when it is warm, jojoba when it is cold for my hair for light oilings. Coconut for deep oilings overnight before wash day, if it is a planned washday, or after I henna. If I got gross at work and had to wash early then I'll just use coconut despite the weather.

tgagurl27
February 23rd, 2012, 01:31 AM
is there any benefit to oiling right before washing? Won't it just strip the hair of the oil you just put on? I'm doing it now but am thinking.. What is actually the point?

Ashenputtel
February 23rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
is there any benefit to oiling right before washing? Won't it just strip the hair of the oil you just put on? I'm doing it now but am thinking.. What is actually the point?

coconut oil is been proven to help reduce protein lost with shampoo. A lot of people to oil soak as a treatment at least one hour to a full night, then wash it out.

Personnaly I'm not a big fan of a lot of oil. I have fine hair and it build up like crazy on me.

I hate to admit it, but the best oil for me is mineral oil. I still use vegetable oil on my skin though.

white.chocolate
February 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Recently i started using jojoba oil aswell, i find it very drying,my ends are even crunchy and i havent had that in a long time, have you experienced such thing with it aswel?
Its the only thing i changed in my routine so it must be that

My favourite oils are Amla, Argan and Coconut, cant live without these..
I use it whenever i think i need it, usually a few drops on the ends after shower and deep oiling the night before or the day of washing.
All my oils are empty though besides coco so i'm gonna go to my kitchen now and get me some EVOO and have a deeeep oil evening:))

No, I have never experienced this, and I have been using jojoba oil all winter. I can't say why it works differently for us.

rock007junkie
February 25th, 2012, 10:52 AM
My favorite ones right now are Neelibhrigadi for my scalp and HennaSooq's Cocoveda for my length. It leaves my hair so soft and shiny.

spidermom
February 25th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I use coconut oil for generous pre-wash oiling. Every once in awhile, when I am going to blow-dry my hair (on warm, never hot), I use a small amount of coconut oil on the bottom 6-8 inches of length.

I've also used EVOO, which works just as well, but I don't enjoy the scent.

lapushka
February 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Favorite oil is mineral oil. Next to serum, it's the only oil I use.

Ki
February 28th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I've started using coconut oil as a pre-wash oiling- hair and scalp, generous amount. I really like it so far. I also sometimes like a little jojoba oil after washing to smooth down the hair. I have a bottle of argan oil that I've yet to try, but have heard many good things about it so will be trying that soon!

ktani
February 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Mineral oil baby oil in between catnip treatments. Less than 3 drops - 1 application after shampooing - nothing else on my hair - lasts a full week ETA or until my next shampoo - with no further application necessary.

No issues - no tangles - keeps my hair from being dry - ETA:2 and - not stringy or greasy, staticy or sticky.

ETA:3 Wahes out completely with no extra shampoo - great volume and well defined waves too.

Only oiling oil or grooming aid oil I have ever tried that works beautifully. I love it.

ETA:4 I forgot to add - I still have no split ends - I just finished my first s&d in 7 months. I had the day off, from my now regular schedule lol.

Vampyria
February 28th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I only use coconut oil. It makes my hair softer and prevents split ends. I use it as a pre-wash treatment (leave it on during the night and wash in the morning), after washing just on the ends and sometimes before I go to sleep. I tried other oils as well, but didn't like any of them as much. I also used castor oil for the scalp but then I heard that it's suppose to darken hair.

melusine963
March 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I use coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner from my shoulders down. It's great as a detangler, but I have to be careful not to overdo it and to give it some time to soak in, otherwise I accidentally transfer it up to the top of my head where it sits looking greasy.

midsummernight
March 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM
My favorite ones right now are Neelibhrigadi for my scalp and HennaSooq's Cocoveda for my length. It leaves my hair so soft and shiny.
Hi I was wondering where you bought the neelibringadi oil? I remember that my mom used to use that for hair loss back in india. I used it a few times then and I loved it. Now I dont know where to buy it in the US... Please help!!!

dragaica
March 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
second to that - coconut oil for night mask- also for polished braids...:) and fancy updoos.

dragaica
March 4th, 2012, 12:42 PM
by the way- not first of my favorites - but one of them - amla oil from khadi- smells great and darkens:D my hair.

TooShort
March 4th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Right now I am enjoying coconut oil as a leave in over night and shampoo out the next day thing. I have also used Biosilk on a daily basis but now that I have used coconut oil once or twice a week I don't think I need a "daily" oil but I am at that beginning of this experiment. We shall see. It seems as if it is easy to “overly” oil my hair as I have to shampoo it everyday because it seems too greasy and I know shampooing everyday isn’t good. I also use a blowfryer (SHAME, SHAME) I know.

TiffanieJean
March 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I guess my favorite by default is Jojoba oil. It's done wonders for my dry scalp problem, and it's the oil I have used the longest.

My favorite is now transitioning to Castor Oil tho ( just started OCM). I like Almond Oil a lot too. :)

TooShort
March 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I didn't care to much for jojoba and actually gave my left overs to a friend who loves it. Her hair is thicker and has waves. I think I would like to try alma and almond. I do understand why people switch from a "summer" oil and a "winter oil. Coconut Oil solidifies in cooler temperatures only makes sense you would switch, you would get maximum benefits as an oil not a solid. Thanks.

SakuraGirl
March 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I am using a mixture of jojoba, almond and castor oil mixed with essential oils. This is put on my ends the night before I wash my hair :)

diamantenstaub
March 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I love Amla oil but my hair loves coconut...

Littlewing13
March 5th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I've just discovered grapeseed oil as leave in. I use on damp hair & it helps me detangle.

I use coconut or olive oil nightly on ends, then braid. Every morning I condition the ends of my hair even if I dont wash & that removes oils.

deja
September 12th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Coconut on the ends. Argon in the roots.

jacqueline101
September 15th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Mine is my own mix but I found tresseme shine spray to be great.

deja
September 16th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Coconut, argon and I'm just starting to use castor.

BrendaLoan
September 16th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Coconut and macadamia :love:

MsSunshine
September 17th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Lately, I've been using sweet almond oil weekly for a deep treatment and grapeseed oil weekly for a hot oil treatment. Both seem to be helping my EXTREMELY damaged hair.

Agnes Hannah
September 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Coconut or argan oil for me. My hair is fine but loves these, it soaks up the oils with relish.

Courtland
September 20th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Argan oil because my scalp is naturally oily (so I need something lighter than jojoba). I haven't tried coconut oil yet.

mscm
September 22nd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Lately, I've been using sweet almond oil weekly for a deep treatment and grapeseed oil weekly for a hot oil treatment. Both seem to be helping my EXTREMELY damaged hair.
What type of grapeseed oil do you use, what kind of brand? Want to try that myself! :)

kmcg
September 22nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
I add a few drops of jojoba oil + couple Tbsp aloe to my conditioning hair rinses. Since I don't use commercial shampoos coconut oil usually makes my hair wayyyy too greasy and will not wash out but I'm considering trying it again. Any tips for someone not using conventional shampoo? Occasionally I use it before swimming as a way to protect from chlorine damage and as a quick body oil since it has an SPF of 4-5.
Also, considering that my hair frequently gets in my face I steer away from oils that may aggravate my acne prone skin. Grape seed, sunflower and almond oil are great med.-light weight oils.
Amla and argan are on my 'to try' list after I run out. Tamanu oil is my favorite for everything but I reserve it for my face since it's on the pricey side.
Lately my favorite oil add in is a mix of sunflower + almond oil that I infused with coffee grounds. It brings out my low lights and highlights.

VJG
September 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
I like using a bit of jojoba on my ends before braiding it at night. Occasionally I'll mix jojoba with rosemary essential oil for a scalp massage.

mscm
September 22nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Right now I am sitting with castoroil on my scalp and avocado oil in the lenghts. Castor and coconutoil are my favorites:) do it the day before washing, so maybe twice a week

HintOfMint
September 22nd, 2013, 06:14 PM
I love coconut oil and I'll use it as a heavy pre-wash oiling. However, olive oil also leaves a very nice finish both as a leave-in and as a pre-wash oiling, but I just don't use it as much as my scalp isn't keen on it.

Warda
September 23rd, 2013, 12:34 AM
My favorite oil would be coconut oil. I use it as a heavy pre-wash oiling. But I also use almond oil while my hair is wet and castor oil on my scalp.

AmyBeth
September 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
I think my favorite is avocado oil. It seem to give my very fine, very tangle prone hair the most slip. But I think different oils have different properties, and change it up all the time. Olive, coconut, almond, avocado, vitamin E, shea, cocoa butter- I use them all.

caren
September 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM
Coconut (for everything, always. Seriously. I use it as a leave in, on my ends, as a lotion for my skin, makeup remover, as chapstick, in salad dressing, to make vegan pie.)
Sesame (for ends)
EVOO (for ends, because it is convenient. At a friend's house? NP. They always have EVOO in their kitchen).
Argan (ends and length, though I am stingy with it because it's wicked expensive)

I have liked Jojoba, but weirdly now it doesn't do much for my hair.

Chelyl
September 26th, 2013, 09:07 AM
My favorite oils are argan and olive. I use olive oil in sauna and I mix argan oil with leave in conditioner. I hate split ends and this trick works for me.

MissMaryMac
September 27th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I am another jojoba oil user. Not sure if it is my 'favorite', it's just the only oil I have and it seems to work really nice in my hair. I use it every couple of weeks liberally right after a wash. It makes my curls really defined and bouncy.

Jerimi
September 27th, 2013, 09:42 AM
*removing my posts*

hannabiss
September 27th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I use a mix of castor oil and coconut oil for daily scalp massage. And coconut oil for preshampoo oil.

lunalocks
September 27th, 2013, 07:41 PM
I have tried them all. Well almost. Still have to try avacado oil. But, baby oil is it for me. one to two drops on ends and length after washing and at night before bunning, keeps the ends nice and frizzies away.