PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching Question

sfgirl
February 21st, 2012, 06:30 PM
So I LOVE having white blonde hair, I really do. I realized my mistake last time is besides bleaching just the growth, I was using 40 developer with my toner n the length, which is where I think the damage came from, because before I used that toner, my hair was in ok condition, even with the horrible stuff I did to it.
Do you think It would be possible to get to tailbone or classic with just bleaching the roots, and using a non damaging toner such as manic panic, and also using no heat, and super babying my hair, and putting it up into protective styles everyday, going cone free, and using shampoo bars, plus oiling?

Is this possible or am I just partaking in wishful thinking over here?

I'm at such a loss....

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
It is possible... I have seen members with bleached blonde hair that is VERY long. The only problem would be damage, and perhaps breakage of the hair + he fact that chemicals at then root are not that great fro your hair or scalp or your body.

But yes, to answer your question it is possible to bleach and grow your hair long. Whether your hair will look healthy or not is a different question...

sfgirl
February 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
That's why I was wondering if I could avoid the damage and breakage if treated my hair like antique lace in every way regardless of the bleaching. It's really important to me that I have healthy hair also. :/ Thank you for your input

holomi
February 21st, 2012, 07:05 PM
What is your natural color? When I bleached my hair white blonde for years, I never passed BSL due to breakage and trimming to keep it healthy. My hair would not have been healthy past BSL, if I had grown it longer than that.

While I bleached, my hair was also a lot thinner in circumference. I never used heat and it was in good condition, but I was very cautious with it, other than the bleaching of the roots. It definitely made my hair more fragile and prone to breakage. I still had my soft texture, but the hairs would break off very easily.

It depends on your natural hair color and texture, I think. My hair is also naturally a Level 3 or 4 (Medium to Dark Brown) and fine.

maborosi
February 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM
When I bleached, I did an extremely heavy oiling with coconut oil the night before my bleaching, and let it sit overnight. This helps prevent so much damage that bleach usually causes, and coconut oil doesn't affect the bleaching process at all. (though some others might)

That can be very useful for you if you want long hair and want to bleach it, too. :flower:

~maborosi~

justgreen
February 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
My hair is VERY healthy with very few split ends. What makes the difference is having it done professionally. And it's not that expensive. $50-$60 every six weeks to have the roots highlighted. Anywhere between 40-50 foils. Using 40 vol for 45 minutes. My natural hair color is dark auburn.

sfgirl
February 22nd, 2012, 01:58 AM
holomi, my natural hair color is kind of fluctuates from a 6 in the darker parts to a 7 as it gets longer. It is VERY fine. I have never seen someone with as fine of hair as me. My circumference is hard to get, because I can't get all my hair back in a ponytail because I'm growing out bangs and front layers, but I get about 2.5 inches on multiple measurings ....
maborosi I've heard of that, and I am willing to try it out. :)
justgreen You have beautiful hair, and I have talked to you about it before. :) I've tried foils before, and they don't look as good on my as all over color on me. Do you think having my roots professionally done would be as ok as getting foils? I'm not sure if a stylist would let me saturate my hair in coconut oil beforehand though.

I really only do my roots about every three or four months because it takes THAT long for them to look bad because the first month or two my natural color actually just blends in. I'm bad at judging my natural color because My hair darkened at 12, and I started bleaching at 14. During those two year I was really shy, had bad acne, greasy hair (from puberty, I've never had that problem again as long as I wash my hair every three or four days), and I was flat chested, and super super skinny (like 60 lbs...), oh and I JUST got glasses. So there's no pictures from those two years AT ALL.

I'm willing to do whatever else it takes to have long hair though is the thing! LOL I always hated heat styling anyways, my hair won't hold heat curls, and I didn't get why I should straighten my already pretty straight hair. :shrug:

Thank you everyone SO much for your input. I know it may seem silly, and I feel so silly for wanting to keep my blonde hair. But red hair doesn't suit me (I have freckles and it makes my skin red), and my eyebrows are two light for dark hair.

PorkChop
February 22nd, 2012, 02:11 AM
When I bleached, I did an extremely heavy oiling with coconut oil the night before my bleaching, and let it sit overnight. This helps prevent so much damage that bleach usually causes, and coconut oil doesn't affect the bleaching process at all. (though some others might)

That can be very useful for you if you want long hair and want to bleach it, too. :flower:

~maborosi~

Hi, do you mean you leave the oil on when youre getting it bleached. Or wash the oil out just before you get it bleached?

justgreen
February 22nd, 2012, 09:04 AM
I think getting all over roots done would be ok, if you had them done at a good salon. My stylist brushes conditioner on my length before brushing the bleach on the roots.

TeaGarden
February 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
I don't dye my hair white-blonde, but I'm close enough. I naturally have "dishwater" blonde hair that leans on the darker side. I dye my hair swedish blonde. My hair is a little past BSL and is pretty healthy, but I only leave the hair color on my roots, I don't apply it to my length. My hair seems to be in good condition. (So far.)

But I guess I'm in a similar boat as you, because I really want hip length hair AND keep the swedish blonde color. I really dislike my natural blonde.

sfgirl
February 22nd, 2012, 11:02 PM
justgreen Thank you, I will tell my stylist that. :)
TeaGarden Do you feel that you need to extra-baby your hair? (LOL I don't think that's a word)
Mine gets really light, to a Gwen Stefani color with the bleach, and than I switched to manic panic toner because it's more gentle as a toner.

Anouther reason I love having super blonde hair is I have a tendency to put in crazy colors like pink, or mint, or lavender. :) I think once I (hopefully) hit waist, than I will dye my entire head baby pink instead of just the pink I have in my bangs at the moment

sfgirl
February 25th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Bumping this thread to say I'm going to continue bleaching my hair, but try the coconut oil method. :) I've seen some amazing healthy hair on here, that has been lightened. I'll just have to extra baby my hair. :)